Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: What luxuries do commoners deserve?  (Read 6300 times)

JTTCOTE1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
What luxuries do commoners deserve?
« on: January 23, 2013, 06:05:04 am »

What luxuries do you think commoners (non-nobles) deserve?
Do you provide them with cooked meals? Booze variety? Individual bedrooms? I'm wondering what everyone else does on these kinds of things, and others if you think of them. I just give individual bedrooms, and they can eat plump helmets and dwarven wine for the rest of their lives.

Master death

• Bay Watcher
  • This is why we cant have nice things!
    • View Profile
Re: What luxuries do commoners deserve?
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2013, 06:29:00 am »

Personally I like to start my embark with only one type of booze and only one type of plant usually plump helmets and wine then after in the game I gain more plants and I start a mead industry (from bee's)to make more alcohol, and as for bedrooms I make a 2 x 2 space for each individual, they seem content enough so I don't usually make them any bigger.

Necrisha

• Bay Watcher
  • 0.0 0.o o.0 o.o -.- zzzZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2013, 06:39:13 am »

I use prepared meals to either extend the amount of food I have or preserve overflow if the hunters manage to kill off a few herds while I'm processing immigrants.(no I don't kill them on purpose) I like to think of it more as pickled eggs/herring, salt cod, biscotti or english biscuts. I've had a few seemingly guaranteed tantrum spirals averted due to said meals and picking out a dining hall for either an amazing swirl of mined ore or way too many gem deposits in a small area. I also give them at least 2x6 rooms to give some movement space. If I end up with a few high level engravers I'll have sections of the main residential sector smoothed once the rusty tags start showing, just to keep them sharp while I'm digging out more important features. I have no problem drafting half of them into an emergency squad or to simply use the armor to preemptively harvest all the extra crap they wear to sell so it balances out.

If my fortress has been around for more than 5 years the ones that are legendary in metalworking, glassmaking or other highly valued skills get a level section warren to themselves complete with food catered to the easiest of their likes and if possible the cabinet is of a stone they like. Metal/decorative and engravings are reserved for nobility, and green glass/clay is prefered for personal furnishings. Militia commander/captains are treated the same as their troops at current. I haven't had a fortress much older than 6 years so I have built the queen's room, but have yet to fill one with out being annoyed by fps death.
EDIT: Keas restricted to tropical forests where they belong.  Those evil, EVIL, foul little things.

Edit: The baby murderer became a friend of the fortress, which started a loyalty cascade, and now most of the squad is dead.

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2013, 06:49:41 am »

I also give them at least 2x6 rooms to give some movement space.

If I may, that a pretty crazy room size...does it come with a mine track between the cabinet and the bed?
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

Necrisha

• Bay Watcher
  • 0.0 0.o o.0 o.o -.- zzzZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2013, 07:03:18 am »

Only for dodging exersizes  ;D - actually I mistyped :-X I ment 2x3 giving 6 squares total...
EDIT: Keas restricted to tropical forests where they belong.  Those evil, EVIL, foul little things.

Edit: The baby murderer became a friend of the fortress, which started a loyalty cascade, and now most of the squad is dead.

Aviator CJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2013, 07:23:43 am »

By Bay12 standards my dwarves live in the lap of luxury - each gets a mini apartment, with a bedroom and a dining room, each room is 5x5. All surfaces are engraved, and in my current fort they're all going to have green glass furniture.

And that's just the plebs - I really go to town for the nobles. Unless the nobles end up going for a swim in magma.
!!Science!!: Knowledge through magma

There's safe. Then there's unsafe. And then there's the average dwarf fort, which remains unrated because the OSHA inspector flatly refused to go anywhere within a dozen miles of the place.

Numeroid

• Bay Watcher
  • Back after a long hiatus.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2013, 08:06:00 am »

I give them whatever I can afford at the time. If I have plenty of stone, I'll sometimes give them each a statue. If I have a Legendary Engraver, I'll smooth and sometimes engrave their rooms, etc.

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
  • Death. To all. Except my dwarves.
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2013, 08:09:30 am »

I just dig in stone and have someone engrave it all.
ENGRAVE EVERYTHING.
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
“Do something!” she whispered, trying to keep her sight on all of them at once.
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

Coalwalker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2013, 08:13:12 am »

I give them 'modest' holdings: a 3x4 smoothed room with a bed, chest, and cabinet (actually two cabinets at my current fort...we have 700 cabinets laying around due to mismanagement). Offices for the appointed nobles in the habitation area, and a whole separate complex for the nobles and hammerer in a nice tower, far from the busy hustle of the dirty masses, where they never have to see their pretentious living arrangements. In fact they never have to see any of them. Ever. There are no doors.
So to recap, one minute everything was going just great, and the next we have caverns collapsing, firebreathing cave beasts, underground brush fires, a screaming swarm of poltergheists back for revenge, zombies in the corridors, drunken brawls in the dining halls, magma pouring into the caverns, rotting miasma everywhere, insanity, madness, and a flying crocodile heading right towards us!

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2013, 08:39:31 am »

My civilians live in pretty good luxury.  They get 3x3 smoothed bedrooms with a bed, chest, table and chair.  I used to give them cabinets, but that encourages them to stuff things in them and keep them forever.  I also cover the bottom of their bedrooms with a refuse pile set to accept nothing: this causes dropped clothes to eventually rot away, but not for things in cabinets.

They also get a legendary communal dining hall, high quality cooked food and a modest assortment of booze.  I typically end up with one major type with a smattering of five or six other varieties.  I used to just give them cheap clothes made from caravan purchased cloth, but lately I've been working toward well created clothing that is well dyed as well.  Doesn't help their thoughts, but helps mine.  :)
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2013, 08:57:45 am »

Only married couples get special treatment in my fortress.

When a couple marry, they get assigned a 1x2 smoothed bedroom with a door and a single basic quality cabinet. I stack 16 of these living cells into each work burrow, meaning a population of 32 married dwarves live in each.

The married males are assigned to the military, equipped with steel and melee weapons and sent off to patrol every third month. The females are drafted into the fortress guard, given bismuth bronze armor and crossbows, and sent off to keep the peace inside the fortress.

As regards food, it's usually purely roasted quarry bush leaves, with the occasional flavoring of dwarven syrup if I can ever get the dwarves to cook with it. I keep 3 types of booze on hand: ale, beer and rum. Communal dining halls with high quality constructions to offset negative thoughts, and mist generators when I have a stable fortress capable of the project.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2013, 09:01:15 am »

I try (if possible) to make large residential districts for my dwarves. This includes giving each dwarf, or indeed each family of dwarves, two 3x3 or (if one is feeling decadent) 5x5 rooms for a bedroom and a dining room. Every one of them gets their own 3x3 tomb.

I am Leo

• Bay Watcher
  • Ia ia Oggez Rashaz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2013, 09:06:59 am »

By the end of year two I have more masterwork steel trap components and golden furniture encrusted with jewels than I know what to do with. If I can actually be bothered to build the stuff my dwarves live in the most luxurious apparements I can muster, but by the time everything is covered in masterwork engravings the rooms are already legendary quality, so an aluminium hatstand seems a touch unnecessary.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2013, 09:21:29 am »

A lot of luxuries for my commoners, they don't actually own. I just put them in eye catching places so they get good thoughts from seeing them. This translates to putting coffins in the dining hall because hey, everyone visits there from time to time and they get to enjoy the high quality 'furniture'.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2013, 09:23:44 am »

By the end of year two I have more masterwork steel trap components and golden furniture encrusted with jewels than I know what to do with. If I can actually be bothered to build the stuff my dwarves live in the most luxurious apparements I can muster, but by the time everything is covered in masterwork engravings the rooms are already legendary quality, so an aluminium hatstand seems a touch unnecessary.

I once made a "noble district" in a fortress of mine, split up into the royal wing and the appointed wing. The royal wing included the dungeon master's quarters and the philosopher's quarters. Unfortunately, I discovered a vein of platinum in the philosopher's bedroom, but I didn't want to mine it because it would spoil the look, so I just engraved it all anyway. The dungeon master seemed to go into palputations every time he walked past it. He was so bloody outraged. Honestly, it just dominated his thoughts every time he even walked past that room just to go to sleep or eat or hang around or whatever. He would become really quite unhappy about the sheer injustice of someone like the philosopher being so well off compared to him.

You may ask why I did not simply exchange their rooms, but I decided that it was so funny I'd just keep it the way things were until it became a problem.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2013, 09:34:18 am by Owlbread »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5