Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Preventing Tantrum Spirals  (Read 1386 times)

PhoenixEggz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Preventing Tantrum Spirals
« on: January 25, 2013, 05:08:41 pm »

Is it possible to prevent tantrum spirals by locking dwarves with many friends away until they turn into ghosts?

I'm not sure if this would be good or not, and I've yet to test it.

Just curious if anyone knows of such a thing yet.

Donuts

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Madman
    • View Profile
Re: Preventing Tantrum Spirals
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2013, 05:10:43 pm »

Is it possible to prevent tantrum spirals by locking dwarves with many friends away until they turn into ghosts?

I'm not sure if this would be good or not, and I've yet to test it.

Just curious if anyone knows of such a thing yet.
Use the Atom-Smasher. No evidence, no tantrums.
"Oh shit, they've got a slogan! It means they're serious!"

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2013, 05:14:28 pm »

I am a big fan of the "dwarven dystopia" method, of bottling dwarves up inside self-contained compartments with chutes for food, booze, raw materials and product, with automated minecart resource collection and delivery.

Each compartment has drop sites for raw materials and food, and contains a bedroom, a table, and a workshop.

Dwarves never see each other again once installed.

PhoenixEggz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2013, 05:24:39 pm »

These are both really good ideas, actually. If only I had experiance with minecarts and how to use them. For now, I'll be using the atom smasher.

How are the locked away dwarves useful for anything if they never leave?

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2013, 05:28:11 pm »

I use communal bedrooms. Each bedroom is large and extremely well furnished, but several dwarves may live there together. There is no main meeting zone.

When idle dwarves will hang out in their rooms, admire the nice furniture, and talk with their roommates. Dwarves should only become friends with their roommates, and they should not know anyone else in the fortress.

Any tantrum spiral would be confined to a single communal bedroom at its worst.

PhoenixEggz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2013, 06:27:32 pm »

I use communal bedrooms. Each bedroom is large and extremely well furnished, but several dwarves may live there together. There is no main meeting zone.

When idle dwarves will hang out in their rooms, admire the nice furniture, and talk with their roommates. Dwarves should only become friends with their roommates, and they should not know anyone else in the fortress.

Any tantrum spiral would be confined to a single communal bedroom at its worst.

I've started making married familes have their own little rooms, with pens that hold any pets they would have. It's pretty fun, but also a little annoying because you have to keep track of ALL of the family, and any pets, and the pets might need to graze..

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2013, 06:35:10 pm »

That's what apartment complexes with lawns are for.  Each family unit has muddied tiles growing floor fungus for their grazing pets to eat, and their adorable dwarven children to play kick the goblin head on.

PhoenixEggz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2013, 08:14:03 pm »

That's what apartment complexes with lawns are for.  Each family unit has muddied tiles growing floor fungus for their grazing pets to eat, and their adorable dwarven children to play kick the goblin head on.

I tried muddying an area using a pond once. They dumped water in, but it took forever, and it never made enough mud to make enough for a single goat. Is there a better way to do that?

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2013, 08:18:47 pm »

The secret to mud is repeated flooding.

eg, flood to 1/7 deep, close floodgate. Let dry. Flood to 1/7, close gate, let dry... again and again.

Each time the water floods in, the mud will get "thicker".  You want "a thick pile of mud" in the lawn, not "a light dusting of mud".  Thick mud grows shroom trees and cavern mosses more efficiently in my experience.

PhoenixEggz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2013, 08:26:13 pm »

That would be doable. Very doable.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2013, 08:38:14 pm »

It is important that you LET IT DRY. Pouring more water on top of a tile that already has water on it, even a 1/7 depth, will only add water, and not more mud. The contaminant layer is only built up reliably if the muddied tiles are allowed to completely dry.

This runs the risk of gettng dead floor fungus though, as tiles try to grow the stuff during the drying phase, get drowned, and kill the fungus. This is why I try to avoid tapping the cavern and releasing the spores until *after* I have thuroughly muddied up the growing chambers for shroom trees and cavern mosses.

PhoenixEggz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2013, 10:29:15 pm »

What's the problem with dead floor fungus?

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2013, 10:42:43 pm »

Maminals don't like to eat it, and it doesn't grow?

crekit

• Bay Watcher
  • Doesn't know what he's talking about.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2013, 12:00:43 am »

My god, you guys pay so much attention to the little buggers!

My current fort I didn't bother to finish the bedroom complex, not gunna lie. Maybe that's my problem, I need to pay more attention to the guys.
<-- Has no idea what just happened.

He likes gold, native gold, trees that are made of gold, and tungsten. He likes cats for their haunting meows. He needs dwarf fortress to get through the working day. When possible, prefers to consume Potatoes, cheese, cow milk. Absolutely detests elves. And spiders.

protester

• Escaped Lunatic
  • Chalkies be trippin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2013, 02:52:22 am »

My god, I am learning new things every day just surfing these forums. Now it looks like i need to revise my lame 3x3 bedroom blocks and get those pet goats out of sun danger. I have a simpler method, I harden the dwarves with intentionally poor security,(with military on standby of course) along with ornate dining rooms. good meals, and lots and lots of beer.
Adventurer in training
Pages: [1] 2