Michelle Bachmann
- 13 (12%)
Chris Christie
- 23 (21.3%)
Rand Paul
- 49 (45.4%)

Total Members Voted: 107

Pages: 1 ... 69 70 [71] 72 73 ... 667

Author Topic: Bay12 Election Night Watch Party  (Read 820599 times)

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
Re: FearfulJesuit's American Politics Megathread Two: Election Boogaloo
« Reply #1050 on: May 17, 2013, 09:39:28 am »

I think this may fit here, somehow.  Either this or the wtf thread.
Oh man....I heard the radio version of that on BBC World Service last night. They played a couple of clips of that Nancy Campbell lady.....she sounded like a Doctor Who villain. Just the vocal delivery was so chock-full of crazy. Y'all should really check out the podcast of it that they have linked.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1051 on: May 17, 2013, 09:41:54 am »

Nasty side-effect of blind faith really - "I can take this risk because God wouldn't let me do it unless it's safe".  Reminds me of Blair's justification for invading Iraq.

That said, with real incomes so far down I doubt many people can afford to raise a large family of children on a single income anymore.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #1052 on: May 17, 2013, 09:43:52 am »

That said, with real incomes so far down I doubt many people can afford to raise a large family of children on a single income anymore.

Too bad that won't stop them... as usual, I feel for the children.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1053 on: May 17, 2013, 09:45:10 am »

Remember how people say Republicans see women as baby factories? That's hyperbole. But Quiverfull? They honestly do see women in that way.
Quiverfull people tend to be either rich or very, very poor as a result of this. Remember, they'll accept any number of children between marriage and menopause. I think some of them even take the Puritan "you have to have as much sex as possible because that is also God's will" approach. With modern medicine that can easily get you 8-12 children, if not more.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1054 on: May 17, 2013, 09:51:11 am »

Too bad that won't stop them... as usual, I feel for the children.

I feel for their adolescence.
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #1055 on: May 17, 2013, 10:12:55 am »

Y'know.....before the mid-20th century, most peasants/farmers had really big families that they couldn't afford either, and it wasn't all horrible.

Not saying that I support these people at all, but it's not like having a big family is tantamount to child abuse.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1056 on: May 17, 2013, 10:19:01 am »

Before the mid-20th century we didn't have 7 billion people walking the Earth, and farmers are more suited to big families because they can grow food instead of buying it.

Having a big family may not be child abuse in and of itself, but these days that kind of viewpoint is the one where you're encouraged to beat your children senseless if they disobey you, because as Head Of The Family you own them (and your wife) like God owns you.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1057 on: May 17, 2013, 10:25:19 am »

I demand to know where you, personally, found the newest part of your sig MetalSlimeHunt.
Reading a thinner book

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #1058 on: May 17, 2013, 10:32:16 am »

There were good reasons to have a lot of children back then, too.  Much higher child mortality rates, and they were often an economic necessity of agrarian lifestyle.  Now the only reason to have so many is selfishness and/or religious belief.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1059 on: May 17, 2013, 10:36:11 am »

I demand to know where you, personally, found the newest part of your sig MetalSlimeHunt.
It's not really relevant to this thread at all, but No Gods, No Masters is just an old slogan that I considered an appropriate expression of my general worldview. That sort of happens when one is a fiercely anti-authoritarian atheist.

I was going through quotations because I was bored and came across Bioshock's "No Gods or Kings, only Man", which is similar if not directly inspired from No Gods, No Masters (which is also very appropriately the name of the final Wild Card quest in Fallout: New Vegas).
No Gods, No Masters.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1060 on: May 17, 2013, 10:36:26 am »

I discovered the Quiverfull thing myself independantly today reading the news during a break. The bit that scared me the most? The attempted justification of it being a means to prevent nations such as the US being overrun by "other faiths, non christian people", as if the world will drown under the weight of Jewish, Hindu and Islamic children being produced at a rate us less fertile people in the west cant keep up with.
This is a blank sig.

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1061 on: May 17, 2013, 10:42:53 am »

I 'd just like to say i appreciate it, old as the hiills as it is, MetalSlimeHunt.

Ah yes. I was wondering whether to question the justification for Sweden's and others fertility laws, but you've done it for me.
Reading a thinner book

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #1062 on: May 17, 2013, 10:45:32 am »

Its always been about religious preservation and expansion.

Its a lot easier to remotely configure a freshly installed system than it is to try and get up and running on something that already has a host of shady software or worse, a properly configured firewall.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #1063 on: May 17, 2013, 11:18:53 am »

In other words:  They know kids are vulnerable to indoctrination, and that's really the only means they have of keeping things going in the Information Age.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1064 on: May 17, 2013, 11:25:13 am »

TIL sharing your deeply held convictions with your children is genocide.
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /
Pages: 1 ... 69 70 [71] 72 73 ... 667