Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How do aquatic creatures work?  (Read 1272 times)

Absolute Niro

• Bay Watcher
  • I HATE DOGS
    • View Profile
How do aquatic creatures work?
« on: February 06, 2013, 01:41:33 pm »

Even on my coastal fort I have never encountered non-vermin aquatic creatures, like whales and sharks. I modded a custom race that doesn't need to breathe and explored an ocean in Adventure Mode, no aquatic creatures there either. Do they simply have very low spawn rates compared to normal creatures? I want to breed orcas. :(

chaosgear

• Bay Watcher
  • Pants-on-head retarded
    • View Profile
Re: How do aquatic creatures work?
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2013, 02:29:37 pm »

You sure it was an ocean and not a lake?
I always seem to end up with a magnificent burial complex and nowhere near enough bodies to fill it, or far too many bodies and nowhere to put any of them.

Absolute Niro

• Bay Watcher
  • I HATE DOGS
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2013, 02:35:52 pm »

Definitely an ocean. Waves are leaking water down my central staircase.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2013, 03:53:40 pm »

Likely your local biomes are not the preferred settling spots for the animals you seek, and/or have too low populations for any noticeable effect.
In addition, too many wild animals on your map will stop others from arriving. If this is the case, cage lots of them or slaughter them.

Lord_Phoenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2013, 04:18:23 pm »

Also, if you block off the land edges of the map in some way, the only actual creatures that can spawn are aquatic ones.  Maybe fliers too, not sure if they can spawn in the sky or if they spawn on the ground and then fly up.

Urist McDwarfFortress

• Bay Watcher
  • Suspected elephant sympathizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2013, 04:18:15 pm »

Also, if you block off the land edges of the map in some way, the only actual creatures that can spawn are aquatic ones.  Maybe fliers too, not sure if they can spawn in the sky or if they spawn on the ground and then fly up.
Fliers can spawn in the sky. I tested it out once. I built raised bridges along the entire land border of my map and fliers just spawned above them. You could build a wall of bridges all the way up to the ceiling... or just do what I did, and mod out flyers. I got lots of fishes in no time after that!
Sorry, for a moment there I forgot we were all psychopaths.
Someone who has random urges to make mog juice isn't exactly going to care about the cost effectiveness of obtaining it.

Grax

• Bay Watcher
  • The Only.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2013, 02:25:32 pm »

Fliers can spawn in the sky. I tested it out once. I built raised bridges along the entire land border of my map and fliers just spawned above them.
I did so once ago and got an eagle-mounted flying elven archers attack next month. ;-)
Finis sanctificat media.