Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 12

Author Topic: Witcher III - It's a thing.  (Read 26118 times)

Stuebi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Witcher III - It's a thing.
« Reply #105 on: May 25, 2015, 09:12:08 pm »

Well, after hitting Level 20, a few pointers about my experience so far (Feel free to pick'n'choose one if you want to know more or comment):

- The game has a nasty habit of showing me places that _look_ accessible, but actually arent. I got irreversibly stuck twice now, and sometimes I waste close to 5 minutes trying to reach a place that's supposed to be blocked off. It doesnt help that the game is picky about where it'll actually let you climb and where it wont. Sometimes Geralt jumps ledges almost his height above him, and sometimes a stone wall that barely reaches his chin becomes an undefeatable obstacle. It's nothing major, but it' gets annoying from time to time.

- The quests are probably the best of any RPG in any years (imho), even fetch- scavengerquests are made interesting by litle lorebits, NPC-Chatter or Geralt's Commentary. The Bloody Baron Quest hit me hard after I was done, especially since the outcome changes depending on what you do along the road:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

- I like how the game let's you choose Geralt's general attitude in a lot of cases. You can be somewhat of a vigilante and try to stand up for the downtrodden, or you can play a completely indeffernt Witcher who's just in it for the coin and his personal goal. Also, no stupid "moraleometer", that tells you that you're an evil git or "Velen-Messiah" after every little decision. It's not compeltely customizeable, of course. Geralt's still Geralt. But the game gives me enough freedom that it really feels like I'm in the story.

- It handles relationsships a lot better than Witcher 1 did. Witcher 2 was allready cool, in that it tried to show that there was some actual chemistry between characters and it didnt feel like some weird sidething shoved in. Geralt's relationsships play a role in the story, and you get a lot of surprisingly deep moments of development for him. I was afraid that the main quest would turn out as a "chase the Mary Sue"-thing, but it's not like that at all.

- Combat is fun, altough the difficulty is all over the place. I can tear apart a lot of big game, even 3 or 4 level above me, due to the fact that dodgeing a lot of the big monsters is really easy. But put me against large groups of Gouls or Wolves, and I get my ass kicked on a  regular basis. There is no real invincibility frame to the dodges (at least it feels that way), so any animal, or animal-like monster that runs around you in circles is a HUGE pain. I stopped counting how many times I died because I was kneedeep in like 7 Ghouls and they would just chainhit me without a chance of retaliation. I eventually started liberally using Quen and getting the explosion upgrade for it. It makes it easier, but it's sort of weird that I laugh at Wyverns, while I run screaming at the sight of like 5 wolves.

- Crafting is nice. Alchemy from W2 was greatly improved, in that you dont have to sit down and find inner peace before brewing and drinking potions. Crafting gear is cool, altough I'm dissapointed in the "Witcher Gear Sets" the game offers. It's supposed to be better than regular gear, which is the reason that getting Diagrams for it can be really hard. But there arent any set bonuses for wearing all of them, and you're pretty likely to find something better within like 30 minutes of playing. I went trough the trouble of collecting the Griffin School gear, and literally the very next questline afterwards gave me equipment that was better than the set I was wearing. What's the point, other than style?
English isnt my mother language, so feel free to correct me if I make a mistake in my post.

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: May 25, 2015, 09:20:23 pm »

Anyone getting less fps in 1.04?

I was playing on mostly high, some low, a couple ultra with SSAO on and always got 30+ fps

Now with same settings as before, I get 20-25 FPS

now I have to turn SSAO off, mostly low, one ultra and a couple high to get same FPS

Huge performance loss. I can't play it as it is. It looks nice yeah, but I was playing it way better before.
My own website for Skyrim, Fallout 4, and many other games: http://vendayn.wix.com/skyrimvendayn

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: May 25, 2015, 09:24:05 pm »

Anyone getting less fps in 1.04?

I was playing on mostly high, some low, a couple ultra with SSAO on and always got 30+ fps

Now with same settings as before, I get 20-25 FPS

now I have to turn SSAO off, mostly low, one ultra and a couple high to get same FPS

Huge performance loss. I can't play it as it is. It looks nice yeah, but I was playing it way better before.

(edit: guess not only one. I looked on GOG forums, and a lot of people have had a lot of issues with 1.04. Including (especially for older cards) huge FPS loss)

(edit: whoops that was supposed to be an edit xD sorry lol)
My own website for Skyrim, Fallout 4, and many other games: http://vendayn.wix.com/skyrimvendayn

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: May 25, 2015, 11:46:00 pm »

So, I got a copy of this from work (Thanks for the free stuff, CD Projekt Red!) and am enjoying it immensely. It's hella difficult, but that's because I have it on Death March, which is my own stupid fault.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: May 25, 2015, 11:48:40 pm »

So, I got a copy of this from work (Thanks for the free stuff, CD Projekt Red!) and am enjoying it immensely. It's hella difficult, but that's because I have it on Death March, which is my own stupid fault.

That is the best difficulty. :D I find the other ones too easy (even the 2nd hardest one wasn't that hard for me). But death march...man I really need to be careful and use a lot of strategy and combat skills xD And I noticed the AI is actually a bit better on death match than even the 2nd hardest. Hard to tell, but it seems to behave a lot better and I read that higher difficulties has better AI.

I'll have to wait for 1.05 to play though as performance is too bad on all the tweaks I'm trying. Setting everything to lowest makes the game perform as good as 1.03...but...I'd rather wait for it to be "fixed".

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: May 26, 2015, 12:26:05 am »

Just reinstall the game and patch up to 1.03 instead of 1.04.

Donuts

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Madman
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: May 26, 2015, 12:27:01 am »

Got the game on release, been playing on Hard (can't remember the name) since. I love this game.
I accidentally ran over to a corner of Velen/Novigrad where the enemies are so strong it can't even show their level. Woopsie.
"Oh shit, they've got a slogan! It means they're serious!"

kcwong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: May 26, 2015, 11:25:20 am »

Tried a controller and it fits me more... reached the first location, enjoying the sights and doing some side quests. First thing I blew my money on is the card game.

Also, must remind myself to select a non-offensive sign in town. Oops.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: May 26, 2015, 11:58:03 am »

Tried a controller and it fits me more... reached the first location, enjoying the sights and doing some side quests. First thing I blew my money on is the card game.

Also, must remind myself to select a non-offensive sign in town. Oops.
All signs scare the villagers but there doesn't seem to be any negative effects.

I also haven't actually encountered anyone accusing me of stealing even though the loading screens say there are penalties.

lastverb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: May 26, 2015, 12:22:43 pm »

I also haven't actually encountered anyone accusing me of stealing even though the loading screens say there are penalties.

Only handful of containers are considered stealing, like that chest in Nilfgaard camp in first area.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: May 26, 2015, 12:28:19 pm »

So if you learn Whirl (essentially group style) in the sword tree in Witcher 2, does Geralt forget it yet again when you start Witcher 3?
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Donuts

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Madman
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: May 27, 2015, 12:35:51 am »

You deal damage to everything your sword hits, it seems. Might be reduced, though.
"Oh shit, they've got a slogan! It means they're serious!"

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: May 27, 2015, 01:02:07 am »

I fixed my FPS. I actually have a better increase than I did in 1.03 (but I probably get more out of it if I was still on 1.03)

I went into my video settings, and set PhysX to use the CPU instead of the GPU. I got a 5-10 FPS increase (which is what I got in 1.03 compared to 1.02).

Which means I always get 30+ fps. SSAO is off though, but ah well. Game still looks great.

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: May 27, 2015, 01:25:43 am »

Hopefully they don't take too long on their modding tools. They did for witcher 2 and modding never took off. But witcher 3 world is so big, open and massive that their can be some really epic mods like there is for Skyrim.

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: May 27, 2015, 04:22:21 am »

I am stuck at the part where you gather your Mhmmhmms before visisting the isle of mhmmhmmm. A lot of the quests are bugged since I started them, ignored them and the quest-relvant person moved on with there live, never showing up again at the "old" quest place. It's depressing.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 12