Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: What luxuries do commoners deserve?  (Read 6298 times)

locustgate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What luxuries do commoners deserve?
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2013, 09:25:57 am »

Everyone in my fortress gets a 2x3 room with a bed and a cabinet. When My fortress reaches it's peak I like to smooth everything out.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2013, 01:05:44 pm »

Happy workers make better goods. Everyone gets a grand bedroom, a selection of all fine wines (very few roasts though, meat is expensive and preserved via necromancy). Finest clothes, armours and weapons available too, free of charge.
Statue gardens, legendary dining rooms, great mausoleums.
The only thing they're missing really is a waterfall ^_^

Tevish Szat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:diabolical schemes]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2013, 01:29:48 pm »

1) Individual 1x4 bedrooms consisting of a Cabinet, Bed, Chest, and Door.  No attention is given to furniture quality, but it's all stone,  All surfaces are smoothed and engraved, resulting in some of those tiny chambers having multiple masterpiece engravings.
2) Free access to any and all food and booze in the fortress -- I don't bother to micromanage food and drink, grow surface plants if it's easy to do so, and at a certain point (generally when plants and booze are both stable over 1000) begin cooking lavish meals on repeat.
3) A shared dining hall with stone tables and chairs, and all surfaces smoothed and engraved.  I don't bother with mist generators, but if as in my latest fortress I luck out and get an artifact statue, it gets placed in the center of the dining hall and the entire dining hall rendered a statue garden so that all the tables and chairs are "Tastefully arranged".  The same would probably go with an artifact cage, preferably caging a FB, Titan, or Megabeast
4) Burial rights.  This always consists of a stone coffin in a 1x1 room with a door.  In older forts, I made each coffin a particular dwarf's tomb, giving a designated grave to every dwarf from the very moment of their migration to the fort or birth.  Nowadays, I just set the lot to be used for burial, so all dwarves know they won't be spending their hereafters in the reuse heap, but not exactly where.  Smoothing/engraving of tombs is only done if there's a lull, to keep engraver skill from rusting.
5) Later on in the lifespan of a fortress, commoners also get a Recreation Commons.  This occurs when I have a ton of low quality lead/tin/whatever (Usually lead if I have galena) statues from training my metalcrafter to work silver/gold for the nobles, and am tired of having them clog up the build menu when tastefully arranging the monarch's throne room: Statue Garden ahoy!  They get a zoo if I overused cage traps, consisting of a selection of surface wildlife.  They might also get a small zoo if the elves brought exotic critters I took a shine to, but didn't want to breed/have wandering about the fort.  If convenient, the Rec Commons will have a second well (the first and often only well of the fort gets built next to the hospital).  I've considered a mist generator in the rec commons, but it takes too much preplaning of the location of the commons to fit the plumbing in at z+1
A medium-sized humanoid fond of fantasy and science-fiction.

Tevish Szat likes books, computers, board games, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, he prefers to consume hamburgers and macaroni and cheese. He needs caffeine to get through the working day.

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2013, 01:31:51 pm »

Zoo filled with elves

MAurelius

• Bay Watcher
  • Philosopher King
    • View Profile
    • Marcus Aurelius Let's Play
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2013, 01:42:27 pm »

For those of you giving all your dwarves huge rooms and statues and glass furniture, doesn't the Baron and up get all up in arms about this? I would give all my dwarves gold furniture if I wasn't trying to someday succeed in keeping my noble happy.

PainRack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2013, 01:43:51 pm »

Deserve? I don't know about deserve, but its fun to give them what must be a dwarfish paradise of cabinet, statue gardens, nice dyed clothes, smoothed rooms, maybe even a statue if they're doing a good job, a tomb for them that's equivalent if not superior to servant burial grounds.......

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2013, 01:46:37 pm »

For those of you giving all your dwarves huge rooms and statues and glass furniture, doesn't the Baron and up get all up in arms about this?
My Baron is an Elite Marksdwarf who regularly fights the undead. He doesn't really care about anything anymore - not the least bit either about the equal treatment other Dwarves get!

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2013, 01:56:16 pm »

A rough, undecorated bed-
A rough, undecorated cabinet-
A rough, undecorated chest-
A rough, undecorated door-
4 walls

(Chests are a legacy amenity, leftover from when there was still Economy gameplay in fortress mode. Since Economy is broken and disabled, they arent explicitly needed, but you never know when toady one the great will turn it back on.)

Lich180

• Bay Watcher
  • Avatar by PlutoniumApe, "Urist McGuyFieri"
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2013, 02:02:11 pm »

Usually they get whatever odd size room I have available, going from 1x3 to 3x3. Nobles get 2 3x3 rooms, a 5x5 room, and a hallway/throne room connecting them all. That way I have plenty of space for crap to make them happier, and the general populace are thrilled because they have a bed, engraved walls, and maybe some furniture, depending on how lazy I am or how many legendary masons can tie up shops to get stuff cranked out to furnish everything.

The bedrooms are usually decent to "a personal palace" depending on the lay of ores and gems, and I try to carve rooms out of valuable layers to get the most out of the material bonuses.

Usually don't have any issues with bad thoughts, but my current fort is getting a little cranky because everyone has been packed into a 11x11 dorm for the last 5 years. Thankfully the military is the only one tantrumming, and any time they lash out they are in their barracks and just start a fight with other military members, getting a little more sparring going.

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
  • Has an ass that won't quit
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2013, 02:07:06 pm »

I give every dwarf (or married couple) a personal apartment, complete with a dining room, storage space, bed room, private statue garden, and a tomb deep underneath it. Sometimes when my forts are particularly boring and I'm running out of long-term goals I even outfit them with personalized furniture and constructions to match that dwarf's favorite materials (but I've only successfully done that once). For nobles, as you can imagine, I go all out with making them sprawling and luxurious palaces.

moki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2013, 02:24:06 pm »

In my current fort, they each have an engraved 2x2 room with bed and cabinet. In the past, I tried to make everybody ecstatic with 11x11 apartments for every dwarf, all engraved and with the very best furniture, even made to each dwarf's personal taste, but found it too cumbersome with more then 100 drunk midgets or when 60 of them decided to immigrate at once.
Now I only build special rooms for nobles and the few heroes that actually deserve it. No need to make golden furniture for some peasant whose only achievement in life is to test the newest magmaficator(TM) and find it in working order.

Maybe I'll build some proper housing when I get bored. I've got enough megaprojects for the next 20 years, so that'll have to wait a while. I always wanted to build a true above-ground city with wide streets and separate houses for each family, but didn't have the chance yet.
But my good sir, the second death was for Dwarven Science!

maluraq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2013, 03:08:30 pm »

My population is at 235 right now, and my primary worker quarters in my fashion district look like this:

I like to make them each 2x3 with a bed, chest and cabinet.  In fortresses with vampire issues, I often replace one wall with a glass window so passers-by will notice naughty blood suckers in action.  Setting some guards on patrol duty helps too.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2013, 04:40:07 pm »

Normally I run a 2x3 with 1 bed, cabinet, and chest similar to maluraq. Recently I've been trying out a new communal design though that is 8x9 and contains a total of 8 beds, 6 cabinets, 8 chests, a weapon rack, and an armor stand. Even though the rooms overlap with good quality furniture all eight rooms are good enough to stand for most noble positions, and the fact that multiple dwarves share a room practically eliminates vampire activity problems and promotes friendships (I've been trying out a "descendant" style fort).
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Dorfus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 23, 2013, 04:57:57 pm »

My population is at 235 right now, and my primary worker quarters in my fashion district look like this:
What tileset is that, if you don't mind me asking? It's nicer than the one I have.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 23, 2013, 05:20:59 pm »

Looks like IronHand, square corner variant.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5