Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8

Author Topic: Fortress mode Slavery  (Read 11627 times)

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fortress mode Slavery
« Reply #75 on: February 06, 2013, 09:05:28 pm »

Plus, rationalization. "He's not a slave, he's a war criminal."
"He's not a slave, he's a lower class citizen."

Are you kidding? That's not even flying here in this thread about a game where we already have slaves, and the word "Slaves" even gets top billing in the title.
Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

It's useful to keep a ‼torch‼ handy.

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: February 06, 2013, 09:32:29 pm »

It's more of a propaganda type thing, those in charge of the fort that are in the fort can influence things based on personal values and manipulate those without superstrong wills (that will probably try to assassinate the leaders for going against ethics.
There are words that make the booze plant possible. Just not those words.
Alright you two. Attempt to murder each other. Last one standing gets to participate in the next test.
DIRK: Pelvic thrusts will be my exclamation points.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: February 07, 2013, 11:26:13 am »

Snip
In practise, who would have thought that massive genocide would happen so frequently just because of people's political ideals and/or beliefs.

A powerfull leader and a crisis can accomplish pretty much anything.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: February 08, 2013, 09:23:12 pm »

Snip
In practise, who would have thought that massive genocide would happen so frequently just because of people's political ideals and/or beliefs.

A powerfull leader and a crisis can accomplish pretty much anything.
For his lifetime.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

stickadtroja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: February 09, 2013, 08:01:33 am »

hmm there is a lot of weird arguing in this thread. i think slavery is a really cool suggestion and im suprised it is meet with so much negativity...

GreatWyrmGold: you treat the fact that dwarves have ethics against slavery as some final argument against this suggestion. why?
suggestions are peoples views on how to improve or change the game. so change the ethics tags?

Kohaku is the one with the most legitimate critic of this suggestion. how does a slave differ from a regular dwarf, gameplay wise?
but you are all not very creative when thinking about this. i can think of a number of easy ways that would make the slave different, and that doesnt require a whole new social structure aspect of the fortress.

its easier to do this if we first define what we want from the new slave feature;
1. slaves should do worse jobs than other dwarfs.
2. slaves should have worse living condítions than other dwarfs.
3. slaves should be able to revolt.

1 is hard since, as someone pointed out, the game cant really tell which jobs is worse than the other. be we can do that  instead. say hauling. maybe we can agree that hauling is a job fit for slaves. so slaves can only haul.
maybe we can also say that a slave cant reach skill levels beyond adequate. that would make you naturally put all the slaves to do the shittiest jobs, since they suck at it. if you somehow enslave a legendary carpenter or something, she could get lowered skill levels, showing that she is only a shell of her former self as a slave.

2 is easier. how do we make them have worse living conditions than the already poorly treated dwarves? we make them accept even worse living conditions. so they can sleep on the floor anywhere in the fort, not wear clothes, eat maybe a third the amount of a regular dwarf, and drink only water. all this without a unhappy thought. beacuse if we make it easy for the player to treat them poorly, most people will.

3 is maybe the hardest. here i think the easiest would be to have it work like animal training. maybe it could be modified so that slaves gets more prone to revolt if they see others revolting. that way you could have revolting spirals and such.

soooo.... yeah. i think the slave suggestion would be really cool, and it would fit with the feel of the rest of the game really well.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: February 09, 2013, 08:42:35 am »

hmm there is a lot of weird arguing in this thread. i think slavery is a really cool suggestion and im suprised it is meet with so much negativity...

GreatWyrmGold: you treat the fact that dwarves have ethics against slavery as some final argument against this suggestion. why?
suggestions are peoples views on how to improve or change the game. so change the ethics tags?
Because we all know that Toady has the final say in whatever happens. These ethics were written up by Toady, and reflect what he wants the respective races to be, and hence, dwarves enslaving people is unlikely to happen. Same reason why another variety of suggestions need to be declined, as they don't fit into the game's universe. (For example, firearms, ...)

Kohaku is the one with the most legitimate critic of this suggestion. how does a slave differ from a regular dwarf, gameplay wise?
but you are all not very creative when thinking about this. i can think of a number of easy ways that would make the slave different, and that doesnt require a whole new social structure aspect of the fortress.

its easier to do this if we first define what we want from the new slave feature;

1 is hard since, as someone pointed out, the game cant really tell which jobs is worse than the other. be we can do that  instead. say hauling. maybe we can agree that hauling is a job fit for slaves. so slaves can only haul.
maybe we can also say that a slave cant reach skill levels beyond adequate. that would make you naturally put all the slaves to do the shittiest jobs, since they suck at it. if you somehow enslave a legendary carpenter or something, she could get lowered skill levels, showing that she is only a shell of her former self as a slave.

2 is easier. how do we make them have worse living conditions than the already poorly treated dwarves? we make them accept even worse living conditions. so they can sleep on the floor anywhere in the fort, not wear clothes, eat maybe a third the amount of a regular dwarf, and drink only water. all this without a unhappy thought. beacuse if we make it easy for the player to treat them poorly, most people will.

3 is maybe the hardest. here i think the easiest would be to have it work like animal training. maybe it could be modified so that slaves gets more prone to revolt if they see others revolting. that way you could have revolting spirals and such.

soooo.... yeah. i think the slave suggestion would be really cool, and it would fit with the feel of the rest of the game really well.

So, and why would we want to use the less skilled, more prone to violence, slaves at all. Really, we could just use dwarves, put them in the same badish conditions and we'd have more or less the same risk of rebellion, and our dwarves can still gain skill. Also, I can't see why you want the slaves to revolt randomly, rather than as a result to the living conditions they've been put in.

Besides, your suggestion forces people into one intrepretation/ form of slavery, which is not a fun thing. Dwarves fortress is a game about choices and suchlike. There's always a different way to do things.

For example, why would the legendary carpenter be reduced to a husk of her former self. That would imply that slaves are always and uniformly treated badly. Maybe some players decide that they really want a legendary carpenter, and hence give her optimal living conditions, and above all a quite pleasant live, but still prevent her from leaving*.

*Such a person wouldn't be called a slave though, more probably a war prisoner of some sort. However, it's the same difference.

Basically, I'd like to see this system implemented as a framework, with dynamic behaviour coming from that, rather than a hardcoded enslave option.

Stuff needed for that:
-Military repression (Creatures less likely to riot when military is around/ punishments are increased)
   -More detailed tantruming and rioting behaviour (Refusing to work, deliberatly making crap, sabotaging, organised rebellion...)
-Rationing system
-Multiracial forts
-War prisoners stop trying to murder you.

So, when you want to enslave a group of [Insert Race here], you can release them as  war prisoner into your fort (with chackles and whatever security measures you want ), and order them to do stuff.
These would then behave as ordinary citizens (with lowered happiness from being imprisoned) and if the militia isn't watching them to well, they might try sabotage stuff, make low quality crap, or just plan a rebellion and fight their way out.

This combination of systems allows a variety of slavery systems, as well as more interesting domestic management and a whole lot of other stuff.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: February 09, 2013, 09:07:55 am »

Gee, something that goes against real-world AND in-game ethics, as well as not offering any kind of real in-game difference at this point? Who woulda guessed?

It's not a "final" argument against the suggestion, it's an argument against the idea at this time. There's simply no way you would ever see a slave working in DF right now, even if it was implemented. Wait until you can play/interact with slaves without modding, then it makes sense.
And you might as well defend your position by suggesting Toady make dwarves made out of living rock. This is Toady's idea of dwarves and their ethics, he's not changing it just so we can have slaves.

1,3. Why would we want slaves, then?
2. We don't need to give dwarves any living conditions. Doing so has less dire consequences that risking revolt.

Dwarves do most of this, and eating a third of what dwarves do A. won't help, given the ease of obtaining food right now, and B. would make a horrible negative impact on the slaves' ability to work.

Why would it fit?

-----

In case you've missed every time I mentioned it:
I AM NOT AGAINST SLAVERY, PERIOD. IT SIMPLY WOULDN'T WORK OR MAKE SENSE RIGHT NOW.
Thank you.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

stickadtroja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: February 09, 2013, 11:18:40 am »

10ebbor10: "Because we all know that Toady has the final say in whatever happens. These ethics were written up by Toady, and reflect what he wants the respective races to be, and hence, dwarves enslaving people is unlikely to happen. ..."

this is a bit weird since that goes against the whole purpose of the suggestion forum. we suggest things that we think would improve the game. he sees it and decides if he wants it. maybe hes first intentions where far different from what the game is now, multi z leves for example, but people suggested it and now it's there. or is this one of those guidelines, like the 1450's tech level? i dont view it being the same thing since dwarfs having slaves dont go against preconception of fantasy dwarfes that i know of. if toady somewhere stated that "dwarfs would never take slaves" as some fundamental part of his vision for the game, i will accept this and drop it, but to me it just seems he put it in the ethics, when he made the races and didnt think too much about it.

GreatWyrmGold: "...that goes against real-world AND in-game ethics..."

i dont see how the real world ethics have any relevance here. after all we murder countless innocent elves and migrants...?

Both of you have one strong argument however; why do we NEED slaves?
well.... hmm...

i guess the idea of a slave is someone of lower value, that is explendable. we already treat migrants this way so hmm....
maybe if we make killing slaves having less consequence that killing regular dwarfs? say that there is no unhappy thought generated by anyone else when they die. then you could make them do all the dangerous stuff.

then you have a dwarf (or goblin, elf whatever) that doesnt suffer from bad thoughts due to shitty living conditions, never have any high skill levels, and its safe to kill the dwarf without concsequence. that seems at least a bit usable to me.

10ebbor10: you have a point, that its kind of lame to have everything hard coded instead of dynamic, but i guess this could be a good start, until you get some serious social status simulation in the fortress.

sorry for bad english and lack of quote boxes.

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: February 09, 2013, 11:27:12 am »

Don't give me that shit. Implementing it now wouldn't do the subject justice, death brings up less immediately negative and personal connotations then slavery for obvious reasons, there's not an in-game incentive and if it expands the playerbase i doubt we'll like what it brings. It can wait.
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: February 09, 2013, 07:18:20 pm »

10ebbor10: "Because we all know that Toady has the final say in whatever happens. These ethics were written up by Toady, and reflect what he wants the respective races to be, and hence, dwarves enslaving people is unlikely to happen. ..."
this is a bit weird since that goes against the whole purpose of the suggestion forum. we suggest things that we think would improve the game. he sees it and decides if he wants it. maybe hes first intentions where far different from what the game is now, multi z leves for example, but people suggested it and now it's there. or is this one of those guidelines, like the 1450's tech level? i dont view it being the same thing since dwarfs having slaves dont go against preconception of fantasy dwarfes that i know of. if toady somewhere stated that "dwarfs would never take slaves" as some fundamental part of his vision for the game, i will accept this and drop it, but to me it just seems he put it in the ethics, when he made the races and didnt think too much about it.
Assume for a moment that you're right and Toady's game at the initial release was all DF was going to be at that point, minus fairly minor features.
You're still wrong, because if Toady didn't think dwarves should be opposed to slavery he wouldn't have made them so opposed to slavery. And for each player asking for slavery, there's two or three more explaining why it shouldn't happen.
Besides, dwarven psychology and culture isn't exactly the best for the development of a slave trade, even if they hadn't outlawed it.

GreatWyrmGold: "...that goes against real-world AND in-game ethics..."
i dont see how the real world ethics have any relevance here. after all we murder countless innocent elves and migrants...?
You were asking why people were opposed to slavery. I answered.

Both of you have one strong argument however; why do we NEED slaves?
well.... hmm...
i guess the idea of a slave is someone of lower value, that is explendable. we already treat migrants this way so hmm....
maybe if we make killing slaves having less consequence that killing regular dwarfs? say that there is no unhappy thought generated by anyone else when they die. then you could make them do all the dangerous stuff.
Like we don't have ways of dealing with unhappy thoughts.

then you have a dwarf (or goblin, elf whatever) that doesnt suffer from bad thoughts due to shitty living conditions, never have any high skill levels, and its safe to kill the dwarf without concsequence. that seems at least a bit usable to me.
Not to me.
The bright sides? No one cares if they die and they don't care if their living conditions are crap. Well, only a dozen or two dwarves out of a hundred or two are likely to care much, if at all, if any dwarf dies, and (for me at least) unskilled labor isn't particularly scarce. And since slaves are only good at unskilled labor, they won't actually help that much--especially with tendencies towards revolt.
Sig

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: February 09, 2013, 07:26:50 pm »

Even if the dwarves won't have slavery, I'm still on the "wait" bandwagon. I support it being implemented, but I don't so much say "DO IT NOW." It dosen't need to be now. It might fit with whats happening this release but if it was now, it would lack polish, plus, it's something for later in development, as we need to make the jigsaw puzzle fit together before adding more peices.
Alright you two. Attempt to murder each other. Last one standing gets to participate in the next test.

stickadtroja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: February 10, 2013, 11:58:36 am »

Assume for a moment that you're right and Toady's game at the initial release was all DF was going to be at that point, minus fairly minor features.
You're still wrong, because if Toady didn't think dwarves should be opposed to slavery he wouldn't have made them so opposed to slavery. And for each player asking for slavery, there's two or three more explaining why it shouldn't happen.
Besides, dwarven psychology and culture isn't exactly the best for the development of a slave trade, even if they hadn't outlawed it.

uhhh... you still not really adressing my point. you seem to say "cuz toady says so" and i just wonder how much those things are written in stone. where and when whas it decided that dwarfs should always be opposed to slavery? also why inst dwarven psychology and culture fit for it?

well i agree. my system for slavery inst very thought out. and as you all seeem to say, to wait for it to be implemented properly is of course the best way. but for me it was more of a instant rection when playing the game, thinking "slaves would be neat" and i still think it would have worked, in the game AS it is now. this doesnt matter though, since everything added to the game has to be part of the super long term goals. so what im guess im saying is that my suggestion was more meant for the partly broken, but still super lovable, game that it is today, not the amazing behemoth of a everything-simulator its expected to be when all the arcs are done and its 1.0.

still think that turning those goblin prisoners into haulers would be sweet.

assasin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: February 10, 2013, 01:10:14 pm »

Still think a milatary dictatorship with an oppressed lower class and continous rebelions would make more sense thematically. Why that would work would be that it would be easier keeping the military happy than every dwarf in your fort if a few minor changes to other systems were made. Why a more equal society would be better is that happy dwarves are better workers. But at the end of the day I'd still leave the decision to be up to the players.

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: February 10, 2013, 01:33:20 pm »

Certian aspects of slavery would fit now- but others are nowhere near ready, and some may not be realized.

Slavery by prisoner of war is the closest goal we possibly have and based on Toady's notes it seems to be nearly implemented.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: February 10, 2013, 09:09:20 pm »

uhhh... you still not really adressing my point. you seem to say "cuz toady says so" and i just wonder how much those things are written in stone. where and when whas it decided that dwarfs should always be opposed to slavery? also why inst dwarven psychology and culture fit for it?
Right there in the raws. If Toady wanted most dwarves to be fine with slavery, he would have made them fine with slavery.

well i agree. my system for slavery inst very thought out. and as you all seeem to say, to wait for it to be implemented properly is of course the best way. but for me it was more of a instant rection when playing the game, thinking "slaves would be neat" and i still think it would have worked, in the game AS it is now. this doesnt matter though, since everything added to the game has to be part of the super long term goals. so what im guess im saying is that my suggestion was more meant for the partly broken, but still super lovable, game that it is today, not the amazing behemoth of a everything-simulator its expected to be when all the arcs are done and its 1.0.
The problem is, DF lacks many features required for slaves to make any sense, including an economic role you need slaves for.

still think that turning those goblin prisoners into haulers would be sweet.
Why? Why is that better than using the hordes of effectively unskilled cheesemakers and such who migrate to your fortress?
Sig
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8