Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: Saltbuckle: in search of the Giant Sperm Whale [new succession game]  (Read 8856 times)

joeclark77

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

(art by Blue Viking Hog)

Ahab Thimshurmuthkat was tired of the same old dwarfen engineering projects.  How many double-slit aquifer breachings?  How many pump stacks?  How many drowning-chamber entryways must he construct?  When your whole life is spent in a hole in the ground, your only escape is books.  After reading every book in the mountainhome's library (e.g., "101 Uses for Microcline", "I Dream of Magma", "Render Your Fat in 7 Minutes a Day", etc.) he started picking up books from elvish and human caravans.  Most of the elfish stuff was pretentious poetry or left-wing trash, but the humans had some interesting stories.  In particular, one book described a life of industry on the ocean (imagine that!) and the hunt for a giant sperm whale (who knew they came in giant size???).  Ahab had two burning questions:
"Are there more of those out there?"
and
"Why go into the ocean when you can bring the ocean to  you?"

Here was a project he could get excited about.  Here was a challenge that a million dwarfs hadn't already met.  The giant sperm whale was the rarest and largest creature in the world... how could he capture it?  What could he do with the sheer hydraulic power potential in the vast and wild ocean?

Saltbuckle
Saltbuckle is a succession fortress based on the idea of a dwarven whaling station. Instead of building ships, we will use all manner of dwarf ingenuity to find better ways to capture mighty sea creatures and turn them into exportable products.  (Partly inspired by this thread.)  The goal is ultimately to capture (and eat) the mightiest creature in the game: the giant sperm whale.  I describe the emark location in this comment.  The challenge will be to use our imaginations to find as many ways as possible to capture and harvest the bounty of the sea.

Some rules:
1. Vanilla DF 0.34.11
2. Dwarfs must live on biscuits (preferably made of flour and fish) and beer or rum.  Other foods may be gathered from the land or bought by traders (i.e. you can pick berries to ward off scurvy) but may not be produced (you can eat the animals migrants bring, of course).  No plump helmets!  Make up happiness in other ways.
3. For trade, we may only export the products of the land and sea: crab meat roasts (if you can prevent the dwarfs from eating them), whale bone weapons and crafts, baby seal leather, orca tallow soap, etc. etc.  All the standard dwarf arts may be used for internal enjoyment but not trade.
4. Turns last a week, and frequent updates would be nice.
5. It is against the rules to destroy the ocean.
6. The prize is a solid gold bedroom for whichever dwarf slays the giant sperm whale.

Comment if you'd like to be dwarfed or take a turn at the helm.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2013, 10:09:15 am by joeclark77 »

joeclark77

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: In search of the giant sperm whale [new succession game]
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2013, 10:29:10 am »

Overseer List:
1. joeclark77: 1, 2, 3, 4, save
2. fwinddancer (deferred)
3. Naryar (1, save)
4. UristTheGrey (deferred)
5. Gavakis (deferred)
6. inspiredsimji (1, save)
7. BronzeAge (1, 2, save)
8. thegoatgod_pan (current)
9. fwinddancer (?)
10. UristTheGrey (?)
11. Gavakis (?)
12. Naryar
13. inspiredsimji

Dwarfing List (green=dwarfed; yellow= to be dwarfed; red=dead/missing):
1. joeclark77 as Ahab
2. fwinddancer as zoinks
3. Naryar
4. UristTheGrey
5. Gavakis (died in lemur form)
6. inspiredsimji as "Head Chef"
7. BronzeAge as Santiago (give him a knife)
8. JacenHanLovesLegos as Jacen the siege engineer "Guild Leader of Exceedingly Large Weaponry"
9. thegoatgod_pan as Morgan the Harpooner
10. NRDL as Nix, a harpooner to train from scratch
« Last Edit: March 04, 2013, 02:35:56 pm by joeclark77 »

fwinddancer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2013, 04:42:43 pm »

Hey i would like to join and be dwarfed
name me zoinks

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2013, 05:44:47 pm »

I suggest building a wooden fort on the ocean as well.

also name your dwarves like Moby Dick characters. Ahab, Stubb, Starbucks, Ishmael, Queequeg, Tashtego, Pip, Fedallah, etc...

I'm on for this, considering I love the book.

fwinddancer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2013, 05:59:31 pm »

I sorta wanna be Ahab but i don't have the dwarf moxy to be a crazed leader. hey Naryar,this is my first game like this can you help me out? like enplane or give me a link?

UristTheGrey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2013, 06:02:48 pm »

I wanna take a turn in this and a dwarf, it sounds like fun. I was actually recently thinking about building a fort along these lines

Gavakis

• Bay Watcher
  • some loser meme
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2013, 07:47:30 pm »

Turn and dorf.

inspiredsimji

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2013, 09:33:18 pm »

I'd love to take a turn and a dorf.

BronzeAge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2013, 10:01:28 pm »

Name my dwarf something  sailor-y like Santiago, give him a knife(if not possible just make him a marksdwarf), and sign me up for a turn.

JacenHanLovesLegos

• Bay Watcher
  • A medium-sized creature prone to great ambition.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2013, 12:34:36 am »

I'd like to be dwarfed as Jacen, the Guild Leader of Exceedingly Large Weaponry (also known as the Siege Weapons Guild). No turn though.
As it turns out, the pen was in fact a poor choice for melee combat in comparison to the sword.
So I just started playing this game and I accidentally nuked the moon.

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2013, 02:54:03 am »

Sounds fun, I want to join up as both dwarf and overseer. Name me Morgan the Harpooner. Profession: eh...siege operator? Marksdwarf? Doesn't matter.
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

laularukyrumo

• Bay Watcher
  • Needs More Socks
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2013, 04:27:04 am »

I almost want to play this but I'm nowhere experienced enough with oceanic life to pull it off. :(

Still. The best of luck to this endeavor!
Quote from: Dwarfotaur
Everytime one of my militia has given birth in the Danger Room, it's lead to instant baby smoothies for everyone.

Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Dat Sig Thread

joeclark77

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2013, 11:02:47 am »

I suggest building a wooden fort on the ocean as well.

I had this idea of building a kind of "oil platform".  We'd drill a staircase through the ocen when it freezes, build a wall around that, and then on top we could build floors, walls, towers, bridges, etc.  I've located a map and will post details tonight (late).  There won't be much wood until we can farm trees underground, so I'm thinking that a solid copper or bronze platform would be coolest.  We will have plenty of tetrahedrite (I can't remember if there's tin.)  However, this construction would have to wait for some other overseer after my year is up, so these are just suggestsions.  If y'all have different ideas (obsidian?) then that's the spirit of a succession game!

Initial embark will probably have:
1 expedition leader(me)
2 fisherdwarfs/speardwarfs
1 planter + miller
1 brewer + cook
2 miners

My dwarf's name will be some take on Ahab.  Later on when we have a dedicated bookkeeper, we can call him Ishmael.  Our best speardwarf should be named Queequeg.  It's actually been years (decades?) since I read the book, so I don't remember the other characters well enough to place them.

joeclark77

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2013, 11:05:09 am »

I sorta wanna be Ahab but i don't have the dwarf moxy to be a crazed leader. hey Naryar,this is my first game like this can you help me out? like enplane or give me a link?
I'm going to name my character after Ahab, as I will be taking the first turn myself.  However, you're all free to role-play madness and obsession!

inspiredsimji

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2013, 12:19:59 pm »

Oh, could my dwarf be a cook and have profession name "Head Chef"?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6