Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Ranged Weapon Alteration - Assistance Required  (Read 1328 times)

Sotsepmet Koicei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Ranged Weapon Alteration - Assistance Required
« on: February 03, 2013, 11:03:37 am »

So I suck at modding RAWs. I beg for dwarfy succor; I've been failing for hours, with no lava in sight.

I want a new custom building, to manage a new ranged weapon I want to incorporate; wands.

The building should contain reactions for the production of wands, which ought to use one metal bar and one gem, and for the production of the ammunition it will be firing (rays), and for a new quiver type (prism).

The wand should be a ranged weapon based on the spear skill rather than the hammer skill. It should fire a new BOLT class projectile, a ray. I would like the rays to be created in the custom building out of gems. I had hoped to have different jewels doing different things, but I'm happy with a high-power blast rather than anything particularly fancy. Rays ought to be stored not in a quiver, but in a prism as above.

Wands are intended to be high-power, mid-cost weapons for precious few dwarves in forts with expendable income.   

Building Attempt;
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Wandcrafting Attempt;

Wand Attempt;

Ray Attempt:

spigo

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: Ranged Weapon Alteration - Assistance Required
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2013, 11:57:23 am »

In the reaction, you need to change GET_MATERIAL_FROM_REAGENT:NONE to GET_MATERIAL_FROM_REAGENT:A:NONE and change 1:BAR to 150:BAR. Also, your reagent for gems is taking four gems, I don't know if that's intentional or not. Your product is set up incorrectly; it should be WEAPON:ITEM_WEAPON_WAND, not ITEM_WEAPON_WAND:NO_SUBTYPE.

In the building definition, change GEM to either SMALLGEM or ROUGH, depending on whether you want it to use cut gems or rough ones for the building materials.

In the wand definition, change [RANGED:WAND:RAYS] to [RANGED:SPEAR:RAYS], or else replace WAND with any existing skill token. You should also change the ray ammo [CLASS:BOLT] to [CLASS:RAYS], otherwise you'll have crossbows firing rays.

I don't think that you can create a new type of quiver. Be warned that you'll probably end up with broken rays littering the ground after using the wands in combat.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2013, 12:35:19 pm »

You can't make a new quiver type.

Sotsepmet Koicei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2013, 03:21:43 am »

Thanks very much! I don't understand how to do a lot of what I want to do, and I mostly just try to adapt similar strings from different pre-existing objects. But you could probably tell that.

If I change the ammo class to something other than BOLT, will I still be able to manufacture the rays?

Is it also possible for me to change GEM to, say, ONYX in order to have only onyx-based rays?

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2013, 04:04:38 am »

If I change the ammo class to something other than BOLT, will I still be able to manufacture the rays?
Ammo classes are completely user defined, and have no effect other then determining what weapon can shoot what ammo. If you put the ammo into the dwarven entity they will be able to manufacture it, regardless of ammo class.

Is it also possible for me to change GEM to, say, ONYX in order to have only onyx-based rays?
Your syntax isn't right here. If you wanted onyx gems only then you would need to use SMALLGEM:NONE:INORGANIC:ONYX. That should only take small cut onyx gems. If you want to change what gem you want it to take then change the ONYX part of it, and if you wanted it to use uncut onyx gems instead of cut ones then it would be ROUGH:NONE:INORGANIC:ONYX.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.