Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Interactions with limited number of uses and other interaction suggestions.  (Read 643 times)

Maklak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Currently once a citizen learns to do an interaction, that citizen can do it as many times as the cooldowns and it's lifespan will allow. For some mods it would be useful to have interactions that run out after a certain number of uses. Otherwise things like permanent combat drugs can be rather overpowered.
EDIT:
For limiting the use of interactions we have the [CDI:WAIT_PERIOD:50], but there is no real way to make an interaction be only usable say 5 times, other than making the syndrome add it 5 times with ridiculously long durations and wait periods. I propose that we get [CDI:MAX_USES:5] so that the interaction can be used exactly 5 times before it expires and the syndrome that allows it is removed from the creature, saving some RAM and CPU.
This would be useful for mods for one-time interactions as well as things like burst weapons with limited number of ammunition, magic items granting a limited number of spells with a reaction at a workshop and similar things and shouldn't be hard to implement.

A screen listing all the interactions (barring those tagged invisible) currently known by a citizen would also be useful to keep track of things such as spells and other upgrades.
EDIT: There is a dfhack script that does this.

Some kind of way for a workshop to give a syndrome / interaction to the creature performing a reaction with 100% efficiency would also be great for this. The current methods are evaporating boulders, which aren't 100% effective or food / drink with a syndrome, but this requires a lot of micro-management.
EDIT: This also seems to work with dfhack now.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2013, 05:52:04 pm by Maklak »
Quote from: Omnicega
Since you seem to criticize most things harsher than concentrated acid, I'll take that as a compliment.
On mining Organics
Military guide for FoE mod.
Research: Crossbow with axe and shield.
Dropbox referral

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile

You could introduce downsides of some sort.

I know we don't have MP in this game, but using up stamina or causing the character to become magically more hungry/thirst/tired may represent some sort of physical limit to how much a character can pull some of these actions before being "drained" one way or another. 

Honestly, I think that the game as a whole would benefit from having a two-endurance system.

That is, physical actions (like running, crafting items at a workshop, hauling heavy objects, etc.) consume physical endurance, and then there's a sort of emotional endurance (patience/focus/stress/sanity) for mentally taxing actions, which could include jobs like bookkeeping, architect, mechanic, liar, reader, or the overt "spellcasting" reactions like raising the dead.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare