Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Expectations and anticipation  (Read 1823 times)

Findulidas

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL:OFFTOPIC:5][NOTHOUGHT]
    • View Profile
Re: Expectations and anticipation
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2013, 02:46:51 pm »

Wasnt jumping and climbing in there as well? That might be bound to change stuff in adventure mode as well as some defense in fort mode.
...wonderful memories of the creeping sense of dread...

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2013, 03:26:58 pm »

Also, give me dem non-combat skills in Adventurer Mode and I may not care about any further updates.
Because let's face, the only thing to do in Adventurer Mode atm in the long-run is fighting. And even if the combat system is fun and whatnot, it gets boring after a while.

I want to dig! I want to chop! I want to build! Hell, even crafting would be satisfactory.
Just let me do it, goddamnit!

TomatoWalrus

• Bay Watcher
  • I am one of the tomatos.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2013, 04:00:11 pm »

I want to dig! I want to chop! I want to build! Hell, even crafting would be satisfactory.

This. I want to be able to play like a fortress mode dwarf in a huge world. Screw having 200 manic-depressive alcoholics build my mega-projects. I wanna do that shit myself. And do it right.
I am he as you are he as you are me and we are all together.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2013, 04:15:39 pm »

Personally, I want to retire fortresses after building them up to megastructure proportions, and build a massively sprawling and improbable dwarven empire.

Imagine:  you build your intial fortresses over a natural magma source, say a volcano, and build a large network of water and magma pipes, which you build your fortress over. Since it's a volcano, it's a magma source, so you plumb the magma to the map edges, and make a fortification slit to let the magme flow off the map safely below ground. So far so good!  Now you retire the fortress.

The next fortress you build slightly overlaps the embark area of the first, so you get the "infinite magma edge tile flow" behavior from the slighly overlapped embark. (Need Just Embark! Or Embark command from dfhack.). You new site can now tie into the dwarven utility network, and expand it.

Do this again and again and again, and go crazy with it. Expand the dwarven civ out into saltwater oeans with cast obsidian foundations! Show the world that dwarves don't just live in mountains, they actually *make* them too!

Finally, when all is said and done, retire one last time, then explore the mega-metropolitan complex you built.

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2013, 04:53:32 pm »

Personally, I want to retire fortresses after building them up to megastructure proportions, and build a massively sprawling and improbable dwarven empire.

Imagine:  you build your intial fortresses over a natural magma source, say a volcano, and build a large network of water and magma pipes, which you build your fortress over. Since it's a volcano, it's a magma source, so you plumb the magma to the map edges, and make a fortification slit to let the magme flow off the map safely below ground. So far so good!  Now you retire the fortress.

The next fortress you build slightly overlaps the embark area of the first, so you get the "infinite magma edge tile flow" behavior from the slighly overlapped embark. (Need Just Embark! Or Embark command from dfhack.). You new site can now tie into the dwarven utility network, and expand it.

Do this again and again and again, and go crazy with it. Expand the dwarven civ out into saltwater oeans with cast obsidian foundations! Show the world that dwarves don't just live in mountains, they actually *make* them too!

Finally, when all is said and done, retire one last time, then explore the mega-metropolitan complex you built.

Reminds me of Moloch from the Neuroshima tabletop game.
Man, I've really gotta gather the pack round for another session, we're having a Valve Time problem atm.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2013, 05:04:41 pm »

I think it's a great idea. The "retire fortress" feature is the one that has me the most excited.

The next christmas present I would like from Toady, is to be able to spin worldgen history some more between gameplays.

Eg, gen a world, build fortresses, go adventuring-- then spin the worldgen history machine another arbitrary number of years so the building of those fortresses and the impacts of those adventures makes a deeper mark on the world.

Fluoman

• Bay Watcher
  • Anything the game allows.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2013, 03:44:32 am »

Is there a link to the "patchnote"?
(Haven't been there long enough to know where these things are found.)
"hey, look, my left hand! It's only bones now, gosh, has it been that long since that cave dragon bit it off?"

RtDs!

KtosoX

• Bay Watcher
  • Playing DF since 18.08.2010
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2013, 01:24:31 pm »

You can go to the main page for that, I check it almost daily :P
Scroll down till you find the wall of text on the 6th of June 2012
I have to worn you though, it's 6 months worth of updates ;)
Build a grid of floor grates above the entire city. Draft a squadron of masons and bomb the crap out of the city with falling constructed walls.
The Geneva Convention would like to have a word with you.
Quote from: Aleksanderus
I have clicked "d" in a forge and look what it did!

the woods

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2013, 05:18:54 pm »

I forgot all about climbing. I wonder if I could use underground trees inside of a shaft instead of stairs. The trunk could be a coal chute.
Pages: 1 [2]