Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Designated postitions  (Read 969 times)

Aaarrgh!

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Designated postitions
« on: January 24, 2013, 11:02:58 am »

The title of this idea doesn't sit entirely well with me - let me know if you have a better one. Anyway.
Currently, you can designate a broker, a manager, a bookeeper, etc. Well, what if this were expanded? Say  I had run out of miners and needed a new one. Under the current situation, I would need to hunt down a cheesemaker or woodcrafter or someone and disable most of their labours besides mining manually, which is frankly annoying as dorfs die off fairly commonly in the game. This idea would instead allow you to create a list of positions with preset labours that are applied when a dorf is assigned to the position. Under this system, I would go to the appropriate screen and pick some useless busybody, who would get their labours changed immediately. Similarly, the ability to assign room ownership by position rather than name would be appreciated, so that a particularly opulent room always belongs to the current manager. Oh, and the ability to link room ownership, so that taking ownership of a bedroom automatically confers ownership of a dining room and office, for example.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2013, 11:49:19 am by Aaarrgh! »

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Designated postitions
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2013, 11:35:52 am »

Not used the feature, but can't you (at least with Dwarf Therapist) define a Custom Profession and it does a lot of that?

(OTOH, I just use Dwarf Therapist to quickly identify a candidate and switch them over.  Not one-click, but quick enough for government work...)

I like your other idea, and can imagine a room-link option (somewhat like the stockpile-linking one for stockpiles, with bidirectional or mono-directional 'slaving' option) and the list of assignable people to maybe include position-names in a different hue (light/dark purple?).  But that might not be the only way to make it so, and integrate with the background code.  (I tend to set things up without changing, myself, so it would take more clicks to arrange the linking and then assign a person, but not having to search the list for the Mayor/Bookkeeper/Emergency Medical Hologram or whatever could save me some time. ;))

Aaarrgh!

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2013, 11:38:34 am »

Not used the feature, but can't you (at least with Dwarf Therapist) define a Custom Profession and it does a lot of that?
(OTOH, I just use Dwarf Therapist to quickly identify a candidate and switch them over.  Not one-click, but quick enough for government work...)
1. I don't want to rely on mods to make playing easier.
2. Therapist is Windows only.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2013, 11:50:23 am »

DT is probably the only tool I use on top of otherwise vanilla DF.  It really is that useful[1].  Although I'm not entirely sure if the Custom Profession does what I said it might do, so probably not worth trying to persuade you.

I'm sure I used DT in WINE when I played Windows-version DF also in WINE, back in the old days (40d time, or earlier), but that's a long time ago, and I've no idea if I'm remembering correctly.  And obviously if you're using a native Linux version (or Mac, being not quite sure what non-Windows version you're using) I could see that not working anyway.  (I would have thought they would have tried to port it, but again I hit a wall of self-ignorance on that issue...)

[1] Not so much that I'd ragequit without it, but I play a lot differently if I don't have it available for some reason.  A lot slower and a lot of micromanaging and external spreadsheet action...  With it, it's just (a different, and more quickly implemented) set of micromanagements, and a lot less hassle all round.

Kipi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2013, 03:06:31 pm »

2. Therapist is Windows only.

It once was, currently it supports Linux and OSX as well.

This is something that has been suggested several times and, IIRC, Toady is going to implement this at one point.
Room Values - !!SCIENCE!!

Quote from: zanchito
You know, they could teach maths like this at school. "There are 105 dwarves in a settlement. A goblin invasion appears and 67 die. Then a migrant wave..."

kiba

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2013, 04:21:32 pm »

Therapist is not window only since I certainly run it.