Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 47

Author Topic: Alpha Test for Might & Fealty  (Read 47745 times)

ank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Alpha Test for Might & Fealty
« Reply #585 on: September 28, 2013, 08:11:23 am »

A few points:
Might&Fealty will not be subscription based - instead you buy 'gametime'. Once that runs out, you are finished, no need to unsuscribe or any similar hassle.
Next, Tom did mention that cost per month might still be tweaked. I expect that those 20€ will buy you more than 3 months...my personal benchmark is that for a lightweight game I would gladly invest 5€ per month, would be willing to invest 7€ per month (the current price of M&F) and would be willing but hesitant to invest 10€ per month. In addition Tom mentioned that its possible that he will add a free trial period (which I think would be absolutely necessary).

To me there is no different between subscription and whatever you just described. Point is, you have to pay per month.

The fact that everything is still up in the air, is really a problem for me. In most crowd funding schemes, you know that if you pay a certain amount you will get the game(if the game ever gets finished). With this, and any MMO really, it's a huge problem that you don't know how much more you will have to pay when the game comes out.

About the trial period, Tom has in the past been firmly against this, because you need all players to be committed to the game.
On the other hand one of his actual ideas was a lite subscription, where you could play a limited number of characters for no monthly fee, but you still have to buy the game though.

Mookzen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #586 on: September 28, 2013, 07:17:20 pm »

Indeed, the main problem is that the game does not lend itself well to presentation and apart from the alpha crowd and the battlemaster crowd its likely people stumbling upon the campaign do not understand what the gameplay is like, despite attempts being make to describe it. The videos Tom has been putting up help in explaining the conceptual part of the game yet gamers need visceral feedback and the game has little of that which makes it particularly challenging to crowdfund.

In any case, Tom has made it clear that the project continues in some manner regardless of funding so obviously going to support the campaign and hope for a smallish yet steadily growing community of dedicated players.

Gervassen

• Bay Watcher
  • Be aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #587 on: October 18, 2013, 08:49:45 am »

So, who from B12 is in on this? I liked the alpha well enough as part of a B12 alliance, but if the final game is just BM diehards, it will probably be a bit insular and incestuous. Easy to give a miss, then.
The way's paved with knaves that I've horribly slain.
See me coming, better run for them hills.
Listen up now...

-- Babycakes

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #588 on: October 18, 2013, 01:32:27 pm »

Meh, the fact that this is on indiego or whatever is the main thing stopping me, cause I'd have to sign up for it.  Plus, I have the impression that this game is going to be more time intensive AND sensitive then Battlemaster...  Cause coordinated attacks and all that are real time instead of turn based or something.

Which means I'd most likely end up dropping it, unless I'm fine being some shoddy knight that shows up late or never.  Which would make it really hard to find a sponsor... which probably would further make the game unfun for me.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #589 on: October 18, 2013, 01:58:53 pm »

Stopped playing Travian because while I liked the promise of the game it was too time-intensive and favored old players too much. But it was free; if it had cost anything I wouldn't have even done a free trial. I don't mind paying 10-15 bucks for a game, but it needs to be a really polished, really extensive, really rich MMO for me to pay anything more than a one-time purchase.

I guess what I'm saying is, if he wants a broad player base he should charge something like $10 a year at absolute maximum. At that point monthly payments don't make sense because the amount is too small and it would get eaten up in processing fees.

Or, he should develop the game so it's so completely intensely awesome and bug-free and a new player can feel like something other than forcemeat for the experienced players. Then he can charge no more than $5 a month.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

TanSerrai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #590 on: October 24, 2013, 02:10:31 am »

Quick update:
The 3rd Alpha will be starting soon. As I have donated, I'll receive additional invite codes. One I would offer here for someone interested...so speak up!

And some notes:
- time intensive: I doubt that it will be that time intensive. Personally I am looking for a game that does _not_ suck up a lot of my time while still allowing rich gameplay - and I am quite positive that M&F is going that route. I did participate in both alphas and these did not demand any excessive ammount (even though I did play on the ducal level including forging alliances with other realms). Much depends on how many characters you want to control - 2-4 is easy, 15 needs some investment...while the (theoretically possible) 40-100 characters would lead to insanity.
- coordinated attacks: Since battles will be resolved at tick, 4 times a day, coordination will be possible without having to be online. Much will rest with the message system...the basics are implemented and already working well but Tom said repeatedly that its going to be expanded quite a lot.
- 'shoddy knights': Again from personal experience...if you want to lead a group controlling any ammount of territory you will _need_ knights...including giving them a parcel of land and quite a lot of independence. This is one of the elegant design choices...no 'carve out an empire' for every single player (like Travian...bah!) but the options to play at whatever level you choose to.

Thus - anyone interested in an invite key, leave a message here, I'll check.

Have fun!
« Last Edit: October 24, 2013, 03:33:34 am by TanSerrai »

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #591 on: October 24, 2013, 07:11:04 am »

I was part of the first 2 alphas and would love to be part of the 3rd one as well to see how it has progressed!

TanSerrai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #592 on: October 25, 2013, 02:05:41 am »

First invite key sent.

One more invite key is to be had. Shout out.

ank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #593 on: October 25, 2013, 04:22:52 am »

I feel bad about asking for a key, since I do not intend to buy the game, because of the subscription.
However, one could argue this would be a chance to change my opinion.

HARD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #594 on: October 25, 2013, 04:51:26 am »

This game is definitly my thing, i would like alpha key, planning to buy the game when it's released.

Mookzen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #595 on: October 25, 2013, 01:14:16 pm »

I'm going to wait a little while until things settle down in the test before giving away invites, aiming to leave the best impression possible. Also, going to be giving out all of them here due to fondness for forum bros and broettes.

Knave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #596 on: October 25, 2013, 03:14:56 pm »

Looks like I just contributed as well, so we'll have a few Bay12ers going around ready to claim the known world. If/when I receive alpha keys, Id be happy to share them with you fine folks!

TanSerrai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #597 on: October 28, 2013, 04:13:28 am »

Last key sent.

The map is being settled rapidly - I am now very much looking forward to the formation of baronies, realms and would-be empires. Good to see things moving so swift!

HARD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #598 on: October 28, 2013, 04:46:05 am »

Is it possible to 'make' marriage between two different players? If yes then how to do it?

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #599 on: October 28, 2013, 05:28:14 am »

There is an option for it under the politics tab. It is on the left side and is labeled "Manage Partners". You have to be within range of said person I do believe.
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 47