Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9

Author Topic: Steam Ship Vicky—Compensation Thrusters Optional  (Read 11435 times)

HmH

• Bay Watcher
  • Cage Trap Personified
    • View Profile
Re: Steam Ship Vicky - Setting Sail
« Reply #45 on: February 11, 2013, 08:45:23 am »

Doc watched Sai trip in the dark and fall onto a pile of broken wood as everyone else climbed on board of Victoria. The fox-man didn't seem to fancy getting up just yet and the rest of the group seemed to stand around waiting for something. Seeing this, Doc realized that he had to organize his fellow emissaries lest the whole situation gets significantly worse.

"Darn it, I told y'all not to run in the dark. I'm on it, now get to work!

"Roland, Arden, Eunh! You three make sure the cannons are manned and ready to take down that smoking ship the moment we go up!

"Jameson and Luther, go to the bridge! See if you can find out how the controls work and whether they can be automated, but don't try anything just yet! I and Sai will join you shortly!"

Retrieve Sairi from the wood pile and drag him to Victoria's bridge. Clean up and suture his wounds when we get there.

Spoiler: Doc Anderson (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: February 14, 2013, 09:20:56 am by HmH »

TopHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 11, 2013, 09:31:35 am »

"sounds like a good idea. I'm on it!"
Head to the bridge, try to figure out the controls.

Spoiler: Luther von Schankel (click to show/hide)
I would ask why fire can burn two men to death without getting hot enough to burn a book, but then I read "INEXTINGUISHABLE RUNNING KAMIKAZE RADIOACTIVE FLAMING ZOMBIE" and realized that logic, reason, and physics are all occupied with crying in the corner right now.

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 12, 2013, 01:07:52 am »

Eunh raises an eyebrow as the Doc talks, the young man already moving away from the scene and preparing to climb or ascend to a higher spot of Victoria's by sheathing his sword back into the scabbard.

He smiles broadly before answering the older man, tipping his top hat. "I'll politely refuse and move to a high spot to take a look at what the night sky has to offer. Excuse me, Doc."

Move to a high position the Victoria has to offer, try to identify what is happening in the darkening sky and prepare to inform the rest of the team about the developments.
Spoiler: Eunh Destern (click to show/hide)
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 12, 2013, 03:37:57 pm »

Roland smiles slightly "Ah, just like old times. Time to remember the navy training."

Get to the the cannons, make sure they're loaded and ready to fire upon the enemy

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: February 12, 2013, 05:22:39 pm by Pancaek »

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 12, 2013, 04:27:22 pm »

Jameson headed for the only place that he could be best in, the engines. Sure the other parts of the ship were good and useful, but engines were the most vital part of the ship. When he got there, he spoke into the message tube to the bridge. "Jameson here at the engines. What are your instructions?"
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

Wwolin

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXTRA_BUTCHER_OBJECT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 12, 2013, 07:39:04 pm »

"That scale ship... It would be a damned shame to let those scales just go to waste in a wreck. Maybe we can kill of the crew with some of my poisons, and then take the scales for ourselves? If we can move up alongside them, I could try to lob a gas bomb onto their deck..."

Help load the cannons, and then move up to the deck, readying my weapon.

« Last Edit: February 12, 2013, 07:48:52 pm by Wwolin »
I meant we'd start stabbing the walls and floor for points and not just for science.

Morelli

• Bay Watcher
  • Even numbers keep me sane.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 12, 2013, 11:56:12 pm »

Is there still room for another, or am I too late to the party?

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 14, 2013, 08:44:55 am »

((Apologies Tarangini for my lateness.

Also, Happy Valentines Day to all! :D))

Uhng...I should've said goodbye to the worker. Guess that's what I get for my impetuousness...

Sairi grimaced as he pulled himself out of the wood pile - hopeful that his cloak protected himself from most splinters and other wounds, lucky to only have just superficial marks.

He pulled his cloak around him, tightly so as to stifle any bleeding wounds and to protect against the miniscule pieces of shrapnel falling from the skies above.

"Professor! Tom! Over here!"

Get pulled to safety and help my rescuer. Scout out the drydocks for any useful material, like a grappling hook and try to get it as I'm being hauled.

Spoiler: Sairi Lunaria (click to show/hide)

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 15, 2013, 10:54:41 pm »

bump
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

Tarangini

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a mandarin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 16, 2013, 02:56:06 am »

Doc [3] tugs on Sairi and helps him to his feet. [4]+2 He uses his knowledge and looks him over, seeing that Sairi's cloak prevented any splinters from scratching him badly. Shouting out orders, he returns to Vicky's bridge.

Luther [6] locates the bridge just fine. He looks at the nobs and levers, the buttons and dials, the gauge and the big wheel in the middle. Truth be told, he ain't familiar with flying machines. He ain't rich enough to have his own, see. He reckons touching everything will do something, so he goes ahead and pushes all the pushbars to the top. He presses a good deal of the buttons, too, and gives the wheel a good spin.

He feels something start to hum, and watches a gauge labeled CORE PRESSURE slowly climb. Another gauge (MAIN AIR HOLD) sluggishly starts to turn, trembling towards 5. But the ship isn't going anywhere. [4] Closer examination of the buttons he pressed tells him that he activated a trio labeled AFT VENTS, MID VENTS, and FORE VENTS Perhaps they'd be used to depressurize the boilers in case of troubles.

Eunh [5] finds a small ladder, unfitting for a man of his stature. But it leads up, and up he wishes to go. It leads to a small observatory at the top of the ship, alongside the dormant chimney-doubling-as-a-mast. He looks around, picking up a pair of binoculars tied to the rails so that it won't fall and shatter.

[5] The ship he saw earlier isn't around. Maybe he just lost sight of it. Clear thing is, they've gotta watch their backs or find metal in it they don't want. The pirates are fleeing, but trying not to make it obvious that they are. Some are firing at the Queen's ships, some are slipping towards the open air, and some are crashing in flames.

Forgot to mention. Apex is one of the floating continents. It's got sea, sure, but it just happens the sea is a couple hundred ticks down. Like I said, Apex's between Second and Third oceans. It's one of the highest continents that's got civilized people like you and me. Any higher, and you get either barbarians, savages, or true wyverns. Plants grow better the higher you get, and some decide they ain't satisfied with livin' off the land. The moral of the story is, stay away from continents above the Third Ocean. There's a reason folks don't go there.

Eunh sees it, then, a flash of dying sun against untreated metal, coming from that-away. He looks that-away, and sees an orphaned cannon, reflecting the sun as it sails closer, and closer. Still very above Vicky, though, so if they were trying to use the cannon, they made a bad choice. On the other hand, if they got bombs...

Roland [2] runs to the cannons, and sees that they're all inside the ship. The hatches and ports are all closed, and he's not sure where he's going to find shot and powder. [3] His days as the top gunner of the Queen's navy were all with the help of a good firing team. Still, once, he was at the controls of a cannon personally, on a royal gunship. He finds the recessed door of the door to the storage, and he slides down the ladders to retrieve a single cannonball, the type he made.

6 Hatch up, load, push the cannon forward (It's quite the heavy one.)...

Jameson [1] goes to the engines. He speaks into the message tube, but he forgot to undamp it, and nothing is passed on to the bridge. He hears the boiler click, as the alchemical primer flame lights the fuel in it. He peeks in the window, and sees that there's little left.

Arden [2] realizes that he doesn't actually know how to load a cannonball. He never did, himself, just supervising other people who did know how to do it, but not how to handle the special concoctions he makes. He loiters, watching Roland expertly slide shot into one of the cannons, then he wanders to the deck, priming his weapon. One regular shot ready to be fired.

Spoiler: Morelli (click to show/hide)

Sairi [2] ignores the fact that the Victoria is trying to leave, and instead combs the drydocks. [5] He finds an old fisherman's string, thin, light, and strong; he finds a dock hook, heavy and reliable, and liberates it from the rope oppressing its freedom. He finds a big box, huge enough that three men have to lift it, marked NAVAL FIRING SOLUTIONS CLOCKWORK MECHANISM-CONTRAPTION in crude red stencil. Probably one of the navy robots, used to lend a helping mechanical paw when human resources ain't enough. It'd surely be useful, only if they can bring it on-board.

bump
Thanks for the nudge. This old man ain't dead yet. I still got time to serve on this good earth.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 17, 2013, 06:55:20 am »

"Argh, blast it-"

Sairi continued to tug on the new find before thinking about the Doc.

"Professor! Down here, the lot of you! Help me bring this aboard!"

Smooth move. Leaving the ship in the midst of a battle...

What could go wrong?

Request aid in bringing the firing solution container aboard, also watch for falling debris.

Examine the beautiful night sky.

Spoiler: Sairi Lunaria (click to show/hide)

TopHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 17, 2013, 07:02:00 am »

"nope, that's not it. Maybe something else?
De-activate the 'Vents' buttons. Look around the labels for ones that sound like they might get the ship started, and push them.

Spoiler: Luther von Schankel (click to show/hide)
I would ask why fire can burn two men to death without getting hot enough to burn a book, but then I read "INEXTINGUISHABLE RUNNING KAMIKAZE RADIOACTIVE FLAMING ZOMBIE" and realized that logic, reason, and physics are all occupied with crying in the corner right now.

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 17, 2013, 07:07:14 am »

"Oh what in the...that crate seems familiar somehow"

Get down and help Sairi bring the crate aboard, preferably belowdeck. Open the crate.

"this thing better prove useful"

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 17, 2013, 09:32:27 am »

"Oh." Eunh says before looking down. "Hey! I'm watching the skies and we may be getting bombed soon depending on the mood of the ship coming towards us. I'd advise you to do whatever you want to do, but do it fast!"

Eunh yells to his companions what he has seen then keeps scanning the sky.
Spoiler: Eunh Destern (click to show/hide)
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 17, 2013, 11:12:57 am »

"There's little fuel here. That isn't good. i better get some more, then report to the bridge."

Jameson searches for more fuel, then reports to the bridge.
Sigtext
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9