Michelle Bachmann
- 13 (12%)
Chris Christie
- 23 (21.3%)
Rand Paul
- 49 (45.4%)

Total Members Voted: 107

Pages: 1 ... 204 205 [206] 207 208 ... 667

Author Topic: Bay12 Election Night Watch Party  (Read 819744 times)

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
  • Death. To all. Except my dwarves.
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
Re: FJ's American Politics Megathread Two: SEPTEM Dies Donec Finis Venerit
« Reply #3075 on: October 11, 2013, 01:23:51 pm »

Garibaldi would be hailed by the Italian state, if he rose now, as an 'Anarcho-terrorist with a private military force and an extremist belief against the sanctity of the Holy Catholic Religion'.
So be careful, because your American Terrorists of today might actually be the 'Freedom Fighters and liberators from the corrupt masses' of tomorrow.
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
“Do something!” she whispered, trying to keep her sight on all of them at once.
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

Alastar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3076 on: October 11, 2013, 01:35:15 pm »

The terms are somewhat flexible... but a tyrant is generally understood to be a sovereign ruler who came to power something other than monarchical succession (could be elected, could be a military coup, could be through informal popular support). Usually an office for life.

Dictator was originally an office in the Roman republic - a single ruler during a time of emergency with less accountability than other high officials - when speedy, uncompromising action was deemed more important than the usual division of power.
Dictators were expected to resign as soon as they weren't needed any more, usually within half a year. This worked quite well for centuries, until two jackasses had themselves declared dictator for life in the first century BC (first one resigned soon anyway, due to failing health. The other was Julius Caesar).

Originally, neither term had negative connotations.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #3077 on: October 11, 2013, 01:36:14 pm »

Who also suffered from failing health shortly after his promotion.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3078 on: October 11, 2013, 01:59:58 pm »

I think it's rather fascinating that approval for the ACA has gone up since this whole thing started, despite having a launch that made Anarchy Online's look as smooth as a baby's bottom.

I figure it's one of three things:

1. People assume the shutdown is to blame for the technical glitches.
2. People assume (mostly correct) that the glitches are because it's so popular and thus overloaded.
3. People don't even know there's been a problem because the shutdown is pushing it to page 2 in the news.

Good job not breaking it, Republicans!

EDIT: Oh, and while we're on political Onion articles: Psychiatrists Deeply Concerned For 5% Of Americans Who Approve Of Congress
« Last Edit: October 11, 2013, 02:07:27 pm by RedKing »

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #3079 on: October 11, 2013, 02:10:05 pm »

Quote from: FearfulJesuit link=2640.msg4677543#msg4677543 date=1381511916
I'm a political minority, and I have no illusions. But, frankly, I don't need validation from America's silent masses. If I take power, I will force the country to become what it needs to, whether they want it or not.
I would do this.

I think it's rather fascinating that approval for the ACA has gone up since this whole thing started, despite having a launch that made Anarchy Online's look as smooth as a baby's bottom.

2. People assume (mostly correct) that the glitches are because it's so popular and thus overloaded.
3. People don't even know there's been a problem because the shutdown is pushing it to page 2 in the news.

Oh yes, there was a article in Politico About how badly they dropped the ball there. Hell, they would be doing better if they hadn't brought this up at all. Just goes to show how the Tea-Party thinks.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

lue

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:missing right bracket
    • View Profile
« Reply #3080 on: October 11, 2013, 02:20:49 pm »

All of these. After all, how could they possibly do anything completely correctly when the organization in charge is partially shutdown? Ever heard of the slashdot/xkcd/reddit/[popular website] effect? And is a government shutdown not more critical than a stupid server error or two?

That Onion article is hilarious. I suspect those who think the Congress is doing well are either not paying any attention, or think the shutdown is awesome (hint: the second option is where Tea Partiers are most likely found.)
Post not guaranteed accurate or pristine for all of time.
Sigtext. Enticing, yes? If you do not know where things I have "sigged" go, this page will explain.

Chaoswizkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Bring on the Chaos
    • View Profile
    • Realms of Kar'Kaish New Site
« Reply #3081 on: October 11, 2013, 03:45:41 pm »

It might also be that people are actually looking up details on the ACA. Before, I just noticed people either liking or disliking the ACA based on their political affiliation. Are you a Democrat? The ACA is good, people who say its bad are wrong. Are you a Republican? The ACA is bad, people who say its good are wrong.
Now that its the center of a gigantic shitstorm rather than this nebulous object of political affiliation, I'm seeing more and more people actually try to look more deeply into the subject.
Administrator of the Realms of Kar'Kaish Project.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #3082 on: October 11, 2013, 03:49:24 pm »

There's also the fact that there's currently no political machine spewing out outright lies (You WILL have to take the doctor the GOVERNMENT will assign you! Your older relatives WILL be encouraged to kill themselves!) about the subject the way they've been doing since the law was first proposed.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #3083 on: October 11, 2013, 03:53:33 pm »

EDIT: Oh, and while we're on political Onion articles: Psychiatrists Deeply Concerned For 5% Of Americans Who Approve Of Congress

Holy crap, it's been implemented?
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3084 on: October 11, 2013, 03:58:12 pm »

... Yeah? That's what this whole shitstorm was about. The Pub-crawlers wanted to shove a "de-fund the ACA" into the "yeah we're just reiterating the budget" bill, the Craters said "lolno", all discretionary funding stopped, ACA is mandatory so it's still funded, and now everythings in a fucker blender.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #3085 on: October 11, 2013, 05:00:30 pm »

ACA is mandatory
Naah. It's simply a different type of funding, like Social Security benefits, or the Postal Service. It's hilariously ironic though, all of it. Shutting the government, which doesn't accomplish actually delaying the bill at all. And then, because they were broiled in the shutdown shitstorm, they didn't get to get the word out about the numerous errors that occurred, and in fact they have overshadowed it.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

lue

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:missing right bracket
    • View Profile
« Reply #3086 on: October 11, 2013, 05:04:48 pm »

ACA is mandatory
Naah. It's simply a different type of funding, like Social Security benefits, or the Postal Service. It's hilariously ironic though, all of it. Shutting the government, which doesn't accomplish actually delaying the bill at all. And then, because they were broiled in the shutdown shitstorm, they didn't get to get the word out about the numerous errors that occurred, and in fact they have overshadowed it.
What type of spending is it then? I'm pretty sure it's classified as mandatory spending.
Post not guaranteed accurate or pristine for all of time.
Sigtext. Enticing, yes? If you do not know where things I have "sigged" go, this page will explain.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: October 11, 2013, 06:07:13 pm by MetalSlimeHunt »
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3088 on: October 11, 2013, 05:47:49 pm »

How long before they openly begin claiming that Obama is one of the secret lizard people and that he's corrupting our natural bodily essences with his fiendish fluoridation?

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3089 on: October 11, 2013, 05:49:29 pm »

About negative6 years, Redking.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.
Pages: 1 ... 204 205 [206] 207 208 ... 667