Michelle Bachmann
- 13 (12%)
Chris Christie
- 23 (21.3%)
Rand Paul
- 49 (45.4%)

Total Members Voted: 107

Pages: 1 ... 290 291 [292] 293 294 ... 667

Author Topic: Bay12 Election Night Watch Party  (Read 821961 times)

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
Re: FJ's American Politics Megathread Two: Celebrating Four Decades of Malaise
« Reply #4365 on: November 09, 2013, 02:08:44 am »

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2013/nov/8/gop-preps-keep-your-plan-bill-after-obama-apology/

http://wendellpotter.com/2013/11/what-congress-didnt-say-obamacare-outlaws-policies-that-are-essentially-worthless/

Democrats should, in my opinion, vote against the Keep your Plan Bill or whatever it's called. So should everyone else, but I'm less than hopeful that would be considered as an option by most of the Republicans who will vote on the bill as it weakens the ACA.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2013, 02:22:20 am by Duuvian »
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4366 on: November 09, 2013, 11:27:49 am »

Will it have much impact? The policies that will be grandfathered in will eventually be discontinued anyway because people cannot sign up on them.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #4367 on: November 09, 2013, 03:41:24 pm »

Well the insurers would do anything they possibly could to keep people on the plans, including greatly bending the definition of the plan to keep people grandfathered.  If those plans were the only ones exempt from all the regulations that apply to other plans, they'd be massively, massively profitable.  They'd be getting all the upside of Obamacare while still getting to pick and chose people and deny them if they get sick.  Greed follows the money.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4368 on: November 10, 2013, 06:50:00 am »

You couldn't pick and choose patients, because no one could sign on those plans anymore. As people switch to other plans, their dwindling enrollment will mean insurer will discontinue them sooner or later.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4369 on: November 10, 2013, 10:32:47 am »

I wouldn't be surprised if they grandfathered in plans being sold to companies though, I mean they are people too after all. Which would mean companies could offer less than equitable insurance and still avoid the "tax" on uninsured employees.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #4370 on: November 10, 2013, 10:36:22 am »

You couldn't pick and choose patients, because no one could sign on those plans anymore. As people switch to other plans, their dwindling enrollment will mean insurer will discontinue them sooner or later.

They've already did pick and chose, when they signed people up the first time.  The people who would stay on a grandfathered plan wouldn't be the unhealthy ones who are paying 3 or 4 times what they can get on the exchange.  They'd be the healthy people who don't yet know what "pre-existing condition" can mean when you are sick.  And they wouldn't move because the insurers would always have an incentive to price those plans below market since those are the only plans they'd be allowed to manage the old way.

When you buy car insurance and don't crash your car, your premiums pay for everyone who does crash their car.  That's the service you are paying for.  When you buy health insurance and stay healthy, the profits on your insurance pay for anyone who does get sick and keeps their coverage.  But a grandfathered plan would be able to keep the sick people out, meaning the profits are straight profit, with much less "medical loss".  The open enrollment plans on the other hand would have a slightly sicker average membership due to those healthy people being removed from the pool, driving up premiums for the general population.

The way it works is simple wealth distribution.  The members of the grandfathered plan get a small piece of the pie to get them to play ball.  The companies keep whatever they can convince those people not to.  And everyone else is legally unable to keep from footing the bill in terms of higher premiums.  Yes eventually those grandfathered plans disappear due to people moving on or getting dropped.  But the companies have an extremely strong incentive to keep them going as long as possible.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #4371 on: November 10, 2013, 10:51:15 pm »

Christie continues to shoot himself in the primary foot by not being a madman. Alas, he's probably the closest thing to an honest candidate the GOP is likely to see for a while.

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4372 on: November 10, 2013, 10:58:32 pm »

He'd be much better served by actually moving to a centrist position, though. I think he could win if he does it early enough, though obviously I hope he does not.

Although, Ted Cruz may win the primaries and make it all moot, but still.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4373 on: November 10, 2013, 11:00:19 pm »

He'd be much better served by actually moving to a centrist position, though. I think he could win if he does it early enough, though obviously I hope he does not.

Although, Ted Cruz may win the primaries and make it all moot, but still.

That's the thing. If he clears the primary hurdle, he'll very likely win. But I'm not sure he can.

I don't think Cruz could win the primary. Right now I'd put my money on Rubio, although we haven't heard much from him recently.

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4374 on: November 10, 2013, 11:03:31 pm »

I doubt Cruz's odds as well, but he's still a contender. It's possible, if unlikely, that he could win the primaries.

Of course, such an event would be followed by the Democrats inheriting the Union for several years.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4375 on: November 10, 2013, 11:34:31 pm »

I doubt Cruz's odds as well, but he's still a contender. It's possible, if unlikely, that he could win the primaries.

Of course, such an event would be followed by the Democrats inheriting the Union for several years.

I'm not so sure...remember the disaster that was George McGovern? Carter (Christie being our probable analogue) won the White House four years later. Of course, Watergate was an exceptional circumstance...

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #4376 on: November 10, 2013, 11:47:44 pm »

I would pay through the nose to see a Ted Cruz candidacy. I would give my left pinkie for that. It is just too wonderful to imagine. The Democrats could simply put Ted Cruz's speech quotes on billboards and win.
Quote from: Ted Cruz
I think the Moon might be as intimidating as Obamacare.
I will credit my father, he invented … green eggs and ham. He did it two ways. The easy way was he would put green food coloring in. ‘Green eggs and ham’ was my favorite book as a little boy. You can actually do it – the food coloring is a little bit cheating. But if you take spinach and mix it into the eggs, the eggs turn green.
I like their little burgers. … I’m a big fan of eating White Castle burgers.
The Democrats would need to field an admitted communist to meet the extreme in Ted Cruz, and even the communist would have the better odds because he simply wouldn't be as crazy.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4377 on: November 10, 2013, 11:49:51 pm »

I'd like to see a polling center do that one. "If given the choice between the two, which do you prefer for the office of President of the United States: an unnamed radical communist, or Ted Cruz?"
No Gods, No Masters.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4378 on: November 10, 2013, 11:58:58 pm »

Huh. I wasn't aware I could reset the poll and make it votable again. We'll have to have more polls.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #4379 on: November 11, 2013, 12:56:39 am »

What kind of communist carries a card? Real comrades tattoo their foreheads.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.
Pages: 1 ... 290 291 [292] 293 294 ... 667