Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6

Author Topic: Saltbuckle: in search of the Giant Sperm Whale [new succession game]  (Read 8864 times)

joeclark77

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: In search of the giant sperm whale [new succession game]
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2013, 02:40:13 pm »

Sure thing, I updated the dwarfing list accordingly.  For what it's worth, you won't be cooking anything other than biscuits for a long time.  (I'm not sure whether roasts as a trade good will be possible.  I guess you would have to have a sealed-off kitchen and stockpiles to keep the dwarfs from eating the trade goods, and the micromanagement would be a pain in the butt.)

joeclark77

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2013, 06:02:22 pm »

Here's everything you need to know about our site, now called Nabiddrozsed ("Saltbuckle"):

The world is Thur Gomath, "The Universe of Legends", and the year is 550.  We are citizens of one Eshongoden ("The Good Rope"), one of four dwarfen civilizations.
World gen parameters here:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The site I picked out is located here:
It has one temperate shrubland biome (The Dispersed Hill) and two ocean biomes (The Entrancing Waters) with dwarfs, goblins, elfs, and humans as neighbors.  All are untamed wilds if I recall correctly.

Looks like we'll be swimming in gold.  Shame the rules prevent us from trading it.
We've also got coal (lignite) and plenty of nice minerals -- we'll be able to store our biscuits and beer in porcelain pots for darned sure!

Our crew has chosen to call themselves Zirilkib ("The Fiery Net") and we have embarked.  We are:
Ahab Thimshurmuthkat - Captain + Doctor
Morgan Borushoslan - Harpooner (fisher+militia speardwarf)
Santiago Illolok - Harpoonist (fisher+militia speardwarf)
Naryar Oddomonam - Miner
Zoinks Oddomudist - Miner
Inspiredsimji Lisatmistem - Head Chef
UristTheGreay Udistavus - Planter+Miller

We embarked with the following supplies.  As far as I know we only need stone for a quern to get flour for biscuits.  The aquifer is only one level in most places so we should be able to breach it without mechanisms.  I brought extra wood for making the aquifer-sealing walls, though, just in case we need it.

Here's the multi-z level map: http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-11570-saltbuckle
You can see that we've started on the beach.  The land is less than 1/4 of the map, and indeed most of it is beach (and will be inundated by waves once the ocean thaws).  That means we really have only the hilltop to build on at first.  The two ocean biomes are distinguishable -- one has snow on it and will thaw later than the other.  The ocean is rather deep at the east edge of the map.

Eyes peeled for local wildlife, we spotted a single "moon snail man".  Since the ocean is frozen, our fisherdwarfs are going to get suited up and try to harpoon it for practice...

joeclark77

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Saltbuckle: in search of the Giant Sperm Whale [new succession game]
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2013, 06:03:35 pm »

Ahab regaled all the dwarfs of the mountainhome with his vision of dwarves conquering the sea.  Strangely, few were interested.  "Too sandy" said the miners.  "Too salty" said the farmers.  "Biscuits, really?" said the noblemen and their courtiers.  In the end, six dwarfs raised their hands: Naryar and Zoinks, girl miners who were sick of being eclipsed by the legendary miners of the mounain and wanted a chance to become legends of their own.  Morgan, a speardwarf who liked the idea of earning a living with the harpoon.  Santiago, a mysterious stranger who claimed to have experience of the sea from a past he would not divulge.  Inspiredsimji, whose aspiration in life was to make masterwork fish guts biscuits.  And UristTheGrey, a planter who wanted to prove he could grow crops even on the saltiest piece of sand.

Profiles of our starting seven:
Ahab:
Zoinks:
Inspiredsimji:
Morgan:
Naryar:
Santiago:
UristTheGrey:

All seven like working outdoors in inclement weather (I wonder if all dwarfs start like that, or was I just lucky?) and we have at least two cat ladies on the team.

These seven dwarfs loaded a wagon and set out for the sea in the year 551.  They were never seen in the mountain halls again.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2013, 12:09:13 pm by joeclark77 »

fwinddancer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2013, 09:54:16 pm »

Awsome can't wait.
darn i am a miner,i will be driven to find rare underwater rock (and enter a strange mood with my pick hah)

UristTheGrey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2013, 10:38:31 pm »

Milling? Thats one of the most unnecessary jobs a dwarf can have. I like it.

Also may I suggest moving that info to the OP? I think it would be much more effective there

joeclark77

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2013, 11:48:24 pm »

I'll move it to the front later, and do a better job of the back-story while I'm at it.  Tonight, though, I strike the earth!

joeclark77

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2013, 04:28:35 am »

Journal of Ahab thimshurmuthkat, Saltbuckle, year 1:

Granite 1:
Planned entryway, depot, and stairs.  Decided to dig horizontally, easier to design defenses.
Morgan looked salty so I gave him authority to lead our militia.  He recruited Santiago and they are calling their little squad "The Cobalt Dominions".
Something called a moon snail man is wandering across the frozen ocean.  I dare not walk on the ice so we'll wait and see if it comes on shore.  Then kill it.

Granite 5:
The moon snail man wandered on shore.  It didn't last long.  Both of our harpooners seem to enjoy spearing their victim and then twisting the spear in the wound, they did it multiple times. Morgan in particular "took joy in slaughter".

Granite 8:
It's raining.  We're moving the supplies into the newly-dug cave.  I love the color of that red sand, but hope to be mining rock soon.

Granite 15:
Our squad speared a horseshoe crab today.  A humble start, but we're now officially harvesting seafood.
After three dry layers, we found a layer of damp white sand.  Time to get out the handbook on aquifer breaching.  We should have enough wood to do it.

Slate 3:
The ocean thawed.  Well, not all of it.

Felsite 4:
I got sick of eating cave fish, so I asked the harpooners to see what they could catch locally.  Ignoring the vast ocean, they both headed straight for the murky pool.

Hematite 1:
They tell me it's summer, but there's still a giant iceberg offshore.  Work continues apace on the aquifer, we shall soon be through.

Hematite 12:
A pack of ten giant dingos arrive.  I see a challenge we're going to face: since the usable land area is so small, almost any land animal is going to press on to our territory immediately.  We will need walls and cage traps ASAP.

joeclark77

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2013, 04:30:24 am »

Malachite 8:
Seven new migrants show up.  None of them have any great skills but hey, who am I and my misfit crew to call them names?  One called Jacen has dreams of building siege weapons.  Gavakis is a novice trapper and animal trainer.  We don't need those skills right now, so I've assigned them to mechanics and masonry respectively. 
Jacen:
Gavakis:

They each bring a wife and a kid.  One wife is an armorer, the other is a furnace operator. 
They've brought a friend, a jeweler.  All three  ladies will be useful soon but are going to be fisherdwarfs for the immediate future.
The iceberg appears to have melted.  I've been supervising the aquifer work underground, so I didn't mark the exact date.

Galena 5:
We have breached the aquifer, finally.  Did the iceberg just reappear, or was it there all along and I misplaced it?  Our harpooners are chasing a grasshopper man all over the peninsula.

Galena 14:
Naryar and Zoinks dug a 10-z shaft down into the bedrock and almost immediately struck lignite, then tetrahedrite!  Time to get the smelter working and dig out some workspaces.

Limestone 20:
Things are humming now.  Now that we have stone for making a roof, I've channeled out space for "surface" farms.  Naryar and Zoinks are doing a great job, must have been itching to dig rocks all that time we were working on the aquifer.  While they work, I'm churning out rock pots so that we can finally start brewing some booze.  The kitchen has been making some fantastic fish biscuits lately.  If I've done my research right, biscuits and room-temperature beer are absolutely the essential diet for a whale-catching crew.

Sandstone 12:
Congrats to Morgan and Santiago on spearing a giant hamster!  This will flavor many biscuits.
Two migrants just arrived.  One is a novice brewer -- we need him!  Inspiredsimji was so busy making biscuits that he didn't get to brew any booze, and we ran completely out for a few days.  A dedicated brewmeister is a welcome arrival.  The other migrant has been made a craftsdwarf and will take over for me on the stone pot front.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2013, 11:57:53 am by joeclark77 »

joeclark77

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2013, 04:32:08 am »

Sandstone 28:
The ocean has frozen entirely.  I am planing a whale trap.  Zoinks is becoming a cat lady -- three pet cats now join her in the mines.

Timber 23:
A caravan from the mountainhomes arrived.  Curiously, they came across the frozen ocean instead of by land. 
I have requested leather and cloth from next year's caravan, as well as beer and rum.  Our first crop of longland grass has been planted, but it'll take a while before we're producing enough beer for our needs.  I wasn't able to buy anything this year, as my bargaining irritated them.

Granite 1:
My first idea for a whale-trap was to dig a channel one tile in from the shore, set up some cage traps, build a drain, and then open it to the sea with floodgates.  Unfortunately, I dug an opening to the ocean and a drain without realizing you can't put a floodgate that close to the map edge!  I managed to floor over the drain and have dug a new drain, however, my successor will need to install a floodgate as shown in this diagram or the whole ocean will come flooding in.  You will also need to connect the floodgates to a lever, and install a floor hatch over the drain, so that we can allow the sea creatures to swim in, become caged, and then seal and drain the trench. 
I really wanted to get this done before spring, but couldn't.  (I believe this will be a recurring challenge for the Saltbuckle expedition: many of our megaprojects will be started when the ocean freezes, and must be completed by a different overseer.)

joeclark77

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2013, 04:37:21 am »

Fwinddancer, you'll be up next.  I'll do a status report and then upload the save tomorrow.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 07, 2013, 05:18:54 am »

Please dorf me as a harpooner, when you have a guy whom you can afford to train from scratch, please name him Nix. 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

inspiredsimji

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 07, 2013, 08:32:03 am »

Wow, good year and update!

joeclark77

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 07, 2013, 10:06:28 am »

Review of year 1:  Mostly I did the basic dwarf fortress stuff: breach aquifer, dig out workshops, storage, etc, and didn't get into the maritime theme of this succession game much (except that I had a lot of people actively fishing throughout the year).  Started a little fish trap project which may or may not lead to disaster for the next player.  Now that the groundwork is laid, you guys can really get into the imaginative stuff.

Status:  We're not doing great on food and drinks.  I planted whip vines (for flour for cooking) and longland grass (for beer) but I haven't set up a quern/millstone or specialized stockpiles, so I'm breaking my own rule -- the whip vines are getting distilled into wine.  If my successors want to stick to the rule, they'll have to remedy this situation (a quern stone is commissioned but not yet built).  I've noticed that our fish-cleaning room has a backlog of lots of raw fish.  We may need to dedicate someone to the fish-cleaning labor instead of expecting the Head Chef to do it.  The two harpooners are chasing some crab men and grasshopper men around the frozen ocean -- pull them back before it thaws.  All workshops are indoors except the carpenter.  I designated a new wood shop and stockpile on level 90, but I leave it to my successors to deconstruct the old ones.  The smelter is still working on refining lignite into coke.  You could build a new one and start smeltering bronze (we found a bit of casserite somewhere).  And build the floodgate at the edge of that fish trap or you're going to have FPS death when the ocean starts pouring through the drain into the aquifer!

[Edit]The reason for the dedicated furniture stockpile is that I figured we'd be producing a LOT of floodgates for some megaprojects in the future (imagine a floodgate wall around the entire ocean!).

[Edit]Please remember to make a spear and armor and dwarf NRDL as Nix the harpooner.

And with that, Ahab hands over the command of the fortress so he can spend more time gazing at the sea...
« Last Edit: February 07, 2013, 01:03:24 pm by joeclark77 »

joeclark77

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 07, 2013, 12:08:39 pm »

The current fortress can be viewed at this URL:  http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-11571-saltbuckle

Fwinddancer, the savefile should be accessible from here (let me know if not): http://sdrv.ms/V1u1hi

I didn't realize what an impact the world size would have on the savefile.  This is 50 MB! Sorry I didn't do a pocket world instead!
« Last Edit: February 07, 2013, 01:04:44 pm by joeclark77 »

fwinddancer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 07, 2013, 08:22:46 pm »

Okay.i hope its alright but im using iron-hand.(can you change it from that?)
« Last Edit: February 07, 2013, 08:33:25 pm by fwinddancer »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6