Michelle Bachmann
- 13 (12%)
Chris Christie
- 23 (21.3%)
Rand Paul
- 49 (45.4%)

Total Members Voted: 107

Pages: 1 ... 198 199 [200] 201 202 ... 667

Author Topic: Bay12 Election Night Watch Party  (Read 820082 times)

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
Re: FJ's American Politics Megathread Two: OCTO Dies Donec Finis Venerit
« Reply #2985 on: October 09, 2013, 12:59:25 pm »

Only from the first paragraph, there's three things wrong with it: Overly sensationalist, uses slippery slope arguments left and right, and misblames the government shutdown on religious nuts rather than tea part nuts who are the actual cause.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

smirk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2986 on: October 09, 2013, 01:19:23 pm »

Only from the first paragraph, there's three things wrong with it: Overly sensationalist, uses slippery slope arguments left and right, and misblames the government shutdown on religious nuts rather than tea part nuts who are the actual cause.

Agreed. There's probably a few useful thoughts in there, but it's mostly like watching someone bludgeon Karl Marx to death with a copy of "Atlas Shrugged".
When i think of toady i think of a toad hopping arround on a keyboard
also
he should stay out of the light it will dry out his skin
his moist amphibian skin

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2987 on: October 09, 2013, 02:20:17 pm »

Agreed. There's probably a few useful thoughts in there, but it's mostly like watching someone bludgeon Karl Marx to death with a copy of "Atlas Shrugged".
You don't simply bludgeon Karl Marx - do you know how much force you need to get through Das Kapital? And yes, all the volumes. That thing can stop bullets.
I want an animated show about beatdowns between philosophers, and also between philosophers and Ayn Rand. Like the Monty Python football match, but with more blood.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2988 on: October 09, 2013, 02:24:35 pm »

Well, we do see from the analysis of Republican factions that was posted earlier in the thread that the Tea Party-Evangelical alliance is very strong, so they are sort of involved.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
Re: FJ's American Politics Megathread Two: NOVEM Dies Donec Finis Venerit
« Reply #2989 on: October 09, 2013, 03:53:58 pm »

Though I suspect the important bit will be this:
Wall Street could be the biggest indicator of who is right in this fight. Investors nervous over the political impasse in Washington pushed all three major U.S. stock indexes lower on Monday. The Dow Jones Industrial Average alone lost more than 130 points, or nearly 1 percent of its value.
The DOW was down another 1% today, and the NASDAQ down 2%. When it really starts crashing, and it will if no deal appears imminent within the next week, Republicans will have absolutely no choice in the matter. When all their middle-aged and elderly constituents suddenly lose $10k or $20k, $40k or more from their retirement funds, and when their corporate sponsors see their invested wealth and businesses start to tank, there will be hell to pay for these shenanigans.
Ha. I was right. http://nbcpolitics.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/10/09/20886586-kochs-to-congress-focus-on-spending-not-obamacare?lite
And so it begins.
But privately, Koch officials have expressed concern to lawmakers that the prospect of a government default over the Obamacare issue would be a "disaster" for the economy, according to one GOP consultant who recently discussed the matter with Koch officials and asked for anonymity. Koch Industries associates note that the firm is widely diversified, including last month's $7.2 billion purchase of a company that makes connectors for Apple iPhones and other consumer products -- one of many markets that could be effected by spikes in credit resulting from a government default.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #2990 on: October 09, 2013, 04:21:16 pm »

I was expecting this, and it's why I don't think congress will actually default. WAAAAY too many powerful people and companies would be hurt by a default, and they make up most of the funding support for both sides. If push comes to shove, you can be that the dems and most republicans will cave on this issue. The Tea Party might now, but they just don't have the numbers to stop the rest of congress.

Besides, most reps are rich, and they'd all suffer quite a bit in the default as well.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
An Update
« Reply #2991 on: October 09, 2013, 05:21:36 pm »

Problem: There is a not insignificant minority that is actually angry the debate has shifted from Obamacare. If you hear speeches from the people causing this Banana-fest, There is less mention of general budget cuts then of Obamacare. Some are honestly of the Opinion that the default would be worth getting rid of Obamacare. Some state that a Default wouldn't be that bad, and Obamacare would do more damage then a Default. The Problem is people have finally been elected who believe the drivel that has been spit out for so long on the right. Due to gerrymandering, no one can topple them in their own districts, and they simply have 0 reason to ever, ever compromise. Ever. They are at this point debating even the facts of the Default, like it's date, and the actual damage it will do. Some think the Shutdown is helping, this as Stocks tank. This is not your Grandparent's Congress. There are grassroots who will support the Tea-Party forever, maybe they won't have as much to do it with, but more then enough. We have actually achieved the avatars of the problems in the US system, people who are funded from on high, but aren't beholden to them; who have the full support of their small districts and thus are immune; and who will get into a game of Chicken with a speeding train while casting doubt on whether collision will even hurt. Please, don't hope these people will sudennly be struck by a corporate sponser. Even if they wanted to, they can't back down now. Our only hope is that moderates defect.
just do nationwide representation. 45% votes in the whole country = 45% of seats.
Same for the president.

Or, as you're stuck with two parties, invent a new form of government reflecting the 50/50 repartition of your population. But do not stay wth this godawful system.
Personally, I believe the point of the American system is that it is individual-driven, not party driven, and so it would be better to do away with the parties entirely. Voting with parties enforces ideological rigidity. The new system in California shows some promise; totally non-partisan Primaries, that is to say, everyone votes on anyone they want, and the top 2 get a general election. New York has Electoral Fusion laws, which allow support for another party while casting your vote for a specific person, as long as that person has been endorsed by that party.
NEws
Anyway, in Politico is a summation of Boehner and his options. He was barely re-elected to the Speakership, and a failure here would be his end. He has seen more support in recent weeks, but only by going against his instincts and deferring to the Tea Party. His options:
  • The "magic-trick" scenario, a win over the Democrats occurs, his dreamed for grand bargain occurs, and he is re-elected to the Speakership. This hasn't happened in the past, and only a complete break by Democrats because of Economic Pressure would cause this. Highly unlikely.
  • "Blaze of Glory" The Principled scenario, he goes "I ain't taken this shit no more", breaks with his party, supports a end to the Cliff (I feel I'm mixing metaphors here), and maybe resigns from the Speakership to drive home the point. Either way, he wouldn't be in charge, but damn it he saves them. This is also unlikely, as this goes against his personality.
  • "Ash in mouth" that is, failure in one way or another. The Democrats win, or the Republicans lose the House. The end of Boehner, kicking and screaming. This is the most likely scenario.

Obama is currently taking advantage of the best scenario possible for Democrats and his hard-line has lead to a increase in poll numbers, and the full-support of the left. Between Obamacare going live and Republicans going mad, Obama has more unity then he has had for a long time. He is not doing any of the things that attracted rage earlier, mostly unpopular and ultimately useless compromise. Obama has also chosen Yellen to be the next Fed Chief, which helps.

Oh and look a Moderate republican has a plan.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
Re: An Update
« Reply #2992 on: October 10, 2013, 02:51:25 pm »

The Problem is people have finally been elected who believe the drivel that has been spit out for so long on the right.

This is pretty much the problem in a nutshell. You have people who rather than playing political theater, are playing that shit TO THE HILT. When it comes time for them to play the part of Brutus assassinating Caesar, they're not carrying stage daggers.

Or to use another metaphor, when the script calls for them to sneak into the ring with a folding chair to wail on Obama, they're bringing a real chair and they're looking to cripple or kill, not just provide a "heel" for the audience.

The Koch Bros. et al created a monster and it got away from them. And while I don't want to see a default, a certain small part of me would derive great schadenfreude if that monster wound up costing them tens of billions of dollars. (Unfortunately, the uber-rich would still come out far better than the rest of us would.)

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

lue

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:missing right bracket
    • View Profile
Post not guaranteed accurate or pristine for all of time.
Sigtext. Enticing, yes? If you do not know where things I have "sigged" go, this page will explain.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
Re: FJ's American Politics Megathread Two: SEPTEM Dies Donec Finis Venerit
« Reply #2994 on: October 10, 2013, 03:03:03 pm »

Not really. It's an interesting attempt to appear open to negotiation, but in essence it's just doing what they said they wouldn't do, which is link the debt ceiling to the Obamacare debate.

R: Okay, we'll raise the debt ceiling (for six weeks).
D: Okay, let's talk about the shutdown.
R: Okay, our position remains the same.
D: So does ours.
R: Okay then....see you in six weeks to do all this again?

And that's the BEST case scenario, IMHO.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2995 on: October 10, 2013, 03:14:33 pm »

And that will be terrible, just terrible, for the economy.

Meaning that the next six weeks, as the ACA gets it's legs, will be the worst Christmas season the economy has had in a long, long time.

Meaning that the ACA is clearly ruining the economy. Tea Party wins again! Hah!

Morrigi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2996 on: October 10, 2013, 03:18:01 pm »

The Problem is people have finally been elected who believe the drivel that has been spit out for so long on the right.

This is pretty much the problem in a nutshell. You have people who rather than playing political theater, are playing that shit TO THE HILT. When it comes time for them to play the part of Brutus assassinating Caesar, they're not carrying stage daggers.

Or to use another metaphor, when the script calls for them to sneak into the ring with a folding chair to wail on Obama, they're bringing a real chair and they're looking to cripple or kill, not just provide a "heel" for the audience.

The Koch Bros. et al created a monster and it got away from them. And while I don't want to see a default, a certain small part of me would derive great schadenfreude if that monster wound up costing them tens of billions of dollars. (Unfortunately, the uber-rich would still come out far better than the rest of us would.)

And the Obama administration is blameless, right? One of the bills passed through the House did nothing more than extend the exemptions inn Obamacare that will allow hundreds of corporations to opt out, to everyone else for one year.

This was, of course, refused.

But really, what is unreasonable about that? The government gets funded, and corporations don't get special treatment.
Cthulhu 2016! No lives matter! No more years! Awaken that which slumbers in the deep!

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2997 on: October 10, 2013, 03:21:10 pm »

Because you don't get to hold the economy hostage to block legislation you disagree with. This is not the time or place for it. If the Republicans want to repeal or limit the ACA, they can file independent legislation on the topic.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

lue

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:missing right bracket
    • View Profile
« Reply #2998 on: October 10, 2013, 03:21:49 pm »

And the Obama administration is blameless, right? One of the bills passed through the House did nothing more than extend the exemptions inn Obamacare that will allow hundreds of corporations to opt out, to everyone else for one year.

This was, of course, refused.

But really, what is unreasonable about that? The government gets funded, and corporations don't get special treatment.

Although I'm certainly with the Democrats here, I certainly think they could give up the individual mandate for a while. And if that's all the Republicans ask for, I'd say that's a pretty sweet deal. A functioning government and economy for one delayed tax.
Post not guaranteed accurate or pristine for all of time.
Sigtext. Enticing, yes? If you do not know where things I have "sigged" go, this page will explain.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2999 on: October 10, 2013, 03:23:18 pm »

It would be a horrible mistake to allow such a delay: ACA needs to be cemented as status quo so the Republicans can't repeal it when they come to power again - such a cementation needs time, and that one-year delay could have broken ACA's neck, so to speak. A political argument, sure; but why allow opt-outs at all? The original opt-out possibility was just as politically motivated.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.
Pages: 1 ... 198 199 [200] 201 202 ... 667