Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 18

Author Topic: Working through Medieval stasis  (Read 31663 times)

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
Re: Working through Medieval stasis
« Reply #195 on: February 12, 2013, 04:36:32 pm »

OK, I'm going to try to move all the magic-talk over to the Contract Magic Thread (I'm just necroing it and taking over some of the Xenosynthesis stuff from here to there, as well), because we've been on derailments in this thread that can get us halfway to Mars in terms of distance from original topic.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware those who would keep knowledge from you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: February 12, 2013, 06:18:35 pm »

OK, I'm going to try to move all the magic-talk over to the Contract Magic Thread (I'm just necroing it and taking over some of the Xenosynthesis stuff from here to there, as well), because we've been on derailments in this thread that can get us halfway to Mars in terms of distance from original topic.

I can't disagree, but I think a lot of that has to do with the original topic being too specific, too acute, and too open to vast interpretation, for there to be an easily-reached concensus.

It's basically: Either "Medieval stasis", or... ?

I feel we've succeeded in the primary goals of the thread, as I understand them: to demonstrate that noone (or enough nays to reach a concensus) really wants the game to stand still, in terms of either technological evolution, OR generic fantasy setting, and that there are myriad options open for winnowing away the aspects of medieval society that we don't want hanging around forever, while keeping true to the basic nature of the game.

It's also given me a lot to think about, in terms of what that nature is, and expanded my mind on what the idea of a "dwarf fortress" might become, down through the ages.
For they would be your masters.

Boea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: February 12, 2013, 07:06:59 pm »

And in their Language, the Crop of the Fae were considered Death Omens. None would consume their Grapes of Wrath, for they came in silence as warning, and were soon followed by pestilence, destroying the agriculture of many-a-place, and thus subjugating many, once prominent city-states.
[Angry Goblin Berry Farmers.]

The felling's mutual, but I don't want to have the damn species be so stuck to one category, and that's about it.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: February 12, 2013, 07:08:24 pm »

Yes, but at the same time, there were points where I was in three concurrent discussions about magic, how restrictive races were to culture, and how to model technology improvements in the game at the same time. 

The third one is really the topic of the thread, the magic part was just the ways in which elves, specifically, might include technology advancement through a re-thinking of ways in which to pseudo-industrialize using magical means.  (And the nature of how hard-coded elven or goblin behavior is got shunted over into this thread...)

... so... ummmm...

How 'bout that technology?

The last post on the topic explicitly seems to have been
Spoiler: this one (click to show/hide)

... and that was the one that spurred me on to resurrecting the Class Warfare thread...

That is, I think that technology can be used as part of a difficulty-scaling mechanism, where the game may be in some ways much harder when it's more developed. 

Or, in other words, in our simple, basic level game we have now, there's no challenge but immediate survival.  Your points about technology basically just making doing something we can already do a little bit better when, in order to get there, we already had to be able to do it well enough to survive in the first place, is a valid point, and that the way that I'm thinking of making that work is to just make something else that ramps up the challenge as time goes on.

On the most immediate and obvious level, there is the external threat level.  That is, the more technologically advanced your fortress starts out at, the more technologically advanced the goblins may be, as well.  They may just plain send more goblins or better armored goblins, or even better siege engines with better capacity to dig or bridge or knock down walls.  That gives an impetus to climb up the technologically-available ladder quickly for the same reason that an RTS game will make you want to jump up the tiers of units you can produce. 

The purpose of the class warfare stuff, however, is to also introduce internal stresses that make it so that even a secured fortress protected from external threats and capable of self-sustenance is still presented with a challenge from within.  Basically, in the same way that vampires produce an internal threat, or the sometimes-suggested fortress thieves are a threat that can't be purely blocked at the gates, but requires the capacity to suss out information about your fortress's internal workings, and possibly undermine a fortress from within present a greater challenge to the player. 

The further purpose is to make technologically-difficult-to-produce items like high-end trade crap actually useful by making those items used in pacifying increasingly difficult-to-pacify dwarves.  That is, as you progress through the game to the point where external threats alone are no longer a challenge, the point is to make internal threats undermine your ability to always control your dwarves exactly how you want to, and make their own internal fortress lives more interesting.

Making clans of dwarves that feud and possibly even come to blows if you can't resolve the dispute peacefully means including an actual threat to fortress unity that isn't solvable strictly through walling off your fort or magma.  (Well... you still could give the Hatfield or McCoy family a collective Unfortunate Accident, I suppose, but you couldn't do it too often...)

Hence, you work on providing nicer amenities to dwarves than just bare-sustenance in order to keep the fissures between your dwarves from erupting into civil war.

This isn't entirely separate from the external threats, either - part of the point is that it makes your fortress more focused on solving internal conflicts than actually expanding, and as such, being able to mine and mechanize huge portions of the fortress to solve any problem you might face from an external threat automatically (such as obsidian-casting an FB or something). 

I would also point to the older arguments relating to rubble.  Making the entire process of mining (and hence, expanding your fortress in general) slower and involving more labor means that the internal stresses have more impact on your capacity to fully excavate the entire map.  (I would also honestly just prefer a smaller map - I use a single cavern layer all the time, and feel there is no loss of gameplay from cutting the number of z-levels rendered in half.  The supposed increase in challenge is non-existant since I just wall off the caverns, and go straight for the magma sea, anyway.  I routinely have magma forges within my first year. Making the stairwells/pump stacks twice as long isn't really anything but a nuisance.)

Adding to that the challenges of more complex farming, and you can start having internal stresses that seriously sap the strength of a fortress before an external threat ever arrives.

Therefore, I think the way to make the rising tech levels make sense is to basically revisit the old notion of increasing challenge that spurs the player to have to develop their fortress more thoroughly as time goes on.  (And go beyond just the "learning cliff" in difficulty.)

Hence, I will go back to what I was saying about having "technology" that your fortress possesses that not only reflects your own ability, as a player, to actually build public works projects like pump stacks to move water around, but also to a sense of the "skill level" your entire fortress has developed through the use of specific dwarves' skills. (That is, the total amount of metalworking experience your fortress has.)

If you start having things like moving from plain steel to Fine Dwarven Steel to Exceptional Dwarven Steel, and then Nickeled-Steel or some pseudo-magical metals that give combat bonuses, and then have martial arts schools that train better warriors that develop new techniques that let dwarves better cleave off limbs or something, or the ability to develop armor for your trained beasts, or even a technological development for just plain farming more food from the same land to support more warriors in the field, you generate the scaling capacity for a fortress to meet a scaling threat.

If you expect half your "advances" to come from player skill, and the other half from just having better steel weapons, then scaling enemy strength is going to give you plenty of reason to keep pushing both players and their technologies for an edge, alike.

Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: February 12, 2013, 10:06:04 pm »

This would imply that eventually dwarves will have amassed sufficient background knowledge to very complex and very un-straight-forward reactions, like electrolysis of bauxite, melted in heated chryolite, to produce a disgusting caustic glassy material, and refined aluminum. This means huge supplies of the stuff would eventually be unlockable.

Unless you want to plce arbitrary restrictions on what processes would actually become available, for the sake of preserving the game's "feel"?

(Given magma as the heat source, a source of chryolite, such as via import, and some means of discovering electricity, which many civilizations in antiquity *did* do, then the only remaining factor is the degree of (al)chemical knowedge the civ has achieved. You could well end up with dwarves manufacturing nylon out of rocknut oil, given enough time and investment. At some point you need to cap the tech tree, or the proposal becomes impossibly ambitious.)

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: February 12, 2013, 10:28:30 pm »

I'd actually think it might be fair to just have some more obviously fictional metals (that is, not-quite "deep" metals like the spoiler stuff, but similarly hard-to-find, and not on the surface metals,) that could be alloyed.  That way, discovering how to refine them into a useful metal or how to alloy them into better metals wouldn't "break the fantasy feel". 

Finding a vein of "oricite" or something down around third-cavern-level, and making Orichalcum from oricite and common bronze alloyed. (As a mythic metal, not as a probable-variant of naturally-occurring bronze.)

You could work some mundane metals or put mundane metallurgy techniques to use with fictional metals and still make it feel fantasy-ish.  (And of course, modders could always go nuts making it strict reality or strict fantasy.)

Likewise, people have suggested making elven wood magic so that having wooden swords isn't such a blatantly stupid idea. (Elven magic woods becoming stronger and more magical as their magical research develops as a stand-in for technology on their part.)  (Maybe even culminating in some sort of Tenchi Muyo-style wooden handle that shoots out a light saber beam or something...  Elves with cotton-candy-level weapons would be a scary threat, then.)

Goblins, likewise, might find underworld materials to fight with or have alliances with shadow creatures, or otherwise involve bigger and badder things than themselves and get armaments that might carry syndromes or the like.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: February 12, 2013, 10:41:59 pm »

Elven restrictions on fire (firewood more correctly) shouldn't shut them out of simple copper crafts, like knives, arrowheads, and spearpoints IMHO.  Copper is one special exception that can be cold worked. They just need a hammer and a hard surface to work against. Hard wood harvested through "kosher" means would suffice for both, amusingly.

Copper hardens from being struck, which introduces brittleness with large pieces without an anneaing oven, but making simple hammered braceletes, brooches, arrowheads, knives, and spearpoints from native copper nuggets seems an appropriate tech for elves, given it doesn't require anything except elbow grease.

For aluminum and dwarves though, many industrial aluminums with copper or zinc, (2025 and 7075 alloys respectively!) Are every bit as "sturdy" as mild steel, but considerably lighter. These are commonly referred to as "aircraft aluminum", but the proper way to refer to them is the alloy number, because they have radically different chemical properties.

Another overlooked tech in this thread is simple heat treating, like "case hardening". Case hardening is especially useful on ferrous metals and their alloys, essentially being a way to control the impegnation of carbon into an iron piece to give it asymetrical properties. (Such as in katana, where you have mild steel next to very hard steel, seamlessly in the same blade.)

Case hardening is a very simple and fairly straightforward tech innovation, and shouldn't be overlooked.

I am of the opinion that the kiln workshop does not get the love it deserves from DF, in regard to the metalcraft industry. Case hardening of iron armors to increase its puncture resistance is a very well known process, and would lend itself well as a gateway knowledge toward artisinal steel synthesis.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2013, 10:55:20 pm by wierd »

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: February 12, 2013, 10:54:40 pm »

Well, copper alone isn't going to give elves a sword that will make them a threat against dwarves.  They're a race reliant upon their magic, so giving them magic that genuinely compensates for their lack of metal in a fight takes away their insane suicide lemming charge tendencies.

As for aluminum, isn't it a problem specifically of aluminum that it tends to... I'm not thinking of the right word for this, but when it flexes and springs back, it creates a wear on the metal that will eventually turn into a fracture, whereas steel has a much longer life of that sort of flexibility. 

Steel weapons and armor (especially seen in the likes of cavalry sabres, which essentially wobble like a bowstring) are constantly flexing from impacts, and wouldn't aluminum have a weakness towards that sort of shattering?
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: February 12, 2013, 10:58:58 pm »

The two alloys spec'd are what are used on the skins of jumbo airliners.  The kind that go from sealevel pressure, to the positive internal cabin pressure difference of 30 to 50 thousand feet, and do so many times daily, for years.

They have a different grain structure from other aluminum alloys. That is why they have steel like properties for young modulous, and sheer.  7075 was formulated later than 2025, because of its reduced vulnerability to corrosion, over environmental and occupational hazard regulations surrounding the use of hexavalent chromium primers as corrosion inhibitors.

*works in aerospace

Alumium would always be a poor choice for a weapon, due to its low kinetic energy, from having a low weight.  Much like candycane swords aren't really cleavers, but instead slicers, because they just don't pack enough whallop.

It would make an effective substitute for platemail, however, with far lss encumberance of the wearer.

As for elves in regards to copper, I was considering their using it for things like cloth cutting (scissors, knives), arrow head broadpoints, (not effective against steel plate, but still fine aganst leather.) And as "well beaten" impact hardened sheets inserted into wooden swords, for use as a slicing edge.  Imbued with magic!, it could be the elven "super material", and being naturally rare as a surface feature, would be naturally self limiting by supply. It would also make a good reason for elves to want dwarven assistence. (To get more. It being a "more ethical work.")

« Last Edit: February 12, 2013, 11:08:36 pm by wierd »

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: February 12, 2013, 11:19:23 pm »

When contemplating alumium alloy, think of it this way:

Mild steel, after treatment to T6 condition. (Heat treat.).
Sillyputty at cond 0. (No heat treat.)

It doesn't get harder than "mild steel".  It becomes useful only after you can turn bauxite into aluminum metal. Then it makes a lesser substitute for steel, but only for armor. Not magma safe!

Steel is heavier, but can be heat treated to achieve hardnesses much greater than aluminum alloy. This makes it superior for knife making, because a hard metal holds an edge better than a soft one. Also makes it superior for manufacturing springs, and items of that sort. Has a migher melting point, and is magma safe.

Steel is superior to aluminum alloy for weapons use. Aluminum alloy is better than copper armor, on par with mild steel, but only as armor. The superior hardness of hardened steel weapons, with their greater kinetic weight, means they can hack through it though. It's a medium/light armor.

Using it in combination with a ceramic coating makes it MUCH more useful. Titanium nitride (TiN) coating is chemically compatible with both alloys, and provides a good erosion resistant surface that is very hard.

TiN is often applied to steels as well, and is frequently found on hedge trimmer blades, endmill cutting tools, and airhammer chisel tips.  It has a lustrous golden color, but is actually a thermally deposited ceramic material, and not a metal.

Dwarves are unlikely to be able to produce titanium nitride, but an alternative ceramic material is alumium oxide. (Emery.) If they can manufacture metalic alumimum, they can produce aluminum oxide.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2013, 11:31:14 pm by wierd »

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: February 13, 2013, 08:49:26 pm »

I feel that technology should continue to improve, for as long as it can be maintained in a way that is Fun.
But I also don't feel that I should ever be limited by, or restricted to, only using the real world as a point-to-point model of how technology *must* progress in the game.

What I mean by this is: I see nothing wrong with cherry-picking technologies I like--swords continued to evolve for 500 years after gunpowder was discovered, and would still be continuing to do so, to this day, just as knives are. And although philosophically I'm a technical pacifist, uncomfortable-yes, semi-hypocritically-with the 'Cult of Violence' mentality in our society, I like swords more than my psychologist is absolutely comfortable with--although she assures me that, while it is indeed a complicated issue, it probably has something to do with perfectly normal, healthy feelings of insecurity about the size of my penis.

My wife retorts that these fears are unfounded, and atleast from her perspective, ungrounded; that I instead harbour immature power-fantasies I'm unwilling to admit fully to myself, for fear of indulging in them uncontrollably, along with additional hidden fears about my ability to cope in a modern world. I therefore am inclined to regress into an idealized "fantasy" of a situation and lifestyle where I can fill the role of 'Protector', and that creates within me an avatar of the 'Knight in Shining Armour'; but because I married a woman whom I can't deny is more capable of surviving in the modern world than I'll ever be, my respect for her, and my strong commitment to her, leaves me unsatisfied with traditional fantasy roles, leading me to seek more from my escapism than rescuing an unrealistic and unfulfilling "princess", from mentally inferior and overly simplistic "dragons", but that she still feels deeply flattered that I would want to, which is one reason among many that I love her, and brings us neatly back to the topic:

The main thing to avoid isn't change itself, but changes that would destroy the model and assertations of the game Dwarf Fortress is built on, with their very presence.

Not every advance in technology will cause this upset, and I consider William Hope Hodgeson's 'The Night Lands' to be a nearly perfect example of Dwarf Fortress taken to it's ultimate conclusion. That's a book about a Fortress built on Earth, that outlasted our very *SUN* by millions of years.

The people--almost the entirety of the recogniseable human species--inside are, inescapably (in some part due to their own apathy, but at this point taking any action to significantly change their circumstances would likely result in obliteration--and rather than being depressing, the books are hopeful in tone), surrounded and beseiged by all manner of monsers--some of which are not entirely unlike our current Chaos Titans (although they vaguely seem to be extra-terrestrial in origin, and are pretty much hostile Eldritch Abominations of greater or lesser orders, in nature). Others fill more traditional "fantasy antagonist" roles, but have explicitly evolved-mostly from humans-to do so, and have their own quirks. Melee weapons reign supreme in this future (They use diskoi: retractable poles mounted with razor-sharp, spinning metal disks, charged with some equivalent of high-amp electricity, and inhabited/guided by some kind of artificial intelligence, able to work with and anticipate the wielder.), and the main setting is a pyramidal Fortress over seven miles high, and extending for over a hundred miles deeper into the Earth, cladded in dozens of feet of solid metal. The humans survive by farming underground, and tapping into some kind of quasi-magical, quasi-holy, geothermal current.

It's got elements of science fiction (reasonably cutting-edge, by 1912 pre-Lovecraft era standards), romanticism (containing both the concept of undying love through nearly an infinity of ages, as well as a "romantic" style of heroic literature.), and a strong heroic fantasy theme that is never outshown by either genre.

So there can be fantasies of future times, as well as of the past ('Star Wars' also comes to mind), and even if the fantasy genre as a whole often loses sight of that (although I've seen that improve immensely in my lifetime), there's no reason the game has to have a 'Maximum Luddite Approval Quotient', that once reached, causes the game to solidify in amber. 

Taking the concept of a fantasy into the future isn't an easy or direct step, though.

Models obviously exist, but they're heavily outweighed by the Luddites, atleast in Western media (Anime, on the other hand...), and balancing this kind of thing out into something that continues to be Fun (meaning both greatly entertaining, and also quite possibly suicidally challenging), is going to be a right bastard.

Is it worth it? Well, the alternatives are: medieval stasis; or the real world without Dwarf Fortress. If we follow a real timeline, at some point our dwarfs are just gonna be barricading themselves inside their trailers on the set of 'Survivor: DF 2013'.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: February 13, 2013, 09:16:57 pm »

I understand completely, but for a narrative to be believable, even one with outright fantastical marshmallow unicorn poop that can cure cancer, and brightens your smile too, there needs to be structure. Without structure, there is no framework for narrative, and thus no potential for story elements to emerge from the RNG's output.

I believe that there should be multiple routes to different techs.

The suggestion that tech needs a cap comes from the requirement that as an implementer of a system, there must be a limit, or there must be a generative semantic that can extrapolate continued growth, one or the other.  The former is easier to implement, the latter quickly becomes Traveling Salesman levels of hard, as you increase complexity.

It wasn't a suggestion for medieval stasis. More, a reminder that computed growth with a very complex semantic with lots of variables is not a sensible thing to ask for. If toady can fix that problem, he deserves a fields medal. :D

I was also pointing out that with unlimited energy supplies, like magma, the DF universe will eventually reach true post-scarcity, (or at least hinted that direction by mentioning aluminum synth), and that this would radically change how the game operates.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: February 13, 2013, 10:45:14 pm »

Well, if the farming isn't fixed, then because of infinite magma and water, as well as infinite "goblinite", you have infinite quantities of at least one type of every important substance but flux. (And you can import that infinitely by caravan, as well...)

In fact, as many people who have long-term forts will point out, you don't really consume very much in a fort, either.  You don't need but so much steel because steel items don't wear out.  Wood is eventually no longer needed as you only need so many beds, and you just start re-using the same barrels rather than having to build a constant supply of more of them.

It's mostly just clothing, alcohol, and food that need replinishment constantly - and that's all infinite thanks to food.

... It's kind of the point behind why I was working on the Class Warfare, Improved Farming, and want to go onto Improved Mining - all the resources in the game need to be rebalanced for the game to have any balance or difficulty. 

As for being able to proceed out infinitely, there are certainly systems for that, although they tend to be boring.

I.E. D&D's epic levels from 3.5 ed, and the way that basically all of 4th ed works is based upon a fairly simple linear progression.  As you go out into infinity, you just keep on adding another +1d6 of damage to that fireball, or +1 to the attack roll of an enemy.  Your +5 Longsword suddenly can become an epic +6 Longsword instead. 

However, unless we start getting those black boxes where you can set up complex mechanical logic inside a container to produce functional one-tile boolean logic gates, and having powered workshops fed by minecarts that are capable of manufacturing products on their own, I seriously doubt we're going to ever going to have truly emergent technologies in this game.

And since I similarly doubt anyone would want just a continuous +1 to attack rolls with swords made from a progressively more refined type of metal going on forever, we're probably going to just have an arbitrary stopping point.  (Although if it's moddable, then it may be to the limits of what the scripting language allows us to cook up...)

Hence, if we're not getting steampunk, (and we're not, that's one of the few things Toady's been rather adamant about - he wants Tolkinien dwarves,) then higher fantasy is the only real direction to go.

That means magitek at some point.  (There was a Toady quote somewhere about how he wasn't really going to try letting people just manufacture flaming swords by assembly line, but that it might be what the game comes to in the magic system, eventually.) We already have magic metals, so just expanding upon magic metals a little more, especially if we do so in a way that makes some real-world sense, or uses parts of real-world metalurgy with some sort of magic A is magic A logic (like making nether blades of ice out of nether cap wood enhanced through ritual, or even using nether caps in refining a nether-using device specifically to freeze water and trap encroaching aquatic threats...) you can start producing something that both makes sense and is also magic.

Once again, we're already using magic metals against magic monsters.  Saying that it's cheating to use a magic missile against the three-headed beast that breathes magma and spits a disease that turns people inside out because we have to stick to reality is kind of forgetting what sort of game we're actually playing.

DF's a game of magic that obeys logic at its core.  Maybe not strictly real-world logic, but it has a definite logic, and an exploitable logic, at that. 
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: February 13, 2013, 11:03:01 pm »

I agree on all counts, even though this means eliminating much of the "magical abstractionism" of the game. (Soil is no longer a mystically infinite resource generator, and requires maintenence. Water stops being an infinite resource, and must be managed, same with magma. (Will probably share code.) This means things like obsidian factories won't be long term viable, and a host of other things.

Some players may strenuously object to this, claiming that all the additional system considerations amount to increased micromanagement chores.

Personally, however, I would welcome such changes, since they better reflect the difficulties of managing a community, especially a militaristic/mercantile one.

The issue about post scarcity with unlimited energy sources comes at worldgen time though, if coupled with a symantic that can extrapolate out into infinity, and has no cap.  Every world would eventually either implode from political turmoil, or reach post scarcity utopian "startrek" status.

With or without magic.

Some people might consider that a feature though.

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: February 13, 2013, 11:57:55 pm »

The suggestion that tech needs a cap comes from the requirement that as an implementer of a system, there must be a limit, or there must be a generative semantic that can extrapolate continued growth, one or the other. 

True.

I'm trying to work out some means and tricks around that limit, and the hard limits imposed by the game and it's use of computer resources, but even if they're not insurmountable (and that's debatable), the idea of having a narrative structure at all, generally demands a beginning, a setting, and an ending.

Your tech-web map, as opposed to that of a tech-tree chart, is a really interesting one, and I feel is a marked improvement on the tree chart. It's a method I'm familiar with, in theory, but I don't have much experience with it in practice, and I lack confidence on how well it might be overlapped onto my "keep building infrastructure until you get somewhere" current model.

I think that getting too far off into future times (whenever a concensus is reached on whatever the hell that even means; or whenever I just go off on my own about it, which is more likely), is going to be difficult to do sensibly, and maybe not all that desireable, depending.

The main point I want to drive home though, is that we're not limited to our past, present, or future, or to a generic "fantasy" that maybe has more to do with gratifying psychological desires (not that that's in any way a bad thing), than providing background for good storytelling (although obviously, there's a relationship there, too).

It will, however, require a greater investment in imagination and organization, and the traditional, generic, "fantasy land" does have a real appeal, but I think I owe it to myself to make my fantasies as fantastic as they can be.

All that said, this game definitely needs a technology-sink.

What are some valid reasons for our dwarfs to invest heavily in the future? I've got the distant threat of waves of implacable undead, leading to star-calamari, and I think it has some potential, but it's still hard to nail down as to what a 21st century dwarf can do about it...

Farming, mining, smithing, brewing, and most other tasks connected to basic survival are indeed way too easy. My Fortresses either die out because of migrants, temper tantrums, or extremely poor management on the part of me, and I think that's a safe bet for most experience players. That needs to change, and I agree that farming is the biggest culprit (although migrant waves are easily the most broken "feature" in the game).

But what's all this leading to?

I don't think the goal is to entirely avoid "punk"-type technology altogether (we've got perpetual machine mechanisms, that power pumps, levers, logic gates, complex semi-autonomous traps, probably bronze colossi, etc., so I would atleast call it 'clockwork-punk'), but to leave major, unTolkienesque game-changers like steam and gunpowder out of it (although gunpowder and fireworks both clearly exist in Middle Earth, and are made and employed by both angelic and corrupted wizards, so go figure), and keep the world clearly grounded in fantasy.

Maybe we should look at the game progressing into more of a 'Girl Genius' type setting, where clearly magitech is happening, and there's sciencey magic and magicey science, but neither are dominant, and the inexplicable just happens sometimes--due to Rule of Cool as often as not; but never encroaching too far into Jules Verne World that you're clearly existing in an Age of Reason ('Girl Genius' is more like an 'Age of Barely Functioning' in the best way possible), or going even further into 'Sky Captain' diesel-punk territory, where it's just science written  large.

Discworld is another good model for the progression of a society in a fantasy setting, for that matter: Innovation in the location of the main setting (in my opinion) starts happening after
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
in the first book, and the Patrician starts imposing more and more order on the City, apparently (it's hard to tell with him) so exasperated by how deeply the disorder extends into the very foundations of society, that he starts creating different catalysts for improvement--with a strong recurrant theme of "by whatever means expedient".
« Last Edit: February 14, 2013, 01:34:54 am by SirHoneyBadger »
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 18