Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: What luxuries do commoners deserve?  (Read 6297 times)

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What luxuries do commoners deserve?
« Reply #30 on: January 23, 2013, 06:14:53 pm »

When using single dwarf housing, every dwarf gets a 3x3 room, fully smoothed, with masterwork furniture and beds.

When using communal housing, anywhere from 2-4 dwarves will share a fully smoothed 5x5 room filled with masterwork statues, and with a heavily decorated solid gold statue as the centerpiece for the room.

I'm fond of communal housing as roommates will encourage marriage, which allows for more children and keeps the peasant population up.

JTTCOTE1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 23, 2013, 06:31:38 pm »

Wow, this has been popular!
Interesting that everyone gives such large rooms. My rooms are
cabinet-bed
           door
Commoners don't need more than a 1*2. Maybe it's smoothed, if I'm feeling generous.

crekit

• Bay Watcher
  • Doesn't know what he's talking about.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 23, 2013, 08:09:27 pm »

I've always gone 2x3 rooms. Bed door, and eventually a cabinet and chest. Smoothed and engraved, like EVERY SINGLE SURFACE OF THE ENTIRE FORTRESS. (<.< ocd)
I've yet to figure out waterfalls, I really should make a fortress devoted to water-works and the like.
<-- Has no idea what just happened.

He likes gold, native gold, trees that are made of gold, and tungsten. He likes cats for their haunting meows. He needs dwarf fortress to get through the working day. When possible, prefers to consume Potatoes, cheese, cow milk. Absolutely detests elves. And spiders.

☼!!Troll Fur Sock!!☼

• Bay Watcher
  • Hight Tentacle of the Eastern Marches
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 23, 2013, 08:20:09 pm »

while I'm processing immigrants
Sigged.
Quote from: Necrisha
Therefore, starve your metalsmiths for maximum gains.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 23, 2013, 09:37:54 pm »

Each of the dwarfs gets a 2x3 room with a bed and a door each.  First come is first served.  They may be smoothed and engraved but its a low priority.

Strangely, they get better homes after death.  A 3x3 coffin chamber, smoothed and engraved, for each dwarf.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 23, 2013, 10:20:11 pm »

Commoner gets whatever is left behind by my efforts to furnish the nobility (tends to be a lot)

Consider: my necromancers have their own compound, each with a personal engraved room, with a silver or gold statue, a glass cabinet and a bed (which, naturally, never gets used).

They also have lovely necropolis of slabs to hang out around and a statue garden facing the future hydra-breeding facility. The Duke has a throne room, attached to the necromancers' danger room (the only such in the fort and used only to counteract the booze slowdown)

The queen has a compound in the third cavern. She and her consort have personal chambers but share an enormous dining room. The ceiling of the dining room opens to a green glass dome, where a spiral path works as the training room for the queen's personal guard (sometimes they dodge off the spiral and right into the royal diner.) The queen's throne room is decorated with a simple silver throne (the necromancer duke won't give up his artifact bone throne), but features a four floor vaulted ceiling with an elaborate mist-generator powered by a small reactor hidden in the stone above the royal compound. A good part of this structure is wired to collapse into the throne room. The lever is in the Duke necromancer's office.

Finally, the commonfolk live in the hive, a round 7-8 storied structure shaped like a beehive, inspired by the little structure build to accommodate our bee industry early in the fort. The hive is marble on the outside and basal on the inside and includes storerooms, a legendary dining room and housing of varying levels of quality for the elite and poor dwarves alike.  The mayor lives in a human-style home on a hill besides the hive.

When I furnish the hive, I use all the furniture that didn't make it into the queen's chamber (no masterworks), nor anything good enough for the necromancers (just short of masterwork), and since making anything masterwork inevitably results in a big pile of useless low quality furniture, I tend to be generous with the conveniances.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2013, 10:22:01 pm by thegoatgod_pan »
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

TastyMints

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:love of murder]
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 23, 2013, 10:31:45 pm »

Commoners deserve a legendary dining room, fine food, strong drink, a bed, and a stone chest.

Nobles deserve anything they want, save a quick death.

trekkie5249

• Bay Watcher
  • Phaser Rifleman
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 23, 2013, 10:41:07 pm »

MAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGMMMMMMMMMMAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!![/size]
The only problem with The Next Generation was Wesley never had a terrible airlock or engineering bay related accident that left just slush.

hiroshi42

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 24, 2013, 01:24:13 am »

I generally try to get everyone a standard 2x3 room after the first year or two until I get the massive migrant waves of doom.  Lately however I have been going for a tower approach for my fortress and the room size has gone up a bit even if the shape is a bit nonstandard.  Generally bedrooms get a nice bed and maybe a piece of green glass furniture.

As for other amenities, I try to have a varied supply of booze and some good quality roasts for everyone.  I always think of these things as an insurance policy.  Happy dwarves are less likely to take an axe to their fellows. 
'Your' jetpack was last seen attached to a nuclear powered science tank on Mars.
It's faster to write "!!science!!" than any of the synonyms: "mad science", "dwarvern science", or "crimes against the laws of god and man".

Necrisha

• Bay Watcher
  • 0.0 0.o o.0 o.o -.- zzzZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 24, 2013, 01:41:07 am »

Sigged.

Well that was random. didn't even ask how I was processing them...
EDIT: Keas restricted to tropical forests where they belong.  Those evil, EVIL, foul little things.

Edit: The baby murderer became a friend of the fortress, which started a loyalty cascade, and now most of the squad is dead.

Tevish Szat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:diabolical schemes]
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 24, 2013, 01:55:00 am »

Sigged.

Well that was random. didn't even ask how I was processing them...

We just assume it was with the Process Immigrants Job from the manager... though it might have been Process Immigrants (Bag), Process Immigrants (Coffin) or Process Immigrants (Drawbridge)
A medium-sized humanoid fond of fantasy and science-fiction.

Tevish Szat likes books, computers, board games, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, he prefers to consume hamburgers and macaroni and cheese. He needs caffeine to get through the working day.

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 24, 2013, 02:34:27 am »

I usually devide my fort up into 4 districts: a slum, a middle class district, a high-class district, and Noble Quarters.

Slum rooms are little 1x2 affairs. Just a bed and a door, no smoothing, no engraving, and no furniture. It's tight, compressed, and usually empties out later on, only holding migrants and skilless peasants. It's the first set of rooms to get doors, though, so for a short time it's a luxury just to have a bedroom with a door on!

Middle-class housing is 3x3. Initally it's just a bed with no smoothing, but eventually I put in basic furniture (cabinet, coffer, maybe a chair and table) and smooth the floor (rarely the walls. The way smooth walls interact with rough walls bugs me, so unless I smooth the whole fort...). Sometimes I'll engrave things on the walls, since I have the visible engravings option on and it meshes nicer with the rough walls.

Upper-class housing is for the mayor, manager, book-keeper, broker, and their ilk, as well as legendaries who have useful skills. 5x5 rooms, with smooth floors, a cabinet, table, coffer, chair, armor rack and weapon rack, and whatever other luxuries I see fit to give them. They rarely get statues; however, I usually double up the table and surround it with chairs, to make it feel like they're ready to entertain guests. They get engravings too, and by this point my engravers are quite skilled.

Nobles get unique houses, usually sprawling palaces with branching rooms and hallways. They have smoothed floors and multiple engravings, plus statues and other decorations. If it's a big noble, like a count or king, they might have pools of water or 3-D rooms. One time I even gave my dungeon keeper a special seat at the Arena; windows along the bottom! While the commoners would sit and watch from the stands, and the Baron and Baroness were watching from the noble booth, the Dungeon Master got a chance to get up close and personal with clearglass windows looking into the arena... which was never used but whatever. It doubled as his dining room, too!

Someone mentioned tombs as well. My commoners are buried in communal tombs, a 10x3 block, but with notches de-designated from the long side to bury about six dwarves each. Again, the floors are smooth, and the wall behind each coffin is usually engraved. I also bury important or "rich" dwarves in 3x3 tombs, personal, this time. Nobles get large tombs, usually with fancy designs and traps in front. Most have an entryway of sorts, often with engraved pillars that either detail the life of the dwarf that is at rest there or the life of some random bloke who got a lucky shot on a badger that one time. I mean it was awesome. That badger didn't know what hit it. But we do. It was Monom. Monom hit it. It was awesome.
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

laularukyrumo

• Bay Watcher
  • Needs More Socks
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 24, 2013, 03:21:18 am »

For commoners, I consider "life" to be a luxury. "Deserve" might be a little egalitarian a word for my tastes, though.
Quote from: Dwarfotaur
Everytime one of my militia has given birth in the Danger Room, it's lead to instant baby smoothies for everyone.

Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Dat Sig Thread

Necrisha

• Bay Watcher
  • 0.0 0.o o.0 o.o -.- zzzZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 24, 2013, 03:30:38 am »

We just assume it was with the Process Immigrants Job from the manager... though it might have been Process Immigrants (Bag), Process Immigrants (Coffin) or Process Immigrants (Drawbridge)

More like an employment agency/CSIS: Identify all family members determine the value of ones already present, take a close look at all skills and attributes, then assign quarters. Isolation quarters/burrow/barracks for the ones that have been marked for FB/Gobbo/magma creature disposal. Regular quarters for ones that may create a tantrum spiral Upon death due to familial links. I once had a dorf who was related to two thirds of the fortress after half the military was killed.

I've had six siblings and both parents of a legendary armorsmith show up a single day before a gobbo siege. The tantrum was not fun, considering he was on break in the dining hall when I let my doors open to the mountainhomes. I hadn't found magma yet, and some bloody mood would take over as soon as I had the right names on the engrave slab list... One idiot child insisted on trying to carry cobaltite from below the third cavern up to the craftworkshop dedicated to making bone arrows and totems closest to the surface thrice... Though after a few killed stray lamas he calmed down enough to trust around masterworks so he was recoverable.
EDIT: Keas restricted to tropical forests where they belong.  Those evil, EVIL, foul little things.

Edit: The baby murderer became a friend of the fortress, which started a loyalty cascade, and now most of the squad is dead.

laularukyrumo

• Bay Watcher
  • Needs More Socks
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 24, 2013, 04:03:40 am »

One idiot child insisted on trying to carry cobaltite from below the third cavern up to the craftworkshop dedicated to making bone arrows and totems closest to the surface thrice...

And that's why you {v}iew their {i}nventory, and forbid whatever they're carrying (so they instantly drop it) and then go through and forbid anything else in the 3rd cavern layer so they can't fuck up and get eaten by crundles.

Or you could just feed him to crundles anyways.
Quote from: Dwarfotaur
Everytime one of my militia has given birth in the Danger Room, it's lead to instant baby smoothies for everyone.

Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Dat Sig Thread
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5