Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 18

Author Topic: Working through Medieval stasis  (Read 31644 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Working through Medieval stasis
« Reply #30 on: February 05, 2013, 12:14:48 pm »

As well I will say that because this is a game based off of myth and legend as well as epic storytelling.

I'd think a society should have a larger collective pool of knowledge and technology not being used... then it has it being used.

So if you were to go to, lets say, a library you might find a book on herbal remedies that no one knows about because the knowledge was lost yet the record still exists.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 05, 2013, 12:48:57 pm »

There's also the whole mythic meme of "lost technology", let's not forget.

It's especially prevalent in Chinese and Japanese stories - some sort of mythic weapon that was created with a technology long since lost as the Great Empire fell.  (Basically every Final Fantasy has a reference to some great fallen civilization, for starters, and the airships and steampunk elements typically come from it.)  Even when it's not steampunk tech, you'll still see things like the sword in Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon which is explicitly better than all the other swords because it was made with a lost technique...

Well, this topic has blown my mind. I have to say, I've never thought about technological progress in that way before.

If you're interested...

Guns Germs and Steel is the natural place to start - about why Eurasia was the continent that formed all the world-spanning empires, and why Africa, especially, with it's cultural head-start wound up being the conquered, rather than the conquerers.  This is apparently some free online documentary about it.

Lies My Teacher Told Me is about the dangers of "heroification" and the Great Man Theory, (which Guns, Germs and Steel also shoots down, but less directly,) where the narrative of history is told as though a few "Great Men" shepherded and shaped their cultures into what they are, rather than their cultures creating them.

Debt: The First 5,000 Years is a book about economic anthropology, and how the concept of money and trade, especially as a social relation, evolved through society, and how many of our concepts of money (as an independent object of worth) are wrong.

If your skull isn't bleeding after reading all that, then there's plenty more on the topic to choose from...
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

kerlc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 05, 2013, 12:59:10 pm »

Well, this topic has blown my mind. I have to say, I've never thought about technological progress in that way before.

If you're interested...

Guns Germs and Steel is the natural place to start - about why Eurasia was the continent that formed all the world-spanning empires, and why Africa, especially, with it's cultural head-start wound up being the conquered, rather than the conquerers.  This is apparently some free online documentary about it.

Lies My Teacher Told Me is about the dangers of "heroification" and the Great Man Theory, (which Guns, Germs and Steel also shoots down, but less directly,) where the narrative of history is told as though a few "Great Men" shepherded and shaped their cultures into what they are, rather than their cultures creating them.

Debt: The First 5,000 Years is a book about economic anthropology, and how the concept of money and trade, especially as a social relation, evolved through society, and how many of our concepts of money (as an independent object of worth) are wrong.

If your skull isn't bleeding after reading all that, then there's plenty more on the topic to choose from...
Thank you for those interesting links which I shall study immediately. Okay, maybe i'll skip the "Lies My Teacher Told Me" since my teacher despises the Great Man Theory and likes to shoot it down as often as she can. History classes are quite interesting when she's discrediting "The Greatness of *insert great king name here*" arguments most of my schoolmates bring up.  :P

As well I will say that because this is a game based off of myth and legend as well as epic storytelling.

I'd think a society should have a larger collective pool of knowledge and technology not being used... then it has it being used.

So if you were to go to, lets say, a library you might find a book on herbal remedies that no one knows about because the knowledge was lost yet the record still exists.
This sounds like an incredibly good idea, and would probably bring a lot more value to various books. It'd actually make them useful for something other than just learning necromancy with your adventurer.

King Mir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 05, 2013, 02:53:43 pm »

You don't need libraries to contain lost arts, they just need to teach stuff. that's a rather different mechanic than technological innovation.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 05, 2013, 03:03:08 pm »

Well, anyway, since I went to the trouble of disrupting this thread's line of discussion, I might as well put it back on a proper track...

At a basic level, I think the concept of technology is better-suited to worldgen cities than to the Fortress, itself.

There, production bonuses make far more sense, since all you have to really do is make that city produce more of a given type of product that can then be traded to your fortress.  (I.E. a breakthrough in farming means more food, more population, and more craftsman off the farm that can produce goods for trade.)

Further, it's fairly natural for a fortress to basically be inventing the techniques through emergent gameplay, rather than overt declarations that you just got a +5 to food production.  (Something that answers some of King Mir's concerns.)

For example, in an old thread on this topic, someone mentioned the technological innovations of farming of the Arabs... but what they innovated was largely public works projects like giant irrigation systems - something players can do if they want whenever they want.  They're just "inventing it" whenever they decide to devote themselves to doing it.  Same with the Romans - aside from concrete and maybe the arch, what did the Romans really invent about their architecture?  Their massive public works projects were more a matter of having the infrastructure to actually do things like building extremely well-engineered roads and bridges and aquaducts, not that nobody had ever thought of concepts like pipes before.  (Athens was built with plumbing, for one...)

Technology is often less a breakthrough, and more just a realization of how you can do more with an idea you already possess when you simply use that technology more.  Dhokarena56 sent me a link to this blog post recently, which had this passage that really grabbed me:
Jacobs mentions a settlement where her aunt was sent as a missionary. The aunt wanted to build a church from the large stones found in the riverbed; but the locals patiently explained that this was impossible. As everyone knew, mortar could only hold small stones; and even those could only be used for small structures like chimneys, certainly not a whole wall. This was not the Third World; this was 1930s North Carolina, and the people were descendants of people with a long tradition of stonemasonry.

To go back to what I said earlier, the basic technologies of glass-blowing and ceramics existed as long as civilization did (predating writing) but the technology to make porcelain was frequently lost. 

The problem is that few things in the game really have any capacity to make sense of

For notions like technological advancement to make sense, what you need is a system where a society has an invisible level that the game tracks for how much some civilization uses the specific root technologies. 

Porcelain was difficult high technology that came out of the existence of kaoline deposits in china for one, but also their extreme high-temperature furnaces (hotter than a magma forge is in-game) and the box fans that blew in concentrated air to burn the fires hotter devised thanks to their advances in metallurgy, as well as the fact that they could simply afford the people sent out to clear-cut forests for the charcoal it took to burn those furnaces so incredibly hot.  (The technology was frequently lost when China simply couldn't continue to clear-cut forests to feed the fires anymore, often either because of deforestation or a need to send more peasants back to farming.)

However, the constant desire to get wealthy trading those goods kept them going back to re-learning the skills.

In order to represent this with worldgen cities, I think one of the best ways is to both track the overall number of skill ranks of every artisan in that city region (cumulative, not average) and use that as a means of unlocking different "levels of progress".  Each new artisan of the same job would then start out with a bonus of extra skill ranks as the city became more specialized in how that city produced specific goods - they teach new artisans more about the craft, and it springs them on to become better artisans, themselves. 

The more they trade things from that industry, the more of a bonus they get to this, encouraging more and more people to take up that craft, which further adds to their cumulative bonus to that technology.  Eventually, a large portion of a city will be of a specific city specialty and they will all be masters from the instant they start their craft. 

This can also influence Fortress Mode trade partners as well as migrants.

This can manifest as not just increased quality of goods, but also a flood more goods of that type.  (More metal from dwarves, tamed animals from elves, etc.) They also could come bearing larger caravans in general being capable of bringing back more of your trade crap. 

On Fortress-discoverables:

Things like steel, which I still believe there should be multiple quality gradients of iron below Fine Dwarven Steel, so that not all human iron is crap, can be something that is "discovered" through simply upping your own use of a given technology sufficiently. 

That is, no waiting for some miraculous RNG blessing to give you something - if you just make ordinary steel in great enough quantity, and have legendary smiths, you get the technique for a slightly improved version of the metal.  You earn it yourself.

Your fortress/city is its own driver of its own technology.  You invent things through your own actions, rather than waiting for a gift from the Random Number God or spending points on a tech tree.

Thinking about it, this ties in very well with Class Warfare.  In that suggestion, it expands on the way in which you gain nobles through player actions, including recreating guilds through use of a given trade in your fort - guilds can also bring with them advances in functions to old technologies, or additions of new reactions or workshops. 

For example, vitreous enamel goods, such as, on the extreme end, the Faberge eggs could be near-artifact level examples of high-end development of a specific line of artisanry.  Porcelain might require a mechanism-based air pump kiln and additional fuel, helping make it even more of a rarity.  Porcelain isn't just stoneware with a rarer base resource and a slightly higher value multiplier, it's a top-tier crafting material.  These can be "end-game" projects of examples of the height of developing a given craft in your fortress. (The whole point of Class Warfare being to actually give you a reason to want those goods besides for trade value.)

However, beyond even that, as people have pointed out, taming/domesticating an animal species is a form of technology.  If we have Improved Farming implemented, specific crop rotations and the inclusion of pump-based irrigation or other techniques for getting more from your land are all technologies.  Maybe these can have some invisible bonus (an overall "this society understands taming animals very well" bonus or taxological bonus in addition to the species-specific bonus to taming) but they can mostly be "technologies" of what you, as a player, have tried to apply emergent techniques to doing better.

As an added amusing bonus, the game could reflect increases in worldgen city farming because of techniques that you have "discovered" in your own fortress.  (Although given how Toady tends to work things, that would mean that if you created an irrigation system, it wouldn't actually apply unless worldgen cities were capable of procedurally building their own aquaducts and irrigation systems, themselves...)
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

kerlc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 05, 2013, 03:14:13 pm »

While I agree with what you posted (including the social warfare topic), I have just one quite simple question that needs answering: How will this transform DF into a deeper game without removing the great feeling of playing DF? Based from what you posted, it reads as more of a Grand Strategy game, akin to Victoria 2, or Hearts of Iron.

inb4, yes, this is basically a question of how will you transform these mechanics from micromanaging flowcharts into playing DF. You have me at that.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 05, 2013, 03:50:28 pm »

While I agree with what you posted (including the social warfare topic), I have just one quite simple question that needs answering: How will this transform DF into a deeper game without removing the great feeling of playing DF? Based from what you posted, it reads as more of a Grand Strategy game, akin to Victoria 2, or Hearts of Iron.

inb4, yes, this is basically a question of how will you transform these mechanics from micromanaging flowcharts into playing DF. You have me at that.

Well, that's a pretty loaded question, since it buries what is the true question behind it.

Specifically, "What is the true feel of DF?" and, "How can it be destroyed?"

People have asked for a "Kingdom Mode" for a while now, but not in a way that would ever destroy Adventurer Mode (in fact, they would want the different modes to all blend in with one another).

Further, DF is such an expansive game already that everybody tends to play for different reasons.  To further delve into it, look at the notion of Aesthetics of Play/Core Gameplay Aesthetics - the reasons we enjoy the games we enjoy, and what it is we seek out of them.

So the question is, again, "What is YOUR great feeling you get from Dwarf Fortress?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

kerlc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 05, 2013, 04:11:22 pm »

Well, it's the feeling of managing a fully running fortress without having to faff about with flowcharts and overlays too much. It's basically the same reason why i enjoy The Settlers, having a bit more personal control over what's happening.

Adventure mode i enjoy because it is a great simulation of a free roaming adventurer.

Also, nice use of Extra Credits. I am a follower of their work, and most of what i know about game design and inner workings of games derives from their monologues paired with personal observations.

And i personally believe that most people like Fortress mode because of the incredible feeling of control one gets without having direct control of the dwarves. That feeling of distance is what attracts most people to his sort of game, and why a fully fledged and functional fort feels just so damned alive.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 05, 2013, 04:43:36 pm »

Well, it's the feeling of managing a fully running fortress without having to faff about with flowcharts and overlays too much. It's basically the same reason why i enjoy The Settlers, having a bit more personal control over what's happening.

Adventure mode i enjoy because it is a great simulation of a free roaming adventurer.

Also, nice use of Extra Credits. I am a follower of their work, and most of what i know about game design and inner workings of games derives from their monologues paired with personal observations.

And i personally believe that most people like Fortress mode because of the incredible feeling of control one gets without having direct control of the dwarves. That feeling of distance is what attracts most people to his sort of game, and why a fully fledged and functional fort feels just so damned alive.

If you want to run a town without micromanagement, then you're probably playing the wrong game...  :P

But in any event, if you're more interested in watching the ant farm than telling the ant specifically where to go, then about a third of what I'm trying to accomplish with some of these huge threads of mine, especially Class Warfare, is pushing the player back from micromanagement and more towards design choices that influence a more autonomous (and intelligent) dwarf. 

Another third of it being to introduce the culture and social customs to make a lot of other changes to the game make sense, including the other third, being to make dwarves eventually happy capitalists rather than communists, so that they actually buy higher-quality trade goods for their own uses, rather than mere requesting subsistence as a happy communist.

I don't particularly want to have a line graph tell you that your culture rating has gone up 15 points, and that corresponds to a 20% increase in sales of quality pottery, I'd rather just let the game itself show dwarves with extra income start decorating their homes with the pots they buy.  Maybe a chart could give you an overall view, but being able to see the procedural changes of the habits of dwarves first-hand is kind of what makes the ant farm such an exciting thing to watch and influence.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware those who would keep knowledge from you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 05, 2013, 06:04:46 pm »

First: I'm ridiculously impressed by NW_Kohaku's ability to write Multiple, Interesting, Logical, Thought-Out, and dear gods, *Referenced* posts. Posts that remain interesting and professionally-written, clear to the center of the tootsie-pop.

Plus: unicorn.

I'm working on implementing technological research in my mod, currently through the path of simply forcing you to build your infrastructure (and to breed your farmed foodstuffs and domestic animals from gathered plants and captured beasts, among many other things) up to some critical, arbitrary point, through a process that's drawn-out enough, and goes off in enough tangents and webs, that it should be impossible for anyone to "research" everything in the mod, simply because you're never going to get the resources, the trade, the room, the skills, the peace, or the Fortress-wide sanity (let alone the sanity of the player), to put every last thing in, in the 10,000 game-years I'm giving you.

I'm hoping the end-result will be close enough to a historical model to suit my tastes, but it's something that's very hard to guess at.
For they would be your masters.

Babylon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 05, 2013, 06:35:15 pm »

The game already includes research into animal training.  A similar mechanic might work for other things. 

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 05, 2013, 06:52:29 pm »

I hand it to you, NW_Kohaku. Thank you for these incredible posts, and as its bugging me who the hell is your avatar? I agree with much of your points, but breakthroughs do occur, and fortress's are in a position to have them. By it's very nature, Fortress Mode is occurring in new territory for your Civ, and possibly for any it's come into contact with. Where it makes sense, there should be unknown and untinkered things in these regions. It might be new plant types, creatures, or minerals, but it should be there, and you should have the ability to exploit it. Yes, you. I'm not after strange moods here, I'm talking about turning your fortress into your own personal laboratory. You can direct the tests, you can suggest applications, you can send parties out to gather materials, etc. Of course, you could leave it to Dwarven ingenuity, but you might want to have another look at fell moods first.

Exclusive Research trees seem dull to me. Sure, there will be technology's where a next step is relatively clear, and you can pump a few dwarf hours into it. On the other hand, experimentation initiated by you or your dwarves is crucial to make it surprising. Aside from the potential realistic applications, we're in a fantasy world, no one can know what such fiddling will produce, and with the future randomization applying the scientific method to such things holds much appeal for me.

In this case, i think culture should certainly have a bearing, but there will always be a few outliers, particularly if you try and push your dwarves in that direction. What happens when the rest of the Civ gets word of it is a different story, however. For that matter, the same goes with everyone else. I often wonder why no one else seems to give adamantium a shot, and having realistic reactions to the tales of terrible things unleashed from the bowels of the fort, much like NW_Kohaku has been describing, adds that much more immersion.
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 05, 2013, 07:17:29 pm »

*refuses to read 3 pages of text, and risks looking like a jerk.

It is important to understand what motivates invention.  That being, necessity.  Populations expand, and you need more productive farming, then you need btter housing, and better medica care, then social reforms.... on and on, due to ever emerging needs that need to be met. This is what drives invention.

Now, let's look at the DF universe:

Elves live forever, theoretically. They don't suffer disease, nor old age. Their immediate need is for sustainability, due to their immortality. As such, their technology, such as it is, is related to sustainable living. Knowledge about how different animals live and relate to one another, how plants live grow and die, what changes in wind patterns and seasons mean, etc.  Elves have a vested interest in actually halting the shortsighted "progress" of shorter lived races, because they see and comprehend the long consequences of those actions, and will actively seek to prevent those things from happeing, again, out of necessity.

Dwarves work with stone, and live in harsh climates. They will develop architectural technologies, like concrete, metalurgical technologies, and things of that nature.

Humans are humans, and will have needs and drives very familiar to us already, which shouldn't need elaborating.

The alchemy happens when you overlap all 3 in the same world.

Humans have a need for better agriculture knowledge, and better civic designs. They can either invest in that knoweldge themselves, or they can get that "technology" from the other races.  Compare for instance, building a crappy city layout themselves, VS just paying the dwarves to build it for them in exchange for food, wood, and various raw materials.  Paying to have it done is usually almost always less expensive and more desirable than doing it yourself. This is why you hire an electrician, or a plumber, or go to see a doctor, rather than studying EE, learning all the ins ans outs of plumbing, or going to medschool, just so you can do all those things for yourself.  It is simply more efficient to outsource specialist labors to specialists.

This means that if you need domesticated farm animals, you get ones trained by elves, and pay for it with exotic seeds, lasting organic beauty enriched items like bonsai, or high quality craft goods that last a long time. The elf trained ones will be VERY well trained, owing to many lifetimes worth of experiencer doing that thing by the trainer. You simply can't do a better job yourself.

If you need a castle built, or need a city expanded or renovated after a disaster, you hire a dwarven civ to do the work, and pay them with materials they don't have in abundance; like wood, or medicines.

Each race would have local imperitives that the others would not have, and as such, greater intrinsic needs to fill, which would get disproportional investments of resources. Humans would become traders, building sailing ships, and become physicians and apothicaries. Elves would become naturalists, sages, conservationists, and exquisite animal trainers. Dwarves would become engineers and architects, and masters of military strategy.

By being nearby to each other, and implicitly solving smaller needs for each other more efficiently than each alone could satisfy, each culture will stop trying to master all disciplines, and specialist isolation will cap advancement after reaching a local maximum.

For the residents involved, there is no dire need to be a better animal trainer than an elf could be. The local animal trainers in the other two civs would just be essentially animal herders and caretakers, with only limited needs for training skill. If you want the best, you simply buy the best, and leave the local labor for things that are just good enough, and don't need to be splendid.

Eg, if you stub your toe, you don't really need a doctor. But when you need one, you get a skilled human one.  Etc.

What I am getting at here, is that it is inefficient for these societies to massively stockpile redundant skill based knowledge within each of their civs, when they can simply trade for the benefit of that skill based knowledge as needed, far more efficiently.  This shifts the balance of what is a necessity, and what gets researched within each civ. As such, humans won't develop our culture; they will develop a merchant and physician culture.  Dwarves won't develop our culture either; they will develop a military and civil engineer culture. Elves won't develop our culture in any capacity, and will develop a philisophical caste based culture instead, that makes equitable and long sighted laws that clearly outdo the petty politics of the other races.

In short, the presense of "others" is what dictates that the DF universe simply won't leave its local maximum, and won't progress past a certain point of information density, because it is inefficient for them to do so, and there is a lack of necessity for them to do so.

assasin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 05, 2013, 08:22:01 pm »

Your fortress/city is its own driver of its own technology.  You invent things through your own actions, rather than waiting for a gift from the Random Number God or spending points on a tech tree.

I've always wanted a crafting system where you can tell the dwarves what you want. Instead of making one type of sword, one type of spear, etc you'd make a blade of a certain length. If you put that blade on a sword hilt you have a sword, if you put it on a pole you have a polearm. The system could be expanded with this thread in mind.

Say you could decide to have different metals or different qualities of metals at different parts of the blades. Than !!!SCIENCE!!! could be used tyo figure out what the best combination was. Potentially different metals could be added for different things. Say you have a [pink] superheavy metal, you stick that at the centre of a blade and use some candy for the edges and you have a supersharp blade with enough mass to it to do some decent [probably overpowered] damage.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 05, 2013, 08:52:22 pm »

You don't need libraries to contain lost arts, they just need to teach stuff. that's a rather different mechanic than technological innovation.

The point I was making was that a society itself has more knowledge about technology, innovations, and ideas then it has in use or in the common mind. In fact that is how things worked in europe in real life.

Thus whenever any of those things are created and are not adopted they are lost... but may still exist in any record keeping institution. Or the it could have been adopted but due to great loss it was forgotten but records are kept or they are within the ruins of the old.

It perfectly fits in with technological innovation.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 18