Michelle Bachmann
- 13 (12%)
Chris Christie
- 23 (21.3%)
Rand Paul
- 49 (45.4%)

Total Members Voted: 107

Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 667

Author Topic: Bay12 Election Night Watch Party  (Read 820488 times)

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: FearfulJesuit's American Politics Megathread Two: Election Boogaloo
« Reply #481 on: March 05, 2013, 12:40:31 pm »

Ah... character assassination.  Tried and true ain't it?
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #482 on: March 05, 2013, 12:45:57 pm »

Made the mistake of reading some of the comments. Who filled these people with stupidity and bile, and why does it always seem to come out on the internet?

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #483 on: March 05, 2013, 12:50:08 pm »

Made the mistake of reading some of the comments. Who filled these people with stupidity and bile, and why does it always seem to come out on the internet?

Hehe.

you sound like one of those rude kids with know future.

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #484 on: March 05, 2013, 01:06:26 pm »

GIFT. That is all
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #485 on: March 05, 2013, 01:37:09 pm »

I think that's been proven to be a load of bullocks. Fact is, most of these people are just as reprehensible on platforms where they have no anonymity at all.

The modified form of "no consequences" is much more reasonable. Audiance+No Consequences is more than enough incentive for a great many people to turn into raging asshats.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #486 on: March 05, 2013, 03:08:11 pm »

Agreed with Glyph. Immunity to repercussions, and thus lack of disincentive, is why people show their true face in such situations.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #487 on: March 05, 2013, 03:28:24 pm »

This explains both the internet AND most frats.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #488 on: March 05, 2013, 03:39:47 pm »

Doesn't help when people give it positive reinforcement or being mostly indifferent, especially people in their monkeysphere.  Strangers being disapproving have far less of an overall impact.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #489 on: March 05, 2013, 03:45:27 pm »

On the flip side, subcultures which deserve no ire can go do their own thing without people raining on their parade. Ex: Furries.

Ultimately I prefer situations without repercussions on this sort of behavior. Mainly because wolves are out in the open rather than hiding in sheep's clothing like they do in real life, along with the above thing about subcultures.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #490 on: March 05, 2013, 06:54:01 pm »

Edited point removed that I didn't really feel like pursuing.

http://www.armytimes.com/news/2013/03/military-hagel-sequestration-030113w

Hagel, who served as an Army infantry sergeant in Vietnam and was sworn in as head of the Pentagon on Wednesday, spoke shortly after President Obama announced that the sweeping budget cuts known as sequestration will officially take effect at midnight.

Those cuts will require a roughly 10 percent reduction in planned spending across all the military services.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2013, 07:30:02 pm by Strife26 »
Even the avatars expire eventually.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #491 on: March 05, 2013, 07:41:22 pm »

I think that's been proven to be a load of bullocks. Fact is, most of these people are just as reprehensible on platforms where they have no anonymity at all.

The modified form of "no consequences" is much more reasonable. Audiance+No Consequences is more than enough incentive for a great many people to turn into raging asshats.
Exactly. This is how society functions. It's the purpose of names and any ID, to make you not able to escape your past.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #492 on: March 05, 2013, 09:50:03 pm »

Exactly. This is how society functions. It's the purpose of names and any ID, to make you not able to escape your past.
Cause there are people who instead of getting their kicks directly being assholish... get their kicks from digging up the dirt in the name of 'social justice' and distributing it.  Destroying someone else without consequences.

It goes both ways, trolling can and will get more personal.  Can it be classified as bullying if it gets to that?

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #493 on: March 05, 2013, 10:39:37 pm »

misko, most of the population doesn't CARE if their name or id is attached to their actions, because as long as they aren't acting within their own immediate monkey sphere (aren't shitting where they eat) there are not going to be any consequences of note.

The internet gives people opportunities to be vile more often and find a supportive audience for it. Anonymity, imo, barely plays a role in that. The only exception is if people are in a situation where they can face serious consequences for their actions, but the number of people who post this sort of stuff under their own name or even with their facebook account have put a lie to the fact that "names" and "id" and "being unable to escape from your past" are somehow enough to do put a dent in that behaviour, when they aren't.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #494 on: March 05, 2013, 11:02:35 pm »

I'm going to second the comment about positive reinforcement.  I think it's more significant in explaining the ugly side of internet culture than anonymity.  People don't do these things just to chuckle about it to themselves.  The internet is, unfortunately, a place where even the worst ideas and behaviors can find reinforcement.  It's all about the attention.  Trolling has even been gained a weird sort of respect in internet culture as an art form, and it's way too easy for people to gain respect or encouragement just for being an asshole.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 667