Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 68

Author Topic: Dark Magi: TTC, Chapter 4, Update 9  (Read 46227 times)

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
Re: Dark Magi: TTC, Chapter 1, Update 16.
« Reply #255 on: February 12, 2013, 10:24:00 pm »

I was talking to Cyber.
The point was that it was a series of dick moves:
1) Removing books from the library - because this wasn't going to hinder someone else -at all- in the first place
2) After losing the books, continued trying to study in the library instead of look for them
3) After locating some of them, kept them to study from and/or didn't bother to continue looking for the rest
4) After locating all of them, keep them STILL to study/copy and w/e else dumbass idea there was that still leaves the library at, on a d6 roll, requiring at least a 5 to make -any- progress at all. Wasting several turns of other people's time (of which i'm not entirely saddened for because it just goes to show how no one else has paid attention to the fact that those of us NOT wasiting our lives trying to enter the library at every turn, are somehow accomplishing things other than collecting dust)
1-3. Yes, I made mistakes. I owned up to them and am trying to make up for it.
4. No. I was trying to improve long-term studying by copying. Then I tried to return the books and failed, which meant that I hoarded them despite not wanting to.

I could, however, NOT HAVE HOARDED THE BOOKS I WANTED TO RETURN.
You've made every attempt to date to keep the books to yourself, screwing everyone that has tried to study
Not in the turn in question.
And I've never tried to keep them to myself--I've just never tried to return them until the last couple turns. Which, in case you've missed EVERY time I've said so, was wrong. I'd say I'm sorry, but I've said that enough.

Quote from: GreatWyrmGold
Geez, sorry that I assumed that when he makes one concession towards splitting the library he could make another, or that a library with a -2 bonus and a separate collection with -1 could have the latter return books to the former until the maluses were switched...or that, barring that, I not hoard books when I clearly put returning most or all of them at a high priority.
I thought I made it clear that I wanted to not hoard the books.
How can you /not/ horde them WHILE making copies? or while studying them? Here's a simple rewrite of your actions for the last few turns that wouldn't make us hate you: "Copy books not currently being used by current researcher" - Slow, but effective without screwing us all over
I've also tried to return the books (last turn), did you miss that?

And there I was referring to your claim that there was no way I could have returned some of the books and had ANY impact on the others' studies.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

CyberGenesis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: February 12, 2013, 10:40:37 pm »

Once in the last 4 turns, since you found the rest, you tried to put them back to let people actually use them. How altruistic of you. We can blame ardas for your failure to successfully return them this time, not you actively using them every turn.
Everything below this line is a distant memory
------------------------------------------------------
Evil Genius - Round 1 - Concluded
Evil Genius - Round 2 - Scrapped
Planet@War: Starting Soon

Terenos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: February 12, 2013, 11:11:53 pm »

*sigh* Lets try this another way.

Patrizio's action : Seal the library with earth magic.
Your action: Return the books.
Your IC history: Being essentially entirely self serving.
IC you see Patrizio, with a new magic staff heading for the library, and gathering up his magical power. You decide, rather wisely to stay the hell away. He might be coming to kill you for -ruining his plan to keep the library in good order-.

Could you return the books to a room that isnt the library? S..ure. It wont really impact the library's malus. The library currently is sealed. No one in or out, unless they can come up with a way in or out. You could request that I reinterpret your action. And I will if you want. But I will lay out the most likely outcomes.
1)You go there, turf scapheap, and get sealed in, doing some/no studying. 2) You go there, and get killed by the earth magic spell that seals the library. 3) You and scapheap get stuck in there. Further straining the limited resources such as air, that are in a sealed room.

Your actions consistently have a 'study from the books' rider to them. And IC, your actions are all about the studying. How can I say that? Since the Library was recovered you've done nothing -but- study. Whether in the library, or elsewhere. For you there is no game but the library. Or something involving those books. Before there was a library you had no purpose.

Theres more than the library . Learn that, and the other players might lose some of their current animosity for you.
CG, Stop antagonizing him.

----
From this point on. If you believe I have misinterpreted your actions. Message me when the turn is posted. And we shall discuss why I interpreted it that way, and how you wanted it interpreted.
But despite what you've been told, I once had a soul. Left somewhere behind...

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: February 12, 2013, 11:33:29 pm »

Once in the last 4 turns, since you found the rest, you tried to put them back to let people actually use them. How altruistic of you. We can blame ardas for your failure to successfully return them this time, not you actively using them every turn.
Yes, I have been using them. No, I have not failed to say that that was wrong or that I am sorry about it.

*sigh* Lets try this another way.
Patrizio's action : Seal the library with earth magic.
Your action: Return the books.
Your IC history: Being essentially entirely self serving.
...While I want to disagree with the last bit, recent actions have been proving me wrong otherwise. (Although my first actions were to clean up the tower and explore the catacombs a bit and such...)

Could you return the books to a room that isnt the library? S..ure. It wont really impact the library's malus. The library currently is sealed. No one in or out, unless they can come up with a way in or out. You could request that I reinterpret your action. And I will if you want. But I will lay out the most likely outcomes.
1)You go there, turf scapheap, and get sealed in, doing some/no studying. 2) You go there, and get killed by the earth magic spell that seals the library. 3) You and scapheap get stuck in there. Further straining the limited resources such as air, that are in a sealed room.
Or, 4. I avoid the library (correct on your part), and then find some common area to return the books to (where the issue is.)

Your actions consistently have a 'study from the books' rider to them. And IC, your actions are all about the studying. How can I say that? Since the Library was recovered you've done nothing -but- study. Whether in the library, or elsewhere. For you there is no game but the library. Or something involving those books. Before there was a library you had no purpose.
Yes, recently. But consider: Aside from studying (which I've been doing), exploring the catacombs (which I wanted to be a bit...less likely to die before trying some more, given what's been happening recently), going to town (which others are doing--and, since Maxine's a girl in a presumably-faux-medieval setting, not to mention without much in the way of useful social skills, she wouldn't be able to do as much), or keeping house (disastrous or wasteful of time), what could I have done?

Theres more than the library . Learn that, and the other players might lose some of their current animosity for you.
Hey, I'm finished for now--I would be even if it wasn't sealed. I'm probably going to explore the catacombs a bit. Maybe study a little Earth magic or something so I can do non-destroy-everything spells.
Seriously, what practical application is there for Void magic aside from combat?

From this point on. If you believe I have misinterpreted your actions. Message me when the turn is posted. And we shall discuss why I interpreted it that way, and how you wanted it interpreted.
I'd rather bring it up in the thread, where we can get more opinions. If it's just you and me in PMs, whoever is right has exactly as much backing as whoever is wrong. In the thread, we can get second through...seventh? opinions as well. (Also, I'd rather keep my inbox clear of stuff that doesn't have to go there...)

-----

A short note about my character as I see her:
She has only a couple skillsets: She was taught some basic housekeeping skills by her mother before she disappeared, learned a little about sailing in the months onboard a ship and some less from the years before that with a sailing father, and finally magic. Which includes the "storms constantly surround her" schtick that's been completely ignored without any explanation or notice and my finally-Adept Void (aka "destructive") magic.
She can't hunt, can't fight, can't craft, can't really do much of anything. She's a young middle-ages girl who happens to have been accepted by the Cabal. If there were ships nearby, maybe she could do something; if housekeeping was something useful to be done, sure; if she knew almost any other kind of magic she could use that; but since she can't, that basically leaves learning, trying to go to town for work, or wasting her time. And possibly food supplies, if she tries cooking again.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Terenos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: February 13, 2013, 12:13:41 am »

Sure. If you figure its better brought up here, by all means.

Do you -really- think, IC you'd take the chance and put those books down again, in a room that isnt the library? And theres no OOC reason for it, since its not going to help the Library.

Do -try- not to self limit based on your perception of the society, or established backstory. You will cause yourself to run out of ideas swiftly. As evidenced, you have very little to do. Possibly due to the shallowness of your character's backstory. Theres no reason why you cant hunt, or fight or craft, or act as liason between the town and tower. Or the tower and other forces. Or do something.
Except of course, for an adherence to your backstory that is crippling your part in this game.

And I cant really do much in the way of storms constantly surrounding you. You're pretty far inland currently, based on my map. They'll come when I roll for it.

Actually there are tons of ways you can realistically apply void magic. Cant hunt? You can kill with magic. Cant fight? You can kill with magic.
For more...peaceful applications, you might note that there are locked doors down in the catacombs. 4/8 (5/9 now) of the current players have no way around a locked door. You, could unmake it.  Theres a portcullis style of gate blocking further egress into a ruin near here. Well you could unmake that too. Yes, you can kill things with it. But don't feel limited by just thinking its only for that.
And yeah, I might add in a little versatility to Void later. Depending on some things. But right now, its as useful as you see it is.

CyberGenesis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: February 13, 2013, 12:39:39 am »

Sholan was wondering where half the tower had gone. If they had decided to go into hiding, he was going to be annoyed when an armed militia showed up with no one around to defend the place.

No one alive at any rate...

Sally and a battalion of zombies would do well to strike down any backwater militia that would arrive at the tower from Suomi. Bigger concerns were if the situation couldn't be dealt with, or worse, the militia sent for Crims.

Sholan shrugged, "Screw it". Staring at his new zombie militia, he set them to guard the front gate of the tower and decided to meander about in the tower. Took him a few minutes to realize the library door was missing.

"Son of a bitch..."

After a while Sholan remembered there were barrels of blood in the storeroom. Returning there he came upon an idea that was slightly sadistic and entirely practical in every way - using blood as a weapon. Draining the life from someone is one thing, but if you can drain the blood, why can't you use it as a weapon?

He thought on a few ideas staring into an open barrel of blood, finally settling on the act of taking small amounts and solidifying it into a dart.

Practice the new method of combat - if successful, start carrying a canteen full of blood around at all times

scapheap

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a good guy...girl. My horse just eat souls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: February 13, 2013, 02:40:39 am »

Cast spell to unseal the library.
You were planning to have a 15 year old magical girl kill Witches by drinking them under the table!? It's original, at least.
Morpheus, a magic girls game

CyberGenesis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: February 13, 2013, 02:23:29 pm »

Between attempts to practice his new combat technique, Sholan had remember the palisade that was being constructed and sought out Maxine. Construction was going slowly having undead dig the trenches and holes, they could use a hand - especially if things might get rough in the future.

"Maxine, you're good at making crap disappear - Think you can assist in the Palisade? We need more holes dug for the logs to be socketed into"

If she agrees, head out to the palisade
« Last Edit: February 13, 2013, 03:28:04 pm by CyberGenesis »

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: February 13, 2013, 05:02:55 pm »

Do you -really- think, IC you'd take the chance and put those books down again, in a room that isnt the library? And theres no OOC reason for it, since its not going to help the Library.
IC and OOC, it gives others access to the books if they want them and helps make them hate me less.

Do -try- not to self limit based on your perception of the society, or established backstory. You will cause yourself to run out of ideas swiftly. As evidenced, you have very little to do. Possibly due to the shallowness of your character's backstory. Theres no reason why you cant hunt, or fight or craft, or act as liason between the town and tower. Or the tower and other forces. Or do something.
Except of course, for an adherence to your backstory that is crippling your part in this game.
There's no reason I'd be able to do those things, either. Hence why I'm going to be fooling around in the catacombs, as that best fits "not out-of-character" and "not likely to get me murdered."
I don't see a backstory as a way to justify things, I see it as a way to give me a place in the world and perhaps interesting challenges. I didn't try to make a character that could do anything, and I'm not playing her like I did.

And I cant really do much in the way of storms constantly surrounding you. You're pretty far inland currently, based on my map. They'll come when I roll for it.
Next time, please give that explanation a bit earlier.

Actually there are tons of ways you can realistically apply void magic. Cant hunt? You can kill with magic. Cant fight? You can kill with magic.
For more...peaceful applications, you might note that there are locked doors down in the catacombs. 4/8 (5/9 now) of the current players have no way around a locked door. You, could unmake it.  Theres a portcullis style of gate blocking further egress into a ruin near here. Well you could unmake that too. Yes, you can kill things with it. But don't feel limited by just thinking its only for that.
And yeah, I might add in a little versatility to Void later. Depending on some things. But right now, its as useful as you see it is.
...Those wouldn't cause major collateral damage?

Between attempts to practice his new combat technique, Sholan had remember the palisade that was being constructed and sought out Maxine. Construction was going slowly having undead dig the trenches and holes, they could use a hand - especially if things might get rough in the future.

"Maxine, you're good at making crap disappear - Think you can assist in the Palisade? We need more holes dug for the logs to be socketed into"

If she agrees, head out to the palisade
"Very funny, Sholan."

New Action:

Store the books somewhere. Help with digging holes.
Sig

CyberGenesis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: February 13, 2013, 05:04:41 pm »

Sholan laughed, "I hadn't thought of it like that - I was actually thinking about the clutter that was originally in the tower. Fair point though!"

Ghazkull

• Bay Watcher
  • Can Improve, will give back better...
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: February 14, 2013, 04:52:15 pm »

Sighing Helfd sat down on a nearby stump of a tree.

You know what the best thing about work is? I could watch it all day long.

Helfd lights a pipe and watches Patrizio do the work

Terenos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dark Magi: TTC, Chapter 1, Update 17.
« Reply #266 on: February 14, 2013, 08:00:39 pm »

Chapter 1: Picking up the Pieces.
Part Eighteen: The First Casualty.
Players:

Spoiler:  Helfd(Ghazkull) (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Detani (Fniff) (click to show/hide)

Maxine Squall(GreatWyrmGold)
I am afraid, you have been eliminated.

-----------------
Known Locations:
-----------------
Suomi is a small town, that doesnt have a particular allegiance. It exports lumber and is nominally protected by its own militia. The people there are somewhat friendly to newcomers, and you're sure there's work to be had there. Current status: Vaguely concerned about the undead.

The Tower, is ramshackle and old. It possesses few amenities currently.
-----------------
Note, all resources/items are placed in the Tower Stocks unless declared otherwise.
Spoiler: Tower Information (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Tower Stocks (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Tower Forces (click to show/hide)
-----------------
Events:
Samuel
[5] Simplicity itself. You use your magic to slide the wall back, making a new doorway. You breathe deep of the fresh clean air. The Library is reopened, contrary to Patrizio's plans.

---
Helfd, Roland, Patrizio
The three of you debate possible things you can do here, before deciding on handing the Shaper's Gloves to Patrizio, and setting him against the portcullis barring your way.
[4+2] Your spellcraft is excellent, you barely even need the accoutrements to channel and focus your power. You slide the grate out of the way, and block it from descending ever again. You have opened the way deeper into these ruins. Faint noises abound from within.
The chamber you have opened has at least 6 skeletal remains.

---
Sholan, Maxine
Maxine stows the library books away somewhere. Then, Sholan and Maxine head out to do some work on the walls.
[Special Event: Violent Murder]
[4v4]Directing Maxine towards the area where the Palisade will be started, Maxine notes that there are rather a lot of armed zombies around. Closing in. She spins, magic ready to face Sholan, thus costing Sholan his surprise attack.
[Battle!]
[5+2 vs 6,1(Wild Magic!)] Throwing Blood Magic against Void, Sholan and Maxine square off, and only one will be walking away. Magic sparks and clashes, ripping up the earth and causing blood to run from the ears of both combatants. The zombies cannot get close to assist Sholan.
Violent rifts are being torn in the very air, causing strange smells and sounds to spill into the area around the tower. Sholan's talented spellcraft against Maxine's raw fury.
[6,3 vs 6,2] Magic twists and mutates, zombies are struck down, standing dumbly awaiting a chance to interfere.

Sholan takes heavy wounds, losing chunks of his body, and one of his eyes in the confrontation. Also, the Diary was destroyed in the fight.

Come the end however. Sholan is still standing, and Maxine's corpse is nowhere to be seen. Also, there are far less zombies milling about.
The rough and tumble of the fight has taught you a bit about how to wield your magic effectively. (+25% to Adept)
---
Jerik
Many chambers are suitable for your purposes, but you will need many supplies to fashion a proper Laboratory. And some small backwater like Suomi will likely not provide all you need. You'll need ample parchment, chalk, a few magical crystals maybe. Definitely some basic supplies like blood and bone to experiment upon. So forth.
---
Detani
You spend sometime lounging and recovering from your fight. Surprisingly, several members of the tower seem to have vanished recently. You muse about the possibilities there.
---
Satrus
[5,?,?] Your militia training plans are taken well, but progress is slow. You also do reasonably well at drafting a few more locals to deal with the threat. All told you think you have 30 men at arms under your command.
People are starting to mutter that perhaps this was an isolated incident and that maybe there isn't an actual necromancer around here. Its not as though the undead have started attacking in the night.
---
Events in Near Proximity:
---
A shipment of bows and arrows have arrived at Suomi, and before long the peasants have cleaned out the stocks. But they are still afraid to venture into the forest.
Wild Magic appears to be running rampant near the Tower. This may cause complications in spellcasting.

Shootandrun

• Bay Watcher
  • Silence is the answer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: February 14, 2013, 08:07:49 pm »

Roland stared uncertainly into the darkness for a few seconds, before lifting up his torch and going forward.

Lead the way deeper into ruins

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: February 14, 2013, 09:06:54 pm »

Spoiler: Detani's Diary (click to show/hide)

Set up a shrine to the dark gods and pray. See if it does anything. Scratch that, look at later post.[/b]
« Last Edit: February 15, 2013, 07:27:20 pm by Fniff »

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: February 14, 2013, 11:41:47 pm »

Dude. Not cool.

I had just gotten to the point where I could be helpful. And was trying to be helpful. And trying to make up for my previous misdeeds.
And you killed me.

...Do ghosts exist in this world?
Sig
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 68