Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 76

Author Topic: Factorio - Factory building game  (Read 263313 times)

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Factorio - Factory building game
« Reply #210 on: July 04, 2013, 12:00:35 pm »

Im trying to setup my ftp to host the files, sadly i am no professional at all, give me a minute untill i can test the download and it will be up.
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: July 04, 2013, 12:10:49 pm »

There we go, if you click on that link should give you the mod.

If you have any electrical furnace mod install i strongly suggest to remove it before installing that one. So far it has been working fine for me, you will need to make one research before you can use it but is quite easy to get. It is based on another user mod so i take no credit from that work. Also icons in your inventory is NOT the same as the picture being used once deployed, i kept it like that just so i could know at a glance that its not a normal stone furnace.

I hope you have fun with it.

ftp://jocan2003.serveftp.com/Electricfurnace.rar
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

Finndibaenn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: July 04, 2013, 02:46:27 pm »

Were you playing on the easiest difficulty?

No, I think was using normal difficulty , that's what i usually do when trying new games.
I made it for 2H and 10 mins or so, and reopening my save, had like 20 laser turrets and 8 gun turrets (i had actually converted some gun turret to laser ones).

TBH what broke me was a mistake : i had too many laser turrets for my power generation , resulting in my boiler shutdown because of insufficient power, but i'm still only at 25% of flight research.
I'm not saying that it's not possible, but it's hard ! especially as stone seems really scarce on that level meaning wall is only sustainable for a while (even replacing barely scratched ones, you end up losing some walls every so often).

I'll have to try the flamethrower and see if that helps

Finndibaenn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: July 04, 2013, 02:47:55 pm »

while you're here kovarex, is there any way to speed up research ? it doesn't look like making several labs would help , at least it doesn'tallow to research several techs at the same time

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: July 04, 2013, 02:53:00 pm »

Making multiple labs does help, its just you need to really scale up your various colored beaker production to benefit from them.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: July 04, 2013, 03:38:19 pm »

So what limitations does the demo have over the full version?
"10 z levels down, 10 tiles north is some blood, i shall go clean it before it drives me to insanity with it's crimson color"
The setting of Half-Life 2 Episode 3's release: "It is the 41st Millennium. For more than a hundred centuries the Gabe has sat immobile on the..."

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: July 04, 2013, 04:13:23 pm »

So what limitations does the demo have over the full version?
From delving into files, most notable limitation is building choice for starter, beside that i have no idea.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2013, 06:01:54 pm by jocan2003 »

Finndibaenn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: July 04, 2013, 04:44:34 pm »

Making multiple labs does help, its just you need to really scale up your various colored beaker production to benefit from them.

guess i should have tried earlier, it does indeed work !
Managed to finish that mission in normal with  speeding up research (went up to 4 labs)  coupled to a flamethrower with ease, thanks for the tips

mendonca

• Bay Watcher
  • [CLIVE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: July 08, 2013, 06:11:32 am »

I should post here, to follow and to express how much fun I am having with this game.

Have to say, first off, this is pretty much the game I dreamt about existing as a kiddywink, but never really thought the C64 would be able to do anything like a game this complicated. Now I play it it stirs up all those feelings of wonder I used to have watching the 'How Bread/Cars/Hoovers are Made' factory programs on telly a few years back.

It's a little bit hard to get to grips with, but only a little. Perhaps it helps having lots of training in DF / Transport Tycoon, but after a short while scratching my head I am absolutely loving the options available and it is all coming together nicely. I appreciate the fact that it is extremely easy and not particularly frustrating to re-plan your factory layout pretty much on a whim - I'm not sure if this is going to change in the future as it DOES seem a little bit of a step away from 'reality', but it really does help as you try and figure out what each little thing does.

My latest project has been building an inefficient and not particularly complicated research loop, where I have to manually input iron and copper plates in to a few interlinked assembly areas which output red and green potions to a group of three labs (I think the belt manufacture needs wheels delivering manually as well) - but as I get the turret defenses set up, fill them full of enough ammo (manually, for now), and walk away to do some burner drilling at the iron motherlode a few too many clicks away for me to worry too much about electrically powering them, and set up a nice lengthy conveyor belt (got about 500 spare kicking about because of said research loop spitting out an overprovision of belts), I'm very happy to see it all working nicely as I get through a couple of research options and the creepers fall foul to my defenses as I bring the iron back in to the main trunk belt running through my factory and delivering it all to my furnaces without any real foresight.

I've opened up filter inserters, fast belts, underground belts, and I'm pretty much consumed now with designing a general and efficient resource distribution loop for all the things I might have going on.

Great stuff! I'm excited to play about some more with this, and look forward to the development progressing!

Azated

• Bay Watcher
  • ohai der
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: July 10, 2013, 09:52:39 am »

I tried the demo a while back, so I figured I'd give the full version a shot.

Holy mother of god is this game hard. I'm on mission 2 and it takes me so long to kill a wave of creepers that I barely have enough to time rebuild my walls and rearm my turrets. There isn't enough stone on the map for a proper defensive fortification, so I've just got a big block of them surrounding my labs, along with 6 turrets. That still isn't enough to stop the creepers getting in, so I have to lead the swarm around the map a few times and thin their numbers out, then hope my turrets cant take care of the situation after I run out of ammo.
Then it happened. Then I cringed. Then I picked it up and beat him to death with it, and then his buddies, too.
You beat a man to death with his dick?

"I don't feel like myself. Maybe I should have Doc take a look at me" ~ Dreamy
 "You're gonna trust a dwarf that got his medical degree from a pickaxe?" ~ Bossy

ank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: July 10, 2013, 10:20:20 am »

I found the second map very easy, some tips:

-Get SMG, you will easily kill the creeper waves in about 10 seconds
-Don't worry about walls
-Get 10 turrets and make automatic rearming
-Make an ammunition factory and link it to the turrets

With this you can hold of the creeper for quite a while, and just add more turrets later.

Azated

• Bay Watcher
  • ohai der
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: July 10, 2013, 10:24:41 am »

I was thinking about doing something like that, but I just don't have the time to get everything set up before another wave hits. I'm thinking I might need to start from scratch and move a little quicker next time.
Then it happened. Then I cringed. Then I picked it up and beat him to death with it, and then his buddies, too.

"You're gonna trust a dwarf that got his medical degree from a pickaxe?" ~ Bossy

mendonca

• Bay Watcher
  • [CLIVE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: July 10, 2013, 11:12:17 am »

I've been playing free play mode only, and I haven't come across any difficult creeper waves yet that can't be solved with an SMG (and a bit of kiting) or a group of 2-3 turrets. Only clocked up three or so hours from the beginning of a particular game, on regular creeper activity.

Feels like one aspect of the game that is less fun than it eventually should be.

Found second time round that its important understanding the research curve a little better (and especially the green potion/red potion mechanic, preferably with a bit of automation) - it is much easier to be prepared for the creepers when they do come - with the aforementioned SMG being a much greater tool for xenocide than the pistol, and getting to turrets early really helps.

Not played with laser turrets yet - they sound like fun, but might need to reinforce my power network.

Azated

• Bay Watcher
  • ohai der
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: July 10, 2013, 12:44:09 pm »

Just managed to finish the second level thanks to flamethrowers. Those things are incredible against bunched creeps.

Loving the game so far, but I'm a little disappointed there's only two campaign levels. I wouldn't think it'd be all that hard to make half a dozen or so. I mean, it took me a good five hours just to finish two levels.

So I decided to try out the sandbox. Does anyone have a description of how each of the options effect map generation?

kovarex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: July 10, 2013, 01:00:59 pm »

Just managed to finish the second level thanks to flamethrowers. Those things are incredible against bunched creeps.

Loving the game so far, but I'm a little disappointed there's only two campaign levels. I wouldn't think it'd be all that hard to make half a dozen or so. I mean, it took me a good five hours just to finish two levels.

So I decided to try out the sandbox. Does anyone have a description of how each of the options effect map generation?

Adding lot of campaign levels would probably make players frustrated from being forced to build the factory again and again from scratch, so the main focus is on freeplay that can take almost infinite amount of time :)
But we will add some campaign levels eventually.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 76