Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12

Author Topic: Witcher III - It's a thing.  (Read 26115 times)

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Witcher III - It's a thing.
« Reply #135 on: June 01, 2015, 11:39:39 am »

If you have 600/700 series Geforce cards. My GTX 660 2gb got a 5-7 FPS increase in Witcher 3, with the latest drivers (353.06 version)

Someone with a 770 on reddit said he got almost a 15 fps increase on his card.

I can confirm I got a big fps boost with this!! I can't say by how much, but I've been able to ratchet a few things up and keep it playable because of it.

Whilst I still stick with my previous statement that it's playable on less than the minimum settings, it is probably the heaviest games out there graphics wise and you do need to do some tweaking. Make sure you've got everything unneeded turned off in the background and mess around with some of the more detailed settings if you need to. I found turning down the foliage/grass options manually in the ini files gave me a good few frames for little graphical impact - the same with shadows.
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: June 01, 2015, 04:53:16 pm »

Here is a guide I made to get a good looking game and 30+ FPS on low/mid-end systems. The game looks amazing, just don't expect 60 fps on these settings (without a whole bunch of downgrading, unless you have a high-end PC). 30 FPS is more than playable for me anyway, as long as it doesn't drop below it

http://www.reddit.com/r/witcher/comments/384nrb/guide_an_amazing_looking_game_that_is_stable_for/
My own website for Skyrim, Fallout 4, and many other games: http://vendayn.wix.com/skyrimvendayn

Lightningfalcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Target locked. Firing main cannon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: June 09, 2015, 03:07:41 am »

So, at what point can I start expecting to see stuff from my save import to appear? My major choices were to-
Would prefer a lack of spoilers, as much as possible. I have just finished the "Return to Crookback Bog" mission and have yet to see anything from those choices, so I'm wondering if I might have messed up the save import. 
« Last Edit: June 09, 2015, 03:15:00 am by Lightningfalcon »
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum circo vincendarum
W-we just... wanted our...
Actually most of the people here explicitly wanted chaos and tragedy. So. Uh.

Wimopy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: June 09, 2015, 03:13:34 am »

I dunno what that mission is, but there's a sidequest involving one of those in the 2nd area, where you are tasked to rid a woman's family residence or whatever from monsters.
it's about
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Now updating the Monster Hunter Universe mod
Current Version: 0.4.95b - Updated June 17, 2015
New Thread
Download
Old Thread

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: June 09, 2015, 03:47:52 am »

I finished it and 2 friends where also playing, we found that many choices all lead to the same end result, the most frustratingly (Spoilers for midpart of game);

So in the end, many of the choices appear vastly different and are so even from a story point of view, but the game mechanics just have one way to walk.

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: June 09, 2015, 04:33:09 pm »

So, at what point can I start expecting to see stuff from my save import to appear? My major choices were to-
Would prefer a lack of spoilers, as much as possible. I have just finished the "Return to Crookback Bog" mission and have yet to see anything from those choices, so I'm wondering if I might have messed up the save import.

Hard to say, because a lot of the game can be played in very different orders.  Some of these factors only come up if you pick up optional subquests or randomly stumble on the right place.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Lightningfalcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Target locked. Firing main cannon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: June 11, 2015, 10:47:16 pm »

Well, confirmed I messed up my save import.  Fuck.
How much impact will that have on the rest of the story?  Will it just be a few changed sidequests and changed dialogue, or will it give me entire different paths? Should I go ahead and start over, or just keep going?
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum circo vincendarum
W-we just... wanted our...
Actually most of the people here explicitly wanted chaos and tragedy. So. Uh.

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: June 12, 2015, 03:46:28 am »

There's really nothing worthwhile imported unfortunately. If I had actually replayed the witcher 2 before this I would have been outraged.

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: June 12, 2015, 05:20:30 am »

I'm quite sure Letho makes an appearence and will even travel to Kaer if you ask him nicely.
The other people... i have no clue but if they don't pop up in the base game i'm sure they will in the DLC.
there is at least one character that might flee to Zerrikania meaning CDPR gets several birds with 1 stone.
1 - Important character returns.
2 - New large zone to play around in.
3 - Non whites running about.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: June 12, 2015, 12:48:48 pm »

It's really hard to read this thread since I'm afraid of spoilers, but I'm playing through The Witcher 2 (on dark difficulty of course) and I'm wondering about 3's combat.  2 has a kind of "airy" combat system where it doesn't feel responsive or heavy, a lot of it feels like you're swinging a piece of aluminum around at balloons, I guess is the best wayt o describe it.  Hits don't register weightily enough, sometimes it feels like you die to hits that didn't happen, etc.  It kind of feels like it's halfway between the extremely RPG-esque Witcher 1 combat which was even lighter and flimsier, and a more action-oriented combat system.

I'm wondering if 3 is similar or if it's got a better combat system, mainly in weight and responsiveness.

I'm liking Dark difficulty a lot, despite the lightness of the combat I feel like it gets it just right.  You feel like a witcher should, especially against humans you feel superior but mainly in speed and preparedness.  You can kill a human in a heartbeat but if somebody gets behind you you go down like anybody else.

The only issue is that now I have the blasphemer's set and it's like, okay.  You're a grim and melancholy warrior from a mystical, dying race, you've got white hair and you're called the white wolf. Add in not one but two cursed swords that eat people's souls and you're actually more Elric than Elric.  You're double Elric.

Oh and you survive off of a cocktail of potions.  And you're albino, obviously.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2015, 02:29:07 pm by Cthulhu »
Shoes...

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: June 12, 2015, 01:42:59 pm »

The combat is mostly the same.

The difficulty on hard and harder is really challenging and highly recommended.

Wimopy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: June 12, 2015, 03:00:53 pm »

The airy feel is partly justified in that your swords are typically made of meteor iron/silver/steel, which is quite light, but very durable. Add to that that you have superhuman speed and reflexes (and maybe strength, but I've heard differing claims of that) and you've got that fast swing, but it's still not that heavy. You win by bleeding your enemy to death, not chopping them up viciously. It's not like giant monsters can just be flung around or decapitated on the spot, or you wouldn't need witchers.
Now updating the Monster Hunter Universe mod
Current Version: 0.4.95b - Updated June 17, 2015
New Thread
Download
Old Thread

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: June 14, 2015, 09:45:50 pm »

How do you use your crossbow? The tutorial screen tells me it is middle mouse button but that doesn't do anything for me.

Reyn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: June 15, 2015, 11:07:15 am »

For some reason, at times it deselects itself.

While keeping the tab button down, move your pointer over the xbow so it's selected, release tab.(this is how you'll change to quest items in the future as well, after first equipping them)

You deal 50/100% of a monster's health while on a boat / underwater with the crossbow. Something that I didn't know for quuuite some time. My first 10 underwater treasures or so sure had me on the edge. They were probably more enjoyable that way, the one shot one kill while underwater feels rather silly and cuts all the tension.

The entire underwater gameplay feels pretty shitty, honestly.

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: June 15, 2015, 04:31:15 pm »

Here is a huge album of Witcher 3 screenshots that I've taken over the past week. Enjoy :)

http://imgur.com/gallery/4ckHA/
My own website for Skyrim, Fallout 4, and many other games: http://vendayn.wix.com/skyrimvendayn
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12