Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7

Author Topic: Alternative (RAW-defined) Reproduction  (Read 15033 times)

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
Re: Alternative (RAW-defined) Reproduction
« Reply #75 on: February 11, 2013, 01:02:45 pm »

True, but when the words used by the scientist are chosen explicitly because of their descriptive meaning, that argument falls apart.  EG, the word "echinoderm" was chosen explicitly because of how it describes the appearance of sea urchins.

No other reason.

In this case, the scientist is doing exactly what you just lambasted; redefining words to suit his own purposes, without accepting criticism for doing so outside his own specialty.

Much like the candybar example I used previously.

(taxonomy is far older than Darwin. Darwin's major contribution was to show that one animal slowly becomes another over time, and that as such, many creatures that look dissimilar are in fact related. This was not accepted well by the biologists of the time, because it redefined how creatures were classified, as well as called into question certain religious beliefs. Because the biologists had already invested a considerable amount of effort into creating their own lexicon, after Darwin, (and later, genetic testing), the definitions were simply changed to keep the names intact. This is why "mammal" no longer means what it used to mean as a descriptive adjective, and now means something completely different, which requires insider knowledge. [nowhere in the etymological chain is a 4 chambered heart, and being endothermic even close to described.] Essentially, rather than rename everything to suit their new conventions, they simply chose to redefine a whole lot of words to suit those conventions, and did so of their own volition, and thus have established jargon in its truest sense. Jargon is defined as words that are incomprehensible to most people-- in this case, the "correct" usage being demanded here is exactly that; usage that defies any contextual clues about its meaning through established and still widely used prefix and suffix use, and ultimately sounding like complete gibberish outside of their collective bubble. If, in 100 years time, "american english" ceases to be used as a primary language and becomes "dead", then the very mal-appropriation of "candybar" I conjectured would be a dead ringer fit. The specious argument of "We created that word by shoehorning words together!(therefor it means whatever we want it to mean!)" does not whisk away the origins of those words, nor does it whisk away the reality that native speakers of that dead language also created and used neologisms as well. (Compare, "I Say that a "Toothtickler" is a species of caterpillar, and that it has nothing to do whatsoever with tickling teeth! Nobody was around to tell me that is wrong, so therefor I am right!") This is further damned by their own neologisms being in the same character as those used by the native speakers in antiquity. "Pyrotechnica" being a good example. The argument that "Nobody uses that language anymore, so it's OK for us to misuse it as we see fit" is fundamentally faulted, and reeks of hubris. The assertion that I am using these words incorrectly is therefor a serious intellectual sin, because the definition being demanded under all circumstances was itself created through abusing and misusing language-- albeit, a dead one, chosen specifically so that nobody could object-- and is thus guilty of exactly the same "crime" it seeks to correct, making it a hypocrisy. (EG, "We stole that word first! It means what WE SAY it means!")

(as such, No recantation will be forthcoming.)

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: February 13, 2013, 05:58:26 pm »

OK, pointless conversation is pointless.  Even if one of you is conclusively proven wrong, it doesn't really change anything of value but the term we use to describe a magic meatball.

(Incidentally, anyone else have the urge to set up teams of warhammer-wielding dwarves that play fleshball croquet?)

Unless someone wants to talk about some method of reproduction, this thread is now (once again) about raw-modifiable courtship rituals. 

I actually mentioned the notion I had about goblins (with a single "great goblin" that has a harem, whether they are male or female) because of the oddly gender-blind way in which DF generally works. A "take-what-you-want-by-force" society in fantasy always tends to be male-dominated with males gathering a hoard of females like slaves that are basically never shown at all in most fantasy, since it completely wouldn't do to have characters you might find in a pitiable or sympathetic position among the race you're supposed to hate. 

Having occasional female goblins that are like amazon queens sitting there equal to the male warlords because they just plain demonstrate the combat prowess to accumulate male lackeys by force of arms without any sort of gender discrimination - just pure judgment of military might is kind of the thing that makes DF a bit different.

Especially if we eventually have human cultures with gender segregation, it would be amusing to see Goblins say that even if you call their ethics "evil", theirs are at least "fair".  The rules are clear, might makes right, and that's really how all your hypocritical social structures are formed in the first place - the people at the top are just the children of the people who had the might to enforce their social stratification in the first place.  (At which point they go back to torturing the weak for fun because, hey, they're the strong, and they have that right.)

At the same time, no, I don't think goblins would get "married" exactly, either.  They'd merely have those who were in their entourage that were of their preferred gender.  Among these, they might be pitted against one another to fight for supremacy within their own sub-groups, and only the strongest of these would be allowed to breed with the top goblin.  (And they, in turn, might get a pick of even weaker goblins in the entourage for off-time mating.) If you turn the whole "might makes right" idea into a sort of fetish, the goblins would be uninterested in the weak when it came to mating, only be interested in being with those as strong as they could possibly be with (even if it meant being the one submitting to one stronger than themselves).

Any time a goblin wanted to add to their following, they'd have to single-handedly defeat (through non-lethal combat) any who they wanted to join their entourage plus any in their entourage who wanted to challenge the top goblin for their freedom at the same time.  (So that a goblin who wanted to have a large entourage would have to be capable of either convincing their followers to stay willing followers or else be capable of beating down dozens of combatants single-handedly.)

Goblin society would be thus stratified into a pecking order of combat prowess with a few top goblins and a chain of command of mid goblins controlling sub-entourages of lesser goblins. 

This could have an effect on all of goblin society, as well, as it would mean that the top goblins would be the ones choosing what the lesser goblins were doing, and could basically force the lesser goblins to care for their own offspring (if they were female higher-ranking goblins) while they could focus on their own political games. (With orders to be tough on them, but not to actually kill them. If they abused the children out of frustration for having to take care of them, then it would just toughen the goblin up, anyway.  It's like naming a boy "Sue".) Politics and family would basically be the same thing.

Elves, likewise, I'm not sure would be marrying in exactly the same sense, either, since I see them as even more a bunch of happy communists than even the dwarves are. 

Rather than throwing their children off on a subordinate, they'd have some communal daycare, and druid-assigned jobs/castes and an otherwise fairly free love atmosphere.  (Since apparently, princesses can have relations with goblins without even her supposed mate getting mad about anything as much as the fact that she favored a goblin more than him, when he thought of himself as such a great lover.)
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Boea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: February 13, 2013, 06:14:03 pm »

Flesh Balls, how about they mate like those Oviparous Dumplings from Edmund McMillen's Badlands, for example, which is problematic considering the possible size constraints of the caves they dwell... eh, semantics.

So what does that make dominant-matriarch species like hyenas then? Just, recall that the dominance structure isn't entirely patriarchal, while I regret my apathy towards the subject..
Anyways, the lesser goblins, they'd mostly congregate as satellite groups around the bottom or middle ranks, and spawn more fodder, if anything, or if allowed. But that would mean usually the goblins would at that point be a sort of mutually-armistice counsel- more interesting to me than a singular king. The 'king', could simply be a special military force that are controlled directly by the hypothetical counsel.

Elves, I would suppose are communal, it could be a sort of mentor-apprentice sort of thing when they get into post-childhood rearing.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: February 13, 2013, 06:33:13 pm »

So what does that make dominant-matriarch species like hyenas then? Just, recall that the dominance structure isn't entirely patriarchal, while I regret my apathy towards the subject..

"Also a silly ritual of weakling races that are sometimes found to be tasty.  The strong are the strong.  Any other system is letting some weak ones survive to get to the top."

But hyenas, lions, etc. are all matriarchal with much the same method of obtaining dominance.  Males have to defeat challengers to maintain their alpha status or be exiled.  Females only get to mate if they are alphas within their own pack/pride/whatever.  Lower-ranked, weaker females do not mate, and have to stay home taking care of the alpha's kids while the alpha female goes out to actually provide for the family.

Anyways, the lesser goblins, they'd mostly congregate as satellite groups around the bottom or middle ranks, and spawn more fodder, if anything, or if allowed. But that would mean usually the goblins would at that point be a sort of mutually-armistice counsel- more interesting to me than a singular king. The 'king', could simply be a special military force that are controlled directly by the hypothetical counsel.

That's sort of the point - it's kind of rare for someone to be strong enough to totally unite everyone behind themselves.  Either you're a demon, or you're a seriously proficient goblin who has some sort of edge, like a magic weapon that they can actually use in the duels, or else simply has the ability to murder the competition.  (I would expect this would be dissuaded by having each higher-up surround themselves with lower-ranking goblins that might alert them to assassins under threat that they would be killed or worse if their current master were assassinated by either their new master or their next-up-in-line.)
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Randy Gnoman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: February 14, 2013, 03:42:03 pm »

In terms of changes to the marriage dynamic, I think more sophisticated systems could definitely be fun- especially if they include divorce and remarriage.  I like when notable dwarves in my fortress have babies, and it's very discouraging when the titanically powerful guard captain is still pining for the lover he lost six years ago to an ambush.

One could even conceive of a noble with the responsibility of arranging marriages, to give the player fine control over who's making babies.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: February 14, 2013, 03:49:43 pm »

Aside from the most overtly authoritarian dictatorships or cults, having direct control over who gets married to who would probably be a little over-the-top.

Having more of a capacity to arrange for parties and invite specific people together (a dance for couples or something, and make sure the others are already coupled-off such as by being married) that may hit it off or something might be a little more reasonable outside of mass state-arranged marriage ceremonies.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Randy Gnoman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: February 14, 2013, 04:29:54 pm »

Aside from the most overtly authoritarian dictatorships or cults, having direct control over who gets married to who would probably be a little over-the-top.

Having more of a capacity to arrange for parties and invite specific people together (a dance for couples or something, and make sure the others are already coupled-off such as by being married) that may hit it off or something might be a little more reasonable outside of mass state-arranged marriage ceremonies.
Weren't you suggesting just a few posts ago that goblins should have a mating system based on violence? :P

Arranged marriage can be a step down from forced marriage, while still a step up from putting people in the same room and hoping they hit it off.  You could have someone with a matchmaker responsibility, who the player can use to 'match' a lucky couple.  If it's acceptable to them (i.e., they aren't grudging, and could even conceivably become lovers in a more random setting) they get hitched, without the hassle of all of that falling in love nonsense.

This is not so different from how lots of societies have handled marriages, especially important marriages.  It might look like an authoritarian way of going about it, but the members of societies which use arranged marriage have all sorts of reasons for accepting it.  The matchmaker is reputed to be very wise, is supposed to have the best interest of prospective matches in mind, and their word carries the weight of tradition.  And there could be circumstances under which prospectives refuse:  for example, if they're grudging, or of grossly disparate ages.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: February 14, 2013, 04:40:57 pm »

Weren't you suggesting just a few posts ago that goblins should have a mating system based on violence? :P

Your point?   ;D

Thing is, the king didn't usually handle the marriages of anyone outside their own family... and the goblin method of coupling I just talked about was based upon their own principles, and "fair" as far as their society goes. 

If a king arranges marriages of his own children to his own political advantage, that's pretty normal, as is having a family patriarch arrange marriages for their own children - but you're not every patriarch (and dwarves are pretty gender-neutral about things) so it wouldn't make sense for you to handle anything outside of the top noble you were supposed to be representing as a player.

If you were talking about a matchmaking noble that could honestly force two people to get married, it would be a question of the culture's trust in whatever aspect of fate the matchmaker was (at least, supposedly) calling upon.  An elven formal marriage system based upon doing whatever the forest spirit says might make some sense (in between rampant cheating...) but I wonder if that's how dwarves would behave.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: February 15, 2013, 03:09:18 pm »

I don't consider it any more improper than the word "pyrotechnic", which means "Fire technique". Pyrotechnics does not always involve explosive components. Whirling around flaming sticks like at a hawaiian party also qualifies.
The difference is that "pyrotechnic" is used that way by people other than you. (Or, at the least, it is in common enough use that I have heard many other people use it, while your use of "gastropod" is one I have never heard before.)

I provided a purely linguistic rationale, that you have not very effectively countered, but still expect a recantation on.
I hardly think that I've "not very effectively countered" it. The simple fact is, "gastropod" does not and never has meant "crawls around," and the method you used to create that meaning is quite flawed, to the point where anything that generates acid would be considered oxygen...not to mention that your useage is more easily applied to snakes than flesh balls (since snakes have actual stomachs). No matter how I've phrased it, that's what I meant.

I asserted that the method of use was not the method you ascribed to it, which is the source of the error in your argument.
Oh?

Compare:  Asserting that a certain shade of deep blue is "Cobalt blue", when the pigment does not contain cobalt. The pedant will assert that calling it cobalt blue is erroneous, and be partially correct. His insistence that the person calling the cobalt free pigment "Cobalt blue" cease doing so, because it causes confusion, is completely missing the point that "Cobalt blue" is a color descriptor, not a descriptor of its composition.
The difference is, "cobalt blue" is in common use. And it doesn't really have a different meaning.

In this case, I was referring to a fictional creature that has only one major body organ composed entirely of muscle, which is able to contract much the same way a mollusc's "Foot" does, as being a gastropod, referring explicitly to the descriptive nature of the word, and not any specific meaning found in biological jargon.
No, it really doesn't.
A. A flesh ball's "foot," as you insist on calling it, is more like the body of a cnidarian than any part of a mollusk of any kind, in part because the flesh ball is its own separate creature. In addition, a flesh ball could never be considered any kind of mollusk, because it lacks vital characteristics that gastropods and other mollusks have, such as mantles, sense organs, shells, ganglia, tissue layers, or, you know, organs.
B. Last I checked, "foot" typically applied to a separate organ which was used to move, not a whole body. Heck, by your logic, a worm could be considered a foot.

Essentially, you are being this guy:

There's an xkcd for everyone and -thing, isn't there?

and I grow weary of your insistence.
And I of yours.

I am willing to agree that the use is unusual, and even unexpected. I still hold however that it is not functionally nor technically wrong to use it in that fashion, as I can find no argument against it other than an appeal to authority logical fallacy.
EG, "No scientist uses that word that way, therefor your use of that word in that fashion is incorrect."
Unless you can come up with something that does not revolve around a false precondition as an argument, I will not recant, and you are simply wasting everyone's time trying to force the issue.
...We're talking about words.
Specifically, scientific, taxonomic words.
When the subject in discussion is a human construct, then an appeal to an authority is not a fallacy if the authority in question is an authority because of his mastery of the field which defined and invented that construct. It would be like arguing that an "automobile" is anything that moves entirely on its own and ignoring the testimony of engineers and mechanics, or debating the use of the term "habeus corpus" and ignoring lawyers.

True, but when the words used by the scientist are chosen explicitly because of their descriptive meaning, that argument falls apart.  EG, the word "echinoderm" was chosen explicitly because of how it describes the appearance of sea urchins.
No other reason.
In this case, the scientist is doing exactly what you just lambasted; redefining words to suit his own purposes, without accepting criticism for doing so outside his own specialty.
However, now that the word has been invented, it has a meaning, so you can't arbitrarily assign a new one to it and expect people to agree with you.

Much like the candybar example I used previously.
Which one was that, again? The one where all candy bars were chocolate and therefore no non-chocolate bars could be considered candy bars?
The one that was riddled with logical holes because inhabitants of that world would be more justified in not calling non-chocolate bars candy bars than we would be in not calling dogs "perros"?

(taxonomy is far older than Darwin. Darwin's major contribution was to show that one animal slowly becomes another over time, and that as such, many creatures that look dissimilar are in fact related. This was not accepted well by the biologists of the time, because it redefined how creatures were classified, as well as called into question certain religious beliefs. Because the biologists had already invested a considerable amount of effort into creating their own lexicon, after Darwin, (and later, genetic testing), the definitions were simply changed to keep the names intact. This is why "mammal" no longer means what it used to mean as a descriptive adjective, and now means something completely different, which requires insider knowledge. [nowhere in the etymological chain is a 4 chambered heart, and being endothermic even close to described.] Essentially, rather than rename everything to suit their new conventions, they simply chose to redefine a whole lot of words to suit those conventions, and did so of their own volition, and thus have established jargon in its truest sense. Jargon is defined as words that are incomprehensible to most people-- in this case, the "correct" usage being demanded here is exactly that; usage that defies any contextual clues about its meaning through established and still widely used prefix and suffix use, and ultimately sounding like complete gibberish outside of their collective bubble. If, in 100 years time, "american english" ceases to be used as a primary language and becomes "dead", then the very mal-appropriation of "candybar" I conjectured would be a dead ringer fit. The specious argument of "We created that word by shoehorning words together!(therefor it means whatever we want it to mean!)" does not whisk away the origins of those words, nor does it whisk away the reality that native speakers of that dead language also created and used neologisms as well. (Compare, "I Say that a "Toothtickler" is a species of caterpillar, and that it has nothing to do whatsoever with tickling teeth! Nobody was around to tell me that is wrong, so therefor I am right!") This is further damned by their own neologisms being in the same character as those used by the native speakers in antiquity. "Pyrotechnica" being a good example. The argument that "Nobody uses that language anymore, so it's OK for us to misuse it as we see fit" is fundamentally faulted, and reeks of hubris. The assertion that I am using these words incorrectly is therefor a serious intellectual sin, because the definition being demanded under all circumstances was itself created through abusing and misusing language-- albeit, a dead one, chosen specifically so that nobody could object-- and is thus guilty of exactly the same "crime" it seeks to correct, making it a hypocrisy. (EG, "We stole that word first! It means what WE SAY it means!")
Explain how this is relevant. And maybe use a magical device called the Enter key a bit more often.

Are you saying that because scientists can change the definition of words to suit new paradigms, anyone can use any word to mean anything? Because that makes no logical sense.

OK, pointless conversation is pointless.  Even if one of you is conclusively proven wrong, it doesn't really change anything of value but the term we use to describe a magic meatball.
We're discussing linguistics, not taxonomy.
And while it is pointless, I kinda already typed several piecewise responses...

Unless someone wants to talk about some method of reproduction, this thread is now (once again) about raw-modifiable courtship rituals. 
No objections here.

I actually mentioned the notion I had about goblins (with a single "great goblin" that has a harem, whether they are male or female) because of the oddly gender-blind way in which DF generally works. A "take-what-you-want-by-force" society in fantasy always tends to be male-dominated with males gathering a hoard of females like slaves that are basically never shown at all in most fantasy, since it completely wouldn't do to have characters you might find in a pitiable or sympathetic position among the race you're supposed to hate. 

Having occasional female goblins that are like amazon queens sitting there equal to the male warlords because they just plain demonstrate the combat prowess to accumulate male lackeys by force of arms without any sort of gender discrimination - just pure judgment of military might is kind of the thing that makes DF a bit different.
Just to point out, there is a (semi-)logical reason as to why polygamy is so much more common than polyandry: A man can have more kids with more wives, but a woman has the same cap on kids regardless of the number of husbands she has. Relatedly, in many species males are larger and stronger than females (both because they are more "expendable" for mating purposes, meaning they get volunteered for dangerous things like hunting, and for competition with other males), which gives them an advantage in the kinds of competitions many earlier cultures may have used to determine their leader, as well as less...formal ways of gaining power (it's easier for a big guy to bash in the old leader's head than it is for a smaller woman to do so).
So...yeah. Matriarchies are probably a good idea, but I doubt that they'd be 50-50 with patriarchies.

Especially if we eventually have human cultures with gender segregation, it would be amusing to see Goblins say that even if you call their ethics "evil", theirs are at least "fair".  The rules are clear, might makes right, and that's really how all your hypocritical social structures are formed in the first place - the people at the top are just the children of the people who had the might to enforce their social stratification in the first place.  (At which point they go back to torturing the weak for fun because, hey, they're the strong, and they have that right.)
Agreed.

-snip-
This stuff sounds neat, but I don't know if it should be part of the Standard Goblin Package.

Goblin society would be thus stratified into a pecking order of combat prowess with a few top goblins and a chain of command of mid goblins controlling sub-entourages of lesser goblins.

This could have an effect on all of goblin society, as well, as it would mean that the top goblins would be the ones choosing what the lesser goblins were doing, and could basically force the lesser goblins to care for their own offspring (if they were female higher-ranking goblins) while they could focus on their own political games. (With orders to be tough on them, but not to actually kill them. If they abused the children out of frustration for having to take care of them, then it would just toughen the goblin up, anyway.  It's like naming a boy "Sue".) Politics and family would basically be the same thing.
While that does sound good and gobliny, there's other ways goblins could do that as well.

Elves, likewise, I'm not sure would be marrying in exactly the same sense, either, since I see them as even more a bunch of happy communists than even the dwarves are. 
Rather than throwing their children off on a subordinate, they'd have some communal daycare, and druid-assigned jobs/castes and an otherwise fairly free love atmosphere.  (Since apparently, princesses can have relations with goblins without even her supposed mate getting mad about anything as much as the fact that she favored a goblin more than him, when he thought of himself as such a great lover.)
I see elves as having cultural elements more commonly associated with great apes of various sorts, but perhaps pacified a tad. So...free love, perhaps, creches, probably no.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: February 15, 2013, 04:17:53 pm »

[If pointless argument is pointless, why argue and refuse stalemate as an option? I have conceded that the use is "irregular", which is essentially the basis of your whole argument. I refuse to concede that it is "incorrect" when used in an INFORMAL capacity, which what you refuse to accept a concession on, despite many other example neologisms of similar origin. Argument about the lack of unnecessary paragraph structure is a nonsequitor. You are now past merely being argumentative, and into the realm of trolling, having dredeged up the rgument again out of refusal to even contemplate a alternative point of view on the matter, after being asked politely by others to drop it. I don't deal with trolls. Feel free to drag it out some more, as I will no longer respond to this line of communication on this subject, and it will only serve to prove my point for me when you do so.]

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: February 15, 2013, 04:29:54 pm »

[If pointless argument is pointless, why argue and refuse stalemate as an option? I have conceded that the use is "irregular", which is essentially the basis of your whole argument. I refuse to concede that it is "incorrect" when used in an INFORMAL capacity, which what you refuse to accept a concession on, despite many other example neologisms of similar origin. Argument about the lack of unnecessary paragraph structure is a nonsequitor. You are now past merely being argumentative, and into the realm of trolling, having dredeged up the rgument again out of refusal to even contemplate a alternative point of view on the matter, after being asked politely by others to drop it. I don't deal with trolls. Feel free to drag it out some more, as I will no longer respond to this line of communication on this subject, and it will only serve to prove my point for me when you do so.]
One: I had already typed the argument. I didn't want to waste it...and it's also right.
Two: There's informal, and then there's random. Your use of gastropod fell into the latter category.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: February 15, 2013, 06:30:17 pm »

One: I had already typed the argument. I didn't want to waste it...and it's also right.
Two: There's informal, and then there's random. Your use of gastropod fell into the latter category.

QED.

Next topic.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: February 15, 2013, 11:02:12 pm »

Letting die the argument that won't die...

Just to point out, there is a (semi-)logical reason as to why polygamy is so much more common than polyandry: A man can have more kids with more wives, but a woman has the same cap on kids regardless of the number of husbands she has. Relatedly, in many species males are larger and stronger than females (both because they are more "expendable" for mating purposes, meaning they get volunteered for dangerous things like hunting, and for competition with other males), which gives them an advantage in the kinds of competitions many earlier cultures may have used to determine their leader, as well as less...formal ways of gaining power (it's easier for a big guy to bash in the old leader's head than it is for a smaller woman to do so).
So...yeah. Matriarchies are probably a good idea, but I doubt that they'd be 50-50 with patriarchies.

OK, where to start?

I guess, first, the female is actually far more frequently the larger of the two sexes (or the same size as males) for almost every form of creature but mammals.

Basically, all that you just said here?  You're projecting what humans, and maybe a few other apex predator mammals do onto all of the animal kingdom. 

With, say, spiders, the female spider will be two or three times the size of a typical male of their species.  That's because the female has to be capable of storing the amount of food it takes to give birth to hundreds, if not thousands of eggs, while the male only has to be large enough to carry a little sperm, and can otherwise focus upon energy-efficiency. 

Ovipositors with large clutch sizes can also use this for effective polyandry, as well.  (And technically, polygamy can involve multiple marriages of any gender, polygyny involves multiple wives.) Cuttlefish females, for example, will accept sperm from one male that fights off its rivals with sheer strength for some of its eggs, and then accept sperm from another male that uses its camouflage technique effectively to trick the brute into thinking it's another female in its harem, letting the more clever and adaptive male fertilize some of her other eggs. 

In fact, part of the reason for the need for a concept like "marriage" in a species, seen at its most extreme among birds, is when young are born at extremely limited rates, and require so much care and nurturing that a single parent cannot effectively raise young on their own. 

With penguins, for example, the females lay eggs and hatch them, then leave the males to guard and nurse their young for months while the females go out to hunt for food... many males starve because they can't leave the young to go hunt without killing their young. 

With crocodiles, comparatively, females bury their eggs and forget about them, and the male never needs to see the female again after mating, either. 

Considering as the whole point of this thread is to bring into the discussion alternative means of reproduction, limiting ourselves to just the human way of doing things is counter-productive, especially since we have things like frog men that are literally frogs that were magically turned humanoid.  It makes more sense to assume that they still follow many of the courtship rituals of frogs than those of humans unless you can cite specific reasoning for why they shouldn't. 

Serpent-people of the various sorts, for example, might take after their serpentine models and have females much larger than the males, time their courtship and mating to the winter hibernation, where snakes communally hibernate to conserve warmth with one another, vie for mates via attractive pheromones, dances and color patterns, wrestling... or they could just go for an orgy with the female.

This stuff sounds neat, but I don't know if it should be part of the Standard Goblin Package.

[...]
While that does sound good and gobliny, there's other ways goblins could do that as well.

[...]

I see elves as having cultural elements more commonly associated with great apes of various sorts, but perhaps pacified a tad. So...free love, perhaps, creches, probably no.

Your arguments here are too vague to convey any meaning: Why wouldn't you want them to be part of the goblin standard package? What alternatives are you referring to? How do you see elves like great apes, and why not creches?
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Randy Gnoman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: February 16, 2013, 11:50:53 am »

Cuttlefish females, for example, will accept sperm from one male that fights off its rivals with sheer strength for some of its eggs, and then accept sperm from another male that uses its camouflage technique effectively to trick the brute into thinking it's another female in its harem, letting the more clever and adaptive male fertilize some of her other eggs. 

Just as a sidenote:  this is easily my favorite natural mating strategy.  It's not like there's one big scary male to sneak past- there's a thick, violent ring of big scary males around a nucleus of females.  They're all kicking the crap out of each other:  it's a massive underwater bar fight.  And the small guys, who don't stand a chance?  Some of them just dress like girls and sneak into the middle- and the females, which can selectively fertilize their eggs, show a preference for the transvestite males.  Which they should.  Because those guys are awesome.

Your point?   

Thing is, the king didn't usually handle the marriages of anyone outside their own family... and the goblin method of coupling I just talked about was based upon their own principles, and "fair" as far as their society goes.

I thought you were sort of projecting modern liberal values- which are great, and which I share- that consider arranged marriage to be authoritarian and objectionable, and which would consider a society that used arranged marriage to be excessively dictatorial.  And which, obviously, don't apply to gobbo society. :P

I don't think that should necessarily apply to dwarven society, either- which, after all, uses beatings to punish workers for failing to fulfill a work order from a noble.  It's got an old-school system of justice and social division:  the nobles get annoyed if the peasants' accommodations are too nice.

And I wasn't saying the king should do it:  I was saying a matchmaker would be a fun and useful addition to nobles.

If a king arranges marriages of his own children to his own political advantage, that's pretty normal, as is having a family patriarch arrange marriages for their own children - but you're not every patriarch (and dwarves are pretty gender-neutral about things) so it wouldn't make sense for you to handle anything outside of the top noble you were supposed to be representing as a player.

If you were talking about a matchmaking noble that could honestly force two people to get married, it would be a question of the culture's trust in whatever aspect of fate the matchmaker was (at least, supposedly) calling upon.  An elven formal marriage system based upon doing whatever the forest spirit says might make some sense (in between rampant cheating...) but I wonder if that's how dwarves would behave.

The king is probably also not ordering every dig designation, or micromanaging which trees to cut and which not to.  I'm not sure the player does represent any specific monarch- they're just a controlling entity in the fortress.  How their orders manifest in the world is up to the player- usually they represent themselves as an overseer, but often they externalize some choices, roleplaying that the miners decided to dig a tunnel, or the mason decided to make more statues.

And if I have an awesome woodcutter-carpenter team, I'd love to be able to arrange a marriage between the two so that they can share a bedroom near the carpenter's shop and wood supply- both because it's logistically useful, and allows me to create a better narrative than the fairly random matches that occur now.  Matching a champion to my unmarried baroness as their consort rather than a fish cleaner, or putting together dwarves in similar careers, these would be nice things.  We could set up a narrative in which a dwarven baroness will only take as her consort a dwarf who slays a titan and recovers a lost artifact, or marry off all of the militia with priority so that they get to the business of having children and ensuring their posterity before risking their lives in battle.

Lots of societies have had lots of different priorites for marriage, and I think a matchmaker noble (even one that respected personal preference to the degree that grudging or fundamentally incompatable dwarves couldn't be forced to marry) would be a great tool for helping players to implement whatever their vision for marriage might be.

Boea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: February 16, 2013, 11:02:16 pm »

Yes, dwarves would marry someone just so that they can get at their wood. [cue elf joke]

And when it comes to matchmaking, I sincerely hope it's not going to become a reboot of the anti-noble movements, or the "Chasing the Elusive Mermaid" movement.. where people pass outcry at their high tiered dwarves becoming lazy from becoming consorts, or people now trying to actively breed their top workers like the merfolk, more than ever, of many ultimo ago. [Needless to say, it'd be worth another thread, and another laugh in the name of fiery entertainment, and volatile science]
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7