Michelle Bachmann
- 13 (12%)
Chris Christie
- 23 (21.3%)
Rand Paul
- 49 (45.4%)

Total Members Voted: 107

Pages: 1 ... 276 277 [278] 279 280 ... 667

Author Topic: Bay12 Election Night Watch Party  (Read 822381 times)

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
Re: FearfulJesuit's American Politics Megathread Two: Vote Kony 2016
« Reply #4155 on: November 01, 2013, 04:12:19 pm »

I don't think you get it PTTG, things I personally like can't do atrocities.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4156 on: November 01, 2013, 04:12:40 pm »

I'm not "getting at" anything. It's just what happens every time.

Though I did want to add that it's apparently from the Sheriff himself that some kind of "assault rifle". His words.

Yes and the Sheriff is probably an idiot who thinks an AR-15 is an assault rifle.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #4157 on: November 01, 2013, 04:13:03 pm »

Guess no officer at the scene had their own gun to shoot the original shooter dead when he brandished his own weapon, or after he fired any number of shots. Guess there were not adequate safety precautions to make sure that no one with a firearm gained access to the densely occupied area. Guess it's not as heavily protected as it reports itself to be.
Lol

Everyone, run and put on your psychopath apologist caps because it's a toy you like.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Hotfire90

« Reply #4158 on: November 01, 2013, 04:13:18 pm »

« Last Edit: July 22, 2014, 04:58:50 pm by Hotfire90 »

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4159 on: November 01, 2013, 04:15:25 pm »

I don't think you get it PTTG, things I personally like can't do atrocities.

I've never liked the whole "guns make things safer" argument, it doesn't really work. I support gun rights but I don't really go for the whole self defence thing, though teachers being able to arm themselves if they choose makes sense to me because schools are common targets.

Lol

Everyone, run and put on your psychopath apologist caps because it's a toy you like.

He's not being a psychopath apologist, he's saying the airport isn't as protected as it should be.

Apparently the LAX Shooter was an off-Duty TSA Agent.

The plot thickens. So he wasn't a "gun owner", a-la big bad scary redneck Republican baptist mass murderer, at all?

The gun was actually given to him by the state in the hope that he would protect and serve them? Because officers are so much more responsible with guns than average citizens? There's a reason why most British police officers don't carry guns.

Hmm, now they're saying he wasn't a TSA agent at all and that people were confused. A bit like with Aaron Alexis (we were told there were 3 shooters with handguns, "assault weapons" and other such bullshit) we should probably wait until tomorrow before we get the full picture and cut through media hype.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2013, 04:32:40 pm by Owlbread »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #4160 on: November 01, 2013, 04:23:05 pm »

Very few people do this in the gun community I believe based on what I've heard. They know it's a real minefield and regularly complain about having to go through various painstaking processes whenever they change states.
No clue about between states (though, iirc, a fair number of them have agreements between each other in regards to travel and gun transport*, at the very least), but I've definitely known people that have traveled a bit inside one to go where it's easier to get certified/buy weapons. Just as an anecdotal example, the concealed carry program in the area I went through it was a fucking joke, and if my memory hasn't completely failed me there were a couple of people (out of maybe a group of 12-15) from fairly far afield (though, being fair, the area's pretty sparse so getting folks from 50-60 miles/several counties over away isn't exactly a surprise. Still.) who showed up for it.

*It's a minefield, but from what I recall it's not a very confusing one, and where and how to step is pretty clear, in most cases.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4161 on: November 01, 2013, 04:24:48 pm »

The whole "If everyone has a gun, then no one is unsafe" sounds like Syndrome... uh, syndrome.

You know, from the Incredibles? "If everyone has powers, then no one will be super."

Except, no? It's more like "Holy shit, everyone has super-powers/guns!" than it is "Oh well since YOU have one I guess it doesn't matter that I do."

That movie always bugged me. Moral of the story: Technology is bullshit and doesn't give you -real- powers, and you're only worth something if everyone else isn't. :I
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4162 on: November 01, 2013, 04:37:50 pm »

According to the chief of police the shooter has survived and has been taken into police custody. It looks like the Chief of Police is an idiot after all.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2013, 04:42:17 pm by Owlbread »

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #4163 on: November 01, 2013, 04:45:53 pm »

According to the chief of police the shooter has survived and has been taken into police custody. It looks like the Chief of Police is an idiot after all.

The LAPD is rather notorious for its shittiness.

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

Chaoswizkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Bring on the Chaos
    • View Profile
    • Realms of Kar'Kaish New Site
« Reply #4164 on: November 01, 2013, 04:56:25 pm »

The whole "If everyone has a gun, then no one is unsafe" sounds like Syndrome... uh, syndrome.

You know, from the Incredibles? "If everyone has powers, then no one will be super."

Except, no? It's more like "Holy shit, everyone has super-powers/guns!" than it is "Oh well since YOU have one I guess it doesn't matter that I do."

That movie always bugged me. Moral of the story: Technology is bullshit and doesn't give you -real- powers, and you're only worth something if everyone else isn't. :I

The argument is more accurately, "The most polite conversation is one in which all participants are armed." No one rocks the boat, so to speak, because there are immediate and overwhelming consequences.

The issue with people having firearms is that some types of people will feel "more powerful" than others and will want to exert that power. They have the capability to threaten others and get what they want without fear of immediate retribution. They rob, they steal, they rape. It is an accessory of empowerment. The only thing that negates that empowerment is either removing the capability of possessing one (the gun control argument) or disallowing anyone being empowered by having a gun since other people also have guns (the anti-gun control argument, roughly). This is further compounded by gun-controlists thinking that gun control eliminating ownership of firearms is possible in this country, and anti-gun-controlists thinking that would be as successful as Prohibition or the War on Drugs in addition to being contrary to the culture of the United States, especially considering past government-endorsed public shooting of unarmed civilians in the US and the wholesale government-endorsed slaughter of civilians in other places in the world. I realize that the additional reasoning I've provided for the anti-gun-controlists is unfair to the gun-controlists, but I honestly don't know how the gun-controlists confront those particular issues. I'll leave it up to someone else to more accurately outline their arguments. I don't think anything I've said is wrong though.

Lol

He's not being a psychopath apologist, he's saying the airport isn't as protected as it should be.
Exactly. You're saying "Oh, look, people against gun control are wrong because the airport is supposed to be the most secure in the world and this still happened."
My argument is, "If he wasn't stopped at the airport gates, or if he wasn't shot and killed when he brought out his weapon, then the airport obviously isn't the most secure in the world." How are anti-gun-controlists wrong if the airport doesn't even apply to anti-gun-control, especially when it's in California?
This is also to say nothing of the failure of adequate psychological filtering that would prevent someone like this guy from ever being near a gun.
The above had to do with him being a part of the TSA, which now he maybe isn't? /shrug. It's still applicable, but much less so.

Why do either of you say that? I mean, if the guy was shot and killed then the Chief is an idiot because he's reporting false information, but assuming the guy is alive, why? Unless that has to do with the youtube video, which I'm not going to watch just yet because I'm downloading something and my connection sucks for doing more than one thing at a time.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2013, 04:59:16 pm by Chaoswizkid »
Administrator of the Realms of Kar'Kaish Project.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4165 on: November 01, 2013, 04:59:38 pm »

He's likely to be an idiot because he's saying the shooter had an assault rifle when it looks an awful lot like a legally owned AR-15 to me based on the photographs. Of all the people that should know that, it would be the Chief of Police. If it is a legally owned fully automatic rifle, or something they've fiddled with, then I will eat my words.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #4166 on: November 01, 2013, 05:03:56 pm »

I think you need to mention that guns have anti-badness emitters in them.

Remember, he only attacked the airport because he knew it didn't have guns.

Heavy presence of gun-toting security everywhere prevents people just from wanting to attack places like that. Because those types of people are rational and have coherent thoughts.

Oh wait.

I'll bet he was suicidal and had many warning flags over the years, and still bought that gun legally.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2013, 05:05:55 pm by Mictlantecuhtli »

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #4167 on: November 01, 2013, 05:05:35 pm »

Hmm, now they're saying he wasn't a TSA agent at all and that people were confused. A bit like with Aaron Alexis (we were told there were 3 shooters with handguns, "assault weapons" and other such bullshit) we should probably wait until tomorrow before we get the full picture and cut through media hype.
No, Aaron Alexis just had a shotgun. Not enough firepower for you? It has to be a assault rifle to for you to be satisfied or something?

It has begun to disturb me that shootings have achieved only blip status unless it has a particularly large death count. More terrifying, I read here that a shooting occurred, and I actually treated it the same way I would a regular event, like a court ruling or something. No worrying, no obsessive news-checking, none of the stuff I do when an "emergency" occurs.

Whereas the NYPD are known for their Omnipresence.

On that note, I bear tiding of 2 appeals courts striking down the lower courts rulings striking down laws, and they are a doozy.
Both only reinstate the laws for use pending appeal. This will be much more important in Texas, where approximately a third a abortion clinics are in violation of the new rules and will be shut down.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Chaoswizkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Bring on the Chaos
    • View Profile
    • Realms of Kar'Kaish New Site
« Reply #4168 on: November 01, 2013, 05:07:30 pm »

Well, if I understand correctly, the AR15 can be illegally modified to be fully automatic considering its roots to actual military assault rifles.
Anyway, remember, the government went through this whole ordeal changing the definition of "assault" to be applicable in almost every situation concerning firearms so they can use it as a hotword. I'm fairly certain "assault pistols" are possible.

I think you need to mention that guns have anti-badness emitters in them.

Remember, he only attacked the airport because he knew it didn't have guns.

Heavy security and gun-toting security everywhere prevents people just from wanting to attack places like that.

Oh wait.

Oh wait, he's not a more rational person who only uses guns as an accessory of empowerment, he's a person that was contemplating suicide and, given that he shot a bunch of people, is also otherwise psychologically disturbed. That actually makes a place full of people with guns more attractive. But please, let us give free reign to all of the other criminals to have illegal guns but no one else to have legal guns because someone somewhere might kill a bunch of people if they are crazy enough. That is the optimal solution to this predicament.
Administrator of the Realms of Kar'Kaish Project.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4169 on: November 01, 2013, 05:07:53 pm »

No, Aaron Alexis just had a shotgun. Not enough firepower for you? It has to be a assault rifle to for you to be satisfied or something?

I think you have completely misunderstood me sir, I don't know what you're trying to say there.

It has begun to disturb me that shootings have achieved only blip status unless it has a particularly large death count. More terrifying, I read here that a shooting occurred, and I actually treated it the same way I would a regular event, like a court ruling or something. No worrying, no obsessive news-checking, none of the stuff I do when an "emergency" occurs.[quote

Welcome to forever. It's only in recent years, months even, that shootings have become more newsworthy because they are politically charged.
Pages: 1 ... 276 277 [278] 279 280 ... 667