Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 47

Author Topic: Alpha Test for Might & Fealty  (Read 47890 times)

Brotato

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Destroyer of Threads!
    • View Profile
Re: Alpha Test for Might & Fealty
« Reply #315 on: April 06, 2013, 12:13:04 pm »

It's official:  I now control Sol, and to commemorate this moment I shall rename Briseadh or "Defeat" so no one may forget this moment.  Unfortunately the Aerinians are going to have a rude awakening when they realize this war isn't done.  Not by a longshot.
Dwarf Fortress: The only game where people will hold a logical discussion about why dwarves are putting on clothes.
OK, I have to reload the save.
There was a bit of a problem regarding flashfreezing, a ballistae, and a barrel of dwarven ale. Gonna fix it up.

PanH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: April 06, 2013, 12:13:47 pm »

Right, he had a chance to defend himself after a preemptive strike.
I also don't see your point about peasants when it has been shown that they're garbage against more advanced soldiers (look at the Sol battle), and battle odds haven't even been implemented yet.

revo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: April 06, 2013, 12:34:48 pm »

Now what makes the difference between the midnight raid and the peasants? well one is SMA and the other is a ridiculous use of game mechanics that shouldn't even be there in the first place.

The peasants are there for everyone to use. You act as if I did something that no one else can do. That strategy is part of the game and there are steps to fight it by playing defensively. Your lands were wide open, your lords all at the front lines, and amazingly you didn't even react for a few turns when you saw the first red battle signs go up right next to your capital. You succumbed to a thing called Imperial Overreach. So don't tell me how to play the game simply because the way it happened didn't go well for you. You were about to eat, and you got eaten.

By the way, night raids were vanishingly rare before modern warfare, but recruiting peasants was exceedingly common in these things called "levies" that you might have heard of. One of us was SMA, but it was me.

You're telling me getting 800 peasants to fight for you out of a village you just conquered with no troops but other peasants. levies were generally given rudimentary training and some equipment. Also there is no "night" in MF so that argument is completely invalid. You're wrong and you're the kind of exploiting douche that ruins most video games.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: April 06, 2013, 01:07:00 pm »

Tell peasants to take their pitchforks out and march with the army... otherwise, you'll massacre em and their families.

Many slip away during the night, but who cares there are enough of em.  Many more turn tail and run after a few of em are injured/killed.  But who cares? That is expected of em.  They blunted the damage to your real soldiers.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Gervassen

• Bay Watcher
  • Be aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: April 06, 2013, 01:56:02 pm »

Revo, you're going to keep your opinion, so I'll just say that Tom thinks the mechanic is basically sound, with a few needed tweaks. You know you're not being truthful when you claim that Ebonheart would have had time to call allies and enjoy a fair war. It was I who offered him the advice to emergency recruit his peasants as a last ditch defense. Without doing that, his whole realm would have fallen in its entirety precisely two hours after he woke up. And that's how you planned it.

Btw, guys, I have some ex-Lanyon territories to off-load, if anyone wants to be my vassal. I just became a member of Sonaria because the game literally is not designed to allow unaligned players taking territories from aligned players. The fighting is dying down, and the towns are decently in one piece still. Trust me, they're hella juicy.

Also, the Black Knight will swear fealty to Brotato for now; and after the war, you can distribute his non-Lanyon holdings to other vassals. I want to keep the Lanyon holdings under my realm, though, because they give me such warming feelings inside.  :P

---

Oh, hey, someone is attacking Lanyon's Lament. You're going to laugh yourself sick when you see the battle results. Turns out peasants can get a decent bit of experience when people are always failing to capture their town. And experience means equipment options...
« Last Edit: April 06, 2013, 02:19:50 pm by Gervassen »
The way's paved with knaves that I've horribly slain.
See me coming, better run for them hills.
Listen up now...

-- Babycakes

PanH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: April 06, 2013, 02:32:54 pm »

Peasants still desert, even when they have better equipment/experience.

Gervassen

• Bay Watcher
  • Be aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: April 06, 2013, 02:39:59 pm »

Yeah, but these are garrisoned, so they won't desert, so long as they're kept stationary. That's why they had the chance to accumulate such experience in the first place. It only takes 5 experience for a shortbow, and the attacker has at least 300 arrows headed toward him. That'll leave a mark.
Listen up now...

-- Babycakes

sjm9876

• Bay Watcher
  • Did not so much Fall as Saunter Vaguely Downwards
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: April 06, 2013, 04:15:52 pm »

Well, I'm in.
I have made the probably stupid decision to claim one of the last free villages, hicumen on the north of the eastern peninsula. Apparently it is unable to feed itself, even with no workers assigned, which isn't good. my current theory is that it will reach equilibrium when enough people starve. I also have a very bad wood deficit, although does this have an effect? the one thing i have is metal, for which i currently have no use, apart from trade which i am trying to establish.
My dreams are not unlike yours - they long for the safety, and break like a glass chandelier.
But there's laughter and oh there is love, just past the edge of our fears.
And there's chaos when push comes to shove, but it's music to my ears.

Sigtext

PanH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: April 06, 2013, 04:19:43 pm »

Any ressources other than food are useless atm.
And yes, you'll have to starve a bit.

Brotato

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: April 06, 2013, 06:24:44 pm »

If anyone feels like joining with the Brotato/Gervassen ROFL-stomp now is the time to do so.  Land to divide and wars to fight are promised to all!
Dwarf Fortress: The only game where people will hold a logical discussion about why dwarves are putting on clothes.
There was a bit of a problem regarding flashfreezing, a ballistae, and a barrel of dwarven ale. Gonna fix it up.

Gervassen

• Bay Watcher
  • Be aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: April 06, 2013, 09:30:33 pm »

Well, I'm being attacked, and it's right where I was vulnerable. If this is you, Revo, I gotta admit that's exactly where you should have attacked because, by habit, I always sent that town's lord to drop off his troops rather than keep him in place and send an underling. Only town with that vulnerability. Good luck or good planning. I'm in danger of becoming a Silverfire over here!
Listen up now...

-- Babycakes

Brotato

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: April 06, 2013, 09:33:26 pm »

Except Silverfire had no trustworthy or useful allies.  Plus he couldn't plan to save his live.  You've got both allies and a tactical mind.

Gervassen

• Bay Watcher
  • Be aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: April 06, 2013, 11:19:33 pm »

Actually, I'm getting tired of the brutal 4-hour turn pace, and the bug that has just trapped 1000 militia unresponsively in my city, so screw it. Time to have a life again! But I defeated the Silverfire and destroyed his grand imperial dreams! Haha! And I did it without even using my awesomely overpowered troops. Maybe I'll become a mercenary captain with 300 hunters with plate armour, and just play the small game. But I'm definitely done with clicking hundreds of drop-down menus every four hours.
Listen up now...

-- Babycakes

ank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: April 07, 2013, 02:22:50 am »

MACRO!

Revo, stop bitching about peasants, they are fucking useless.
80 hunters vs 2600 peasants:
80 peasants die and the rest runs away.
The only reason why peasants would work is that you have a bunch of totally undefended cities in a the middle of a war. and by undefended i mean literally NO troops. I have at least 5 peasants in all my cities. which will give me time to recruit a whole army, before the attack comes(in the case you have a noble in the area)

Also: who is Blackson? our ally?
« Last Edit: April 07, 2013, 02:28:50 am by ank »

Gervassen

• Bay Watcher
  • Be aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: April 07, 2013, 07:41:59 am »

Blackson is me.

Yeah, I have some autohotkey macros, but some windows are hard to macro, because the number of the controls change. If the peasant gets experience, now you have to TAB four times to go to the next soldier, been in a battle, now five times. So I only use macros for easy stuff.

My main problem right now is that my capital city is stuffed. Can't get anything out of it. My character carrying all my good troops also can't share them with anyone. Troop sizes over about 200 stop updating militia and soldiers pages, apparently.
Listen up now...

-- Babycakes
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 47