Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Standards of dwarven living  (Read 1806 times)

MoonSheep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Standards of dwarven living
« on: January 24, 2013, 11:24:10 pm »

I peered into the thoughts of my fellow dwarven subjects and i saw 'Dined in a legendary dining room.'

This is my dining room

Isn't it kind of ridiculous that such conditions are considered the best of the best in all of dwarfdom by the people living here, I mean come on. It's rough stone walls with a shabby cobblestone roof and a dirt floor with weeds growing out of it. Not to mention only 6 tables and chairs. There are 2 masterwork doors, but that's about it.

What are everyone's thoughts on the matter?

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
Re: Standards of dwarven living
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2013, 11:46:15 pm »

... It's rough stone walls with a shabby cobblestone roof and a dirt floor with weeds growing out of it. Not to mention only 6 tables and chairs. There are 2 masterwork doors, but that's about it.

What are everyone's thoughts on the matter?
Legendary, dude.  Legendary.  8)  :P

Necrisha

• Bay Watcher
  • 0.0 0.o o.0 o.o -.- zzzZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2013, 11:47:20 pm »

yeah the 2 masterwork doors are probably doing it for the most part. I find dwarves expectations are scaled based on skills, likes, and position. If they like any of the materials used there's a huge bonus, and they're more impressed with lesser stuff in the early days of a fort because compared to last year it's a lot better. If they've got legendary skills or a noble position they're less impressed.
EDIT: Keas restricted to tropical forests where they belong.  Those evil, EVIL, foul little things.

Edit: The baby murderer became a friend of the fortress, which started a loyalty cascade, and now most of the squad is dead.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2013, 03:12:03 am »

The sum of all stuff is counted as legendary.

Astrid

• Bay Watcher
  • This is a text.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2013, 03:59:22 am »

It all depends on the dwarf in question really.

For an ordinary worker this is legendary. For an Noble this would be a broom chamber.
To take it to the two extremes. Every Dwarf has his own opinion on what's legendary.

peregarrett

• Bay Watcher
  • Гномовержец Enjoyed throwing someone recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2013, 04:28:23 am »

yeah the 2 masterwork doors are probably doing it for the most part. I find dwarves expectations are scaled based on skills, likes, and position. If they like any of the materials used there's a huge bonus, and they're more impressed with lesser stuff in the early days of a fort because compared to last year it's a lot better. If they've got legendary skills or a noble position they're less impressed.
Yep. Having lunch in a dining hall with masterwork furniture for a dwarf is equal to having lunch with girl of your deepest dream for a human.
Did you know that the Russian word for "sock" is "no sock"?
I just saw a guy with two broken legs push a minecart with a corpse in it. Yeah.

Mudcrab

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2013, 04:33:47 am »

Tempted to make a slum fortress, where the haulers, hordes of masons/miners/farmers etc live in absolute squalor in the caverns while the nobles/craftsmen have smoothed stone rooms with gold furniture and such.

Only problem is dwarfs ignore burrows when idle, guess I could just make them constantly have jobs to do.

Would be quite funny to see fights breaking out in the dirt hovels because everyones pissed off, you could contain the riots and stuff.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2013, 04:37:03 am by Mudcrab »

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2013, 04:34:04 pm »

I agree the two masterwork doors are most likely why its considered Legendary.  My question is, what type of stone is it made of? Most stone types don't have that high a value, but some are much higher than others, so that could influence what the dwarves think of the place.  For example, I had a legendary dining room once that only had four wooden tables and chairs in it. But the entire room was an 11x9 chamber hewn from an olivine deposit at the surface (I mined into the hill in that first months "get underground!" rush and hit olivine three tiles in).  Even before I'd smoothed anything the dwarves considered the place Legendary.
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

simonthedwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • ¤Death¤
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2013, 07:19:29 pm »

Im laughing at this thread. Its hilarious.
Quote from: Syndic
Sentry towers, manned by orang-utangs./quote]

BodyGripper

• Bay Watcher
  • The dog is screaming.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2013, 10:32:07 pm »

My nobles get large bedrooms, which eventually get furnished with nice things.
Regular dwarfs get respectable 3x3 bedrooms.  Unfortunately for them, it takes me years to get around to making everyone a bedroom, so usually there are about 12 dwarfs with rooms and over a hundred homeless.  Sometimes they sleep in the hospital.
"I'm sorry. I'm so sorry... It's okay to sell quivers..."
I just ripped open a lions throat by biting it. Who's the lion now, bitch!

xominxac

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Bookkeeper
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2013, 02:04:42 am »

I wish my dining room was legendary...

Rutilant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2013, 04:15:29 am »

\  Unfortunately for them, it takes me years to get around to making everyone a bedroom, so usually there are about 12 dwarfs with rooms and over a hundred homeless.  Sometimes they sleep in the hospital.

*my every fort ever*  First few migrant waves that bump you up to 10-12 dwarves?  Totally able to keep up with that.  'that' migrant wave that sextuples your fort population?  Screw that. I have a booze production deficit now because of you jerks. Sleep on the floor.

Aerie

• Bay Watcher
  • Mae fy hofrenfad yn llawn llyswennod.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2013, 04:19:14 am »

This is why Armok created magma, folks. Chop chop!
Play my forum game, The Darkness Below!

Rutilant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2013, 04:43:49 am »

This is why Armok created magma, folks. Chop chop!

Sure, but a corpse and a coffin let me delegate the messy business to my drunks;  Without a corpse I have to hold their hand through the engraving and burial process!

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2013, 08:28:47 am »

Room feelings depend on the quality of the room compared to what the dwarf in question expects. Commoners require nothing at all, so a no-quality bed on a muddy loam floor is already a 'good' bedroom for them; and a 'decent' dining room may already be legendary by their standards. Whereas monarchs i think should never get positive feelings from their rooms themselves, since they just can't have a room nicer than they think they deserve. They'll still get happiness for admiring their stuff, and they'll have a lot of stuff worthy of admiration if they own adequate rooms.
Pages: [1] 2