Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Author Topic: Saltbuckle: in search of the Giant Sperm Whale [new succession game]  (Read 8853 times)

JacenHanLovesLegos

• Bay Watcher
  • A medium-sized creature prone to great ambition.
    • View Profile
Re: Saltbuckle: in search of the Giant Sperm Whale [new succession game]
« Reply #30 on: February 07, 2013, 09:41:26 pm »

The save does not govern graphics, meaning that when you load up the game, it will automatically load your tileset.
As it turns out, the pen was in fact a poor choice for melee combat in comparison to the sword.
So I just started playing this game and I accidentally nuked the moon.

fwinddancer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 07, 2013, 09:46:29 pm »

I cannot take my turn  :'( sry guys..

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 08, 2013, 04:06:29 am »

I'll take my turn this weekend then.

joeclark77

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 08, 2013, 10:19:26 am »

fwinddancer, I put you at the end of the overseer list so you can have a turn later.  I'm looking forward to hearing Naryar's reports this weekend.

I just re-read Sphalerite's OP on catching sea serpents (link here - beware it's almost a spoiler) and I noticed one of the same things he noticed -- the game strongly prefers to spawn land creatures over sea creatures.  We may need to make that impossible somehow, so more sea critters will spawn.

inspiredsimji

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 08, 2013, 12:01:01 pm »

We could do what he did with the wall of bridges, although that would take a while.

joeclark77

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 08, 2013, 01:05:05 pm »

We could do what he did with the wall of bridges, although that would take a while.

My hope is that we can be a little bit original and do something different.  Magma moat, anyone?  Or instead of preventing land animals from appearing, perhaps we can engineer a system of traps to kill them almost immediately once they spawn. I don't know.

inspiredsimji

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 08, 2013, 01:32:13 pm »

We should engineer a system to flood an area around the perimeter with magma at the flick of a lever.

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 08, 2013, 03:52:48 pm »

Morgan:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The moon snail man wandered on shore.  It didn't last long.  Both of our harpooners seem to enjoy spearing their victim and then twisting the spear in the wound, they did it multiple times. Morgan in particular "took joy in slaughter".

My guy hates hamsters and slaughters cute snail men with impunity. I like his style :P
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

joeclark77

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 10, 2013, 12:44:49 pm »

I'll take my turn this weekend then.
Can't wait to hear about it!

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 11, 2013, 08:48:13 am »

Yeah, I couldn't take it this weekend.

I'll take it today however.

joeclark77

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 11, 2013, 12:35:33 pm »

I'm just dying to find out if the way I've been uploading savefiles works.  Let me know if you download it successfully.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 12, 2013, 12:08:43 pm »

Code: [Select]
Yeah, I did.

I'm starting now, by the way.

3rd Granite, 552 : I am now in charge. The ocean is still completely frozen, although this shouldn't be a problem for much longer. The fortress is quite... too elongated for my taste, I must say. We also don't have any defense against goblins, with the exception of a bridge. I'll take this in control.

4rd Granite, 552 : Snow storm. See one of our harpooners hunting a crab woman pointlessly. He's obviously not going to catch her, so I drop the pursuit.

12th Granite : I order channels to be done so I may put up wind-powered millstones. Not a single unit of flour in sight. We need sea biscuits, darn it.

19th Granite : Still waiting for my millstones to be completed. We're only at 16 dwarves and everyone is already spamming mechanisms and floodgates and stuff ? Heh.

25th Granite : Parties ? In my fortress ? KILL IT WITH FIRE.

27th Granite : Nope, I didn't flood the fort with magma. anyways, some dwarf thinks it's smart to build green glass floodgates when we have more than enough rock here. Uh.

5th Slate: Party is finally over. The sea has thawed, and Jacen nearly got swept away trying to drink from it, visibly...

9th Slate : Exploratory mining for iron ore. Is there even iron on this map ? I don't want to fight gobs with copper. Soon two windmills will be done.

14th Slate : 2 births in the fort. Finally installing my millstones. Still no spring migrants ? Hmm.

also, giant thrips congas. The bane of DF2012's savage biomes. How I intensely loathe these stupid, pointless, totally useless and uninteresting insects. We are sorely lacking in dwarfpower, and that is the only reason I don't deploy a few marksdwarves and KILL them all !

20th Slate : Migrant wave, seems like a big nice one... oh wait, we are 42 now ? That was just a bit too big maybe.

18th Felsite : Been a while since I updated. Biscuits are coming well. I am designing a fishing pond inside the fort, with water access. Water's taking a while to move, but it's expected.

21th Felsite : Some pansy elf caravan has arrived. Let's swindle them with impunity!

I start work on some exterior walls to protect us from goblins. We'll gonna need lots of rock blocks.

21th Hematite : The huge boost in dwarfpower helps. I think i'll be completing that wall by the end of summer, next i'll be focusing on the fish catching trap.

-random DF crash due to zooming out -

oh well, that's only 1-2 weeks lost. nothing much.

23rd Hematite : Out of rock for blocks, must dig more. also there seems to be no wild animals at all, yet we are on a savage biome. What the fuck ?

7th Malachite : Wall finished. It's a first defense against ambushes and it should be solid, now I just have to link that bridge to a lever..

12th Malachite : I shall now endeavor to open the caverns, to prompty close it afterwards so we can start an underground tree farm.

18th Malachite : Migrants happen, we are now at 47 dwarves.

19th Malachite : Werelemur attack. I was not expecting that... It's far too close to one of the masons. I send my two harpooners to fight it.
... Wait, it transformed back into a human and mauled Gavakis to near-death. It's inside my walls. I therefore order the bridge to be closed. Kill it !

21st Malachite : The werelemur bypassed my wall, at least it revealed the wall's only weakness. I therefore order it filled.

Then it took a few crossbow bolts by some random hunter, and got finished by the two harpoonists.

I'm stopping here now, I need some sleep. I'll finish the year tomorrow.

6th Galena : Strange mood. Let's see what the guy wants. also, more biscuits.

12th Galena : Inspiredsinji, Head Chef, has now created an alpaca leather chausse and is now a legendary leatherworker Never mind, he's now a legendary tanner. Most useful legendary ever.

16th Galena : While I was away exploratory mining, Gavakis transformed into a werelemur and mauled a cat, a gem setter which is nearly dead, and a siege operator. I am certain both of these are now werelemurs, considered one has been bitten many times and the other twice.

I shall endeavor to lock them somewhere, if someone wants werelemurs to experiment.

26th Galena : Both werelemurs are locked and now harmless.  They are in different rooms though. I shall endeavor to kill one, we don't need two.

6th Limestone : Killed one of them with diorite drops. I now deconstruct his prison. The other will stay in his room.

16th Limestone : There are plenty of rock pots everywhere, why are the stupid brewers spamming me with cancellations about needing food containers ? Goddamn incapables.

18th Limestone : Seems all they needed was a stockpile just next to the stills. Why must I babysit these incompetent fools ?

21th Limestone : The other "werelemur" is starving. It's been more than one month and he hasn't transformed, visibly. I am feeding him in his isolated room, maybe he isn't cursed... i shall endeavor to find more. Meanwhile we have 40 drinks in the fort. Seems this fort can't brew correctly.

6th Sandstone : Still no transformations from my werelemur suspect. It seems the stills were working badly, so I rebuilt them and added more stills. alcohol production seems finally (and FUCKING finally, i spent 1 month on this stupid shit) fixed.

9th Sandstone : No signs of any werelemur transformation at all after 1 month and 2 weeks. Freeing false werelemur.

21th Sandstone : Found caverns. There's nothing in there and a huge pile of Z-levels between that cavern and my fort. It's a long way.down here.

22th Sandstone : Troglodyte. Just one, which is surprising. Some civilian pummeled it into a dead paste. Maybe this one should make a worthy spearman... especially that he won 2 levels of Fighter in the way. Locking the caverns.

I am also preparing a stone construction in the ocean which will help building catching mechanisms.

16th Timber : Been a while since I updated. I'm starting to get more migrants that I need. 65 dwarves is enough, isn't it ?

also, ocean instantly froze. Which was funny because it froze so fast there were still surf and waves over the ice !

Currently building a 1-z deep canal at the surface of the north ocean, where it is only 2 z levels deep.

8th Moonstone : STOP PUTTING YOURSELVES IN THE TILE YOU BUILD. Idiot dwarves.

4th Opal : Fishing infrastructure is going  quite well. I'll have enough time to finish this.

8th Opal: Whip vine seed storage is going dangerously low. No idea why I don't have much left.
edit: nevermind that, it's just dwarves being stupid, i've got plenty of whip wine seeds but plenty of cancelations as well.

26th Opal : Finished the fishing infrastructure ! It's just two giant empty rectangles in the north sea, and it catches nothing for now, but it should help building a giant fish trap.

6th Obsidian : Making an inside burrow. I will also build a safer fishing spot.

16th Obsidian : Safe fishing spot built, no one will disturb these fishermen !
« Last Edit: February 13, 2013, 01:11:46 pm by Naryar »

joeclark77

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 12, 2013, 06:14:12 pm »

27th Granite : Nope, I didn't flood the fort with magma. anyways, some dwarf thinks it's smart to build green glass floodgates when we have more than enough rock here. Uh.

I embarked with like 50 units of sand... for the bags.  You can use it to make green glass whatever you want.  Corkscrews or serrated discs would be good for trade, I guess.

joeclark77

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 12, 2013, 06:16:25 pm »

There's no iron ore on the map... however, we've already struck tetrahedrite and casserite, so you can skip over copper and go right to bronze.

As far as wildlife, you might want to try walling off the land so that more sea beasts will spawn.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 13, 2013, 05:43:11 am »

Restarting now !
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6