Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: What luxuries do commoners deserve?  (Read 6283 times)

Necrisha

• Bay Watcher
  • 0.0 0.o o.0 o.o -.- zzzZ
    • View Profile
Re: What luxuries do commoners deserve?
« Reply #45 on: January 24, 2013, 04:12:06 am »

? who said I let my imbecile dorfs access to caverns? I said under/the really long way. If i didn't have a mason's workshop set to making dark blue cabinets for the metalworkers quarters at that time I would have. I think I locked him in the main mini lock and made the secondary one available when he started down that way for the second stone. lost that fort when the desktop went down. which is fortunate because it would instacrash on what I'm playing on now.
EDIT: Keas restricted to tropical forests where they belong.  Those evil, EVIL, foul little things.

Edit: The baby murderer became a friend of the fortress, which started a loyalty cascade, and now most of the squad is dead.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 24, 2013, 04:29:44 am »

Most of my dwarves get 1*3 rooms with a bed and a legendary communal bedroom.

Rutilant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 24, 2013, 07:07:57 am »

Everyone in my fortress gets a 2x3 room with a bed and a cabinet. When My fortress reaches it's peak I like to smooth everything out.

I was going to post what I did, but literally this is exactly word for word what I do.  I try and design in a city-like pattern so I'll drop a an 'apartment block' of 10 2x3 rooms here and there, though they're usually built from stone blocks in the soil level.  Stone layers are for nobility, my stone, and my metal working industries more or less. 

nanomage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 24, 2013, 09:42:31 am »

Fortresses exist for dwarfs, so my dwarfs get engraved (albeit small, 3tiles and a door) rooms, high-quality foods, diverse booze, quality clothing, luxurous communal faciliies and if I can afford that, a mail shirt and a sword for everyone. That's very small payment for their lives of eternal service, to think about it.

PanH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 24, 2013, 12:28:43 pm »

1*3 rooms, with cabinet, bed, door. Engraved (I've always have a few useless dwarves that I put in my engraving team, and once they finished smooth the whole fortress, they begin engraving).
I try to put them near their workshops (blacksmith near forges, etc).

Haulers can get their first bed after 5 years of hauling socks on the battlefield.

maluraq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 24, 2013, 01:22:54 pm »

My population is at 235 right now, and my primary worker quarters in my fashion district look like this:
What tileset is that, if you don't mind me asking? It's nicer than the one I have.

IronHand ... the one being maintained by someone else now that he's busy with r/l

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 24, 2013, 01:25:37 pm »

I just give them 2x2 rooms and usually start on giving them some sort of storage but never get round to it.
Actually, I often don't get around to finishing the rooms. I just give up halfway and build a big bunkhouse. Because I can divert resources elsewhere. And bad things always seem to happen in the areas where I put the rooms.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Rutilant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 24, 2013, 02:56:34 pm »

Yeah... My first 20 or 30 get rooms and then you get 'the' migrant wave and you give up because now that all these hungry jerks showed up you have to expand the food industry, screen them for skills, etc.

Gizogin

• Bay Watcher
  • [EVIL][RAWMANCER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 24, 2013, 05:58:14 pm »

Communal dorms to start, eventually upgrading to individual 1x3 rooms.  I don't normally do prepared meals, but I have an abundance of booze in all flavors.  Nobles get between 2x3 and 5x5, depending on rank and my own personal opinion of them. 

As a fun sidenote, my jails are 2x3, and the presence of high-quality chains and furniture (as I make my jails late in the game, after all my dwarves are highly skilled) makes them drastically nicer than the normal bedrooms.
Quote from: franti
"Let's expose our military to zombie-dust so they can't feel pain. They don't NEED skin."
Quote from: Ipwnurmom221
One FB post. Many dick jokes. Pokemon. !!VOLCANO!!. Dwarven mood thingee. Derailment itself. Girlinhat's hat. Cuba. Karl Marx. This is why i love Bay12 forums.
The rest of my sig.
Fear the fluffballs

Logen910

• Bay Watcher
  • Biting people to death since 126,000 B.C.
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 24, 2013, 07:49:16 pm »

I have two societies. A high society where every dwarf lives like a king and a lower society of useless cheesemakers and dyers, living infront of the closed doors of my fortress. They live in a dirty sandhole, where the sewage water of my water defense systeme is regularly dumped on them, which is full of blood and sewered limbs. Also all the higher societies trash in dumped there. I really wonder how many of them are able to survive for a longer time. Most of them go crazy after some time, as they are also regularly attacked and eaten by wild animals. I only defend them from bad goblins, which is why I build the automatic water defense system.
This is a russian player. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is studded with blood, death and pain and encircled with bands of bad grammar mistakes.

StLeibowitz

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_CENTAUR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 24, 2013, 08:39:34 pm »

I always give my dwarves a 2x2 bedroom equipped with a bed at the very least. If I get an unacceptably high number of idlers, I usually order up a cabinet and door for each apartment, but that's about it.

The manager gets an in-home office and more spacious 3x3 accomodations, while other nobles get the bare minimum that I can get away with since they are useless. Military officers get managerial-style homes around a large open shaft, as well as balconies with a wonderful view of the Grand Dining Hall below. Sometimes I put up dormitories near major industries like smelting at the very roots of the earth, but mainly everyone lives in the shaft or vicinity of the dining hall.
Generally, when one is conducting an experiment, it is worth noting that the observers went insane, killed each other, and then rose from the dead.
It's like DF inhaled a peanut.

lwCoyote

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 24, 2013, 08:52:04 pm »

Aren't 1xX rooms just hallways? :P

I make blocks of 20 3x3 rooms in a dorm sort of design; each dwarf gets a bed, cabinet and statue along with a door eventually. Smoothed and engraved with 'practice' engravings. Common dinning room, also smoothed and engraved and with statues if possible.

People can check out my LP on YT if they'd like to see it. Not gonna post the link here unless someone asks though, so that Im not shoving advertising down peoples throats ;)
This is an exceptional obsidian statue of Daral Darkscab.
The item is an exceptionally designed image of Daral Darkscab the dwarf and a slag bar (massive) in obsidian by Ksoth Lolorumril. Daral Darkscab is raising the slag bar (massive). The artwork relates to the masterful slag bar (massive) created by the dwarf Daral Darkscab for the Corridor of Matyrs at Monstergores in the late spring of 312.

I'm so glad my masons have chosen to memorialize the really important events.

javierpwn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 24, 2013, 08:52:31 pm »

I give everyone a 1x3 room, enough to fit a cabinet, bed, and door
Smooth that, engrave it, install windows

Everyone else gets to sleep in the 70 bed dorm, with legendary engravings
Everything's all good!

Tevish Szat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:diabolical schemes]
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 24, 2013, 08:55:43 pm »

Not when they're separated from the main halls by door, filled with furniture, and designated as a bedroom from a bed.
A medium-sized humanoid fond of fantasy and science-fiction.

Tevish Szat likes books, computers, board games, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, he prefers to consume hamburgers and macaroni and cheese. He needs caffeine to get through the working day.

Rutilant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 25, 2013, 04:23:33 am »

Not when they're separated from the main halls by door, filled with furniture, and designated as a bedroom from a bed.

But think of how tired your dwarf must be of having to vault his chair, duck his table, and climb over his bed every time he wants to put a sock in a cupboard?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5