Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Stupid moods  (Read 2762 times)

PhoenixEggz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Stupid moods
« on: January 26, 2013, 10:28:19 pm »

My dwarves always get moods where I have everything they ask for, but they don't grab it and I lose them.

My current one wants bones and rocks. I have bones, I have rocks. He grabbed the bones; not the rocks.

What does he want, slade? Nevertheless, my grand master bone carver is subject to death unless he changes his mind.

This happens with nearly every important mood I get.

Argonnek

• Bay Watcher
  • Surging Forward
    • View Profile
Re: Stupid moods
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2013, 10:37:00 pm »

Do you have more bones? Maybe he needs several stacks (which has happened to me several times).

javierpwn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2013, 10:52:07 pm »

Have rock blocks be made, and for bones, slaughter ALL TEH COWS!!!!

PhoenixEggz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2013, 11:28:45 pm »

He's already dead, but more bones will be used in the future..

javierpwn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2013, 02:44:01 am »

Don't forget rock blocks, those are the most important!!

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
  • Has an ass that won't quit
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2013, 11:24:58 am »

I don't think moody dwarves ever use rock blocks in their creations. The blocks are created objects with and of themselves. Then again, they do use cut gems so I'm not certain.

Fluoman

• Bay Watcher
  • Anything the game allows.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2013, 11:59:41 am »

They do use rock blocks. See wiki for strange moods.
"hey, look, my left hand! It's only bones now, gosh, has it been that long since that cave dragon bit it off?"

RtDs!

javierpwn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2013, 12:02:21 pm »

Half the time, they don't even need stone for me, and require the blocks, and will not do anything, until they have a ridiculous amount of blocks made

Tevish Szat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:diabolical schemes]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2013, 09:38:07 pm »

Common mood problems

1) Not having something
2) Not having ENOUGH of something
3) Missing shells, vermin remains, or something else highly strange
4) Missing blocks -- for some moods, raw stones are not acceptable.
A medium-sized humanoid fond of fantasy and science-fiction.

Tevish Szat likes books, computers, board games, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, he prefers to consume hamburgers and macaroni and cheese. He needs caffeine to get through the working day.

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
  • Has an ass that won't quit
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2013, 09:43:56 pm »

I can't recall ever having a dwarf use a stone block in a mood. Maybe I just haven't been paying enough attention.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2013, 12:25:35 pm »

I can't recall ever having a dwarf use a stone block in a mood. Maybe I just haven't been paying enough attention.
You haven't been paying enough attention, then - dwarves regularly request rock blocks, often in addition to plain stone. In fact, back in the old 2D versions, rock blocks were even "special" in that they were not incorporated into the final product (the moody dwarf used them as a work surface and discarded them upon completion); when the game went 3D, that special property was dropped and rock blocks were used the same as all other mood items.

As of version 0.31, however, a request for "rock blocks" will also accept metal blocks (because of the way material organization changed); in 40d and earlier, they had to be made of stone (or ore).
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Dozus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2013, 01:59:11 pm »

As of version 0.31, however, a request for "rock blocks" will also accept metal blocks (because of the way material organization changed); in 40d and earlier, they had to be made of stone (or ore).
Glass blocks would work here too, yes?

enizer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2013, 03:52:18 pm »

personally, i watch the caravan for metal ORE blocks, like "native gold block" and buy them all.
they dont get used for normal jobs(as far as i have observed) but they DO get used for moods, where the high item value of the metal ore block helps you end up with higher value artifacts

Tevish Szat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:diabolical schemes]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2013, 04:03:11 pm »

personally, i watch the caravan for metal ORE blocks, like "native gold block" and buy them all.
they dont get used for normal jobs(as far as i have observed) but they DO get used for moods, where the high item value of the metal ore block helps you end up with higher value artifacts
I can't think of any job that uses Blocks where you don't get to select the block you use.  As far as I know, Mason's and Craftsdwarf's workshops don't make anything out of blocks, so they're for constructions or buildings (either Wells and workshops that require them, or any other building if you like)

So it's not just ore blocks that are completley safe.  I regularly buy out the block supply of human and dwarven caravans to get interesting colored constructions in fortresses choked by diorite.
A medium-sized humanoid fond of fantasy and science-fiction.

Tevish Szat likes books, computers, board games, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, he prefers to consume hamburgers and macaroni and cheese. He needs caffeine to get through the working day.

enizer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2013, 06:43:57 am »

I can't think of any job that uses Blocks where you don't get to select the block you use.  As far as I know, Mason's and Craftsdwarf's workshops don't make anything out of blocks, so they're for constructions or buildings (either Wells and workshops that require them, or any other building if you like)

So it's not just ore blocks that are completley safe.  I regularly buy out the block supply of human and dwarven caravans to get interesting colored constructions in fortresses choked by diorite.

that's a good point, i prefer when i can color code levers and what they link to, (microline lever - microline bridge) and so forth
i remember a point long ago where crafting took rocks or blocks at random, so someone reccomended i turn all stone into blocks to save space.
it seemed like pointless work to me so i didnt bother, i guess it got changed somewhere down the line

also i buy up supplies of things i dont intend to use, and just stash them out of the way somewhere.
a few zinc bars here, some silk/wool cloth there, dosnt cost too much, and saves lots of panic when moods arrive
(thread can sometimes be VERY cheap, and eventually gets made into cloth)

using DFhack to watch when moods happen, a few of those moods didnt make lead things because it was closest, occasionally the dwarf will specifically demand LEAD(Urist: stop making(possession) lead swords damnit)
stone demand are usually for boulders, but occationally blocks, just as gem demands sometimes want cut, and sometimes they insist on raw
in many cases they want some of both

edit: when i think of it yes, these days it's mostly safe from me, as i'm REALLY unlikely to decide to use those odd ore blocks for bridges and things like that
« Last Edit: January 29, 2013, 06:48:10 am by enizer »
Pages: [1] 2 3