Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9

Author Topic: Steam Ship Vicky—Compensation Thrusters Optional  (Read 11437 times)

HmH

• Bay Watcher
  • Cage Trap Personified
    • View Profile
Re: Steam Ship Willy — 0.5
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2013, 03:36:47 pm »

@Pancaek, TopHat: I don't want to be pedantic, but I'd like to remind you that your characters are the best the kingdom has to offer, not the worst. They were chosen by the Queen herself, too. Therefore, it would be prudent of you to make sure that your characters' achievements contain at least one that the Queen would dare to acknowledge as a success rather than a reason to throw you in prison.

@Tarangini: I'd like to clarify something. Namely, the precise definitions of what blue and green stats are.
'Do Stuff Ability' refers to unique types of actions like 'Shoot Pistols Rapidly' or 'Perform Surgery', right?
Whereas 'Skills' refer to broad, but non-specialized areas like 'shooting pistols' and 'curing sicknesses'?
« Last Edit: February 02, 2013, 03:39:43 pm by HmH »

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2013, 04:15:21 pm »

@HmH: thanks for the pointers, and thanks for explaining the blue stats. So, do knives fall under swordsmanship?

TopHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2013, 04:22:44 pm »

HmH - thanks, modifying.
I would ask why fire can burn two men to death without getting hot enough to burn a book, but then I read "INEXTINGUISHABLE RUNNING KAMIKAZE RADIOACTIVE FLAMING ZOMBIE" and realized that logic, reason, and physics are all occupied with crying in the corner right now.

scapheap

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a good guy...girl. My horse just eat souls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2013, 04:25:50 pm »

Changed my sheet.
You were planning to have a 15 year old magical girl kill Witches by drinking them under the table!? It's original, at least.
Morpheus, a magic girls game

HmH

• Bay Watcher
  • Cage Trap Personified
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2013, 04:33:30 pm »

@HmH: thanks for the pointers, and thanks for explaining the blue stats. So, do knives fall under swordsmanship?
I'm not an authority on this, since I'm not the GM. However, this particular question is specific enough for me to assume that the GM doesn't know the answer either.
Therefore, since it's best to opt for generalization when thinking of skills for your game system, I would say that yes, any weapon with a long thin blade and a short handle that you chop and stab with may be considered a sword as far as its general application is concerned.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2013, 04:35:50 pm by HmH »

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2013, 04:36:32 pm »

No idea, since I'm not the GM, but I'm pretty sure the GM doesn't know either.
Therefore, since it's best to opt for generalization when thinking of skills for your game system, I would say that yes, any weapon with a long thin blade and a short handle that you chop and stab with may be considered a sword as far as its general application is concerned.

Well alrighty then. Thanks a lot for your help, I'm rather new at this.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2013, 09:27:22 pm »

Is it possible to join in?

Waitlist//In?

I didn't read the addendum so Working on this. Done.

Spoiler: Sheet! (click to show/hide)

Going to love this, Tangerine. :P
« Last Edit: February 04, 2013, 07:17:03 am by Tiruin »

TheZoomZoll

• Bay Watcher
  • Total Scumbag
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2013, 02:09:22 am »

I think I am just going to be watching this one instead of attempting to play it.

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2013, 07:45:03 am »

Sheet below this line of text.
Spoiler: Sheet (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: February 03, 2013, 09:16:27 am by Caellath »
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2013, 07:55:54 am »

Hmm.

We have:

> An Alchemist//Bodyguard
> A Professor//Doctor
> A Mechanical Engineer
> A Librarian//Marksman
> A Paranoid Tinkerer
> A Pyrotechnician//Demolitionist
> A Navigator//Pilot
> A Gambler//Swordsman

In that order. Since then, this means...wait, there was no mentioned player limit. XD

Anyway, bumping this for any more participants. ^^

Edit: scap, I think you're being too...short in your sheet. :/
« Last Edit: February 04, 2013, 07:57:31 am by Tiruin »

Tarangini

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a mandarin!
    • View Profile
Re: Steam Ship Willy — Willy?
« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2013, 08:23:51 am »

Spoiler: Pile of cards (click to show/hide)
Good. So your names are Arden, Tom, Jameson, ... eh, I'm sure you all know your names. There's seven of you. I guess the ship could spare room for another. She's a big one. Biggest in all of Apex City, maybe even the continent, 'cept for the huge Draggers some navies have. Don't mess with Draggers. They're the biggest, meanest airships ever made by man on this side of the world.

Now, Jack Ship... Your card ... just ain't up to scratch. Why not try for a bit more detail, and we'll see if it's a bit better.

So, where was I? Ah, right, seven (or maybe eight) great gentlemen on a quest to quite literally save the world. They rode on Steam Ship Willy. Willy's a ... erm, big ship. Big. Now, not as big as a Dragger, but still pretty big for a civilian transport. Wait, didn't I say that before? Hrrm.

She had...

Darnations, my memory must be going. Comes with the age, don't it? Gotta remind me what Willy was like. Won'tcha talk among you folks, and tell me what it was like. That's my good boys.

What was Steam Ship Willy like?

Name: Willy (Well, I guess you can choose the name. Don't have to, but it don't matter to me.)
Appearance?:

Parts: (choose one from each pair. Roll over to see a description.)
< Reinforced Boiler, Dragger Boiler >
< Slade Ballasts , Wyvernskin Hull >
< Extra Broadsides, Extra Engines > (Note: Willy already has flak cannons. Broadsides add large cannons.)
< Airborne Warehouse, Stratofortress >
< Red Speed Stripes, Quality Wood Finish >
« Last Edit: February 04, 2013, 08:51:08 am by Tarangini »

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 04, 2013, 08:56:52 am »

"Huh, Willy?" a light voice piped up, "From the rumors I heard, it was something along the lines of Victoria, or a name symbolizing a common belief."

It came from the cloaked man with a somewhat amusing- partly silly, pair of fox-ish ears.

"A Dragger Boiler salvaged from an intrepid explorer's vessel, coupled with a Wyvernskin Hull to be able to weave through the tradewinds. It was made for maneuverability, not so much though in sturdiness - going after the adage of not being hit than to take one and survive. Extra Engines were its forte," he looked at the rest of you as he spoke, quite casually for someone in a cloak. "of course, it had to carry enough for its crew, including any sort of material for the perils ahead, like an Airborne Warehouse.

"The most beautiful thing about it was the Quality Wood Finish. Made from the best trees the realm has to offer, though aesthetics were sacrificed, it was the structure in the end that made it worthwhile. A gleaming ship of wood, iron and steel bristling in the weathered winds. Many sailors and would-be-pirates mistook the strength for a slow deal, but were quick to realize their error when the ship danced circles around theirs. Sure, it was akin to the marine schooners of ancient time, but at least it had the quality and agility to keep up with a Dragger...if we aren't talking firepower."

He pauses before relaxing his composure.

"Though...I may be liable to err, does anyone have a better account of it?"
« Last Edit: February 04, 2013, 09:09:06 am by Tiruin »

HmH

• Bay Watcher
  • Cage Trap Personified
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 04, 2013, 10:48:16 am »

A fat, balding gentleman, his stare glued to a fancy clock on the office's wall, responded to the cloaked man without looking away from the object of his interest. He talked in a distant yet light-hearted tone that belonged to many retired scientists, his speech spiced up with a strong drawling accent:

"Kid's right, good ol' Vicky was one classy ship back in the day... what with her bein' the pride of the kingdom and all. Why, just ten, twenty years ago I was on board a'her fetchin' a ride from the Telowian Isles far in the south, an' she's had this Wood Finish so smooth and shiny, it was beyond words. Spent a while figurin' out what they polished her with, heh-heh.

"There was a Dragger Boiler and Wyvernskin Hull just as you described, but I haven't seen any wings or extra engines on her; I did, however, get a tour of the Extra Broadsides while checkin' the loadin' machines for malfunctions, and her biggest cannons were nothin' to laugh at. I clearly remember that the Warehouse had piles upon piles of cannonballs stocked inside; couldn't afford to run low on the primary currency in the Wild South, now could we?"

The gentleman went silent for a while. His leg clicked and whirred as he kept looking at the clock, muttering things like 'can't be, steam needs a heatin' element... compressed air?' and 'golden pipes? nah, looks more like a coating to me' under his breath. It wasn't long before he exhaled with satisfaction, his gaze wandering about in search of new things to stare at:

"Where was I? Ah, right, the ship. Well, as I was saying, that was a decade ago. I'm not sure Vicky - or Willy, as they may call her now - is even the same ship these days. I don't reckon any of you had seen Willy when she was already called that?"
« Last Edit: February 04, 2013, 10:54:40 am by HmH »

scapheap

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a good guy...girl. My horse just eat souls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 04, 2013, 12:20:48 pm »

Edited card, Tarangini.
You were planning to have a 15 year old magical girl kill Witches by drinking them under the table!? It's original, at least.
Morpheus, a magic girls game

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 04, 2013, 01:37:25 pm »

The man brought out a book from under his cloak and shifted far from the starting page, showing a draft of a concept of the Flying Steam Ship. It seems rather unfinished judging by the lack of space below it and had a lemon-like scent.

Spoiler: Picture (click to show/hide)
"This doesn't help however. Its too...vague, and lacking in specifics. Anyone else have an idea on how it looked like?"

"Erm, I'm known as Sairi by the way, you can call me Sai."
he said to the others in general.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2013, 11:02:54 pm by Tiruin »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9