Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 47

Author Topic: Alpha Test for Might & Fealty  (Read 47865 times)

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Alpha Test for Might & Fealty
« Reply #270 on: April 04, 2013, 09:13:34 am »

Yea, maybe if there were mechanics that made it harder to sweep over/take everything at the same time... cause the natural want for players in war is the total destruction of the enemy so they can't retaliate, ever.

Also, shifting resources to another village is a slow affair, that is if I don't want to starve my militia/troops in training.  Maybe I should just recruit the excess peasants and then disband em.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Shooer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: April 04, 2013, 09:31:29 am »

There are two big reasons that there isn't character death related to age
  • The speed of the game at 6 IG days a RL day means that there are 6 IG years to a RL year.  Assuming characters start at the age of 16 (not that far of a stretch in a medieval setting) then the first characters made would be 22 on the games first anniversary after release, and 28 on the second.  So to me it would take a character at least 3 RL years before a character reaches the point where old age would kill them, in a medieval setting.
  • Random death isn't fun.  Who truly wants to wake up in the morning and find out that one of their generals died of random disease #6 and now all their troops have disbanded.  Troops that took real time to make, real time that can't be sped up, can't be skipped, can't be undone.  Even a 1% chance of random death while standing around is to much in a game like this.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: April 04, 2013, 10:28:53 am »

There are two big reasons that there isn't character death related to age
  • The speed of the game at 6 IG days a RL day means that there are 6 IG years to a RL year.  Assuming characters start at the age of 16 (not that far of a stretch in a medieval setting) then the first characters made would be 22 on the games first anniversary after release, and 28 on the second.  So to me it would take a character at least 3 RL years before a character reaches the point where old age would kill them, in a medieval setting.
  • Random death isn't fun.  Who truly wants to wake up in the morning and find out that one of their generals died of random disease #6 and now all their troops have disbanded.  Troops that took real time to make, real time that can't be sped up, can't be skipped, can't be undone.  Even a 1% chance of random death while standing around is to much in a game like this.
I figure old age would work the same as in BM... your character would become debilitated in things as they grow old.  (That is if it would have been implemented, but it is not going to be implemented.)

'Random Deaths'
In comparison to BM: Death really isn't random...  unless you count heroes and dying in glorious battle. (Or small skirmishes with peasants, hah!)
Or... players arbitrarily executing your character after they capture him/her.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Shooer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: April 04, 2013, 10:36:10 am »

Being captured and executed or taking an arrow through the eye isn't random, that is player driven.  While having a character that died from some random event that is completely game mechanic related and is out of your hands, that is random.

Like I said random death in a game like this isn't fun, it's a detriment.

Gervassen

• Bay Watcher
  • Be aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: April 04, 2013, 11:44:41 am »

Old age isn't random. You see a guy getting old, he falls ill for a week, bam, he's dead. It's more predictable than the far more random death in battle. You might say, well, you have the choice of going into battle or not; I say, well, you also have the choice of using an old character or not.

This is just theoretical, since the age won't be included and I don't really care either.
The way's paved with knaves that I've horribly slain.
See me coming, better run for them hills.
Listen up now...

-- Babycakes

Mookzen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: April 04, 2013, 03:15:02 pm »

At first I was against not having aging, but after some thought it seems ok. Besides, Tom did note that we aren't elves...

Brotato

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Destroyer of Threads!
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: April 04, 2013, 03:23:34 pm »

I don't know about you guys, but I really like the idea of being these Numenorian-like beings.
Dwarf Fortress: The only game where people will hold a logical discussion about why dwarves are putting on clothes.
OK, I have to reload the save.
There was a bit of a problem regarding flashfreezing, a ballistae, and a barrel of dwarven ale. Gonna fix it up.

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #277 on: April 04, 2013, 04:34:29 pm »

You can always kill off your characters and have heirs inherit every so often to RP dying of old age if you wanted to.
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

Mookzen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: April 05, 2013, 05:28:05 am »

You can always kill off your characters and have heirs inherit every so often to RP dying of old age if you wanted to.

Ritualistic sacrifice, a form of punishment, a gruesome tradition etc. there are plenty of RP reasons for those bored of playing the same characters. Not that death would be uncommon in the final implementation of the game.

Mookzen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: April 05, 2013, 05:38:04 am »

Did the whole M&F website just break ? Ok false alarm its back up.

Gervassen

• Bay Watcher
  • Be aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: April 05, 2013, 06:01:41 am »

Yeah, for a minute I thought Silverfire had hacked the server and deleted the database to halt his swiftly approaching defeat.
The way's paved with knaves that I've horribly slain.
See me coming, better run for them hills.
Listen up now...

-- Babycakes

Brotato

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: April 05, 2013, 08:31:44 am »

Oh man, you need to look at this post:
One note: Declaring a war is a good way to get a bunch of trolls to create new characters in your realm to screw with things, and to send random characters to attack "weakly defended" settlements with 400 peasant armies, and then strip them bare to no peasants and continue to your other settlements.

Silverfire is raging so hard :P
Dwarf Fortress: The only game where people will hold a logical discussion about why dwarves are putting on clothes.
There was a bit of a problem regarding flashfreezing, a ballistae, and a barrel of dwarven ale. Gonna fix it up.

Mookzen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: April 05, 2013, 08:35:52 am »

Yeah saw that, hilarious stuff. The fall of great empires starts and ends in rage.

Brotato

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: April 05, 2013, 08:41:45 am »

Oh well.  Dude shouldn't have attacked the Ebonhearts.  I always honor my word and I always protect my friends and allies.

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: April 05, 2013, 08:42:47 am »

lol well played...been following that whole thing...pretty much awesome
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 47