Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Reattaching limbs  (Read 16003 times)

Boea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Reattaching limbs
« Reply #30 on: February 17, 2013, 08:44:24 am »

Elves, and goblins would.

Dwarves, how long do they live, and how long does it take for something to regrow. :v

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 17, 2013, 09:34:07 am »

I'd just like to point out that saying that nerves can regrow is something like saying you can swim to Africa--technically true, but not practically so.

While limb atrophy and nerves slowly regrowing to fill out the network sounds neat, I don't think more than one or two dwarves, period, would be likely to benefit from it.

It is important for the sake of a few aspects such as healing minor brain injuries. As well as for non-dwarves who may have regeneration or Dwarves who have somehow been given the ability to regenerate.

Though I will say there is a suggestion in allowing dwarves to come up with medical proceedures based around magically obtained abilities.

So if a dwarf has regeneration, should the game allow Dwarves to develop limb reattachment?

Boea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 17, 2013, 09:44:35 am »

At least let the dwarves try anyways, it would be a funny thing to do, especially on the off chance that it works. [Though results may vary with [regenerate], [no_age] or [fast_heal] species, or entites.]

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 17, 2013, 12:20:35 pm »

At least let the dwarves try anyways, it would be a funny thing to do, especially on the off chance that it works. [Though results may vary with [regenerate], [no_age] or [fast_heal] species, or entites.]

Ehhhh, unless it is thematically important (for example if religious medical proceedures that don't do anything existed, folk remedies that don't work, or medical procedures based off of incorrect information...) I am sort of against "terrible things for terrible sake"

Alu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 24, 2013, 04:20:57 am »

Which century exactly were the battles between dwarfs and goblins? 15th? Didn't read about that in history class. *coolface*

I like the idea of re-attaching arms/limbs, but as many already said, it should be extremely hard and probably require magic.
So maybe a legendary suturer requires some sort of magic salve to reconnect muscle strings.
"He admired a wonderful Trap lately"

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 24, 2013, 05:35:58 am »

I like the idea of re-attaching arms/limbs, but as many already said, it should be extremely hard and probably require magic.
So maybe a legendary suturer requires some sort of magic salve to reconnect muscle strings.
Golden salve, perhaps?
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Shadowgandor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 24, 2013, 10:07:54 am »

I'm surprised no one mentioned using lava to melt the loose ends together. What happened to the applying lava to everything is the solution mentality of Bay12? ???

Helari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 24, 2013, 11:10:44 am »

it should be extremely hard and probably require magic.

quite the contrary, it should be extremely EASY with magic, but magic should be rarer.

loose nut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 28, 2013, 05:53:21 pm »

My feeling is that the state of the medical art being what it is in the 12th-16th centuryish level that DF is situated in, removing limbs should be a much more common curative technique than reattaching them. :P DF docs are insufficiently quacky as it is.

Spy227X

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 02, 2013, 02:02:55 pm »

What about necromancers reattaching limbs?
Is this freshwater or saltwater? Because alternatively you could breed a large amount of crocodiles and unleash them into the waters... indirect genocide.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 05, 2013, 01:28:08 pm »

I'd just like to point out that saying that nerves can regrow is something like saying you can swim to Africa--technically true, but not practically so.
While limb atrophy and nerves slowly regrowing to fill out the network sounds neat, I don't think more than one or two dwarves, period, would be likely to benefit from it.
It is important for the sake of a few aspects such as healing minor brain injuries.
Well, yes, healing brain damage is important, but it doesn't involve limbs.

As well as for non-dwarves who may have regeneration or Dwarves who have somehow been given the ability to regenerate.
That goes without saying I suppose it needs saying.
That goes.

So if a dwarf has regeneration, should the game allow Dwarves to develop limb reattachment?
If the whole civ has enough of them over enough time, why not?

Seriously, why does it have to be legendary this and legendary that?

I'm surprised no one mentioned using lava to melt the loose ends together. What happened to the applying lava to everything is the solution mentality of Bay12? ???
Necro got banned. Without him, the meme faded.

it should be extremely hard and probably require magic.
quite the contrary, it should be extremely EASY with magic, but magic should be rarer.
It depends on the magic, and on how you define "easy."

My feeling is that the state of the medical art being what it is in the 12th-16th centuryish level that DF is situated in, removing limbs should be a much more common curative technique than reattaching them. :P DF docs are insufficiently quacky as it is.
...implying that amputation is an ineffective medical technique?

What about necromancers reattaching limbs?
Well, such a construct would involve A.) stitching the arm back on and B.) reanimating it. It would have several counterproductive qualities, such as infecting the part of the remputee where the arm was attached, not working on other limbs, and of course having a violent antipathy for life in general.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.
Pages: 1 2 [3]