Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9

Author Topic: Steam Ship Vicky—Compensation Thrusters Optional  (Read 11434 times)

HmH

• Bay Watcher
  • Cage Trap Personified
    • View Profile
Re: Steam Ship Vicky - Setting Sail
« Reply #60 on: February 17, 2013, 12:10:19 pm »

"Sairi, you're our only pilot, for gods' sake! Let others do the heavy lifting; we need you flying that ship as soon as possible!"

Haul the box on board. Open it, apply my Reverse-Engineering skills to the firing automaton, find out what's new in the Navy's automaton-building technology and how I can replicate it.
Spoiler: Doc Anderson (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: February 17, 2013, 01:37:35 pm by HmH »

Wwolin

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXTRA_BUTCHER_OBJECT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 17, 2013, 03:11:05 pm »

"Bombs, you say? I'll try to keep an eye out."

Stay vigilant on the deck, and try to shoot any bombs so that they detonate in midair and cause less damage.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: February 17, 2013, 04:33:50 pm by Wwolin »
I meant we'd start stabbing the walls and floor for points and not just for science.

Tarangini

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a mandarin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 20, 2013, 10:06:20 am »

Sairi, Roland, and Doc [4] + [1] + [3]

Between the three, they manage to haul the crate on-board.

[3] Sairi looks at the now-dark sky. The stars are starting to peek out, with the bright North Star above the ocean of air. The great emptiness might hide any number of frightening foes, but from here it all looks so serene. [1]

Roland [1] runs out of strength on the main deck and drops the crate, sharply bumping a corner against the wooden floor. He jumps back in surprise, then quickly examines the crate, seeing it isn't damaged. Looking at Doc, [4] he finds a pick from a closet and pries the front panel apart. Inside is a roughly spider-shaped clockwork contraption, with gears and all. It has six legs that widen towards wide feet, a solid body of dull steel, arms that can handle heavy loads, and a trio of glass lenses for it to see. The navy had used firing robots for a while by then. There ain't enough people willing to live a good portion of their lives on a small ship, surrounded by powder, men, and bad food. There ain't no women on navy ships, usually. And of course, there's no ... eh, forget about that one. The point is, the navy made robots to help man the guns. Each one has a 'brain' made from precise magic, imported straight from First Ocean, a city-state named Sol. Kinda ironic, seeing that Sol's under one of First Ocean's floating continents, Wiek, and don't see much sun during the year. These robots shot as well as any good man of the seas. There wasn't never enough of them.

Doc [1+1] immediately sets to pulling the robot apart, to the protest of Roland. The many layers of gears, small pieces, gyroscopes, hydraulics, and of course, the brain-box serve enough to make him unable to put it back together again. He sees that it's more-or-less the same, with the exception that it doesn't use coal anymore. Doc thinks that it has a chunk of ignitite in it, stone that is always hot. Some say that it's a heart of a thousand year old wyvern. Some think that it's made in the heart of the earth, under the First Ocean, deep under the mines. Well, whatever they say, ignitite ain't getting cool any time soon. You drop it into the ocean, the ocean'd sooner dry up than ignitite losing its fiery temper.

Luther [3] flicks the vents off. He frowns, looking at the various buttons around. He jabs a random one, which is marked GAIN. He had this feeling, see? The gauge that measures the pressure in the main air hold starts rising, and Victoria groans, her wooden planks and beams holding her weight again after a long time in the drydocks. She shakes, she shudders, and she wakes up. Takes to the skies. A ship gotta fly to be a ship. A ship's gotta fly.

Slowly, another gauge, a long, vertical one, with a thin red bar comes to life and trembles between the lines of one and zero. Everyone on the ship feels a lurching, gravity forgetting that it's supposed to be constant, not stronger as it whims. Victoria rises.

Eunh [2] worriedly looks around. The almost completely dark night sky finally and lethally hides any ship from sight. Only the dull boom of a signaling cannon is heard. Three short booms, fired immediately after the the other, saying that it is night, and that the fighting is over, for now. Night is the worst time to be in the air. That don't mean people don't fly at night. But they do stop fighting. Even the pirates. Heck, even the savage wyverns go to their rocky, treacherous roosts when the sun goes down. There's something about the time after sunset that unnerves man and beast alike. Old sailor's tale says that when you fly at night, don't ever go into a flat, shelf-shaped bank of clouds. Any ship who go into them clouds don't come out again. The worst scum, the lowliest of the pirates sometimes keep fighting at night. But those are rare. Eunh's hairs raise on the back of his neck. An eerie sense of danger fills his every pore, like just before lightning strikes.

Jameson [4] tugs on a short rope that is tied to a corner of the floor. It opens, and he peeks down to see that there's coal stacked in the bin there. Relieved, he heads to the bridge.

Arden [2] looks around, but he can't make out any detail in the dark sky. Only stars. [2] Only stars.

HmH

• Bay Watcher
  • Cage Trap Personified
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 20, 2013, 11:02:35 am »

((@Tarangini: Would you mind if I asked how points in Green Stats work? I have 2 points in Tinkering, and they seem to give me a +1 to Tinkering rolls. What do people with 1 point get?))

Doc, the fire of SCIENCE burning in his veins, refused to show puzzlement at the machine's construction; his reassembly skills may have gotten a little rusty over the years, but he was sure that with a little more time he'd get the grasp of it.

He hunched over the pile of gears and tubes that was once the Firing Solution, pulled down his monocle and grumbled stubbornly:

"Hmph. A whole decade, and they could only make one lousy upgrade? Most disappointing. Oh well, back to work!"

Make another attempt to put the robot back together... but not before adding a man-machine interface to it.
I've never had the pleasure of direct interaction with a brain-box; it would be educational to synchronize with that thing sometime after the battle.

Spoiler: Doc Anderson (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: February 20, 2013, 02:16:07 pm by HmH »

TopHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 20, 2013, 01:14:49 pm »

"well that worked. But what does that mean?
Figure out what the gauge is, look for an instruction manual on flying this thing.

Spoiler: Luther Von Schankel (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: February 21, 2013, 02:00:54 pm by TopHat »
I would ask why fire can burn two men to death without getting hot enough to burn a book, but then I read "INEXTINGUISHABLE RUNNING KAMIKAZE RADIOACTIVE FLAMING ZOMBIE" and realized that logic, reason, and physics are all occupied with crying in the corner right now.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 20, 2013, 02:59:44 pm »

can i still join?
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 20, 2013, 06:27:54 pm »

Happening to walk past where Roland and Doc are working with the Firing robot, Jameson notices that they have managed to take it apart so that they can't get it back together.

"Here, let me help you with that."

Go to where Roland and Doc are. Assist repairs of the firing bot.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 20, 2013, 06:29:06 pm »

Eunh was bothered, his mind disturbed as if pricked by small needles that just wouldn't stop trying to tell him something was amiss.
"Hey guys. Something seems about to happen up here and I can bet we won't like it."

Eunh yells again and gets to a safe place where he can keep observing.
Spoiler: Eunh Destern (click to show/hide)
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 21, 2013, 07:14:05 am »

This sky...so much like home. Serene, and yet filled with unknown danger.

I miss you mother.

Sairi held on as his thoughts convalesced into cohesive and understandable thought. The ship was increasing in velocity. There was something wrong with the propulsion...that, or someone just engaged the kick-off button too hard.

"Everyone, get the lifelines!" he yelled, gesturing at the hanging strands of rope by the mast and the sidelines. "Whoever launched the ship, get it into a stable position, thirty degrees fore and stick to your places!"

The thrill of adventure created a spark in him. This was it. They were flying.

Try to get over to the control area of the ship and search for any maps or locations of nearby significant areas.

Also, see if I can take over by making a request to the person in said area, if I find it. Regardless of such, search for any cargo hold for robotics or metallic supplies.

Spoiler: Sairi Lunaria (click to show/hide)

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 21, 2013, 10:22:25 am »

Oh great, it broke...no suprise there, the navy did like their fancy shinies that break when you even look wrong at them

Roland scratches his beard, thinking for a second. This thing will come in handy, sure, but too late. They'll be in the air and targeted before this thing can get working.

"Alright, I can't help with this contraption anyhow. You gentlemen try and fix this, or not, I'll go make meself useful."

Go back belowdeck and keep loading the cannons, alternating between sides so we have loaded cannons at both sides of the ship

Wwolin

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXTRA_BUTCHER_OBJECT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 22, 2013, 02:27:38 am »

"Aye, something's about to happen alright. But we'll be ready for it."

Protect Eunh and follow him to where he's going.
I meant we'd start stabbing the walls and floor for points and not just for science.

Tarangini

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a mandarin!
    • View Profile
Steam Ship Vicky - Lead Bullets and Punctured Air Hold. But No Worries.
« Reply #71 on: February 23, 2013, 09:23:22 am »

Well, I hope this old man ain't boring y'all. I'm doing my best.

How do the stats on the cards work? Well, mostly it's what it says there. If it's tinker, you're better at tinkering. If it says dismantle, you dismantle. Then again, things ain't constant. Sometimes you thought you tinkered but you actually dismantled. Don't mind it too much.

Doc [4+2] dredges up all his significantly non-significant knowledge of robots to put it back together. He isn't able to add an interface, because one, he doesn't have materials to work with, and two, the whole point of a firing droid is to have autonomous movement, not to have a rider controlling it. Humans just aren't quick enough or fast at making calculations. [4] Still, he makes sure to make the firing solution robot to have an open port in case he did get materials for an interface. It doesn't hurt to be prepared.

Luther [-] knows that it is the altitude gauge, because it says "Altitude" on the top, and has a unit of ticks. [6] Luther looks around for a bit, opens a cabinet or two, and what do you know? He's actually found a manual. He tries to decipher it. He fails. Didn't get much in the way of formal education on the finer workings of steam ships. Maybe the pilot boy, whatever his name was, might be able to tell him what it says. Or maybe Doc. Then again, the pilot boy probably already knows how to fly steam ships like the back of his hand.

Jameson watches Doc concentrate on the robot, running off what can only be pure instinct honed and polished over years of mad engineering. [6] He looks around uneasily, sorta lost.

Hey, why aren't you keeping track of your character card? I told you to hang on to it.

Eunh [2] doesn't quite know where it would be safe, but he goes down the ladder as fast as he can and under the deck.

And it happens. [5] vs [3] Small black objects rain down onto Vicky. 's like the heavens opened their gates. Got a bit bored with plain old rain, so decided, hey, let's go with lead. The men living down there like their lead. For a second like an eternity, Vicky sails between the bombs, then all holy hell erupts.

[5] vs [1] With a crash, the aft air tank is hit and starts depressurizing, air leaking out of it at a substantially faster rate than air is pumped into it by the dragger heart Vicky has. She struggles like a man holding a rope tied to an elephant falling off the steeper edge of a hill. She tries her best, but her aft starts dropping and drooping. She ain't no military vessel with redundant air holds and backup holds and fall-back holds. She ain't got no triple redundancy. She's just a steam ship past her prime.

[6] vs [3] More explosions pepper the deck, and many lead balls are embedded in Vicky's fine wooden planks. As good a ship as she is, without a pilot to lead her she isn't able to do anything.

A dull clang is heard throughout the ship. A dull clang that someone with experience might realize as the boiler taking a hit. Someone like...

Sairi yells as the ship shakes from the bombing. [6] Even with the absurd shaking, he manages to get to the pilot's room. He shoves Luther aside with a quick apology and starts flipping levers, pushing buttons, and steering. [6+1] He makes the ship stop supplying air to the aft air hold. He then kicks the boiler into overdrive, taxing it at the risk of explosion but knowing that they had little choice. Vicky stops her lazy ascent and instead accelerates horizontally while rising. Her back is still drooping, but nothing can be done about it from here. [4+1] Sairi is confident that they won't be hit as easily as they did just now.

Roland [4] heads towards the gun deck, wildly swinging his arms as the ship shakes from the attacks. He [1] botches loading the port broadside, but does prepare half of the starboard's broadsides. Perhaps he should go to the flak guns, since they're moving fast and under the other ship, which is also invisible and hard to aim at. It's the old shapeshifting scales, I say.

Oi, you keep your card around, too. I can't keep track of what you're good at and what you ain't if you don't have your card handy. Even if you were the best cannon operator the Queen's fine navy had.

Wwolin follows Eunh belowdecks, and not too soon, as leaden rain pebbles the first deck.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
Re: Steam Ship Vicky - Lead Bullets and Punctured Air Hold. But No Worries.
« Reply #72 on: February 23, 2013, 10:32:30 am »

((I love your writing style :D))

Pressing another button, Sairi's free hand went for the intercom, pressing his mouth near - but not touching - to keep it in the pitch he wanted it to be.

"I've got the ship under control Sorry Luther, as for everyone else, could you try to get to the engine room? The broiler room, to be exact! Shut off one of the valves connecting to our aft portion, the ship's rear!

"Re-route if possible, but we're strained here. If we can't get it stabilized in time, I fear we're going to have more worries than incoming bombs. Pressure. Turbulence. Hot steam."

Taking his cupped hand off the speaker (or more precisely, a tube which led to the piping system), he checked his vellum again and flipped to a page resembling a crudely drawn fox-person along with multiple, shining dots floating around. Labelled at the bottom of the page was a simple scribble. Childhood

'Ahh the joys of yonder days.'

Check altitude, any sense of dropping pressure, air tank regulation and if we've got any sensors for the bombers.

Also, examine my surroundings to get a better feel of the current room. The place where the helmsman stays.

Spoiler: Sairi Lunaria (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: February 23, 2013, 10:37:48 am by Tiruin »

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 23, 2013, 11:33:32 am »

Jameson realized that he wasn't needed where he was anymore and realized that with the ship going the speed it was they'd need more coal. He rushed to the engine room and started to put coal in the engine. It was hard work but someone was going to need to do it.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

TopHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 23, 2013, 11:46:08 am »

What was that fo- oh. Not good. Definitely not good. You can keep this thing flying whilst I head to the erm... Boiler? Is that right? I think it was. It's probably this way. I hope."
Try to find the boiler and twist dials until the ship no longer feels as if it's going to fall out of the sky soon

Spoiler: Luther Von Schankel (click to show/hide)
I would ask why fire can burn two men to death without getting hot enough to burn a book, but then I read "INEXTINGUISHABLE RUNNING KAMIKAZE RADIOACTIVE FLAMING ZOMBIE" and realized that logic, reason, and physics are all occupied with crying in the corner right now.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9