Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 59 60 [61] 62 63 ... 76

Author Topic: Factorio - Factory building game  (Read 263227 times)

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
Re: Factorio - Factory building game
« Reply #900 on: December 24, 2017, 05:24:12 pm »

I think the game autodownloads mods now for players who don't have them, but I could be wrong.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #901 on: December 24, 2017, 05:27:19 pm »

It should. But once the game updates you'll get version mismatches. A couple updates ago broke any mods with trains. Most mods took a day or two to update. Standard issues.

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #902 on: December 24, 2017, 06:18:28 pm »

You can easily disable/enable/update any installed mods in the ingame mod manager though. As far as mod support goes, Factorio is fucking awesome.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #903 on: December 24, 2017, 08:38:24 pm »

Black Market is insanely, hideously broken and I straight up leave it out in my most recent runs
thanks for letting me know. (could you tell me how it is broken? I may want to mess around with it in singleplayer)

Balance-wise. Selling power is too good, you can buy shit when you don't have the technology for it.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #904 on: December 25, 2017, 04:36:02 am »

I made a terrible mistake.

At the same time as my Lazy Bastard run, I thought I'd try to do the Mass Production 3 achievement as well. Those are the last two achievements I have to do.

Well, I thought the Mass Production 3 achievement was for blue chips, so I made an erroneous factory for blue chips only to realize it was for green chips. I have no idea how I made this mistake, considering the achievement itself is frigging green in colour.

Oh well... at least blue chips use green chips too, so it's not like it's a complete waste. No idea what to do with all these blue chips though.

Have some screenshots as I faff about in my base, too lazy to actually finish the achievement.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

This was actually the first time I used so many trains. It's nice. I really should have used them more before. In the past I used them more for transport rather than anything else. Never realized how huge of an effect they have on your production. I suspect this is also compounded by how 0.16 changed resources so that they're further away now and you basically have to use trains.

That's also the first time I actually made a completely self-sustaining nuclear power plant. I even have it connected up to the logistics network so it doesn't overproduce nuclear fuel cells or enriched uranium. I never bothered with a real nuclear plant before due to solar being so much easier to work with and faster to get up and running.

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #905 on: December 25, 2017, 06:23:31 am »

It feels weird to see a factory that isn't a full on 'bots do everything' megabase or built around a main bus.  And yet it's too organised looking to call spaghetti.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #906 on: December 25, 2017, 11:11:12 am »

Weird is right, I don't think I have ever seen a base that size that lacks a bus or stupid amounts of bots that isn't a total mess.

It looks fairly organized, but I bet most of that is due to the way each sub-factory is spaced fairly far apart. Space makes it possible to stretch spaghetti out so it is less messy.
Rubble 8 - The most powerful modding suite in existence!
After all, coke is for furnaces, not for snorting.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #907 on: December 25, 2017, 01:24:31 pm »

What can I say. I'm a hipster who doesn't like following guides or blueprints or what's popular despite obvious benefits.

I think it's more fun when you figure things out on your own. You get a good feeling of pride and accomplishment ($1.99).

I might build a main bus later though. Just for the mass production achievement. 20m circuits is a hell of a lot.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #908 on: December 25, 2017, 01:56:22 pm »

I remember my first rocket-capable factory had a main bus of four lanes: steel, iron, copper, and green chips.  The bus formed an L shape with stuff branching off mainly in the interior of the L to make all the bigger stuff.  Stuff that wasn't on the main belt but was needed for shit like plastic got belted from one branch to another directly, or just made on both branches.  Copper ore and stone were on the same input belt at first because early on both resources were far away but basically next to each other.  Oil pipe spaghetti was west of the L.  Solar panels naturally were just fucking everywhere they could be.  The factory only really became less pasta one I had robots to delete stuff for me.

I built a train or two to input in iron ore after the initial patch ran out, but that's about it.  I think I got lazy about trains when it came to getting more oil so I built a line of roboports for bots to tote oil barrels in.  Or maybe they just carried the empty barrels back, I don't remember.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #909 on: December 25, 2017, 05:00:08 pm »

finally did some reusable blueprint that I'm happy with, thanks to the new blueprint book

I call it the modular station system http://bundly.io/Nmsrf

book here https://pastebin.com/raw/CcNq88ms

works this way: you place the basic loop aligned to any other loop, then you add whatever input output station as needed on the four sides using the power station and the roboport as an alignment guide

stations all have their network that disable inputs if full and enable output if there's something

trains are short to be fast and because there are supposed to be loads, at least one per output - or you can call all output station with the same names and the trains will find whatever 'PICK IRON PLATES' that's enabled and path there

consider it beta, I'm using a system with 5 loops, so not really a massive deployment, I'll add a station and some basic function (smelting, refueling) going forward

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #910 on: December 26, 2017, 05:47:49 am »

Lazy Bastard finally done.

I spent so long fiddling with trains that I completely forgot to actually finish the achievement.

Gonna take a damn long time to finish that Mass Production achievement...

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #911 on: December 26, 2017, 12:34:35 pm »

I want ceilings. In vanilla factorio (haven't checked mods. also, not talking about those factories that are bigger on the inside).

Like, completely aesthetic tiles that block view unless you're under a ceiling. A bit of furniture would be nice, that way you'd be able to make some sort of housing or management offices and stuff.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #912 on: December 26, 2017, 03:36:29 pm »

I'm sure those biters need lots of offices.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #913 on: December 26, 2017, 04:55:43 pm »

How are you gonna sue them for property damage then?

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #914 on: December 29, 2017, 05:11:38 pm »

Does anyone have any tips for mass green circuit production?

I've just been making ginormous green circuit production lines using the default 3xcopper wire directly feeding 2xgreen circuits and it's still taking eons.

I have to get 20m of them and I don't want to just sit around being AFK forever.

Also I have no clue what to do with all these circuits. Trying to use them to make more chips is going to kill me as I'd have to make a ridiculously large oil setup just for that alongside even more base metals. I think I'm going to end up loading cars with them because for some reason in Factorio universe, a car's boot has the most storage space you can construct.
Pages: 1 ... 59 60 [61] 62 63 ... 76