Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: I was wondering.  (Read 2060 times)

HavingPhun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
I was wondering.
« on: January 24, 2013, 03:44:10 pm »

So I am thinking about making a game again. But first I wanted to brainstorm. So I was wondering what motivates people to do things. Like if a person likes blue, trees, and turtles. But doesn't like orange, snow/cold, or fish. They might still become a fisherman in the arctic areas. So ussually isnt something like a job based on what they are interested in? So basically what decides what job someone chooses? I was thinking that I could simulate this in a game. Seeing the world build itself partially based on what people want as a job. I dont want to oversimulate this since it might be really advanced. But I want ideas on how to make it more advanced than I like wheat so ill be a farmer. I will probably make a-lot of these threads.

Edit: Sorry if these seems like a mess with words but I do that sometimes when I am writing.

HavingPhun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I was wondering.
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2013, 03:49:21 pm »

Just to add things there are:

-Social status
-Economic Status
-Family pressuring them to do a certain job or follow in their footsteps
-Interests

But want to get more in depth and see what you guys think. Talking to people seems to help spur ideas in my mind.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2013, 03:54:07 pm »

Personal ideologies. Do they care more about personal gain than helping others or their sense of responsibility for example.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2013, 03:57:15 pm »

1. Is there a job available?
2. What does it pay?
3. Fuck it, I'll take it.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2013, 06:18:09 pm »

2. What does it pay?
This man, he speaks the truth. I keep going back to a low-paying job with no benefits because I know that they'll rehire me and I won't have to waste weeks looking for a different job when I've only got ~2.5mo. per year to earn income. Obviously things will change later, but still.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2013, 05:01:13 am »

Yeah... I think more weight in your modeling should be placed on availability of jobs.  People will educate themselves according to their interests, with some people giving more consideration to what they're good at and what they believe they'll be able to make money doing.  Then they graduate and reality basically makes people's decisions for them.  Some people will fight reality like mad.  I graduated 4 years ago, and am still working my ass off to develop a career related to my degree while trapped in a job I hate.  The majority of people just give up.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2013, 05:40:34 am »

Like if a person likes blue, trees, and turtles. But doesn't like orange, snow/cold, or fish. They might still become a fisherman in the arctic areas.
To somewhat echo what others have said, if the above person happens to be an Inuit, and doesn't currently have an opportunity for travel to (say) the Caribbean, then, yes, they'd probably plump for the fishing job.  At least for the time being.

You could boil it down to the old criminality adage "means, motive, opportunity".

For any given job, and any given person, can that person:
a) Be able to get employed (or self-employ themself) in that job,
b) Desire to do that work (or at least desire it more than anything else available)
c) Luck out against all the others who want (or will put up with) that job, and who would beat them to it.

It needn't be boolean.  Grade each test, and see what jobs each person (or, vice-versa for a given job, which people) come up with the best combined score[1].  It may be really difficult for said Inuit to get a job building palm-wood huts for the tourists at a turtle sanctuary in the Bahamas, but with their heart set out to get the job and exceptional qualifications in carpentry and zoology gained at nightclasses[2] it might be an absolute shoe-in position for them when they actually apply!

If you don't like the MMO triplet, I'm sure you could work with any other pressures you want.  (Parental influences... i.e. tendency to do what the house breadwinner does; Caste[3] expectations... 'your' kind tends to work with horses a lot; Circumstances... A minor war starts, and you go and do your duty, leading onto professional soldiering afterwards, or perhaps becoming mercenary once Your Country No Longer Needs You!, quite so much.)

[1] Straight sum/average, product of all terms, geometric mean, log sum..? .You may get different results for different combinations.  To which you might pre-apply weightings to the terms[1a].  A "zero" score for one item could totally scupper some combinatorial methods from winning, and a maximum-value score for one item could allow another method's result to dominate, so tune to your own satisfaction.

[1a] Availability should be quite important, but not create an automatic up-take for the most available jobs nor necessarily be a deal-breaker for the least available.  Except, of course when there's absolutely no call for nuclear scientists, in amongst your typical meso-american indian cliff-dwelling pre-Columbian settlement.

[2] During one winter, when there's an lot of night... ;)

[3] Consider also gender, physique/build...

HavingPhun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2013, 08:54:10 pm »

Thank you all for your help. I hope that I wont abandon this project since I seem interested in it.

What?

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2013, 04:26:33 am »

Thank you all for your help. I hope that I wont abandon this project since I seem interested in it.

What?

The polar night occurs when the night lasts for more than 24 hours. That's a lotta night.

GalenEvil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Mac-Man Games
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2013, 05:12:59 am »

...and so a lot of night classes :P PTW, I wanna see where this goes. If you model psychological and physical attributes then that can also be an impetus towards various careers. Those of higher intellect are somewhat less likely to get certain jobs and be satisfied with them. At the same time those who are unsatisfied with their jobs might seek, through means differentiated by their psychological traits (altruism, honesty, deviousness, et al.) may affect how they go about raising their satisfaction.
Fun is Fun......Done is Done... or is that Done is !!FUN!!?
Quote from: Mr Frog
Digging's a lot like surgery, see -- you grab the sharp thing and then drive the sharp end of the sharp thing in as hard as you can and then stuff goes flying and then stuff falls out and then there's a big hole and you're done. I kinda wish there was more screaming, but rocks don't hurt so I guess it can't be helped.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2013, 05:29:41 am »

2. What does it pay?
Oh God, this is me all the freakin' time. Of course, I've yet to actually get an offer...
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

HavingPhun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2013, 10:31:41 am »

...and so a lot of night classes :P PTW, I wanna see where this goes. If you model psychological and physical attributes then that can also be an impetus towards various careers. Those of higher intellect are somewhat less likely to get certain jobs and be satisfied with them. At the same time those who are unsatisfied with their jobs might seek, through means differentiated by their psychological traits (altruism, honesty, deviousness, et al.) may affect how they go about raising their satisfaction.
I want to make it so people start off as hunters and gatherers and then slowly go on to domesticate things and make a society. They also would build there own cities towns. Then decide what job they want/get. But if people are unhappy and the economy crashes then the civilization might fail or have a rebellion.

HavingPhun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2013, 10:35:26 am »

Another thing I was wondering is what level of technology should the game have. People would start off with sticks, stones, and bones. Then eventually move on to copper, bronze, iron, and steel. But how far should I go with it. I wouldn't mind spending alot of time making it go into modern and fairly near - future tech but I don't know if I should.

rabidgam3r

• Bay Watcher
  • bruh
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2013, 12:35:30 pm »

Another thing I was wondering is what level of technology should the game have. People would start off with sticks, stones, and bones. Then eventually move on to copper, bronze, iron, and steel. But how far should I go with it. I wouldn't mind spending alot of time making it go into modern and fairly near - future tech but I don't know if I should.

Go all the way to the Singularity.
Even if he hadn't brought the server down in a ball of flaming, slow-mo gibbing corgis

HavingPhun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2013, 02:13:00 pm »

So I wrote some notes on how the game would go about people choosing jobs. Also took some bits and pieces from your suggestions.But please read it and tell me what you think. Any suggestions and criticism are welcome. I am also most likely going to only be brainstorming and planning until feb. 17th since my fast connection doesn't reset its data until then. So I'm stuck on 5 kbps download speed dial-up until then. Afaik I won't be getting anywhere with a fast connection until the 18th - 19th of feb. So I'll have to plan for now. But having a good plan is key to sucess. So please read and tell me what you think.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: January 28, 2013, 03:28:23 pm by HavingPhun »
Pages: [1] 2