Michelle Bachmann
- 13 (12%)
Chris Christie
- 23 (21.3%)
Rand Paul
- 49 (45.4%)

Total Members Voted: 107

Pages: 1 ... 288 289 [290] 291 292 ... 667

Author Topic: Bay12 Election Night Watch Party  (Read 822000 times)

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
Re: FearfulJesuit's American Politics Megathread Two: Vote Kony 2016
« Reply #4335 on: November 07, 2013, 05:57:59 pm »

Dude sure loves to hype his book. More importantly, though, it seems a little simplistic, while spending most of its time criticizing an even more simplistic idea of the US as a monolithic culture (which, to be fair, is a thing that does need to be criticized). The book maybe delineates them better, but the article seems to spend most of its time dealing with opinions on vengeance vs. reformation in justice, creating a single dichotomy instead of something producing eleven "nations". It concludes by admitting that two of those nations overshadow everyone else, which seems a strange way of supporting the idea that two isn't enough. For that matter, he's got a pretty clear bias in terms of the one he prefers, which makes me suspicious of the usefulness of this as an analytical framework. It's a fine enough idea for making a particular argument (this one), it just seems limited to that.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4336 on: November 07, 2013, 05:59:25 pm »

I don't know, man. I didn't get a "Scots and Irish are more violent", so much as a "Herding cultures are more violent, the Scots and Irish (at least periphery, where the immigration came from) are herding cultures."

Not necessarily. In the 18th and 19th centuries, the Lowland periphery (where the immigration came from) were quite diverse in their agriculture. A lot of arable farming went on down in the Lowlands because the land is fertile. Though herding was very common in the Lowlands and the Highlands, it's the Highlands that are more defined by that than anywhere else. I can't speak for Ireland unfortunately.
Ahh, the stout Irish potato herder, lovingly tending to his flock of spuds as they roam Ireland's green fields....  :P

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4337 on: November 07, 2013, 06:18:38 pm »

Dude sure loves to hype his book. More importantly, though, it seems a little simplistic, while spending most of its time criticizing an even more simplistic idea of the US as a monolithic culture (which, to be fair, is a thing that does need to be criticized). The book maybe delineates them better, but the article seems to spend most of its time dealing with opinions on vengeance vs. reformation in justice, creating a single dichotomy instead of something producing eleven "nations". It concludes by admitting that two of those nations overshadow everyone else, which seems a strange way of supporting the idea that two isn't enough. For that matter, he's got a pretty clear bias in terms of the one he prefers, which makes me suspicious of the usefulness of this as an analytical framework. It's a fine enough idea for making a particular argument (this one), it just seems limited to that.
+1.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #4338 on: November 07, 2013, 07:08:47 pm »

I don't know, man. I didn't get a "Scots and Irish are more violent", so much as a "Herding cultures are more violent, the Scots and Irish (at least periphery, where the immigration came from) are herding cultures."

Not necessarily. In the 18th and 19th centuries, the Lowland periphery (where the immigration came from) were quite diverse in their agriculture. A lot of arable farming went on down in the Lowlands because the land is fertile. Though herding was very common in the Lowlands and the Highlands, it's the Highlands that are more defined by that than anywhere else. I can't speak for Ireland unfortunately.
Ahh, the stout Irish potato herder, lovingly tending to his flock of spuds as they roam Ireland's green fields....  :P
Indeed.  Was it not Mad Cow disease that swept Ireland so long ago, and gave rise to the Potato famine that brought them here?

Interesting, but ultimately flawed by the broad-brushstroke approach and ignoring massive demographic shifts over the last 40 years. While the Tidewater region may have had its origins in English planter gentry society, the antebellum families that once held sway are almost demographically invisible today. (Oddly, he places Wilmington, NC in the Deep South region when it's actually one of the few areas of North Carolina that *does* still have some connection to its colonial and antebellum gentrified past.)

The running joke in the Triangle (Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill) is that no around here is actually *from* here. RTP brought massive influxes of population from places like New York, Pennsylvania and Ontario and many of them preferred to stay even after their jobs no longer required it. Likewise, the Norfolk naval complex and the bedroom communities of Washington DC bring large numbers of internal immigrants from other parts of the country, and have been for decades.
Also this. Upper New York was placed in Yankeedom, despite being a snowy forest version of the rural south.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: November 07, 2013, 08:34:35 pm by FearfulJesuit »

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4342 on: November 07, 2013, 10:42:38 pm »

The spawn of Jimmy Carter has sunk his claws of malaise into politics.

Can anyone tell I'm bored?
They say if you chant his mantra three times, Carter will appear from the ether. Malaise malaise malaise.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
Re: FJ's American Politics Megathread Two: Celebrating Four Decades of Malaise
« Reply #4343 on: November 07, 2013, 11:16:37 pm »

Aww, Carter was a great guy, if a horrible president.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4344 on: November 07, 2013, 11:18:41 pm »

I don't think he was a horrible president. You can't have much worse circumstances than he had. Just the same, Reagan couldn't have had better circumstances.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4345 on: November 07, 2013, 11:19:46 pm »

I never quite understood why people thought he was a horrible president. His main fault was that he wasn't re-elected, as far as I can tell. I'd much rather have had Carter than most of our recent Presidents...
« Last Edit: November 07, 2013, 11:28:58 pm by GlyphGryph »

misko27

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4346 on: November 07, 2013, 11:23:26 pm »

Ahh, the warm, blurry, rose-colored glow of nostalgia.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4347 on: November 07, 2013, 11:24:38 pm »

I'm not sure if you can really call it nostalgia if you hadn't even been conceived when it happened.
No Gods, No Masters.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4348 on: November 07, 2013, 11:31:21 pm »

Seriously - other than 'Lost to Reagan' what the hell did he do wrong? Everything I've read, seen, and heard indicates he avoided screwing things up and making things worse, and did at least a bit to make things better in many ways.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4349 on: November 07, 2013, 11:31:42 pm »

Speak for yourselves.

Actually one of my earliest memories is Reagan getting shot. Mostly because it pissed me off that they pre-empted my cartoons.

EDIT: One thing that Carter did wrong -- started arming the Afghan mujhadeen. Granted, that was more Brezinzki's decision than Carter's, but Carter approved it. And also granted, I probably would have done the same wrong thing, given the time period.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2013, 11:33:54 pm by RedKing »

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.
Pages: 1 ... 288 289 [290] 291 292 ... 667