Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9

Author Topic: Steam Ship Vicky—Compensation Thrusters Optional  (Read 11427 times)

Wwolin

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXTRA_BUTCHER_OBJECT]
    • View Profile
Re: Steam Ship Vicky - Bad Moon Rising
« Reply #90 on: March 02, 2013, 05:54:00 pm »

Arden coughed, the thick green smoke beginning to fill his lungs.

"Dammit, this isn't supposed to happen. Let's hope that there's nobody below us."

Arden holds his breath and tosses the loose smokebomb overboard, before going down and gathering up the loose coal dust for later use.

"I bet I could work with this... maybe mix it into something else, give it a bit more kick."

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I meant we'd start stabbing the walls and floor for points and not just for science.

TopHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: March 03, 2013, 04:58:48 am »

"good as new. Now let's head to this warehouse place and put this welder back. Heck, if it's big enough I might be able to find a manual for that manual I found! A list of terms would be useful."
Head to warehouse, drop off welding stuff, look for something to help understand the book better.
Spoiler: Lüther von Schankel (click to show/hide)
I would ask why fire can burn two men to death without getting hot enough to burn a book, but then I read "INEXTINGUISHABLE RUNNING KAMIKAZE RADIOACTIVE FLAMING ZOMBIE" and realized that logic, reason, and physics are all occupied with crying in the corner right now.

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: March 03, 2013, 06:03:44 am »

Roland climbed out of the flak cannon, and made his way towards the belowdeck once again
"Well, that went rather well. Hany things, those skittering contraptions. Now what was this yelling about bogeys on our right?"

Go to the belowdecks. continue loading the cannons, starting with those on our west side. Look trough the firing flaps from time to time to see if we've got incoming.

"I miss the old firing team sometimes, this crap takes ages alone..."

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: March 05, 2013, 08:49:29 am »

Sairi sighed as no answer from the rest of the crew was heard, and went on a rather strange tangent of thought given the silence. Perhaps this will get them talking...

"Hey, I've found some sockets here in the control area. If anyone has found that gunbot-thing, could we try integrating its system into the ship's controls? That would be nice."

Looking around, he pulled out the pyrite coin and turned it thrice 'round.

"For Fate, For Life, For Unity."

Reminisce on that memory.

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Steam Ship Vicky - Setting Sail
« Reply #94 on: March 05, 2013, 08:55:59 am »

Gambling being his main activity, it isn't exactly a surprise when Eunh yawns and scratches his ears, quickly growing bored over the lack of proper fun - as measured by his standards, of course. Which means whenever gambling and fighting are in short order, his attention starts to slip away.

The rabbitman fishes a pair of dice from his pockets and starts to play with them as he moves away from the flak cannons with a smirk.
"If any of you needs me, I'll be at the observation spot. Just call for me."

Eunh gets back to his observation spot and takes a nap, waking up in case something important happens.
Spoiler: Eunh Destern (click to show/hide)
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

HmH

• Bay Watcher
  • Cage Trap Personified
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: March 05, 2013, 10:15:30 am »

"On it. Collecting the parts for integration now. Someone else will need to fetch the bot, though."

Collect the parts I would need to integrate the Firing Solution's brainbox into the ship's systems. Bring them to the bridge.

Spoiler: Doc Anderson (click to show/hide)

Tarangini

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a mandarin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: March 06, 2013, 09:18:13 am »

Sairi [1] is sad that no-one seems to be listening. Or maybe they're listening, but they sure ain't responding. Is the pipe even working? No way to check.

Jameson [4] quickly pops open a port and sweeps up the coal dust carefully, then throws it out the window. The interior of the coal room is now 75% less dusty. [1] He leaves the port open and heads towards the deck. [6]+2 He quickly sets to work lifting out the old, hole-punched planks and starts replacing them with newer planks, though working in the night with just a lantern has something to it.

Arden [5,5] immediately holds his breath and throws it overboard into the ocean. Hopefully not too many fish will die from it. A brisk wind whips up and whisks the remnants of the poison cloud away.

He heads down, but the diligent Jameson has already cleared away all of the coal dust. Only thin streaks are left here and there. A possibility would be swiping a lump of coal from the hopper and just grinding it up.

Luther [5] drops off all the tools and looks around. [6] He finds a manual named A Crash Course In Not Crashing A Steamship—Especially Geared Towards Idiots. The title is a bit insulting, but it does seem like it's what he wants.

Roland [6]+1 quickly and efficiently loads his cannons, making his complaints seem false. Oh, Roland just got inspired then. His old skills took over, with him sitting in his body like a passenger with no say. Slide back, clean, load, stow. A set of simple actions. He is almost as good as a robot, he might say. And really, there ain't no better compliment than that.

[6] He sees a thick bank of grey clouds out of some of the flaps. He isn't sure what they are, though Sari, their pilot, spoke about sailor's tales of it. Go into there, they said, and you are a goner.

They seem to be rolling closer.

Sairi:

He remembers a time a long, long time ago. It was when he was younger. Just a little pup. The fireplace was as tall as a mountain, and the wood inside was burning higher than a funeral bonfire. Or so he remembers. Kids don't have proper sense of size. Comes with their height. His mama was in a rocking chair, the good, dark wood kind, the one like Vicky has, well oiled and crafted with the hands of a master. She says, why, when your father was a young man, he was the best sailor around. Worked on his own boat. He was captain of a proud caravan of ten, and he say, with his own two eyes, that he lost a ship or two in rolling grey mist in the First Ocean. It sneaks up on you, just like a snake or a tiger. More snake than tiger, mind you. Then it pounces. Things come out of the dark, monsters like you thought only lived under furniture. Dark, horrid shapes that burned with fire and smoke. It only took a couple minutes for the whole fleet to break ranks and flee, but one was already lost.
A creak.
The click-click of knitting.
The crackle of fire.

Sairi hears something more, but she can't remember it well enough. It's like hearing through a tunnel full of the sea. Something warm, a high-pitched reply. Feels good. Feels like home.

Eunh [6] lazes towards his observation post again, feeling like a sack of bones inside a meat, or what? A ... set of bones inside a meat sack, more like. He climbs up the ladder and huddles inside the sheltered, relatively warm observation post. Looking to the left, he can see a long, horizontal bank of grey clouds, looking like someone took a carpet and rolled it up all the way over the sky, and the pair of magic moons rising. There is no white moon today. It's one of the kind of nights where he won his best winnings and lost his worst losses. Sometimes the gods must like to play, too, he might have thought.

[4] Over the cutting wind rattling the crystal windows, he thinks he can hear a gnashing of sorts. Whoever it is, he must be gnashing really hard.

Doc [color#448cbe][6,6,3]+2[/color] looks around the warehouse. He thinks back on his prior work with brainboxes. They kinda need to be connected to their bodies to work, but ... he is very sure he can make a wireless interface. He sits on the floor, takes out a box of random parts he has picked up over the years, and sets to work.

A quick thirty minutes later, he has a fake brainbox ready. All it does is accept orders from a brainbox that has a certain type of sync crystal attached to it. It sends orders back, too. The real brainbox will be slotted into a control panel spot. He thinks the brainbox can accept simple verbal commands, so no problems controlling it.

He saunters to the bridge and proudly connects the brainbox to the socket. [6] Nothing less than perfection. The pilot can now order the firing robot and use it to extend his range of vision, while the crew can still command the robot using the sync crystal pairs.

On the sad side, he doesn't have any magic tools left. Only good old hydraulics. Never really liked magic anyways.

The night ages. The grey clouds silently close onto the starboard side of the ship. Unaware save for a few, Vicky makes her way silently across the Second Ocean's atmosphere, headed towards the continent where the cure for the famine can be found.

Sairi estimates they are halfway towards Gateway, the entrance to the highly controlled Heavy Magic Zone, where ships are restricted to sailing in "lanes," strips of airspace that extend from the top of the Second Ocean all the way to the bottom of the Third Ocean. Going up and down in a lane is permitted, but switching lanes can only be done in emergencies and in cities.

Sairi [5] is feeling more and more tired, but he stays awake. One alarming thing is that those clouds are now less than half a tick away. Any closer and they might touch with a hard wind.

TopHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: March 06, 2013, 11:54:34 am »

"well, this looks useful.
Read manual.
Spoiler: Luther von Schankel (click to show/hide)
I would ask why fire can burn two men to death without getting hot enough to burn a book, but then I read "INEXTINGUISHABLE RUNNING KAMIKAZE RADIOACTIVE FLAMING ZOMBIE" and realized that logic, reason, and physics are all occupied with crying in the corner right now.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: March 07, 2013, 02:47:07 pm »

((I love your geography btw. Or was it physics sense? Floating oceans XD Doesn't make sense; is beautiful in the imagination though.

Also, you've just dumped a ton of deadly poison into the ocean Wwolin. Now we'll have trouble if anything comes of it. :P))

"Danger at starboard." he said over the piping, looking at the pennant of the Queen fluttering in the breeze before the edge of the right side of the ship.

"Could anyone please take over at the helm. I've adjusted the firing robot you've put into here, Doc, to let anyone see farther than what we could normally view. Really getting fatigued here."

In addition to that, find a place to rest and get a replacement in sailing this vessel at the moment.
Spoiler: Sairi Lunaria (click to show/hide)

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: March 07, 2013, 08:34:44 pm »

Jameson continues to repair the ship.

Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Steam Ship Vicky - Setting Sail
« Reply #100 on: March 08, 2013, 02:24:17 am »

Eunh grumbles a bit as the gnashing hits his ears. He has already heard some stories from old sailors and he doesn't believe them to be true, but if they happen to be...Then he'll cut things down rather violently with his sword and teach them it is a bad idea disturbing his rest anyway.
"Better not be giant flying blind mole rats."

Eunh tries to check on the origin of the gnashing.
Spoiler: Eunh Destern (click to show/hide)
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: March 08, 2013, 01:53:37 pm »

Pancaek puts his hands on his hips and lets out a sigh, he looks over the cannons.

"Well, we sure as hell ain't defenceless now. But these clouds are making my neck-hairs stand up."

His hand went to the handle of his bayonet, a reflex really.

"Ah, hell, I'm just getting paranoid."

He checked the flaps one more time, whistling an old song absentmindedly.

May the Rose of Apex never bloom,
May the Thistle never grow,
May the Harp of the city never play,
Until the Royal Marines get more pay.

He smiled, and went towards the storage room.

Check the flaps once more for anything strange outside, then head to the ammunitions store and see what we have.

HmH

• Bay Watcher
  • Cage Trap Personified
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: March 10, 2013, 02:30:19 am »

Doc looked at the 'danger' at starboard, his memory bringing up all sorts of wild superstitions about rolling clouds... such as that they eat ships that pass through them. He always chalked it up to low visibility and turbulence, but that didn't change the fact that very few ships have ever left a rolling cloud after entering one.

He took Sairi's place and leaned towards the speaking tube:
"Doc here. I'm taking the helm now. We're going to change our course slightly; make sure you're holding onto something, I'll probably have some difficulty making this girl behave."

Take over for Sairi. Remember our current altitude. Go lower so that we don't get engulfed in the clouds.

Spoiler: Doc Anderson (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: March 10, 2013, 03:35:35 pm by HmH »

Tarangini

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a mandarin!
    • View Profile
Re: Steam Ship Vicky—On The Bright Side...
« Reply #103 on: March 13, 2013, 08:35:08 am »

Luther [4] starts reading. The manual 's set with crude type, and the paper's falling apart. Looks like twenty years, give or take a few. He flips to the first page. It starts with a glossary of terms sailors use. Starboard—right. Port—left. That sorta thing. [1,5,5] Struggling through the difficult pages, he gives up when the manual starts talking about tacking to the wind. He supposes that he knows the basics, now. Just the basics.

Sairi [5] heads towards the quarters belowdecks to rest. He opens one of the doors and finds a small, cozy cabin with a bed screwed to the planks and serviceable covers and sheets. The faded cotton blue speaks of the fabrics' age. He sits down. The tiredness from piloting from dusk to midnight suddenly assaults him, and he gives in, falling on the bed contently and sleeping. Good dreams, my little fox, is what he imagines he hears in a warm grizzle voice. Father?

Jameson [4,5,6] keeps working in the dim light. He can't see much, but he's sure he patched up all the holes punched in the decks. He reinforces the boiler, but there's not much he can do with all these improvised repairs. He yearns for better tools like there used to be back home, but it seems Vicky's dreadfully underequipped for proper repairs.

Eunh [1] looks to the side, out the window. The grey cloud bank, unnaturally flat and dull, has started spreading around the ship like water breaks around a pier and tries to cut it off. It reminds him of the little amoebas he saw under a microscope once—engulf, then swallow. The sound is coming from the center of the clouds, the darkest bit where occasional, small flashes light the gloom. The wind starts to blow harder, first growling, then roaring, then howling—Run, the wind says. Run while you can. You'll be sorry if you don't. Or is that just his brain deluding itself in union with his ears?

Roland [3] uneasily whistles the song as he looks outside again. He does a double take. Can't believe his eyes. There's cloud right up to the flaps, so close he could practically poke it with a bayonet-stick and still have it around. He's shaken. It's all folks-talk, but there ain't no smoke where there ain't no fire. Or so folks say. He stumbles to the ammunition hold, tryin' to get a hold of himself. He opens the hatch and peers down. He can't see a thing in the dark, though, and looks around for a lantern. Having procured an alchemical lantern, he lets it down and hops down himself. On one side, there are neatly stacked and tied and netted crates of thirty two planks each, with around eight or seven cannonballs in each one. On another side is (again tied and netted) barrels upon barrel of gunpowder. There are replacement parts for the broadsides, flak shells for the flak cannons. They won't be running out of shot anytime soon.

Doc [1] takes over. Shortly after Sairi leaves, he puts Vicky on a descending course, and looks out the viewports. He furrows his brow and looks closely. It's almost as if the cloud is engulfing them actively. He hesitates, them slams the yoke hard forward. Agonizingly slow, Vicky tilts and starts to lose altitude. Doc lowers the fore and aft pressure level levers and keeps the yoke forward. [1] Vicky's speed is killed. Something got her. Her engines aren't being sloths, but the red arrow that tells you how fast Vicky's running is turning towards the 0 mark. Something shudders, and this time Doc sees the aft tank losing pressure faster than the needle can move. The damned clouds seem to have gotta popped them. This ain't good. On the bright side, Doc knows why nothing came back from the clouds. They're damned carnivorous.

Everyone is thrown forward as the ship de-accelerates. Roland is sprawled over a net that holds all the cannon-cleaning rods in place; Sairi wakes up to an unpleasant fall to the floor. Doc leans on the yoke, but Vicky ain't moving no more. She's caught like a deer in a trap.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2013, 08:41:21 am by Tarangini »

TopHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Steam Ship Vicky—On The Bright Side...
« Reply #104 on: March 13, 2013, 02:36:47 pm »

*sound of someone's face smashing into a piloting manual* 'ow. Owowowowow. What the hell was that?'
Find out what just happened and what I can do to solve it.
Spoiler: Lüther von Schankel (click to show/hide)
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9