Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Coming of Age traditions  (Read 3344 times)

kiba

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Coming of Age traditions
« on: February 04, 2013, 06:42:34 am »

Each civilization should have their own coming of age ceremony in which 13 years must do before they become adults.

For example, in one civilization, each child is forced to become an adventurer and slay a villain before coming back home. The effect of that is only a few adventurer made it back to become adults and people tend to produce lot of children against adventure death. As a result, the civilization is full of mighty warriors but is vastly outnumbered by any other civilizations.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
Re: Coming of Age traditions
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2013, 11:53:12 am »

I support this as part of procedural cultures, but I disagree that each civilization should have them, or that it would happen at 13 years.

Robosaur

• Bay Watcher
  • [POOP:INORGANIC: NUCLEAR_BOMBS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2013, 10:38:20 pm »

this + pokemon mod = .__.
You are a terrible person and the sad truth is deep down you know it.

Escapism

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2013, 02:20:42 pm »

Hehe, I could see how this could turn hilarious with procedurality, assuming there are enough variables that could interact with each other. "You must do a with b at c, then use d to e f!". Then again, we will probably be able to interpret some kind of poetry into it anyway.

Will maybe allow some pseudo-evolution to take place for cultures. Coming of age ritual requiring your 5-year olds to slay a dragon and craft a floodgate out of its bones? Tough luck.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2013, 09:03:02 pm »

Good idea overall.

For example, in one civilization, each child is forced to become an adventurer and slay a villain before coming back home. The effect of that is only a few adventurer made it back to become adults and people tend to produce lot of children against adventure death. As a result, the civilization is full of mighty warriors but is vastly outnumbered by any other civilizations.
What kind of place has so many "villains" for this to be applicable to most of even just the male population?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Avo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2013, 04:31:09 pm »

Good idea overall.

What kind of place has so many "villains" for this to be applicable to most of even just the male population?

Dwarves. I get way more than one monster invading my fort for every dwarf child that reaches the age of 13. That said, it should be something procedural generated within strong boundaries. It could easily result in civilizations rapidly going extinct.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2013, 04:32:34 pm »

Ohh you silly people

Don't you know that REAL coming of age traditions are actually brutal and torturous?

No joke. In fact outright torture can be a coming of age tradition.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2013, 08:14:42 pm »

Dwarves. I get way more than one monster invading my fort for every dwarf child that reaches the age of 13.
Your fortresses are fairly small settlements, and let's face it, they probably have a pretty high child mortality rate. In addition, I can't imagine that most settlements get hit with attacks as often as player fortresses do. Anyways, there's a difference between "villain" and "random big critter."

Ohh you silly people
Don't you know that REAL coming of age traditions are actually brutal and torturous?
No joke. In fact outright torture can be a coming of age tradition.
Did they typically have enough torture to go around?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2013, 10:37:29 pm »

Yes they usually do. Mutilation, starvation, marathon marches are all common.

It isn't uncommon in comming of age ceremonies that pernament injury and death would occur.

They are rarely these nice things people think of. They are often grueling and dangerous.

Escapism

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2013, 10:53:43 am »

Yes they usually do. Mutilation, starvation, marathon marches are all common.

It isn't uncommon in comming of age ceremonies that pernament injury and death would occur.

They are rarely these nice things people think of. They are often grueling and dangerous.

Circumcision comes to mind.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2013, 09:22:28 pm »

Yes they usually do...
Missing my point, which was about if there were enough "villains" for a coming-of-age tradition requiring one to kill one. Let alone villians a child could defeat.
Sig

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2013, 01:28:23 am »

Yes they usually do...
Missing my point, which was about if there were enough "villains" for a coming-of-age tradition requiring one to kill one. Let alone villians a child could defeat.

Keas.
Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

It's useful to keep a ‼torch‼ handy.

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2013, 01:31:50 am »

Good idea overall.

Wall Street?
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2013, 02:46:46 pm »

Yes they usually do...
Keas.
Good idea overall.

Wall Street?

...Neither of those qualify as "villains" in the technical sense, and the one which qualifies better is also the one a child couldn't hope to beat.
Sig