Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12

Author Topic: Witcher III - It's a thing.  (Read 26156 times)

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
Re: Witcher III - It's a thing.
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2015, 05:50:35 pm »

Odds are it looks pretty freakin' sick people. Besides, even if it was "console" quality in the graphics department it would look pretty damn fine. You're all spoiled by new graphics. Let's focus on the gameplay shall we? Howabout someone get a review in here?
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2015, 06:19:33 pm »

Odds are it looks pretty freakin' sick people. Besides, even if it was "console" quality in the graphics department it would look pretty damn fine. You're all spoiled by new graphics. Let's focus on the gameplay shall we? Howabout someone get a review in here?
I'm about to play it and even managed to finish a Witcher 2 run (that imported from 1) to see what is affected by previous decisions. Will return shortly.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

JimboM12

• Bay Watcher
  • Dank.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2015, 06:20:03 pm »

I'm going to get this eventually, kinda broke now. But it's good ol' Geralt sleeping with witches and chopping up monsters, so I already give it 10/10. Add in extra gratuitous nudity, 11/10. Add more open world/immersion events into it, 12/10. Basically I feel I'm going to love it.

*edit: PTW
Pemmican is pretty incredibly durable. Corn and rice also lust forever without refrigeration.
Ah yes, the insatiable lust of corn and rice, clearly two of the most erotic foods.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2015, 06:24:34 pm »

All is not happy in toon town: http://i.imgur.com/b4TnCh2.gif

The game, quite frankly, looks like complete shit. Not to harp on graphics as the most important thing, but the PC visuals have clearly suffered due to having one unified build for both consoles and PCs.

So I guess I'll wait a year or two until the mod community addresses this. S'ok. I barely got anywhere in Witcher 2.

I'm about 90% certain you're drinking some troll's koolaid.

Jesus, this looks just like Spore for some reason.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

etgfrog

• Bay Watcher
  • delete & NULL;
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2015, 07:07:15 pm »

Well...that is what happens when you set everything to the minimum settings, although that screenshot looks more like all textures were modded to use less memory.
"How dare you get angry after being scammed."

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2015, 08:20:39 pm »

Been playing for a bit. I had a crash once. Annoying but no big deal.

Playing on second hardest difficulty because of reasons. It's hard as shit. Literally the first fight outside of the tutorial I got owned. Now I use my Monster Hunter skills to roll everywhere cause I'm scared of getting killed by everything. Even cats scare me.

I don't know anything about whatever graphics complaints or whatever since I don't give a shit about whatever twizzle the internet has its arms about for the week. The game looks great to me but I'm not a discerning artist. I play DF for christ's sakes. I like the animations and the facial quality a lot. There's some strange positioning things that are weird like how people teleport when you talk to them but meh. Standard fare for open world games honestly.

I like it so far, but only about 1/2 hour in.

I'm sure I'll have more to say as I play more, but that's my first impressions.

I have a GTX 970 and an i5-2500k. Playing on mostly high / ultra at mostly 60fps. Framerate goess up and down during cutscenes and the game itself gets choppy but mostly 60fps during gameplay.

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2015, 09:32:34 pm »

I'll get the technical bollocks out of the way first because people seem overly concerned about it for some reason.  I'm using an i7 4770k and a 780ti with a 1440p monitor and have the vast majority of settings maxed (the only exceptions are SSAO instead of HBAO because I can rarely tell the difference in motion, shadows one step below ultra and nVidia Hairworks off because while it's a cool effect it eats up a little too much framerate for my tastes).  Framerate varies between 45 and 55 fps, generally towards the higher end.  Graphically, it isn't the second coming of Christ.  Sorry about that.  It is really fucking pretty in the vast majority of circumstances though.  The screenshots posted earlier in the thread seem to have been taken on extremely low settings and in the (IMO) ugliest lighting.  Lighting varies dramatically depending on the area, weather and time of day.  Nighttime rain is absolutely stunning, noontime far less so.  The sun bleaches things a little too much and flora can cast harsh shadows than it should.  After vaguely noticing that (because I was specifically looking for it) I stopped being so absolutely anal about the graphics, which are better by far than any unmodded RPG I've played and got on with the game.

Combat is a tightened up, more responsive iteration of that in W2.  You can still roll, but with the stamina cost and actual dodging being an option I rarely do.  It's pretty much what I wanted it to be.  First thing I did was head off the beaten track to try and get a feel for the scale of things.  The world's big.  Really really big.  And it's packed with stuff to do, with the majority of it being far more interesting than Skyrim cave #784.  Voice acting is actually good this time, and the audio in general is fantastic (you can even hear trees groaning in particularly heavy wind).  Monsters seem pretty well implemented so far in that they're not crawling all over the place but it's easy enough to find a fight.  In under ten minutes I came across something that I actually had to run away from because I have no idea how to beat it.  In what must be an RPG first, horses are an awful lot faster than walking on foot and feel speedy.  I've played maybe an hour into the actual storyline at this point and had my assumptions turn out to be wrong twice.

I'm not far in enough to make a proper judgement yet, but it's given the best first impression I can remember having in years.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2015, 12:04:01 am »

Holy christ this difficulty setting is crazy. This wyvern is kicking my ass. It kills me in two hits basically and has a gigantic hp pool.

ductape

• Bay Watcher
  • MAD BOMBER
    • View Profile
    • Alchemy WebDev
« Reply #23 on: May 19, 2015, 12:57:17 am »

Holy christ this difficulty setting is crazy. This wyvern is kicking my ass. It kills me in two hits basically and has a gigantic hp pool.

same in witcher 2? set to easy until you get some skills, then hard because Geralt is a badass that somehow forgot how to fight at the start of any new game
I got nothing

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 19, 2015, 04:05:57 am »

Well...that is what happens when you set everything to the minimum settings, although that screenshot looks more like all textures were modded to use less memory.
Funny enough it looks exacly like "Two worlds" set to minimal.
However two worlds is from 2006 but if you ask me 2006 is the cutoff date where 3D graphics started looking universally good and stopped aging so terribly.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 19, 2015, 04:33:35 am »

Overall fun and pretty, release was a bit silly since it showed "released in 1 hour" and then released 3 hours after that, but w/e.

Quest design is great and even while it may fundamentally be the same as skyrims "get here, enter Cave, kill X, leave Cave with mcGuffin" - it is just so much better written and voiced - feels better.

Combat is smooth-ish, certainly profits from users of a gamepad and his auto-sword pull messed with me more then once, since I am used to pulling weapons myself, ending up with fistycuffs vs enemys that kill you very quickly.

Item-system is a good upgrade to witcher 2, but still a bit clunky - i really enjoy that you have the -craft once, refill after - which saves a lot of "busy work" - going around, shoping up resources to craft the one thing you want works and feels rewarding.

Bugged out a little on me during the cut scene after you finish the first big boss, i.e. freezing (but i could still skip and it did continue normally).

Hopefully it'll only get better from here. If they had released on the first release date I could see it going up in flames, but currently it is holding up a little to the hype.

elci

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Elci on youtube
« Reply #26 on: May 19, 2015, 09:52:41 am »

It is finally out! Couldn't wait for it :-) now I need to explore every single bit of TW3 world :-)

By the way to my great suprise it does run on GTX 750 @1080p :) Here is my benchmark vid: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wp4HQZNQ2d0

sebcool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 19, 2015, 10:26:49 am »

Been playing it for a bit. I've been hyped as hell for this game, and so far it hasn't disappointed. The combat seems much harder than 2, though that might just be because I haven't got used to the controls (right-click parry, grrr).

Like the others have said, the voice acting is good, and the characters are great (the NPCs are much more varied, this time around).

Performance-wise, it's a bloody beast. Running an I5-4670K and a GTX 770 (not exactly high-end, but it could play Witcher 2 at a solid 60 FPS), and I can only get this thing to 60 at the lowest settings. I can get a solid 30 at high, getting closer to 60 in some places, if I disable the NVIDIA hair physics, and it looks really good, even at those settings. Ran into a few bugs (my horse's head clipped through the wall) and crashed once, but otherwise it's fine.
Derailing doesn't exist, derailed is the natural state of every thread.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 19, 2015, 10:59:33 am »

Okay, I haven't played the first two games as I mentioned earlier and it's probably still too early to tell, but do any of you who've played it think that the open-worldness has added to the experience, or would you rather have it be like the older games?

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 19, 2015, 11:12:09 am »

I don't think it's an actual open world game though. It seems to be split into zones. Just very huge zones. VERY HUGE.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12