Michelle Bachmann
- 13 (12%)
Chris Christie
- 23 (21.3%)
Rand Paul
- 49 (45.4%)

Total Members Voted: 107

Pages: 1 ... 289 290 [291] 292 293 ... 667

Author Topic: Bay12 Election Night Watch Party  (Read 822002 times)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Re: FJ's American Politics Megathread Two: Celebrating Four Decades of Malaise
« Reply #4350 on: November 07, 2013, 11:35:11 pm »

I will note that my early memories of 9/11 did not involve my cartoons being pre-empted, and that at the time I remarked to my parents that I thought it was odd.

But being 7 at the time, I did not think it was odd because of the scale of the tragedy, but rather because literally almost every other channel was talking about it, and so logically it was unusual for the cartoon channels not to be.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4351 on: November 07, 2013, 11:45:24 pm »

That's because you had "cartoon channels".
We just had "channels". Which sometimes had cartoons on them.
And occasionally test patterns when they turned off the TV station for the night. >_>

dang whippersnappers

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #4352 on: November 07, 2013, 11:48:26 pm »

I'm not sure if you can really call it nostalgia if you hadn't even been conceived when it happened.
It does not require having been alive then to have a smoothed over, simplified or romanticized view of the past. In fact it's a lot easier to look back fondly on the past when you didn't go through it the first time around.
Seriously - other than 'Lost to Reagan' what the hell did he do wrong? Everything I've read, seen, and heard indicates he avoided screwing things up and making things worse, and did at least a bit to make things better in many ways.
I'm speaking on the principle, I do not know enough about Mr. Carter to speak of him specifically, beyond knowing he is not well-liked outside of the newer generation, largely because of his recent charity efforts in Africa.
I will note that my early memories of 9/11 did not involve my cartoons being pre-empted, and that at the time I remarked to my parents that I thought it was odd.

But being 7 at the time, I did not think it was odd because of the scale of the tragedy, but rather because literally almost every other channel was talking about it, and so logically it was unusual for the cartoon channels not to be.
I for one wasn't concerned with cartoons at all. In fact my sole memory of that day, despite having been rushedly taken out of what I think was kindergarten by my Mom as my father returned from downtown, was looking at the TV and thinking "Oh, that building is on fire. Huh, that's interesting."
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4353 on: November 08, 2013, 12:00:29 am »

That's because you had "cartoon channels".
We just had "channels". Which sometimes had cartoons on them.
And occasionally test patterns when they turned off the TV station for the night. >_>

dang whippersnappers
We had one channel, it was called outside.
The weather report was my least favorite bit.

confounded peons

alexandertnt

• Bay Watcher
  • (map 'list (lambda (post) (+ post awesome)) posts)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4354 on: November 08, 2013, 12:45:59 am »

It does not require having been alive then to have a smoothed over, simplified or romanticized view of the past. In fact it's a lot easier to look back fondly on the past when you didn't go through it the first time around

I dont think statements like "I don't think he was a horrible president" give a particularly strong impression of fondness.
This is when I imagine the hilarity which may happen if certain things are glichy. Such as targeting your own body parts to eat.

You eat your own head
YOU HAVE BEEN STRUCK DOWN!

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4355 on: November 08, 2013, 12:49:24 am »

ummmmmmm, I know this is gleen beck and all, but his just tops the crazy tree here

For context, Gleen Beck makes a Wizard of Oz analogy using dolls from the movie...for 10 minutes, topping off with putting on ruby slippers and going "there's no place like home".

Trust me, it's even more bizarre than it sounds
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #4356 on: November 08, 2013, 07:09:26 pm »

So apparently, Cuccinelli actually won the youth vote (18-24) vote on Tuesday. What was up with that?
« Last Edit: November 08, 2013, 07:12:54 pm by FearfulJesuit »

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4357 on: November 08, 2013, 07:16:48 pm »

I wouldn't put much stock into the demographics of off-year elections. It's a weird time, as demonstrated by the Modern Whig that is now a judge of elections in Philadelphia.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4358 on: November 08, 2013, 07:20:23 pm »

I wouldn't put much stock into the demographics of off-year elections. It's a weird time, as demonstrated by the Modern Whig that is now a judge of elections in Philadelphia.

Sure, but don't off-year elections mostly determine the ratios of different demographics (more crochety old white folks as opposed to everyone else), not the electoral composition of the individual blocs?

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

GreatJustice

• Bay Watcher
  • ☭The adventure continues (refresh)☭
    • View Profile
« Reply #4359 on: November 08, 2013, 07:46:12 pm »

Eh... Ron Paul endorsed him I guess? I'd say it's pretty easy to overstate how Democratic leaning 18-24 voters are compared to other demographics in general though, since Obama was pretty close to being the perfect fit in that regard. McAuliffe is basically a Clinton style Democrat from what I've heard, and Clinton isn't exactly known for bringing out those Democratic youth voters.
The person supporting regenerating health, when asked why you can see when shot in the eye justified it as 'you put on an eyepatch'. When asked what happens when you are then shot in the other eye, he said that you put an eyepatch on that eye. When asked how you'd be able to see, he said that your first eye would have healed by then.

Professional Bridge Toll Collector?

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4360 on: November 08, 2013, 07:48:27 pm »

Indeed. I'm pretty certain it is not because there are a secret majority of Tea Party Republicans amongst the youth vote, as virtually every other analysis on the subject will give you that data. Not that it will keep the Tea Party from assuming they've finally become conservative enough for their secret youth vote and continuing on the path of madness.
No Gods, No Masters.

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #4361 on: November 08, 2013, 07:58:55 pm »

Before I left the cesspool of the internet for the last few years there were a lot of libertarians spouting there to argue with. I'd imagine it's the same on other powerful communities. It would not surprise me to learn that some young people are convinced there that some of their interests are shared by libertarians, notably legalization of marijuana.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2013, 08:01:20 pm by Duuvian »
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #4364 on: November 08, 2013, 11:12:31 pm »

Seriously - other than 'Lost to Reagan' what the hell did he do wrong? Everything I've read, seen, and heard indicates he avoided screwing things up and making things worse, and did at least a bit to make things better in many ways.

Carter receives such hate because he was unpopular and he was liberal.  The conservatives mindset is that they are the only legitimate rulers of the country.  That necessitates that any liberal president be an unworthy usurper.  The problem is that with so many liberal president examples (liberal being defined as "not a member of the conservative movement"), you need a punching bag to bring up or the point grows awkward.  Carter is all they have.  Anyone who knows who FDR is loves him except for the libertarian fringe.  Truman's domestic policy was too obscure and non-controversial and his foreign policy was too successful and ballsy to go after.  JFK died a martyr in the public mythos.  LBJ's policies are the exact things that liberals want people to remember and conservatives don't (domestically ramming medicare and civil rights down conservative throats, internationally, going into Vietnam with their full support).  After all this we finally get to Carter.  He comes at the end of 40 years of democratic domination of politics and liberal presidents who were fine with telling the conservatives to shove it.  So 40 years of pent up rage ends up on him and they hate him even though he didn't do that much to hate.

Then of course comes the timing of his legacy.  The previous liberal presidents all came from a time when the "real america" was seen as being democratic due to democratic dominance at the ballot box.  So when conservatives spit rage, they weren't speaking for everyone in the popular mythos and we tend not to remember their complaints.  But Jimmy retired into a country where conservatives were hitting their high water mark of the century.  For a 12 year period, conservatives could claim a popular mandate and they used that mandate to heap it on Carter.  12 years of that was plenty of time to get from "conservatives hate Carter" to "Everybody knows Carter sucks."

They tried to same thing with Clinton and failed just reinforcing the "Slick Willie" myth.  It's not hard to understand why they failed though if you aren't a Republican, the Clinton years are good and the GOP made an ass of itself over lewinsky.  It's because of this failure that Clinton is described as possessing Godlike powers in political discourse.  It's stupid, Clinton's o'shucks accent didn't give him mind control powers.  But people believe it because they need some explanation for why Clinton wasn't Carter and can't see the obvious, not even Carter was ever the Carter as we remember him.

And if you look at Obama, it's more of the same.  Fast and Furious!  Bengazi!  IRS prosecutions!  Solyndra!  Birth Certificate!  It's all pretty similar to the stuff that was heaped on Truman, LBJ and JFK.  Carter got that treatment too.  It's just that when Carter did, more people voted against him and that was seen as an endorsement of the hatred of him.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.
Pages: 1 ... 289 290 [291] 292 293 ... 667