Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 47

Author Topic: Alpha Test for Might & Fealty  (Read 47824 times)

PanH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Alpha Test for Might & Fealty
« Reply #165 on: March 29, 2013, 12:52:22 pm »

I have a mountain village currently, which feeds most of my metal. Though, a mountainous barony is going to be hard on food, it would need more settlements. And I think that having at least 1 grassland is sort of mandatory for a capital/main city.
As of right now, is wood/metal of any use ? I trade them, but as opposed to food, I don't noticed any drawback to be out of it.

Mookzen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: March 29, 2013, 01:06:13 pm »

A mountain barony would be viable if the metal is worth enough to provide an import of food for growth. However, considering how valuable food is in the current metagame, it doesn't seem likely, your mountain barony would be weak.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2013, 01:10:31 pm by Mookzen »

Gervassen

• Bay Watcher
  • Be aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: March 29, 2013, 01:22:46 pm »

I'm pretty confident that iron and wood do nothing now, and will have a big impact later.
The way's paved with knaves that I've horribly slain.
See me coming, better run for them hills.
Listen up now...

-- Babycakes

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: March 29, 2013, 02:44:43 pm »

Feed Mountains from grassland, so I can develop mountains. -->  Become Mountain Baron that can train only 2-5 high tier infantry/archers at a time, per mountain settlement.  --> Give away semi-developed grasslands to other playersdeserving allies/players who have no estates of their own.
Each and every peasant's life will be precious...  Even more so the hardy mountain troops I train up...

Sell metal for...  ???  -> profit?

EDIT: Oh yea, don't ya forget, it is a social political game, so I am more then likely to be joining another nearby realm... I don't think I'll have the ambitions/staying power to actually rule one.   And I would have pretty poor prospects standing alone as an entirely independent realmfamilial clan...

Unless I am given poor terms for joining the realm... The Mountain people will stand firm, opposing the tyranny over the rights of my nobility.  (Hah)
« Last Edit: March 29, 2013, 02:57:58 pm by Zangi »
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

PanH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: March 29, 2013, 03:28:36 pm »

Yea, I think standing alone as a kind of realm is suicide. Either you want to be some kind of mercenary, or part of a bigger coalition.

Gervassen

• Bay Watcher
  • Be aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: March 29, 2013, 03:46:04 pm »

I think it's doable, so long as you have similar allies. Not a realm where you all are feeding the city of some megalomaniac like Silverfire, but a loose confederacy of independents.

The most you need to be a devastating force in battle is 600 men to build an Archery School. I went for a city making knights and plate armour, but I can very well envision that someone with 10 towns of 800ish size beats my knights silly with 10 times as many longbowmen as I have knights. Large cities just appear like the endgame, but they're actually quite underpowered in the present incarnation.
Listen up now...

-- Babycakes

PanH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: March 29, 2013, 04:01:23 pm »

We don't know yet how strong the units are compared to each other. With the combat system, I guess an army of longbowmen would make lots of kill during the first round, and then get slaughtered. We would also have to know the production, if it could deplete the population (unlikely, from what I've seen, recruitement of advanced units can't do, only mass enrolment of peasants), etc. I am going for garrison (currently guardhouse in 2 turns).
Also, I guess some units are good against other ones, like I think pikemen/spearmen are better against mounted (it's a supposition, I haven't tested).

And yes, a coalition, it could also be an empire (Silverfire), etc. As long as the different players hold together and defend each other, it's feasible. But, inland baronies (or whatever) would have to help the border baronies (and I guess that inland settlements, without war, would probably be richer).

Knight of Fools

• Bay Watcher
  • From Start to Beginning
    • View Profile
    • Knight of Fools
« Reply #172 on: March 29, 2013, 04:40:40 pm »

That sounds like an interesting situation. I haven't played the game yet, but the only way I can think of to avoid a situation where the inner counties don't become more powerful and prosperous is if everyone agreed to 1) Contribute significantly to any war efforts. Everyone would have to work together and actually plan attacks and defenses to make this work. 2) Help rebuild any damages received as a result of raids and wars. 3) Help prepare defenses, such as walls and castles.

To simplify things so it's slightly more organized, a leader could be selected by a vote from each of the counties. It should use the Alternative Vote to avoid everyone simply voting for themselves and avoid a 2 party system. It may be complicated, but having an organized group of people with such a complicated system is both impressive and allows for a larger number of counties to be involved. This encourages growth as people want to be a part of something cool and have an opportunity to make a difference in it.

Naturally, the elected leader would have to have fairly limited powers, since you don't want a tyrant getting elected and causing trouble. His sole purpose should be overall strategy, information, and diplomacy. Big decisions, such as treaties, war, and allowing new members into the confederacy, should be taken to a vote.

There's also the problem of dividing any territory that happens to get conquered by the federation. Since everyone contributes, everyone is going to want a piece of the pie, but (As far as I know) territories can only be controlled by a single lord. I suppose a new one could be raised to occupy it, but that still seems kind of wonky. The best way would be to share in the profits and expenditures, but that becomes more difficult when you get more than a few lords working together.

The only way I can think of to prevent that is to allow someone or a group of someones to request an offensive war, have it come to a vote, and allow those who requested the war to determine who receives territory. They can determine payments and such between themselves. Offensive wars shouldn't require everyone's assistance, so if the attacking lords want more help they'd need to ask more counties to join in. If the war turns sour and requires action by the confederacy (Such as defending territories), everyone dog piles on the intruding forces, keeping the realm stable and defensible. The parties who initiated the war will be required to compensate anyone forced to participate.

It sounds like I might like this game, if just for the chance to attempt to make a system like that. If anyone happens to have a key floating around, I'm up for it.
Proud Member of the Zombie Horse Executioner Squad. "This Horse ain't quite dead yet."

I don't have a British accent, but I still did a YouTube.

PanH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: March 29, 2013, 09:56:55 pm »

If nobody here has a key left, you can try to ask on the M&F forum (don't make a new thread, in the invite ligger's thread).

Brotato

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Destroyer of Threads!
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: March 30, 2013, 11:27:49 pm »

Looks like peasant armies are no longer going to be so useful now that Tom has nerfed them.
Dwarf Fortress: The only game where people will hold a logical discussion about why dwarves are putting on clothes.
OK, I have to reload the save.
There was a bit of a problem regarding flashfreezing, a ballistae, and a barrel of dwarven ale. Gonna fix it up.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: March 30, 2013, 11:31:32 pm »

Looks like peasant armies are no longer going to be so useful now that Tom has nerfed them.
Technically, we don't know how well they would have faired against +conscripts to know if they really even needed a nerf or not.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Brotato

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Destroyer of Threads!
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: March 30, 2013, 11:41:07 pm »

I feel like 800 peasants vs. 10-20 conscripts would still have been pretty weighted towards the peasants.
Dwarf Fortress: The only game where people will hold a logical discussion about why dwarves are putting on clothes.
OK, I have to reload the save.
There was a bit of a problem regarding flashfreezing, a ballistae, and a barrel of dwarven ale. Gonna fix it up.

Gervassen

• Bay Watcher
  • Be aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: March 31, 2013, 02:45:08 am »

When I hit 4000 in my main town, free plate armour for B12ers.

Oh, and check out my strategy: I'm going to recruit heavy infantry, blood them on a few training battles with peasants, and put them in plate armour. Much easier, I think, than clogging my queues with actual knights. Highly experimental at this point.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2013, 03:24:46 am by Gervassen »
Listen up now...

-- Babycakes

PanH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: March 31, 2013, 03:45:06 am »

Also, you need war horses for knights, which are quite hard to obtain. Barracks and light infantry is on the way for me.

ank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: March 31, 2013, 03:53:38 am »

And so we buckled and joined the Aerinia kingdom.

Brotato: now that we have our children married, the next character you create should be their offspring(He will be part of your dynasty)
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 47