Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: A more dangerous world, please?  (Read 3604 times)

LaikaBauss

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
A more dangerous world, please?
« on: January 30, 2013, 07:45:26 am »

Hey.

I have been wondering how could i make some really dangerous world to make a fortress in. Like, millions of megabeasts, titans, and lots of those night creatures and such.

You see, in one year of playing dwarf fortress, i only lost once. To HFS. And well, i just didnt dig all that again. Now for every time i play (2 forts), i get to be almost-mountainhome (king bugs sometimes) and my fortress is soooo damn powerfull, playing is just pointless. There is no true danger.

Then i go to the wiki and see stuff like, really powerfull.

I have never seen a dragon. Nor a titan, a ciclops, a werewolf, giant scorpion or elephants.

Even when enbarking on a savage place ( i generally choose untamed wilds, or terrifying ) all i come across is giant birds and sometimes badgers. And goblins.

So i feel like mssing a part of the game. And i think it is possible to do this kind of mod, because, well, DF is really maleable.

Torchy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: A more dangerous world, please?
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2013, 07:54:08 am »

Go play on a terrifying glacier with husking clouds and ambient reanimation.

Bring lube

rex mortis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2013, 08:05:41 am »

It is possible to adjust megabeast, titan and forgotten beast numbers in world generation options.

You might also want to take a look at the modding forum to see if somebody has modded what you want already. No need to reinvent the wheel.
Because death is peaceful and magma is lovely.

LaikaBauss

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2013, 08:59:37 am »

Right now im making hermit mode on a freezing evil glacier.

Gotta check modding forum now

ty guyz

Aerie

• Bay Watcher
  • Mae fy hofrenfad yn llawn llyswennod.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2013, 12:14:11 pm »

Now for every time i play (2 forts), i get to be almost-mountainhome (king bugs sometimes) and my fortress is soooo damn powerfull, playing is just pointless. There is no true danger.

So? Dwarf Fortress isn't really so much a game as it is a simulation program. Who said there has to be danger or a point to playing?

If you really want a sense of risk or danger, take up voluntary challenges.
Play my forum game, The Darkness Below!

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2013, 01:09:15 pm »

Go play on a terrifying glacier with husking clouds and ambient reanimation.

Bring lube

And then construct your fortress in hell.

Demons will reanimate endlessly on their own.

simonthedwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • ¤Death¤
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2013, 02:23:28 pm »

Send me a PM, I have some great suggestions for how to help you, and no it's not "grow strawberries in hell".

Quote from: Syndic
Sentry towers, manned by orang-utangs./quote]

Tevish Szat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:diabolical schemes]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2013, 02:43:50 pm »

Advanced world paramaters.

Amp requested evil, drop requested good
Increase minimum savagery and/or set savagery to be weighted towards high.
Increase the number of caves vastly of all kinds
Increase the X and Y variance for all traits (this will gen a patchwork world with many biomes) and request a huge load of titans (you get at most 1/biome)
Increase the number of curses, secrets, night creature types, evil clouds, evil rains and so on

This is important: Stop worldgen in year 2 so megabeasts don't die.
Embark with most or all of your squares covered by an evil biome -- preferably a Terrifying (Savage+Evil) one.  For extra fun, take a glacier, an aquifer, and/or a coast.  A beach embark with no trees and evil land on the banks of a terrifying sea might lead to having to deal with giant sperm whale thralls if you're lucky.
Tap all three cavern layers and the Forgotten Beasts will come, too.

If you're good at modding, you can edit the raws so that dragons have skin made of Slade and semimegas like ettins and cyclopses possess high (possibly even legendary) combat skills innatley.  You could even take some normal creature (perhaps a semimega, but if you like fun, something common and innocuous) and make it stun-proof, feel no pain, have no biological needs or vital organs, fly, possess an intense hatred of all life, avoid traps, destroy buildings, like fighting, enrage frequently in combat, and possess a deadly dust attack that produces instantaneous necrosis of the brain.
A medium-sized humanoid fond of fantasy and science-fiction.

Tevish Szat likes books, computers, board games, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, he prefers to consume hamburgers and macaroni and cheese. He needs caffeine to get through the working day.

simonthedwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • ¤Death¤
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2013, 03:46:01 pm »

I think he wants more megabeasts and semi-megabeasts and the most optimal worldgen settings for that. I would be interested in hearing that too, because other than the year 2 thing I havent gotten great results.
Quote from: Syndic
Sentry towers, manned by orang-utangs./quote]

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2013, 08:23:20 pm »

I think you can get more megabeasts by increasing the number of megabeast and semimegabeast caves, each one adds a beast to live there, and adding more beasts in theroy should mean they live the genocide longer.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2013, 12:52:03 am »

My next challenge (starting on Friday) will feature a 50 Titan/FB extermination challenge.  Might be a good place to find what you're looking for, LaikaBauss.

Be careful what you wish for! :P  A Bronze Collosi + Dragon + FB made of diamond while spewing deadly dust can seriously cause you some pain.  As in wipe out a whole fortress in seconds kind of pain.

It is entirely possible to have a vanilla 34.11 world with serious constant danger and threats.  As in, goblins, kobolds, FB's, Titans, necromancers, husks, clouds of doom, rain of doom, constantly reanimating undead, damaging cold, fat-melting heat, plagues of vampires, werecreatures, hundreds of types of demons, and giant animals. 
Embarks can be so deadly that you literally have less than 100 ticks to get below ground before every member of the expedition is dead or dying horribly.  8)

« Last Edit: January 31, 2013, 12:54:58 am by vjek »

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2013, 02:23:02 am »

Mod elf blood ability to turn things into elves. That never gets old.
That or engage in some stupid dwarven tricks, like a magma-operated logic board.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Valikdu

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruin... has come to our family.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2013, 08:15:54 am »

Mod in megabeasts with spouse conversion. They'll abduct world inhabitants to reproduce, and they won't die out.

Vox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2013, 08:04:10 pm »

Treat your dwarfs with respect and kindness.
Chaos will follow.
You... You're about to weaponize chickens. You are my hero.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2013, 10:18:39 am »

The Fortress Defense II mod may be a good idea.
Pages: [1] 2