Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 18

Author Topic: Working through Medieval stasis  (Read 31639 times)

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
Re: Working through Medieval stasis
« Reply #45 on: February 05, 2013, 09:03:12 pm »

its bugging me who the hell is your avatar?

Kohaku from Tsukihime.  I used her name and avatar when I first signed up because I was playing around with trying to mod in poisonous plants for reactions, and thought Kohaku was an appropriate avatar for such an endeavor.  (The character is best known for growing poisonous plants to use for paranoia-inducing drugs she used, along with the power of suggestion, to pit the several vampires and sorcerers that were way more powerful than herself against each other during the original plot... Hence the image of her with syringes full of scary drugs.)

I just sort of wound up keeping on using the name and got stuck as Kohaku around here.

Exclusive Research trees seem dull to me.

Seems dull to most everyone. 

Research trees generally don't add to the dimensions of a game's choices.  They may add choices, but they're rarely interesting choices - just a reflection of a choice you already made.  (That is, research trees are often just "give me more of the same thing I got along the line to this point" so that they wind up just binding you further and further into a single play method.)

Some sort of "emergent" technology, where you simply let the player discover for themselves how to use pumps and water and floodgates and mechanisms to make irrigation systems, rather than having a system where you buy upgrades with points, rewards players for understanding the mechanisms of the game, itself, and doesn't bog a player down with trying to count out what it will take for the next research level.

Meanwhile, pushing some sort of actual-but-invisible tech tree off onto the worldgen cities would allow for those worldgen cities to start having access to that tech that you gain, but where they just "learn from you" how to build their own cities.

Ultimately, if part of what is supposed to be part of the great fun of this game (that was supposed to make even Losing Fun,) is to see how your fortress influenced the rest of the world, having your irrigation system in your fort cause all your trading partners in the rest of the world to start adopting your irrigation systems or the crop rotation system you adopted or start taming the animals you tamed would be a sight to see.

*refuses to read 3 pages of text, and risks looking like a jerk.

I mean this in the gentlest way possible, but...

You know that it's a problem if you're going to post lengthy posts and not want to read other lengthy posts, right?  I mean, if others act the same way, it just winds up with everyone talking past one another, and nobody listening.  At worst, you're telling someone who agrees with you why they should agree with you.

Each race would have local imperitives that the others would not have, and as such, greater intrinsic needs to fill, which would get disproportional investments of resources. Humans would become traders, building sailing ships, and become physicians and apothicaries. Elves would become naturalists, sages, conservationists, and exquisite animal trainers. Dwarves would become engineers and architects, and masters of military strategy.

Why by race?

When have we, in the real world, ever tried to break ourselves up into making every race doing just one thing well?  (OK, Africans, you're the farmers, Asians, you do the metalworking, Caucasians, you're on carpentry and stoneworking duty!)

You're spreading things out into far too broad, and, honestly, too stereotyped a concept for trade.  (What happens to the dwarven doctors and animal trainers?  Why should all elves be the same?  What happens when there aren't any elves around, do the humans and dwarves just not domesticate any animals?) 

Rather than leaving it to racial stereotypes, wouldn't it be better to use the massive advantage that DF has in procedural content creation to create a system that allows each culture and each city-region to create its own specialties, based upon what its hinterlands can extract, what it can produce, and who it is trading with and in contact with so as to find out what, exactly, it's actual, specific necessities are, rather than just assuming all dwarves need the same thing?
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 05, 2013, 09:22:49 pm »

You have to remember that paper/parchment was not an inexpensive throw-away material like it is now, and was very expensive. This is why books/scrolls of the antiquarian world (greeks, romans, etruscans, and arabs, etc) were very very valuable, and why the destruction of the great library of alexandria was such a great loss. It would be equvalent to the whole global internet suddely imploding dystopian apochalypse style.

As such, such records are very likely to be the ONLY extant copies, literacy will be abysmally low, and most knowledge developed by lay craftspeople will NOT be recorded in them. Being told by a bean counter for the court that XYZ technique by ABC family of craftsmen existed is not sufficient to retain the knowledge of that technique, after that family either loses that knowledge through tradgedy, or is otherwise destroyed or the knowledge otherwise lost.  We know it existed, but know nothing else about it.

Most societies were not forward thinking enough to sponsor expensive scribes to go out and interview country bumpkins on their techniques and processes, and secret recipies for doing things, and so much of that is lost from history. Of those that were foward thinking enough to do it, the fact that the books created were jealously guarded, and that the interviewed populace was loathe to share, (guild secrets, family process secrets, et al.), and you still have a major problem in retention of informaton.  Information only began to flow after the invention of the printing press, (removing the need for scribe copiers), and after the industrial revolution made cheap paper possible. The major boom to information as an ubiquitous commodity came from completely divorcing the dead tree medium at the turn of this latest century. (Yay! I had a front row seat to the information revolution! *remembers repairing IBM 5150 XT class systems.... there we go! Knowedge in danger of being lost, right there!)

In a world where it requires raising a whole sheep to get a few leaves of parchment (parchment is **NOT** paper!) Building a book is a very expensive enterprise. Books will naturally be rare, simply from resource scarcity.

These are very important things to remember!

NW_Kohaku:

The reason on racial lines, is because of the racial alignment system toady implemented. Elves are not predisposed to ambition, for instance, where humans are.  As such, ambitious activities like crossing an ocean in a rickety boat is not something that is sensible for elven culture.

(As for not wanting to read 3 pages, I actually do have a job I am supposed to be doing, and the information I wall-o-texted was not intended to refute or support any argument except for the title of the thread. It isn't meant to be viewed as argumentative, just food for thought. If you find that to be personally offensive, I'm sorry, but most of the discussion I have seen on this current page (which I *DID* read, suggested that the discussion was not factoring globalist economics into the equation, and was focusing on trying to force the issue of why the world DF is set in doesn't have industrial revolutions, the discovery of radio, and the like, along the path of our modern world, and was further ignoring how our current track on industrial and technological innovation was GREATLY influenced by the loss and rediscovery of ancient ideas salvaged from the grips of oblivion, such as the scientific method durring the renaisance. 

Culture plays a humongously tremendous role in determining what technologies any given culture will develop, even when dealing with just a single species, like humans! Compare how the chinese discovered, then used gunpowder, against how europeans chose to use it for instance. (The chinese were researching eternal youth, and black powder arose from experiments built using their unique philosophy on medicinal substances!) Another, less well known one is the invention of the noodle. Marco Polo returned to europe with it. Europeas had never even CONSIDERED doing that with eggs and flour!

When you have races that are literally different species, and have very different needs, their culturus will by necessity ne VERY different, and the ways they will conduct themselves, and the ways they utilize knowledge will likewise be VERY different.  Like fireworks VS bombs and guns. Only far more profound.

As for when it has been done that way;  pretty much as long as humans have lived inpermanent settlements.  Seriously, research it!

Difference in geographical region will mean different available resources, and thus different local needs for the local social structure.  Eg, If the village is on a fertile grassland, they aren't going to be woodworkers! There won't be any trees!

As for "ok asians, you do X", we do that *right now*.  Ever seen where heavy industrially polluting maufacturing and processing gets done in the modern world?! Ever wonder why!? Economics baby! It's cheaper to outsource it someplace else, and china us willing to do it for cheap. It simply isn't economically feasible to do that work outside of asia now, as a result, and knowledge of eve HOW to do thoe things on big industrial scales is being lost domestically as a result.

This is actually *not* a "new" thing either, and is really just the logical conclusion of trade to begin with.  Take for instance, agricultural districts vs ports, vs mining towns, and the like. It's been this way since antiquity even! Ancient athens was an industrial trade center specializing in silver smithing! (The introduction of christianity, and its denouncement on owning or making idols, actually hastened athen's decline, by destroying its major industry!)

As long as the civs engage in trade, and have different local resources, different cultures, and different philosophical alignments, then they will each progress in different directons, no matter how strongly you personally may feel about it. The evidence for that is staggeringly overwhelming.

« Last Edit: February 05, 2013, 09:46:00 pm by wierd »

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 05, 2013, 09:51:53 pm »

A little something pertinent to add to the discussion, as relating to Kohaku's question:

"Others", and how they relate to knowledge, its adoption, and use.

By attempting interject what is essentially *our* cultural biases on the world being discussed, (views on racial segregationism, as kohaku criticised, for instance) we deny the objective reality of that world. I was pointing out what empirically "happens" with interacting cultures, (especially between clearcut "others" who can *never* be "sames", because of arbitrary restrictions on the world's literary structure) meet and trade ideas. Each culture in isolation views itself to be the dominant and superior culture. Thus, the elves will "arrogantly" assume the mantle of preserving long term order and stability, weather the humans and dwarves appreciate it or not, because it is what is fundementally necessary for the survival of the elven culture. 

Essentially, what I am getting at here, is that racism is real, covering it up to suit the foibles of our civ does nothing to improve the realism or accuracy of a civilization model, and therefor PCism should be either ejected wholesale, or kept to very tiny minimums, because they fundementally obscure and break objectivity.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2013, 10:02:54 pm by wierd »

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 05, 2013, 10:03:33 pm »

Possibly, but the fact that you can stop world gen at year one, start your own fort, and know from the start how to smelt copper, iron, and steel when it took thousands of years of innovation to start with is rather grating.
I hate this fallacy. The world did not necessarily start in Year 1 of Worldgen, and even if it did the inhabitants certainly did not start with nothing.

America won the space race because the winner wasn't the first person to reach anything... it was the first person to be able to proclaim unquestioned supperiority over the other.
I'd say it's more that the US "won" because they were the last to quit. Out of two notable players.
The collapse of the USSR helped, too.

Lies My Teacher Told Me is about the dangers of "heroification" and the Great Man Theory, (which Guns, Germs and Steel also shoots down, but less directly,) where the narrative of history is told as though a few "Great Men" shepherded and shaped their cultures into what they are, rather than their cultures creating them.
Debt: The First 5,000 Years is a book about economic anthropology, and how the concept of money and trade, especially as a social relation, evolved through society, and how many of our concepts of money (as an independent object of worth) are wrong.
If your skull isn't bleeding after reading all that, then there's plenty more on the topic to choose from...
I now have two new books to add to my reading list, after I finish The World Until Yesterday and rereading the Inheritance Cycle. Assuming I can find them at the library, of course.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 05, 2013, 10:22:35 pm »

Culture plays a humongously tremendous role in determining what technologies any given culture will develop, even when dealing with just a single species, like humans!

As for "ok asians, you do X", we do that *right now*.  Ever seen where heavy industrially polluting maufacturing and processing gets done in the modern world?! Ever wonder why!? Economics baby! It's cheaper to outsource it someplace else, and china us willing to do it for cheap. It simply isn't economically feasible to do that work outside of asia now, as a result, and knowledge of eve HOW to do thoe things on big industrial scales is being lost domestically as a result.

Here's the thing:
Culture != Race.

Race does not determine culture, especially since the whole point of what we are talking about is ways to make procedural changes to a culture result in changes to technology.

Besides which, what you're talking about is grossly overgeneralizing a massive portion of the planet and grossly oversimplifying tremendously complex social changes.

We do not just leave all technological development to all Asians.  The Germans are not the same people as the French or the Italians or British.  The Japanese aren't Chinese or Korean or Taiwanese. You can't just use race as the single determining characteristic of culture or one's prowess.  (In fact, such generalizations are pretty much definitionally racism.)

To say that all dwarves must always be the same is stunting DF's capacity to progress, and it's fortunately quite outside Toady's vision for the game.

As for "economics", you can't just throw down that word as if it explains everything.  It's completely ignoring why Chinese labor is cheaper than European or American labor (or even Japanese labor, which is, incidentally, also Asian).  You know what other labor is cheap? African laborers live on very low wages, as well.  Yet Africa doesn't have the massively booming economy that Southeast Asia has just because they have cheap labor.  There's reasons for this, and it has nothing to do with just plain race.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 05, 2013, 10:28:56 pm »

Well in this case Kohaku race does determine culture. Given that Elves, Goblins, Dwarves, and Humans have dramatically different biological needs and abilities and in the Goblins case they lack an absolutely fundemental biological function required for a society to exist as far as humans are concerned.

Meaning that Goblins have an outright alien society.

Elves share communication with nature itself and actually have absolutely nothing to fear from wildlife.

And Dwarves are a pressure sensitive race giving it a tendency not to migrate.

As for "economics", you can't just throw down that word as if it explains everything

The issue is that Economics only knows a LITTLE about how human exchange works and always tries to quantify it into cash or resources but doesn't understand the metaphysical because it cannot. Someone who lives purely by economics is a psychopath.

It is why some Economists are always trying to introduce additional systems of value.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 05, 2013, 10:31:35 pm »

Oh I agree, but you also have to accept that any model chosen will have to, by necessity, not be perfect, and have its generalizations.  The alignments of races in particular, for instance.  It isn't something that can be consistent to get goblins to be green skinned terrorists, if you permit deviation from their ethnic alignment en masse, for instance.  You would end up with a world that doesn't follow the fantasy trope that is artificially assigned, which is very clearly what toady intends. You would end up wit pacifist goblins, geocidal elves, and the whole gamut of possible interaction, essentially negating any ethnic idenities of those races.

Remember when goblins were pacifists during the early .31 builds, and all the complaints about it? Opening that pandora's box would make a lot of players very mad, just to suit a PC foible you are fostering about racism, and there would be no simple fix for it either.

Implementing this feature in a fashion that won't break expected gameplay, and only enhance it, requires some level of racism.  It cant be helped.

(Also, did you even READ the link?)

Neonivek:

The psychopathy inherent in economics in regard to cultural value is precisely the reason why I provided the link above. Every culture views itself as superior in some fashion, and acts in varying levels of psychopathic tendencies to the ideas and knowledge of other cultural groups. Take for instance, dwarves considering elves to be rediculous about worshiping trees. The dwarves are VERY opinionated on the matter, but then again, so are the elves!  The relationships between cultures are NEVER 1:1 value exchanges. They are *always* perversions, colored by the recipient culture's biases.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2013, 10:36:22 pm by wierd »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 05, 2013, 10:33:54 pm »

Goblins are sort of what happens when you have a race of beings who survive purely on logic and instinct but who are illogical and self-destructive.

It is why their leadership quirk is so important to their survival.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 05, 2013, 11:18:14 pm »

Answering the OP thread starter's questions, in light of my objections above:

I believe elves should start essentially naked, but immortal, and immune to disease, just as they are now. They should have to learn about animals and plants just like other races, but as toady's stories suggest, they don't do so without the tutelary influence of "nature spirits", owing to their quasi-metaphysical nature.  Their culture is therefore immediately contaminated from the beginning of worldgen, and while they learn some things on their own, they learn most of their philosophy from instruction. This makes them predictable, and in line with the toad and 3-toe stories. It also means that elves are instructed in language, where others have to develop one.

Humans should also start naked, out on the savannahs. They should learn to be adventurous and ambitious, due to the demands of living in their habitat. They should learn about prarie crops the hard way, and later, come into contact with elves.  Humans can learn the concept of language by watching elves, and elves will slowly discover that humans are sentient like themselves. I would expect human cultures that encounter elves early to be greatly influenced by them, but also reserve the option that humans will not come into such contact until much later.

Goblins should evolve in naturally "evil" locations, and develop their particular blend of independence and collectivism, with their unique brand of morality, through learning to deal with suc things as killer rain, huskifying dust, the living undead, and the harsh realities of existence on an evil biome.  As such, they should be equipped to handle such things to survive worldgen, at the very least.  They should probably be the first ones to discover the secrets of life and death, and be capricious about its use.  Evil biomes often neighbor grasslands, forests, and mountains, (by design), so they should come into contact with, and quickly develop animosities with dwarves, elves, and humans.  The goblins should see the richer, easier environments of those races with envy, or avarice, and seek them for their own survival. As a consequence, they discover war, and conquest early.

Dwarves should start underground in the cavern systems of the world, and learn about underground plants and biomes, as the only sentient species early in worldgen, other than dangerus cavern fauna and dangerous cavern-native creatures, like trolls, troglydites, FBs, rutherers, cave crocodiles, and the like. Fighting these off should be the start of dwarves learning wrestling, and martial arts, and learning about minerology comes from pure food gathering and learning cultivation the hard way.  I think dwarves should appear in worldgen after human and elven populations have been going about their lives for quite some time, since dwarves need to dig their way out of the caverns, and discover the surface world.  This would ironically explain the "were did all this tech on year 1 come from!?" Problem. Year 1 is therefor, the year that dwarves arrive on the surface world as a "new" race.

Dwarves should probably come into contact with goblins ad or, humans first. Goblins being hardened by life in evil biomes, being able to handle cavern lifeforms better than others, and driven by an innate need to leave the evil biomes that spawn them for more reliable food supplies. This would explain their usual "domestication" (ahem) of trolls and troglydites, and the eternal hatred dwarves have for them.

Just by contrlling civ and biome placement, this basic set of narrative beginnings can be pretty reliable during worldgen. Long worldgens should simulate cultural and trade interactions between civs and races, with assmilation and gaffes causing wars and changing trends in culture, based on a set of needs required by each civ through location, and traits defined by race.  This way the individual races will progress down mostly predictable paths, but still holding the major benefits of the RNG proceedural generation.  It means that older worlds would be more likely to have cultures colored by long trade associations and hatreds, and thus have dwarves with human cooking influences, humans with concrete tech, the occasional bunch of goblin farmers, and elves with metal weapons, depending on the particulars of the generated world.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 05, 2013, 11:20:58 pm »

Yes, I read the link about the Other. 

The thing is, you're completely missing the point.  (Both what I have said, and also, apparently, the point of the thing you just linked to, since what you're arguing flies in the face of what it says.  Did YOU read it? It's saying how belief in how race shapes culture is inherently distorting how one looks at history... which is exactly what you're trying to apply.)

I don't particularly care why you think racism is fashionable all of a sudden, but that's completely beside the point of what I'm talking about.

We're talking about ways to make culture change procedurally. Making race the sole determinant of culture is inherently contrary to the goals of this thread.  You're trying to talk about culture while at the same time trying to bind it entirely with race. 

Definitionally, in order for procedural cultural changes to take place, it means that the binding of all dwarves being the same has to be loosened.  Some dwarves are going to have to specialize in skills and arts that are totally different from other dwarves.  Otherwise, there's no point.

Not only does this mean that there might be pacifist goblins, but they still exist in the game.  Just create a world where goblins are assimilated into a human culture right now - there's going to be tons of them in the human civilization, and they're going to be thriving.

Strictly enforcing Planet of the Hats race stereotypes undermines the whole capacity of the game to actually simulate cause and effect as it pertains to culture or technology or ideas, and that's one of the game's greatest strengths.

Why even bother talking about change or culture or simulation if you want to keep them black-and-white and isolated? These things only matter to a simulation in as far as the lines blur and interactions cause changes in both cultures, and the cultures that interact with those other cultures, as well.

You can't look at late Medieval European history as something totally separate and distinct from the Muslim world, there's changes brought about by the influence of other cultures, and if you want to make a simulation, you have to recognize these things.

As for "economics", you can't just throw down that word as if it explains everything

The issue is that Economics only knows a LITTLE about how human exchange works and always tries to quantify it into cash or resources but doesn't understand the metaphysical because it cannot. Someone who lives purely by economics is a psychopath.

It is why some Economists are always trying to introduce additional systems of value.

No, that's not what I'm talking about, either.

I'm saying that you can't just say "economics" and act like it explains anything.

"Why is China rising to prominence as an economic superpower?" "Economics!"

"Why is Europe falling behind?" "Economics!"

"What is the cause of Detroit once being a massive engine of economic power, but now being a destitute wasteland of unemployment?" "Economics!"

Economics is a broad and very complex topic, and just saying the word doesn't explain jack shit.

Once again, Africa has cheap labor, just like Southeast Asia.  Can you explain the Economics! of why that doesn't mean Africa is a superpower in high technology?

The problem is that we're trying to talk about the hows and whys of the rise and fall of civilization, and simply saying "Asians make things because economics!" is incredibly unhelpful and frustrating because we're just reducing the whole conversation to spouting jargon and buzzwords.

If you aren't conveying meaning when you are talking about something, helping someone to get to a deeper understanding of the subject matter, you're doing nothing but spouting noise.  Nothing of value gets discussed at that level.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 06, 2013, 12:02:48 am »

Yes, I read the link about the Other. 

The thing is, you're completely missing the point.  (Both what I have said, and also, apparently, the point of the thing you just linked to, since what you're arguing flies in the face of what it says.  Did YOU read it? It's saying how belief in how race shapes culture is inherently distorting how one looks at history... which is exactly what you're trying to apply.)

No Kotaku, try again.  Here, I'll help you:

The concept of "the other" is implicit. It is the opposite of "the self". Each person equates with people that person views as being "like the self". Eg, Humans will equate and understand other humas more than elves, because elves can never be human, and humans can never be elves. Elves aren't just another kind of person, they are a kind of person with traits humans can never have, and their place in literature is there to contrast what it means to be human, by NOT being human.  The article points out that the ways that humans, being non-elves, will distort the reality of what elves are and represent, through their own cultural lense.

I don't particularly care why you think racism is fashionable all of a sudden, but that's completely beside the point of what I'm talking about.

Good grief Kotaku, give the "racisism is bad! My culture says so, and my culture is right! No, I am TOTALLY NOT injecting my own bias here, its a fundemental axiom!" Angle a rest here, pull away, and look at how your fundemental approach and line of argument is exactly what the linked article is warning against.

I am NOT advocating racism. I am saying it is real, and exists, and that your denouncement of it is a clouding of cultural waters.

We're talking about ways to make culture change procedurally. Making race the sole determinant of culture is inherently contrary to the goals of this thread.  You're trying to talk about culture while at the same time trying to bind it entirely with race. 

And YOU are trying to negate any and all implication that racial identity would have on culture, by saying it is too general! Under your paradigm, elves are just humans with pointy ears!

Definitionally, in order for procedural cultural changes to take place, it means that the binding of all dwarves being the same has to be loosened.  Some dwarves are going to have to specialize in skills and arts that are totally different from other dwarves.  Otherwise, there's no point.

And without hard setting racial influences on dwarves, you again make them no different from any other species, again betraying your intrinsic bias. Again. I am not saying all dwarves should end up the same. I am saying that dwarves are different from humans, fundementally, and should react to situations and stimuli differently.

Not only does this mean that there might be pacifist goblins, but they still exist in the game.  Just create a world where goblins are assimilated into a human culture right now - there's going to be tons of them in the human civilization, and they're going to be thriving.

Yes, and they will be a minority, constantly fighting their innate nature. Eg, anomalies.

Strictly enforcing Planet of the Hats race stereotypes undermines the whole capacity of the game to actually simulate cause and effect as it pertains to culture or technology or ideas, and that's one of the game's greatest strengths.

And again, making them all McHumans, Now with BEARDS!(tm) and Pointy-Ears!(tm), by making all the different races share the same mechanic, makes then fundementally boring.

Why even bother talking about change or culture or simulation if you want to keep them black-and-white and isolated? These things only matter to a simulation in as far as the lines blur and interactions cause changes in both cultures, and the cultures that interact with those other cultures, as well.

I didn't say I wanted them to beblack and white. I said I wanted the directions their cultures to progress down to be appropriate to their biological imperitives. Why would an elf, who doesn't get sick ever, study medicine, for instance?

You can't look at late Medieval European history as something totally separate and distinct from the Muslim world, there's changes brought about by the influence of other cultures, and if you want to make a simulation, you have to recognize these things.

But in all instances of extant human civs, all the civs were humans, and shared human ambitions, and followed decidedly human qualities. Leaders rose to power, people fought over resources, and sought out ways to become the strong man. While the specifics of the cultures are different, they are all decidedly HUMAN cultures. What you seem unable to comprehend is that the paths elven cultures would go down would be INSANELY different from ANY human civ! I am not saying all humas have to be McHumanCiv. I am saying human civs should be HUMAN civs. VERY different beast! At this point I am beginning to question your objectivity and reading skills...

No, that's not what I'm talking about, either.

I'm saying that you can't just say "economics" and act like it explains anything.

"Why is China rising to prominence as an economic superpower?" "Economics!"

"Why is Europe falling behind?" "Economics!"

"What is the cause of Detroit once being a massive engine of economic power, but now being a destitute wasteland of unemployment?" "Economics!"

Economics is a broad and very complex topic, and just saying the word doesn't explain jack shit.

Once again, Africa has cheap labor, just like Southeast Asia.  Can you explain the Economics! of why that doesn't mean Africa is a superpower in high technology?

The problem is that we're trying to talk about the hows and whys of the rise and fall of civilization, and simply saying "Asians make things because economics!" is incredibly unhelpful and frustrating because we're just reducing the whole conversation to spouting jargon and buzzwords.

If you aren't conveying meaning when you are talking about something, helping someone to get to a deeper understanding of the subject matter, you're doing nothing but spouting noise.  Nothing of value gets discussed at that level.

The reason is that the instability of the region makes the investment of infrastructure hazardous, and I have a counter example to yours.

The city of Gabarone, the capital of Botswana.

The city of Gabarone is experiencing fantastical economic and financial growth, as many major tech firms seek to capitalize on its relative political stability and low cost of employment. Many noteworthy firms, like seimens, cisco, microsoft, and pals have HEAVILY invested into the city's development.

So again, yes, 'economics!'

Specifically, the arbitrary association of value with a commodity or service, based on scarcity, and in this case, the subset of that discipline known as globalism, itself characterized by the efficient employment of trade networks for the benefit of the trading partners, as a means of increasing the standard of living by overcoming scarcity.

Eg, why you can buy strawberries out of season, and do so affordably.

In the specific light of the arguments that started this derailment:

It costs a fixed amount of resources to train a stone mason. They have to eat, they need a place to sleep, what they build at first will be of dubious quality, so yu have to sink development costs into their progression, and all that time, they could be doing work for you doing something they are moe knowledgeable or adept at-- this last is especially poingant, when discussing te training of a stone mason in an area devoid of local stone, like a savanah.

Contrast with the costs of sending for, and hiring an already trained stone mason, from an area with a surplus of stone, and a wealth of stone buildings that must be continually repaired.

The cost of hiring the stonemason, in the case of the savannah dwellers, is considerably lower! It does not make any financial sense to train a stonemason, when you can hire a competent one for a tiny fraction of the price.  The savannah dwellers get all the benefits of a stone specialist culture, without paying anywhere close to the price. 

The establishment of the trade connection allowing this hired service to be possible, is a trade network. The rise and fall of these networks is known as globalization, and the equitale exchange of goods for services over these networks is called economics.

Much like you most likely do not sew up your own clothing, but instead buy them from a store, because it is less expensive in resources (especially time), and thus are unlikely to have specialist knowledge of tailoring clothing, a network of friendly civilizations will naturally compartmentalize knowledge, because it is not financially reasonable to mass replicate.

The exceptions to this will be in cases where the costs of doing business exceed the cost savings of doing business, making the development and retention of an industrial skill valuable.

Because of this, if the skill is in very high demand, there will be local artisans to meet that demand. Otherwise, if that artisinal skill can be obtained for trade, and demand is low, there won't be.  Again, the study of relationships and trades over these networks, is called 'economics'.

« Last Edit: February 06, 2013, 12:41:28 am by wierd »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 06, 2013, 01:25:29 am »

No, that's not what I'm talking about, either

I know, I just felt it added something to the conversation.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 06, 2013, 01:35:23 am »

[For the record, I actually hate tit for tat arguments. It's childish. But looking the other way while PC homogenization steamrolls over racial identities when discussing cultures and their development goes against my principles, and unproductive arguments over not slavishly explaining a complex term, to a person who clearly already understands that term, is just plain offensive.  I apologize for being such a douche over it all the same though.]
« Last Edit: February 06, 2013, 01:37:22 am by wierd »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 06, 2013, 01:42:12 am »

One could always just cut off discussions and go to features inspired by these discussions.

Arguements in the suggestion forum should be treated as aggressive brainstorming.

As for racism remember that there is passive and active racism.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 06, 2013, 02:57:02 am »

I understand that. 

My objection to PC homogenization via integration, is that it is destructive to the cultures and racial identities that get integrated. A harsh comparison would be the borg collective from startrek: literally, everyone *IS* equal in the collective (except the queen, but she is an emergent property, which is why she doesn't stay dead, but I digress..), and as far as they are concerned, everyone is better off by being stripped of their cultural and species's unique identities. There is no inner strife in the collective, no hatred, no rivalry. There is only unity, and common purpose. The joy of working for a common goal. It's an extreme manifestation of PC homogenization, and is rightfully terrifying.

The very notion implies that all other unique cultures are inferior, which is why they must be homogenized, and integrated.  This is implicit racism, and nationalism. The US is really terrible about this, and honestly, most americans simply don't understand why their attepts and including others makes the world so angry. Much the same way the Borg collective does not comprehend the pernicious resistence it encounters.

By saying that I am against this homogenization, I am renouncing the idea that they even need such integration and imposed implied uniformity. They are all equally valid viewpoints, unique to their makeup, and are best as they are. As far as I can tell, this is as antibiased as is humanly possible.

Taking this road leads to uncomfortable situations.

For isntance, one civilization may make flagrant use of slave labor. The ancient egyptians for instance. By renouncing any single civ as an ideal to measure against, you can't make a value assessment about that slavery. Instead, all you really CAN do is ask if it worked out for them or not. In the case of the egyptians, it did.  In the case of the united states, it didn't. That's all you really can do. Injecting a bias about it makes you fall into the trap.

The position I frame my argument from, is that each race is literally a different species, with very different psychological makeup underneath. They are not all "just different types of people", because "people" is a biased descriptor. To the goblins, other races my not be people at all, just animals, for instance. A human, like you or I, asserting that beings that are certainly not like us, are "people", ascribes a false equivilency. They are all intelligent actors, but how they react and behave to stimuli is going to be different, because they do not share the same intrinsic needs.

I am not injecting any value bias by saying that elves, dwarves, goblins, or sentient beast creatures are "not human", that itself is a very human misconception. I am instead arguing that you can't think about how they will react to things in human terms.

This is a world where "others" exist. The only ones that can understand what it means to be "human" with authority are humans. Likewise, only a elf can truely know what it means to be an elf. Or a dwarf, to know what it means to be dwarven. As much as we might wish it, we, as humans cannot know what it means to be those races. We are not elves, nor dwarves. We ascribe to them features that are not human, to understand ourselves, because that is the best we are capable of doing. (See the linked portion about intrinsic coloration of understanding I provided earlier.)  I am not ascribing a racial preference or predjudice. I am arguing against intrinsic predjudice, from which the homogenization imperitive come into being.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 18