Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Bad Fanfiction that is Also Good?  (Read 5207 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Bad Fanfiction that is Also Good?
« on: January 23, 2013, 03:17:05 pm »

So I was thinking about Christian Humber Reloaded a terrible fanfiction written by a troubled youth and I kinda realised something.

In many ways the fanfiction was terrible absolutely terrible, and yet hillariously bad at the same time.

Yet DEEP down between the lines it is almost like a character piece on the author himself. I admit I poured over the words just to catch glimpses into the author himself as he had is invincible psychopathic avatar mow everything down. At times it was like I could feel the author writing the pages. I swear if I was in psychology I could do an assignment entirely on his story. It somehow transcended being bad and being so bad its good and kinda ended up in an area where it was unintentionally good if you looked at it from a certain angle.

So I am kinda wondering. Has there ever been a fanfiction, comic, or other kind of project that you became interested in not because of the quality but because it somehow revealed more about the artist then even well constructed novels and diaries have failed to?

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
Re: Bad Fanfiction that is Also Good?
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2013, 04:16:30 pm »

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2013, 04:21:28 pm »

My Imm-

Damn it.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2013, 04:31:34 pm »

Thirty Shades of Grey.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2013, 04:33:49 pm »

I've read plenty of fan fiction that was so bad that it was entertaining, at least.  I've lost the links to them long ago, but one set in particular were from the Lion King fandom.  They involved lots of adult themes, random anthro author OC self inserts, real life wrestlers and bodily functions.  The grammar and spelling were what you'd expect from a person who had taken about two years of English as a foreign language, and got a D+ in the classes.

It was clearly a series of troll fics, but I enjoyed them, since that was their intended purpose.  Certainly I'd say that they revealed something about the author, but just what I'm not sure, and not sure I want to know.

So, do troll fics count?
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2013, 04:34:20 pm »

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2013, 04:40:25 pm »

I've read plenty of fan fiction that was so bad that it was entertaining, at least.  I've lost the links to them long ago, but one set in particular were from the Lion King fandom.  They involved lots of adult themes, random anthro author OC self inserts, real life wrestlers and bodily functions.  The grammar and spelling were what you'd expect from a person who had taken about two years of English as a foreign language, and got a D+ in the classes.

It was clearly a series of troll fics, but I enjoyed them, since that was their intended purpose.  Certainly I'd say that they revealed something about the author, but just what I'm not sure, and not sure I want to know.

So, do troll fics count?
TT: The upper echelons of irony should always include measures of sincerity. And if the satirical practice is executed faithfully it will achieve something bona fide in its own right regardless.
TT: Through an intense commitment bordering on religious devotion to the absolutely inane, absurd, or plain fucking stupid, a very different kind of sincerity begins to materialize. One of reverence to the ridiculous. You begin to "mean it," but what exactly it is you mean is never quite what appears on the surface, and is utterly inaccessible to obtuse and literal minds. That you "mean it" then becomes inseparable from the joke, and additional rich strata of humor may be stripped aggressively from this irreconcilable truth.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2013, 04:44:03 pm »

Honestly I've heard theories that My Immortal was a troll fic, and frankly if it was the details it often includes, and included in other fics, are quite impressive if it was.

Mind you My Immortal is pretty close to basically a journal of the author itself. With the sheer amount of commentary she makes on her own story she has more lines then Enoby.

mcclay

• Bay Watcher
  • Gay, Tired and Just here to Vibe
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2013, 05:35:58 pm »

Gabrile Hawke, you know its bad when the site thats MSTing it has to censor parts of it. The author is fucked up as hell.
Am I back? Its a mystery to everyone

Ringmaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2013, 06:07:56 pm »

Thirty Shades of Grey.

Or just read the fanfiction that the author of Fifty Shades wrote and based the book on, it was originally hosted here (Titled 'Master of the Universe'), can't be hard to find elsewhere. (It's Twilight fanfiction, for the curious)

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2013, 06:13:09 pm »

Thirty Shades of Grey.

Or just read the fanfiction that the author of Fifty Shades wrote and based the book on, it was originally hosted here (Titled 'Master of the Universe'), can't be hard to find elsewhere. (It's Twilight fanfiction, for the curious)
I thought that FSoG was a Twilight fanfiction?
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

GreatJustice

• Bay Watcher
  • ☭The adventure continues (refresh)☭
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2013, 06:18:20 pm »

Neonivek waited. The lights above him flickered and sparked out of the air.

There were bad fanfiction in the forum. He hadn't read it, but had it expected it now for years. His warnings to cernel todey were not listenend too, and now it was too late. Far too late for now anyway

Neonivek had been a B12 dorf for 14 years. When he was young, he looked up at the posts, and he said to dad, "i want to be on the forum daddy". Dad said "No! You will be KILL BY FANFIC!". There was a time when he believed him. Then, as he got oldered, he stopped. But now, on the internet forum of Bay12, he knew there was bad fanfic.

"This is Toady!" the radio crackered. "you must fight the fanfic!". so Neon gotted his computer and read through the fanfic. "HE IS GOING TO READ US!" said the fanfic. "I will goff at him" said the My Immortal, and she fired the defilement (of) canon. Neon laughed at her, and tried to blew her up, but then the forum broke and they were trapped and not able to read.

"No! I must read the fanfic!" he said.

"No Neon," the radio said, "you ARE the fanfic!"

and then, Neonivek was in a bad fanfic.
The person supporting regenerating health, when asked why you can see when shot in the eye justified it as 'you put on an eyepatch'. When asked what happens when you are then shot in the other eye, he said that you put an eyepatch on that eye. When asked how you'd be able to see, he said that your first eye would have healed by then.

Professional Bridge Toll Collector?

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2013, 06:19:57 pm »

I thought that FSoG was a Twilight fanfiction?

It was based on one, but it doesn't actually have anything to do with Twilight or Vampires in its final form. You can't actually sell straight-up fanfiction. You can still see the themes in it, though.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2013, 06:20:02 pm »

and then, Neonivek was in a bad fanfic.
*golfclap*

mcclay

• Bay Watcher
  • Gay, Tired and Just here to Vibe
    • View Profile