Michelle Bachmann
- 13 (12%)
Chris Christie
- 23 (21.3%)
Rand Paul
- 49 (45.4%)

Total Members Voted: 107

Pages: 1 ... 108 109 [110] 111 112 ... 667

Author Topic: Bay12 Election Night Watch Party  (Read 819418 times)

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: FearfulJesuit's American Politics Megathread Two: Election Boogaloo
« Reply #1635 on: July 02, 2013, 08:12:39 pm »

I'm inclined to support the idea of journalists being forced to reveal their political views by law. Same with referees revealing what football team they support.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1636 on: July 02, 2013, 08:14:08 pm »

I'm inclined to support the idea of journalists being forced to reveal their political views by law.
Because that could never be abused by the government or any other power structure.

Tell me, if this was law, would you have no fear that the MPs down in London might try to keep Scottish nationalists down?
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1637 on: July 02, 2013, 08:17:55 pm »

Because that could never be abused by the government or any other power structure.

Tell me, if this was law, would you have no fear that the MPs down in London might try to keep Scottish nationalists down?

They already do, every single day. I don't really see how it could be abused by a power structure.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1638 on: July 02, 2013, 08:26:03 pm »

They already do, every single day. I don't really see how it could be abused by a power structure.
Because it gives you a handy list of exactly whom to discredit, or sue for slander, or to pressure/bribe their organization into firing. Who to blacklist, dig up the past of, or frame. Any kind of bad thing, really.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1639 on: July 02, 2013, 08:29:15 pm »

Because it gives you a handy list of exactly whom to discredit, or sue for slander, or to pressure/bribe their organization into firing. Who to blacklist, dig up the past of, or frame. Any kind of bad thing, really.

When you are actually on the receiving end of a horribly biased media, stuff like that doesn't seem like as big an issue.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #1640 on: July 02, 2013, 10:41:32 pm »

This sounds exactly like what I was saying in our debate regarding mass surveillance a while back.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1641 on: July 02, 2013, 10:44:46 pm »

This sounds exactly like what I was saying in our debate regarding mass surveillance a while back.
It's not exactly a dissimilar idea.
No Gods, No Masters.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #1642 on: July 02, 2013, 10:47:22 pm »

It's not exactly a dissimilar idea.

Oh, I know.  I just couldn't help but notice because, IIRC, you took the opposite stance back then :P
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1643 on: July 02, 2013, 10:50:54 pm »

I never argued in favor of mass surveillance, I believe that it is inherently flawed and doomed to be subverted and fail due to changes in social activity.

Mass surveillance is. Forcing it back into the bottle is nigh-impossible. Legislating that you must wear your political ideals on your sleeve is not, though plenty of people do it anyway. I only oppose the expansion of this sort of thing because that is the only realistic goal. The rest will fall in good time.
No Gods, No Masters.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #1644 on: July 02, 2013, 11:28:03 pm »

Alright.  I guess that wasn't very clear before.  It seemed to me like you were saying that mass surveillance wasn't very prone to abuse and didn't matter very much overall.  So it weirded me out to see you saying the opposite here.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1645 on: July 03, 2013, 03:06:54 am »

I never argued in favor of mass surveillance, I believe that it is inherently flawed and doomed to be subverted and fail due to changes in social activity.

Mass surveillance is. Forcing it back into the bottle is nigh-impossible. Legislating that you must wear your political ideals on your sleeve is not, though plenty of people do it anyway. I only oppose the expansion of this sort of thing because that is the only realistic goal. The rest will fall in good time.

It seems only slightly less impossible to me. I also highly doubt it will be in "good time". I think we're stuck with providing counter-measures.
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #1646 on: July 03, 2013, 04:38:43 am »

Here's a good dissection of the logic behind opposing the immigration bill. Basically, passing immigration reform will create 11 million new voters who will just vote for the Democrats anyway, so why support it? Of course, if this passes, no illegal immigrants will be gaining citizenship until the 2028 presidential election; the GOP will have to clean up its act before then if it wants those votes. It's a nice analysis, except, you know, that it's wrong.

If you'd like to disregard the voice of reason altogether, this chap over at FOX News has an interesting theory: by opposing immigration reform, the GOP will increase its popularity with Hispanic voters. I don't even.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2013, 04:42:02 am by FearfulJesuit »

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1647 on: July 03, 2013, 10:23:14 am »

The irony is that the GOP doing this kind of thing is part of what's going to knock them out of power, thereby allowing the Democrats to eventually pass immigration reform completely as they wish it written, thereby allowing them to take all the credit and make the GOP even less powerful.
No Gods, No Masters.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #1648 on: July 03, 2013, 08:56:10 pm »

I'm more and more getting the sense that half the positions pushed by the Republican party for the last ten years have been the work of deep cover liberals.

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

Morrigi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1649 on: July 04, 2013, 03:11:43 am »

This poll.
Okay, it's sponsored by Fox, so divide the number by two.

Doesn't help much, does it?
Cthulhu 2016! No lives matter! No more years! Awaken that which slumbers in the deep!
Pages: 1 ... 108 109 [110] 111 112 ... 667