Michelle Bachmann
- 13 (12%)
Chris Christie
- 23 (21.3%)
Rand Paul
- 49 (45.4%)

Total Members Voted: 107

Pages: 1 ... 257 258 [259] 260 261 ... 667

Author Topic: Bay12 Election Night Watch Party  (Read 819500 times)

lue

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:missing right bracket
    • View Profile
Re: FearfulJesuit's American Politics Megathread Two: Vote Kony 2016
« Reply #3870 on: October 22, 2013, 11:35:13 pm »

Thinking about the leaning-liberal nature of this board, I'm reminded of politicalcompass.org, which both provides a "what's your political persuasion" test (separating economic and social issues for a nifty 2D graph) and some information on various regions.

For our International Audiences
Here's what the American definition of "liberal" means to you!

Germany's Latest Elections CDU/CSU won (they act as one party, CSU is the CDU of Bavaria), it's the major "Republican"-ish party. SPD is the major "Democrat"-ish party.
Australia's Latest Elections Liberal/National coalition won (note that this is a center-right coalition, one of the places where Liberal means right, apparently. (Like it also does in France.)) Labour is the center-left party.
Canada's 2011 Elections Conservative party (right, clearly) won. New Dem. Party was 2nd place.

America 2012 You are reading that right, our "liberal" candidate is essentially conservative by global definitions. (Interestingly Obama was more left in '08.) The point I'm trying to make here is that our left-wing guys are usually still very conservative in relation to some other liberal parties worldwide.

Post not guaranteed accurate or pristine for all of time.
Sigtext. Enticing, yes? If you do not know where things I have "sigged" go, this page will explain.

fivex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3871 on: October 22, 2013, 11:46:34 pm »

Germany's Latest Elections CDU/CSU won (they act as one party, CSU is the CDU of Bavaria), it's the major "Republican"-ish party. SPD is the major "Democrat"-ish party.
America 2012 You are reading that right, our "liberal" candidate is essentially conservative by global definitions.
Romney and the CDU have the exact same position?

lue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3872 on: October 22, 2013, 11:52:50 pm »

America 2012 You are reading that right, our "liberal" candidate is essentially conservative by global definitions.
With varying degrees of success in promoting it though. ;)
Sigtext. Enticing, yes? If you do not know where things I have "sigged" go, this page will explain.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3873 on: October 22, 2013, 11:59:56 pm »

are we making this a thing?

Evil Knievel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3874 on: October 23, 2013, 12:01:19 am »

Seems more like Obama and the CDU have the almost same position, or more accurate: Democrats are probably still further to the right.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3875 on: October 23, 2013, 12:05:06 am »

Australia's Latest Elections Liberal/National coalition won (note that this is a center-right coalition, one of the places where Liberal means right, apparently. (Like it also does in France.)) Labour is the center-left party.
Labor... Center left? Huehuehuehue. I don't think even they call themselves that anymore.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3876 on: October 23, 2013, 12:05:54 am »

I'm about -7 on both axis. About what I expected, really. :P
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

lue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3877 on: October 23, 2013, 12:14:20 am »

Sure, as long as we don't hold the results against each other in our more spirited discussions :) . Although, it feels just as appropriate in the Shit, let's be ... thread. Maybe we could post it over there too? Obviously, since this would be considered a crossover, The Crossover Thread would then also be involved. Are there any more threads this falls under?...

Labor... Center left? Huehuehuehue. I don't think even they call themselves that anymore.
Eh, I just did a quick check on Wikipedia :P . Germany's the only foreign country I have any appreciable knowledge of, concerning its bundestagwahlen and politics in general. Notably when we had some of the German election debates on TV, my dad commented on how similar the positions of the SPD and the CDU/CSU are to the US Dems and GOP, respectively, at least upon explaining them in a debate format.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #3878 on: October 23, 2013, 12:24:37 am »

Thinking about the leaning-liberal nature of this board, I'm reminded of politicalcompass.org, which both provides a "what's your political persuasion" test (separating economic and social issues for a nifty 2D graph) and some information on various regions.

For our International Audiences
Here's what the American definition of "liberal" means to you!

Canada's 2011 Elections Conservative party (right, clearly) won. New Dem. Party was 2nd place.

America 2012 You are reading that right, our "liberal" candidate is essentially conservative by global definitions. (Interestingly Obama was more left in '08.) The point I'm trying to make here is that our left-wing guys are usually still very conservative in relation to some other liberal parties worldwide.

I would like to put a pair of quotation marks on that "world standards" you mention. A internet poll does not a world standard make. Personally, I prefer that one poll that was like this in graph, but separated certain things into their own 1D graph, with a scale of where you were on the US culture war, and where you stand on military intervention. Frankly, the fact that the thing put me on the Libertarian half should be proof enough of it's inconsistencies. I think it might be my stance on children, where I don't believe Strict Discipline is wise (largely due to a belief that there are certain personalities that can't be disciplined effectively, which leads to problems). I would expect around 1-2 leaning Authoritarian, frankly. But I don't hold others to my more authoritarian beliefs in many respects, so. A lot of questions where Liberal-Libertarian vs Authoritarian-Conservative. And that made my answers harder.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3879 on: October 23, 2013, 12:44:45 am »

Spoiler: YOUR ALL TYRANTS! (click to show/hide)

I think it was my strong answers on the religion and sex pages that did it.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3880 on: October 23, 2013, 12:51:47 am »

Oh hey, I took that test quite a while ago and forgot about it.

I was around where everyone else is showing up as here, I think the reference said that I'm fairly close to where Gandhi scored.

Also, has anyone ended up in the Libertarian Right quadrant? I'm trying to think about how that would work, but I'm having trouble with it.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #3881 on: October 23, 2013, 12:52:14 am »

The biggest problem with the political compass is that, although it's certainly far more realistic than a boolian value (Republican or Democrat?), it's still representing the whole living n-dimensional political cosmos as two floating points between 1 and -1.

Nonetheless, it's nice to see clearly how similar Mitt and Barry are after all.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3882 on: October 23, 2013, 12:58:44 am »

I think that that test tends to pop up once every few months here. I still feel like I'm too hooked on wording and specific for it to give me a good result, but today's answer popped up as

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Sometime I'm going to have to look at how my spot on the graph has changed over time.

Even the avatars expire eventually.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3883 on: October 23, 2013, 01:03:55 am »

Aren't you/didn't you used to be/am I confused again/ohdearI'vegonecrosseyed a hardcore Republican?
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #3884 on: October 23, 2013, 02:32:09 am »

That test is such crap.  It's entirely based around the very subjective opinions of it's writers and they have a pretty damn obvious agenda.  I remember one particularly cringe worthy question about "each from his abilities to each according to his means".  Apparently not agreeing with that is the libertarian answer.  Know how famously disagreed with that?  Karl Marx.  The only reason that statement is famous because Marx talked about it being a stupid world view.  But that's the sort of question that is supposed to separate the wheat from the chaff along with questions about your opinions on abstract art or propositions about the theory of justice that everyone, communist to libertarian agrees are within the government purview.  It's just really, really, really bad work.

Ideology is always a bit of a slippery subject but some people have done good work on pinning down how much we know.  Don't spread ignorance by promoting the propaganda of a bunch of hacks with an agenda as science.  And if you think the test told you something about yourself then do anything you can to dislodge the test's stupidity from your memory.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.
Pages: 1 ... 257 258 [259] 260 261 ... 667