Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 12

Author Topic: Witcher III - It's a thing.  (Read 26128 times)

sebcool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Witcher III - It's a thing.
« Reply #75 on: May 24, 2015, 04:30:37 am »

That's. . . Wierd. Dunno what's up with that.
Derailing doesn't exist, derailed is the natural state of every thread.

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 24, 2015, 04:35:54 am »

I really miss the old days where there were no multicore processors.

Back then when a game sait it requires a 900 Mgh processor 524 megs of ram and a graphic card with 128 megs of memory you know exacly what it needed (usually because there was some variation between hardware manufacturers).

Now i can't tell if my AMDfx Six Core 3.50 processor is stil usable or a pile of trash.
Games seem to work well enough but then again i don't play new games all that much and considering i bough my rig almost 3 yars ago i'm assuming its aging by now...

As for GOG. Are you playing it through their galaxy client? Maybe that fudges things up?
« Last Edit: May 24, 2015, 05:58:02 am by Sonlirain »
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 24, 2015, 05:38:30 am »

Particularly with the torrent version being the gog version.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

kcwong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 24, 2015, 10:22:06 am »

I upgraded to Asus GTX980 Gold Version.

A HKD 8000 hole in my wallet, but the game (only tested in the tutorial room) runs smoothly now at all ultra settings except Hairworks, which I heard on High can choke a Titan X to death, so I set it to Gerald only. After a brief test GPU temperature was 53ºC.

If only I didn't forgot to buy a mount... I also bought a 256Gb SSD which I cannot use right now.

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 24, 2015, 12:56:54 pm »

Particularly with the torrent version being the gog version.

For some reason I had to reinstall my legit version. And it was back to normal. No idea, but maybe the install messed up somewhere. I remember windows update popped up during the install (I ignored it) and it froze it for a second...but usually when that happens nothing happens. But maybe it did something weird.

In any case...playing mostly high on 30+ FPS is pretty nice when I thought my PC couldn't run it at all lolon any decent settings
My own website for Skyrim, Fallout 4, and many other games: http://vendayn.wix.com/skyrimvendayn

miljan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: May 24, 2015, 01:00:48 pm »

Apparently the game was really downgraded compared to E3 demo, confirmed by devs, because they could not make it work out, and also because of consoles (in a way).
« Last Edit: May 24, 2015, 01:02:57 pm by miljan »
Make love not war

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: May 24, 2015, 01:02:58 pm »

Apparently the game was really downgraded compared to E3 demo, confirmed by devs, because they could not make it work out, and also because of consoles.

Not like my PC could play the E3 version rofl. But mods will probably fix most of it.
My own website for Skyrim, Fallout 4, and many other games: http://vendayn.wix.com/skyrimvendayn

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: May 24, 2015, 03:19:36 pm »

Witcher 3 looks so much better than Skyrim. Even all my attempts at modding skyrim to look better don't really match and Skyrim got shit FPS ROFL. Literally, my Skyrim looks worse than Witcher 3 and gets 10-20 FPS (but thats because I use an ENB (even with all effects except bloom off), otherwise Skyrim isn't playable for me...vanilla lighting hurts my eyes so bad in Skyrim. And I don't like any of the non-enb lightings at all, they make it look worse than vanilla skyrim). In any case, even with all the ENBs I used...Witcher 3 still looks way better. I get 30+ FPS average in Witcher 3, with SSAO and all kinds of stuff on. I even have hairworks on and still get 30+ FPS...I made a few ini tweaks to hairworks to get very minimal performance loss :D Hairworks looks amazing.

For one, and this is a big thing for me...more than environment or whatever. In 3d games, if characters look bad...I don't bother to play it. Or I mod them like heck (like skyrim). Characters look AMAZING. No modded Skyrim character looks nearly as good as anything in Witcher 3 (witcher 2 had amazing characters too, but game was too linear for me lol). That pretty much nails it for me to be honest.

Outside of that, I pretty much won't barely touch Skyrim again if at all. Witcher 3 is so much more fun and immersive (which is 2nd most important thing to me, is immersion)...way better quests, voice acting and the world is more dark so I like that (but thats more personal). And combat isn't shit lol.

If Witcher 3 does good modding and gets good modding support...I'll have no reason to ever play Skyrim. I'll still play Oblivion (that I liked more than Skyrim compared with vanilla vs vanilla) and Fallout New Vegas (that I like a lot). But after so much time trying to mod Skyrim, even on minimal load orders it isn't playable on my PC lol. Oblivion heavy modded plays way better than Skyrim with minimal mods. Maybe its because its older and so not taxing on the PC, in any case...

Witcher 3 is epic. Best money I spent on a game in a while :D I'll be playing this for a long time lol. Especially if they do good modding support, then I'll play it for a really really long time rofl.

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: May 24, 2015, 08:12:52 pm »

:)

http://imgur.com/a/PetYl

Just three screenshots, still fooling around with things. I got a sweetfx a bit ago, so trying it out.

30+ FPS at all times. On my PC I really thought was going to be unplayable on even low, or low/medium.

Instead, with custom ini settings...I have some low, some medium, some high and a couple ultra settings turned on. hair effects off however, as that ended up lagging too much in populated areas.

guessingo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: May 25, 2015, 01:31:16 am »

Will there be a mod kit for witcher 3. Skyrim ges so many mods due to the modkit.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: May 25, 2015, 01:39:31 am »

I've run into a few bugs here and there but nothing particularly gamebreaking. That's quite nice. Normally with these big open-world-like games you'd expect tonnes of bugs on release but this has been pretty smooth sailing so far.

Been about... 40 hours? Still very engrossed. I think I'm still in the first 30% of the game to considering I'm only level 13. The difficulty of hard mode is probably one reason it's taking me this long.

I also wish there was a multiplayer version of Gwent. I think it would be great, especially if everyone has all cards unlocked. It's actually quite fun. Not the most complicated, but still strategic and fun.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: May 25, 2015, 01:55:55 am »

Well, if I only get 30 FPS average on low/medium...that won't be playable at all. That means FPS would drop below 30 and become laggy or slow depending on what the engine does. I need 40-50 average in games for it to be playable, because it often drops in intensive areas.
This is why FPS is a worthless measure. The number which really matters is "longest frametime" as that's what you actually notice. A 100ms frametime hitch will be noticeably, and annoyingly, choppy. A smooth 33ms is really all you need for a game to run well, and is what a lot of consoles aim for.

Modded Minecraft is a notoriously bad example of this, thanks to being an abomination of a Java program which I've seen allocate in excess of 50MB/s with some of the common modpacks, then toss it to the garbage collector every few seconds, resulting in a massive frametime hitch periodically as it deals with hunting down and tossing out 200MB of data. Hit F3 and you see it rendering at 60FPS, but it's still stuttering too badly to play.

Beggars` Sect

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: May 25, 2015, 09:30:58 am »

but don't go off spouting bullshit without knowing what you're talking about. As someone who does, I can say

As "someone who does" you ain`t really saying much apart from repeating the same tired template drivel that always pops up on such occasions.

In fact it`s  perfectly okay to express opinions about books, games, films what have you that you haven`t actually tried - we all do it all the time, even blinkered folks like you - it`s simple pattern recognition combined with something called "experience". I think after over three decades spent playing cRPGs and reading accompanying reviews I might evaluate a game with quite high degree of accuracy without actually playing it.

If you actually "read" my post instead of just jumping into the righteous rage straight away you could perhaps fathom that. It`s easy to call anything that challenges your comfort zone a "click bait" or "biased" - although it`s a double edged sword you see, because buyer`s/fanboy bias is quite dangerous too. A powerful mechanism that can produce delusional statements similar to your implication that one needs to "learn" Witcher`s combat`s system to truly appreciate & understand it - a truly laughable statement since combat being weak in this series - with the 1st part bordering on ridiculous -  is a well known fact. No mate, this isn`t Quake or Street Fighter, just a game with mediocre combat. If it feels "smooth" to you then that`s great, enjoy, but don`t try and pretend that you "know what you`re talking about" - because you don`t.

About the whole sexizm thing, "discussing" it is a lost cause, something that was proven during the whole GG mess. It`s similar to the "are videogames influencing violent behaviour" (non)debate (only with much much less merit) - "gamers" will simply stick fingers in their ears and go into "na na na naaaa" mode, or launch into some straw-woven arguments like this one dude in the comment section for Raven`s Cry review. Read it, I`m sure you will be nodding furiously in agreement. Long story short, the "medieval Europe" angle is redundant - The Witcher is a work of fantasy not historical novel and its authors have a free rein to do as they please, and if they fancy pleasing nerd boners instead of being really mature - then somebody might call them out on that. And if there really is a sympathetic remark from Geralt to a woman-beater, then it`s clear as a day that dev`s own misogyny seeps through to the medium. Surely nobody will dispute that it does exist in the real world?

I also never mentioned the racist angle myself as I don`t really count it as super significant , but it`s within reviewers right to at least mention it.

Nevermind. I`m sure most of folk here read few paragraphs (lines ? ;) of my post and went into the comfortable "ah, another hater/SJW" mode. Fair enough, but you missed my biggest complaint, about how derivative this game really is and how sad that something hailed as an absolute pinnacle of RPG gaming is just a prettified version of "same old" olden games. But don`t trouble yourself with this folks, after all it`s so much easier to spend another few pages waxing lyrical about frames per second and watercooling.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: May 25, 2015, 10:05:47 am »

I really wish this forum had an ignore or hide post button.

Hawk132

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: May 25, 2015, 10:34:51 am »

I really wish this forum had an ignore or hide post button.
It does. Go to your profile and then Modify Profile>Buddies/Ignore List>Edit Ignore List.
Perplexicon: A New Arena - Abandoned, but feel free to give it a read.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 12